March KB Trailwork days SUN 3/13 & SAT 3/19

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by Erik H, Mar 4, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 03-13-16, 03-19-16
  1. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Me too...

Mikie likes this.
  2. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    I'm really glad iMTB is coming out this weekend! Unfortunately, its looking like I may have to work but I think I've got enough poison oak from all the brush clearance to last me a few more weeks. You guys are lucky to come out now when its all gone! (well sorta)

If you are coming out PLEASE RSVP on the Facebook Event page. It really helps us a lot to have an idea of how many people will show up so we purchase enough food.

Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  3. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I'm in too.
    I already RSVP'd on the Face books, looks like I picked the right weekend to come out. I'm referring to the IMTB attendance not your (Erik H,) absence-of course:)

Mikie and Erik H like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'll RSVP tonight. I can't do Facebook from work.

QUESTION: I'm driving a Honda Civic there with my bike on a rack. What should I bring? Are you guys supplying the tools? Are we huffing the tools up on our bikes? Enquiring minds wanna know...:)

ALSO! Can I count on a couple more imtbtrails folks to jump in on this Saturdays adventure? Would be GREAT to see you out there!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Sasquatch9billion

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Post work El Prieto!

6. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    @Mikie details are on the Facebook event page about what to bring. https://www.facebook.com/events/912749525506004/

You won't need to haul tools up on your bike. There will probably be 1-2 trailers max going in. Do plan to RIDE your bike with all your trail work clothing, etc. on hand so a good big pack that you can lash a hard hat onto is normally a good idea.

Mikie likes this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks Erik!
    Details:
    The Ken Burton trail has been closed since the station fire in 2009! Come out and help us get this trail open! We are joining forces with CORBA.

Bring your bike because were riding to the trail work area! Tools are provided.

Please bring long pants, long-sleeved shirt and hiking boots to wear. You can change on site. These are required attire by the Forest Service.

Other recommended items include sunblock, plenty of water, snacks, sunglasses/eye protection, baby wipes (poison oak is not fun) and a healthy work ethic!

Meeting Where:
    Meeting near the JPL parking lot (corner of Windsor and Ventura Ave). We usually gather up around on the corner on Mountain View Ave. since the normal lot fills up. Come down Mountain View and you'll see the group not far down from corner. Don't forget to RSVP to be counted for lunch!!

If you are earning points for your free shuttle ride with SCOA, make sure you send your email to trailworktoride@mwba.org

Erik H likes this.
  8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay...
    I kicked my own azz today. @Sasquatch9billion , @Fueledbyex8 , @Voodoo Tom , and I did major trail work side by side with the MWBA, OTB, and CORBA crews today on the Ken Burton Trail. What an awesome experience. Not only did we get in major trail work, but getting there and back I think we rode like 18 miles with close to 7 maybe 8 of it climbing.

There was a Mrs. McG siting (with cookies) first thing in the morning so the day was already complete.

Plus! MWBA has this chick named Jenny who totally took care of us in regards to a spread of food after the trail work for the day was complete. First class! (And, she's pretty hot!:eek::rolleyes::oops:)...
    Voodoo Tom was in charge of the pics today, so it's up to hime to post.

Cisco Roots, Erik H, ridinrox and 4 others like this.
  9. Sasquatch9billion

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I'm wiped out now man. It was great seeing and riding with @Mikie @Voodoo Tom and @Fueledbyex8 and meeting the ubiquitous Mrs. McG! Oh and I finally met Hans-El Presidente- of OTB, super cool guy.
    That post trail work nosh was definitely first class.
    I think IMTB will have a few new members after today:thumbsup:

Cisco Roots, Erik H, Luis and 5 others like this.
  10. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Thank you! Hugs from me Robin Mcg. ♡♡

FB_IMG_1458442651844.jpg

FB_IMG_1458443203786.jpg

Cisco Roots, ridinrox, Luis and 4 others like this.
  11. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Agreed with @Mikie & @Sasquatch9billion on the self inflicted azz kicking and being totally wiped out. Just getting to the KB trailhead is work. Since I couldn't fit all my crap in the camelbak I started the day off in my blue jeans for the ride up to the work site and that friends was not a good idea at all. Normally I can hold my own on the climbs but I about died with my being over dressed. Today was a great day though with members of all the different clubs putting in some hard work. Started off with some super delicious cookies and more importantly a Mrs McG monster hug.

