Maxxis Rekon+ 27.5 x 2.8 Good Tire, NOT a Good Plus Tire

Discussion in 'Tires' started by AKAKTM, Feb 16, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    The Maxxis Rekon+ 2.8 tire measures closer to a 2.6 and has a relatively low volume for a plus tire. That makes it somewhat of a tweener . Having ridden the Rekon 2.8, Minion DHF 2.8, Nobby Nic 2.8, Nobby Nic 3.0 and several other 2.8 and 3.0 plus tires, the Schwalbe tires are considerably higher volume and taller, which is what provides much of the plus magic. Again, the Rekon+ are good tires, but they are small enough that they are closer to the traditional 27.5+ wheel size than 29. Part of the advantage of 27.5+ is supposed to be that the O.D. is almost what a 29 is, but with greater compliance in rolling over things and more compliance for traction. If you are seeking a true plus experience, stick with 3.0 tires or at least higher volume 2.8 tires. If you are uncertain about stepping up to plus and only want to go half way, try the Maxxis. Having ridden both many times, I have a significant preference for the larger volume setup on moderate/wide rims.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, mike and 9 others like this.
  2. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Member

Name:
    Kelly
    Just made the jump to 27.5+. Loved the Hans Dampf front/ Nobby Nic rear on my 29er, but wondered about these Maxxis Rekon's that came on my new baby. I'll have to figure out what to do when these wear out.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Not as much experience as Tony above... But I have a keyboard! :D Started with the WTB Trailblazer 2.8 long before the plus craze became popular, and it was pretty much the only choice. More recently, I've tried the 3.0 Trailblazer, and the 2.8 Ikons. Love to try some 2.6 tires next...

I think the key phrase in the OP's statement is the "seeking a true plus experience" part. If that't the goal, then there's no comparison. The 3.0 tires make the 2.8s look like road tires. At 10 psi, a good 3.0 will eliminate a lot of trail chatter. They can make the Luge feel like fresh spongy pavement. But, I wouldn't want to drag them around on a long ride. But... If you're goal is to get just "a little more grip/squish" than a standard tire, I'd give the Rekons a fair test. Find the right pressures, and you might be surprised.

I like my Schwalbe 29er tires, but when I was reading up on the plus tires, the weight of the Schwalbe plus rubber turned me off. They make some heavy tires! Some of the Maxxis plus tires are lighter than standard Schwalbe (or Conti) tires. :confused:

Danmtchl, Mikie, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  4. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    At 10 psi I would be riding the rim on hard cornering. Tried running lower pressures on my plus tires, doesn't work for me. Plus tires only helped me in sand everywhere else not worth the weight. 2.4 for me.

Danmtchl, Mikie, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    True for 2.8s, which I run like 13-15/17-19. But the bigger the tire, the lower you can go... 10ish isn't uncommon for 200+ pound guys when you get above 3.0.

Plus tires will always be heavy to spin up, and squirmy as a wet noodle if you're used to regular tires. They won't be for everyone. You either like the feel or you don't. But I haven't seen one come off the rim... yet. And it seems there's more and more of the things on group rides nowadays. It isn't just @bigringrider101 and his funny bikes!

I'm gettin the urge to put the 3.0s back on!

Danmtchl, Mikie, LLPoolJ and 6 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    For the record, my WTB Ranger 3.0 tires measure about 2.8". I run them @ 14/12 psi

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The 27.5×2.8 Rekon was OEM on the front of my Niner. It was paired with an Ikon on the rear. I thought they worked rather well for lightweight XC plus tires. When the 2.8 DHF came out I put one on the front and moved the Rekon to the rear. The DHF was way more confidence inspiring and I was riding more aggressively. The Rekon worked okay but it was no match for the DHF. I eventually picked up a DHR II for the rear and that paired with the DHF proved to be a good combo. I've since put a new DHF on the front and put the older DHF on the rear. So far it has been the best combo I have tried. To be clear this combo is 2.2 lbs heavier than the 29×2.35 Forekasters I usually run and I generally use them for the chunky DH.

Danmtchl, Mikie, FizzyCola and 3 others like this.
  8. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I run the same pressure in all of my tire, even my 3.0's I tfold them at anything less than 27. I lose confidence as soon as I feel it fold. Ride then goes to Shhhht. I like to go fast.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I must be really slow. I run my 2.8 Minions at 14psi front and 16psi rear. Can't say I've ever felt a tire fold.

Danmtchl, Mikie, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  10. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Or I am just to sensitive.

Danmtchl, Mikie, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  11. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I only have one bike with plus tires, and the only one I ever tried.
    It came with Recon 2.8, and I love them!

One factor you can't ignore is the width of the rims.
    My rims are 50mm, and they make the tire footprint much bigger (vs. a 30mm rim).

12. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    How did you like these? I have a 2019 Salsa Timberjack on the way and they come with these tires. I will eventually swap them out when I go tubeless in the near future. But was just wondering what i could expect from them in the mean time? Also, what PSI did you run them at?

I’ll primarily be riding The Oaks, Whiting, Laguna, and the Santa Ana’s.

Danmtchl, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have a set of the 3.0 Rangers also... They were fun to play around with, but they were just too much tire to drag around in the mountains. They came off the Chameleon pretty quick. I put them on every now and then for short rides.

As far as traction goes, they pretty much stick to every surface like super glue. And they add an inch of suspension to the bike... :D

14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    What Steve said. Good tires that made me feel like I could climb up a brick wall. I run them most of the time, saving the 29er set up for special occasion rides. They wear out quickly IMHO. The rear needed replacing and I have the 2.8 Rekon on now, which is a good but not earth-shattering tire.

15. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Great info, thanks guys. Anyone have any experience with the offerings from Specialized?

16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Maybe it’s the combo of a Santa Cruz Hightower with 27.5 x 2.8+ Rekons and a 1x12 Eagle drive train but those tires have been magic! I think they grip better than the DHR+ when climbing but not as well stoping. But they stop VERY well!

I have climbed some very steep technical and loose stuff I could never climb on my Yeti. (2.4 x 26”)

I’m totally sold on 2.8x27.5 Rekons. The only con I have is fire road climbs. It’s a big tire to grind on.
    But your mileage my vary as I have not explored a lot of options...

herzalot, HBkites, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Yup just gotta say i agree completely with @Mikie and I love the Rekon 27.5x2.8’s. I still have the original set from when I built my Hightower and they have well over 1200 miles of some of the toughest stuff Socal has to offer. Yes they need replacing now but I just wanna see how long I can go with them. They measure 2.7 on my 38mm wide wheels. They roll good for fluffy tires. Grip is very good and extremely predictable. There’s been countless situations I’ve gotten myself in to that should have ended bad but they didn’t and I’ve gotta give the Hightower and the 2.8 rekons the credit for saving me cause the rider was plum out of talent.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?