Maple Springs to Motorway (night)

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Faust29, Oct 22, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 10-26-16
  1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ride Name: Maple Springs to Motorway (night)
    When: Wednesday, October 26, 2016
    Time: 5:30
    Where: Maple Springs Trailhead
    Ride Description or Details:
    Maple Springs, across Main Divide, and down Motorway. :)
    ~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location:
    Skill Level:
    Intermediate
    Ride Pace:
    Type of Ride:
    Rider Limit:
    Anticipated Mileage:
    Elevation Gain: <4000
    Ride Duration:
    Previous Ride Reports:http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/i-rode-my-bike-today.2149/page-167#post-66467

Possible Bail-Outs: Bailout back down Maple Springs. Once on Main Divide, you're in!
    Facilities:
    Food/water suggestions:
    Option to Upload:

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Should be really nice after the rain......IN.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ok... We got one! Come on... There's another one or two out there who want to give it a try. :thumbsup:

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    And I promise to behave myself....so come on fishies.....someone else bite that worm on that hook.

Mikie likes this.
  5. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    I might be able to swing this one.

mtnbikej likes this.
  6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    It could be epic out there..smart little fishies will swim along!

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Midweek rides in the Santa Anas aren't doable for me unless I have a day off. Someday...:thumbsup:

8. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Crap just paid attention to my schedule and I'm out. I can only do Tuesday evenings that early during the week. I'm on pickup duty for my daughter.

mtnbikej likes this.
  9. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Want to, yes. But I can't get down there in time due to the new job location/hours/commute :(

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    .67 inches on Motorway, and .55 at Santiago Peak... I may need to get back up there again on Sunday. :thumbsup:

Untitled 2.jpg

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I would be on this ride... if my wife wasn't out of town Wednesday night and I have daddy duties :(

But Sunday may be in the cards - as long as I am back in time for the wiener dog races / Oktoberfest at Old World. I have to leave my haus by 1:30 PM.

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'll probably post it again next week... Motorway is really growing on me.

mtnbikej likes this.
  13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I would love to go - never been. The last time I was about to go the fire broke out. I've only been up Maple Springs once, just to get familiar with that part, and have been wanting to do Motorway.

Funny thing about the Santa Anas. After missing a turnoff ONCE - 6 years ago - I am very leery of going too far on a new ride without a guide :)

Just need to buy a decent light between now and then...

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    If you do a little research....the SA's aren't that scary.

It's actually really easy to navigate...there really aren't that many turns/trails out there.

kioti, BonsaiNut and Faust29 like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Steve has heard this story, but for the sake of public confession and redemption, I will share it with all...

Worst ride (but most educational ride) I've ever had. Six years ago I joined up with a stranger that I met on STR to do the Holy Jim / Trabuco loop. Neither of us had ever done it. I had printed maps, as well as the route on my Garmin. At the time, this was a big ride for me. Very hot day in September, 2010. Midweek ride - we were alone in the parking lot. I had a small (1 liter?) water backpack.

Got up to Main Divide without an issue, but I was surprised how physically challenging it was for a 5 mile climb (never haven ridden HJ before). Took off on Main Divide and hit the Wall in full sun / heat. This was about when the water ran out - but I knew I was getting close to Trabuco (somewhere) and relief. My Garmin was a little glitchy, and as I jostled it I managed to somehow disconnect the battery and couldn't turn it back on. My riding buddy and I were both hurting, but we were trying to put a brave face on it. At the bottom of the last climb to Trabuco (that I didn't know was the last climb to Trabuco) we were enveloped by the greatest swarm of flies I have ever experienced. Swatting at flies, dripping in sweat so that I could barely see, we got to the top of the hill and I paused to look for a trailhead. My riding partner, in total agony, said "f$%^k this" and shot through the clearing and down the hill. I followed, but after about a quarter mile started to feel panic. We shouldn't be descending. We had missed the trailhead. I started calling for him, but he was too far ahead to hear me. We didn't stop until we hit the pavement right before BlueJay.