While a group of 6 or 8 tackled a monster earthmoving expedition by constructing a beautiful switchback the rest of us spread out below and tried to shape a trail.
    IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

This dude had a vision of how these few corners should look and he created a masterpiece. For somebody who loves the chunk he was in a flow kind mood today.
    IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

After the trail work we suited back up to ride on back for some lunch. At this point in the day my riding skills were non existent as I'm sure Mikies Go-Pro footage proves. Had a pedal that was difficult to clip in and impossible to get out of and it just totally threw off my game (not to mention I was dead azz tired and thems wuz some crazy azz switchbacks).

Luckily when we got back to the staging point the red carpet was rolled out for us.These MWBA folks are top notch and know how to take care of their people.
    IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

Free entertainment was provided by the dogs trying to get at these two raccoons who were camped out in the treehouse.
    IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

The San Gabes trails are the real deal and I've never ridden there before. Everything from narrow, sketchy, chunky, exposure & impossible switchbacks make for some good fun. I'll definitely be back.

12. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    You guys/gals rock!

13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    So just so you know it's not ALL WORK and NO PLAY!
    Here are some pics from after the work was done and we were heading back to rendevous to get grub and commune...
    Yeah... You guys blew it! :whistling:

The Man! The Legend! Voodoo Tom! Ready to roll our new trailwork!
    KB.VT.1.jpg

This was some major work that Steve Messer and Company did to make this switchback happen. That is VT in the background and my (uh...) crotch in the foreground.
    KB.VT.2.jpg

VT and I rolling along just before our trail section.
    KB.VT.3.jpg

Oh! Oh YEAH! Look at the work of imtbtrails. Are we bragging? Well no! But we did want to show we were serious about our contribution. :thumbsup:
    KB.VT.4.jpg

Yeah... We included a fast banker.

KB.VT.5.jpg

This was off camber before we started. We were toast by the time we got to here.
    KB.VT.6.jpg

Little exposure at the bottom of Ken Burton.
    KB.VT.7.jpg

KB.VT.8.jpg

The imtbtrails GoPro see's all...That's S9B bailing off his bike in the background.
    KB.S9B.1.jpg

Coming in for the landing... AND...?
    KB.S9B.2.jpg

...HE STICKS THE LANDING...NICE!
    KB.S9B.3.jpg

Sasquatch9Billion is an awesome, awesome friend!
    KB.S9B.4.jpg

KB.Gabrielino.1.jpg

KB.Gabrielino.2.jpg

KB.Gabrielino.3.jpg

KB.Gabrielino.4.jpg

KB.Gabrielino.5.jpg

KB.Gabrielino.6.jpg

We had to put up with some hiker scenery.
    KB.Gabrielino.7.jpg

KB.Gabrielino.8.jpg

KB.Gabrielino.9.jpg

MWBA is a first class organization. I totally look forward to our next opportunity to work together!

Cisco Roots, Erik H, jaime and 8 others like this.
  14. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    There is nothing more fulfilling than working on a trail system and giving back.

Bravo gentlemen......

15. burt

burt Member

Name:
    burt
    Nice work.

16. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Here is a little time lapse video that Steve put together from one of the trail work days...

Bummed that I could not make it out there on imtb day but hopefully some day soon we can make this a ride that we can all come out and do :thumbsup:

17. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    @Luis I second that hermano !!! But will make time one of this days to go and help, I work graveyard (8:30pm - 5 am and got home by 6am ....) And it is hard to go that early and work but will try and switch one day off for a trail work day !!!

18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm telling you it's a great experience to be with like minded, hard working people who truly love teaming for the greater good!

If I understand it correctly, Jenny Johnson is president of MWBA and they are first class!

19. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    Yes, Jenny is our president. Glad you had a good time at trail work. People commonly don't believe me when I say that trail work is far more exhausting than a long ride. Rewarding too!

Here's the MWBA board page that has info on Jenny, etc.. https://mwba.org/current-board/

20. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Thanks for coming out and representing IMTB!! Thanks for putting in those hours! Sorry I couldn't be there as well. Hopefully I can make the next one!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?