Moist healing for road rash

Discussion in 'Health' started by noLungs, Jul 5, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    i took some damage this past weekend and have been doing so research on best ways to heal my road rash. I see a lot of articles discussing the benefits of keeping a wound moist and covered. Does anyone here subscribe to that method of healing?
    So far I have thoroughly cleaned the wound (right after the ride with a good scrubbing and a mild cleaning with soap and my hand every day) and have been keeping the wound uncovered during the day and covered with neosporin at night. I am seeing that maybe I should be applying petroleum jelly to the would site and covering with something like a telfa gauze or tegaderm.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Rob

2. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Yep. Heals faster/better. But sometimes it's a pain to keep everything covered.

Might be too late now if you've let it dry out that much.

noLungs likes this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I hit the pavement at 70 mph when I was younger and much dumber, resulting in a very nice case of medium-deep road rash. I didn't keep it covered or moist and it was completely healed up in an uncomfortable week and a half. YMMV.

I've also heard that it should be covered and kept moist. The Neosporin should do the trick better than petroleum jelly.

noLungs likes this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Agree on the Neosporin... Keep it liberally applied and you'll be good as new in no time.

noLungs likes this.
  5. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    Thanks gents. There will always be a next time to try this out I guess.

Kreature likes this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Women don't like the word "moist..." Fascinating.

I recommend surfing as a treatment for road rash. That'll keep it moist! And oozing.. and maybe infected! :confused: :sneaky:

noLungs and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Never had good results keeping wounds wet. Clean and air dry. If the scabs become too thick and painful, a nice coat of vaseline will take them off. Also, keeping hair out of the wound, by shaving your legs, can reduce the severity and shorten the healing time.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?