Now I was in trouble. I was dead tired, out of water, and I was seriously worried about time pressure because I had to be back to pick up my son from school at 2 PM. We started back up the hill, but it quickly became a HAB because I just didn't have the strength to ride it. I remember sitting down on the side of the trail, in the shade of a tiny bush and trying to eat a protein bar, but I didn't have enough saliva to swallow it and almost choked.

Somehow or other I managed to get back to the top, and we found what we assumed to be the Trabuco trailhead. Now that I know where it is, it is easy to find. But at the time it was a little overgrown, and I believe even to this day it is unmarked (?) but I haven't ridden it in a while. That day it was completely unmarked. We tumbled down Trabuco and made it to the parking lot, and thank god I was smart enough to have left some Gatorade in the car. I tossed the bike in the back, and shot home, and was only 15 minutes late picking up my kid.

I learned about a dozen valuable lessons that day. The first thing I did when I got home is I ordered a new 3 liter hydration pack that I use to this day (though I don't always fill it up). I also got a new Garmin. And I bite off the Santa Anas a little bit at a time. I have since ridden HJ/Trabuco a ton, been up and over the peak, down Joplin, up and down Harding (23 times so far this year), etc. But my spider sense is always tingling when I go back in those mountains, particularly when I'm alone. I am much more respectful and cautious. And though I'm sure I would find the trailhead to the Motorway without an issue (given that I have looked at it in Google Earth a million times), it is just a little too similar to the time I thought I could locate the trailhead to Trabuco - but didn't :)

The farther North I go, the farther from my home, so the North end of the Santa Anas is still Terra Incognita to me :)

16. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    If I can sneak out of work in time. 50%

mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'll send you my number in PM...

Grego likes this.
  18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Ride into your fear, Bonzai-san. The way of the samurai is forward, like a thrusting sword.

BonsaiNut, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'll be posting this ride frequently, along with its bigger brother (Black Star to Motorway)... I'd be glad to show you the way some time. Either route will give you a good dose of Main Divide.

mtnbikej likes this.
  20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Faust29 likes this.
  21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    By the way... bonsai and banzai are two different things. Banzai is a toast or battle cry. Bonsai are little trees in pots. Bonzai is neither :)

Runs with Scissors and kioti like this.
  22. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thank you for instruction, bonsai-san. Perhaps a toast is in order? :thumbsup:

Also, recommend riding Motorway in daytime when possible. Nice views of Maple Springs, and the ride from Black Star is especially scenic.

23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    How long do you judge this ride to take (in general) if you park at the lot at the top of Silverado Canyon? Took me 1:35 to get from the upper lot to Four Corners on Maple Springs (riding leisurely pace). How much longer do you think I should budget to go from Four Corners along Main Divide and down Motorway back to the lot?

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Looking at the ride we did a couple weeks ago, which was also at night... We were 1:24:00 to 4 Corners, and 2:40:00 for the whole ride. From 4 Corners to the top of Motorway is 6 miles, mostly downhill. But, like most of Main Divide, there are a couple good climbs along the way.

If you budget anywhere between 3-4 hours, that allows for some breaks and time to check out the sights.

https://www.strava.com/activities/742982326

25. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Really? Hmmmm... Maybe I need to invest in some lights after all :sneaky:

mtnbikej likes this.
  26. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    So, you did 3,600 feet of climbing on a 16 mile ride(actually less since it's mostly downhill after mile 7) on a single speed and only had a suffer score of 55. That's so not fair! I'd be triple digits for sure.

MS-Motorway.PNG

27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Is the motorway trailhead marked on Main Divide? I'm thinking of doing this tomorrow just to see it during the daytime...

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    There is a post/trail marker. If you have a garmin.....upload the route to it. You can't get lost.

From 4 corners....you will go past 2 white forest service gates(both are open). At the second gate, is the start of the Motorway off to the left. In the daylight, you can see the trail.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=47

29. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Its sign posted (as Silverado trail) - you can't miss it

This is what/where you're looking for -

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

30. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Oh, haha that's easy :)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?