McGill Trail Conditions

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by CBone, Feb 14, 2015.

1. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    What kind of shape is McGill in? With this warm weather it ought to be good to go right?
    TIA

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    It's possible that there may be some snow/ice in the forever shady spots but it's doubtful with as warm as the weather has been. I would say go for it! :thumbup:

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    8/19/2017
    @Voodoo Tom and I cruised McGill Trail today.
    In great shape less the blown out corners from DH'ers and Newbies (No offense to the Newbies).

And then then there is this...
    Humongous tree rotted and fell right on the lower section. Looks like someone tried to build a lower trail and a branch/log step up but it is not rideable. I would not drive up there to attempt a KOM run. It aint happening until this bad boy is sliced and diced.

You can see right through the bark.
    DSCF1445.jpg

Trail runs straight through the picture and someone tried to make a lower go around. That's a big bag of nope!
    DSCF1446.jpg

Faust29, herzalot, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  4. xtrememtb

xtrememtb Member

Name:
    dc
    Current Bike:
    santa cruz heckler
    Thanks for the heads up, was looking to go up there for the first time this weekend.

Danmtchl, SnakeCharmer and Mikie like this.
  5. xtrememtb

xtrememtb Member

Name:
    dc
    Current Bike:
    santa cruz heckler
    Bumped into Crazy Bear shuttle service and one of the folks from the shuttle brought a hand saw to do some trail maintenance. Thanks for your service in clearing up some of the branches that are sticking out. However, the larger tree Mikie posted before is still there but I think the bypass is ride-able now if ya got the skill for it

8b3JBnHl.jpg

He was sawing this as well as I came down on my last run. It was easy to get snagged on if you have wide handlebars
    oWCnctnl.jpg

Mikie, RS VR6, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Saturday March 31st 2018
    Rode McGill Trail today. The whole trail was sluggish... seemed sticky.
    The lower section was damp from the rain and snow and although the trail had good traction it felt slow.

Someone has done some dirt work (Thank you!) and widened some very narrow and terraced section newbs and DH’ers destroyed. The trees across the trail that have been cut are still really not wide enough. That huge tree that fell on the lower section is still there, but someone has been whittling away at it. There is now a trail but you have to dismount to go under a large branch.

There is another tree that fell across the trail, you can ride under it both ways. A Dropper really helps to get under it on the descent.

The chatter bumps have dissipated from the heavy rains so the trail in some places is really fast again. The upper section got a lot of rain, and still had just a bit of snow. The two big trees across the trail are totally rideable down. Rain really eroded the trail in some sections adding to the tech.

Once it dries out it should be really fast. If no one gets up there soon with a chain saw, I’m gonna hit it up and clean back the dead and down so we have our flowy McGill back on the menu.

That is all!

UPSed, RS VR6, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    @Mikie, didnt you ride it today?

Mikie likes this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson