Mammoth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HBkites, Aug 18, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I've been to Mammoth plenty of times (over the last 25 years), but never in the summer.

My wife and I decided to take the kids for a quick "back to school vacation", and naturally (to me) I'm planning to do some biking. This is more of a family vacation, but knowing the my teen princesses like to sleep in, I know I'll have and hour or two in the morning to explore.

I looked around Strava, Geo, MTB project ect., and I'm some what disappointed but the amount of public trails info I found.

I'm planning to rent a 6"bike, and check out the lift serve trails once, but what about some socal style XC trails?
    Do I need to get a Pedal Pass for most of the XC trails? Does the altitude make riding/climbing a real PITA (I'm on a vacation after all)? I'm looking for 10-15 miles singletrack trails. Any info will be appreciated.

2. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Mammoth Rock/Panorama trail is fun and you can ride right from the condo/campground in town. The trail starts just east of the lakes road after it crosses the Twin Lake bridge. Fun ride with great views. Starts in the forest with big trees and berms and roots, and then crosses Old Mammoth Road and becomes rocky and somewhat technical at speed. I prefer climbing the paved bike path to get to the trail head. Climbing the Mammoth Rock trail could be hazardous to your health with people bombing down the trail. Stava says I logged 9.4 miles and climbed 1,130 ft. starting on Meridian and Mono St. Moving time was 1:16:55. I took my time.

The Horseshoe Lake Loop is a beginner trail but is fun when you ride it fast.

I have also done the Mountain View Trail. Do it as a shuttle as the loose pumice is brutal on the climbs. Come to think of it the loose pumice was kind of brutal on the way down in some spots. Not as much fun as the Mammoth Rock Trail but it is fun too.

Info here: http://explore.visitmammoth.com/bucket-list-guide-to-mountain-biking-near-mammoth-lakes/

3. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    You can put your bikes on the town trolleys for a free ride up to the lakes area. To get to Mammoth Rock Trail. There is some extra stuff at the bottom of Mammoth Rock Trail that takes you around the most likely dry now pond. Some nice little sections of Aspens riding down there.

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Dean is the "dry pond" you refer to Red's Lake? I vaguely remember that area back in the day...

Danmtchl likes this.
  5. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    IMG_5848.JPG

Not sure but here is a picture of Crash Maxwell wading in it.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Definitely NOT Red's Lake. That looks much better! Thanks Dean! :thumbsup:

Danmtchl likes this.
  7. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Thanks,

Off we go.

Danmtchl, CBone and Mikie like this.
  8. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    The 3" tires on the new Stumpjumper 6Fattie worked amazingly well going down Skid Marks (and the rest of the mountain).

Skid Mark.jpg

Danmtchl, RS VR6, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  9. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Some how I ended involved in organizing a guys trip to Mammoth in Oct.
    One thing we can't figure out is when will they shut down the bike lift service. I called their reservation center, and they didn't have a definitive answer.
    Apparently, last year the lift ran until the end of October.

Are we taking an unreasonable risk by scheduling a trip so late in the fall?
    Would it make sense to add the Cannell Plunge on the way back?

Danmtchl, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  10. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  11. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    We fish up there that time of year and its snowed once but light out of the last 8 or 9 years. Just a matter of the lifts staying open.

Danmtchl, Mikie and HBkites like this.
  12. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Highball
    I could be wrong, but you might be fine without the pedal pass if you're riding first thing in the morning. There is a lot of variety on the mountain and I think it's definitely worth checking out.

Also, if you can get your family to buy in, Lower Rock Creek is worth the stop on the drive home. It's just off the 395 past Tom's Place. Super fun singletrack that takes about 45 minutes, about 90% downhill. They'll pick you up at the bottom and will be about 15 minutes closer to Bishop, so the net time it takes is only about 30 minutes. (Honestly, it always takes a little longer than that, but it's a good way to sell it).

13. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I was looking at buying tickets for Mammoth and they wouldnt sell anything past the last weekend of September. Did you see the pics and recordings of their "Skiing in August" event? Even the campsites are closing earlier than normal too.

Bootleg Canyon in mid-late October is fun, the LBS in town shuttles it on the weekends.

Danmtchl and HBkites like this.
  14. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    We usually go to Mammoth around early September. I think that if you do go to Mammoth...you're missing out if you don't use the lift service. Even going as far ac McCoy Station and going down...its an amazing fun ride. We always stay at the Mammoth Mountain Inn. Its right next to gondola. We just ride over from our room to the lifts.

The altitude does mess with you. I was sucking wind just walking from the car to the check in desk at the Inn. You can always tell the out of towners from the locals as the low altitude dwellers are always gassed.:Roflmao

Here is a recent quote from a local that posts updates on MTBR.

Some pics from last year. These are trails that are on the left side of McCoy.

Except for this one.:D
    IMG_20160912_113526.jpg

The missus on "Seven Bridges"
    IMG_20160911_143131.jpg

The major sucking wind part.
    IMG_20160911_140334.jpg

Danmtchl, Faust29 and littlewave like this.
  15. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Yes do go to Mammoth and do buy the lift service. You basically end up climbing 1/3rd of time and descending 2/3rd of time, which will enable you to go out and have fun for longer
    The trails are in really good shape right now, thanks also due to the thunderstorms last week
    More trail have been made too. A new blue trail called Midtown is quite a joy.
    We came home Sunday night and already miss it :-(.

Brake Through, Juniper, Timber Ridge, Off the top are good blue trails

Skid Mark, Shotgun and Seven Bridges are good orange ones. Seven Bridges is the best

Twilight Zone, Velocity and Pipeline are good red ones. Follow Me was still a bit soft

The purple ones like DC-10 (not open yet) are over my head but i am sure they are fun if you can do it.

Four lifts are open. Gondola for Off The Top 1.5hr downhill fun, Gondola Midstation for all the techy fun like Twilight Zone plus entrance fo Brake Through to Seven Bridges / Lincoln Express combo. Discovery chair for the easy family friendly green/blue downhills. Chair 2 / Stump Alley for Recoil to Midstation and a often quicker way to get to the middle of the mountain since the gondala takes time to load. Chair 16 / Canyon Express for Follow Me and west side of mountain like Lincoln to Juniper is so much fun

Then try to combine the final downhill to town, if you stay in town with Panaroma Dome trails fo Mammoth RockTrail

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    But the question is, will it be open mid october?

Danmtchl likes this.
  17. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Ah sorry, no I don't think so. We are going again last week of Sep when there is also the extra lure of Okotoberfest in the Village. Mid oct they need to start clearing the features to be ready for the snow season. They cannot risk doing it too late due to possible unexpected snowfall (I chatted with the manager up there, ran into him, that is how he explained it)

Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  18. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    It think by the time September hits...it's pretty dead up there. We left on a Monday and the town was almost completely empty. We got there the day of the Mammoth Gran Fondo. The town was packed...the next day...it was crickets. I mean it could be a bit different this year. The park is opening up so late...but I think by the time October hits...they'll be prepping for ski season again.

Danmtchl likes this.
  19. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Don't go during the kamikazee games in sept. A chunk of the trails end up closed for that and it's a bummer.

Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  20. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Loaded up with 6 bikes. Ready to roll.258647E6-95E4-479F-96A9-175B2469DFC1.jpeg

Danmtchl, UPSed, DangerDirtyD and 8 others like this.
  21. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Have fun. Headed up next week for some fishing and Lower Rock Creekin

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Great set up!!!
    Have a blast!

Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  23. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    currntly snowing in mammoth, according to wathr channl.!

24. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    We did get some snow this morning.... we heading down to rock creek.C11C0CC7-0AE8-4A71-825B-E18677364496.jpeg

25. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    DAC5EEF0-305B-495E-9A66-C078C8CE0656.jpg We did end up riding in the snow...... As long as it is under 4", and the general direction is down, it was a blast.

Cyclotourist, herzalot, scan and 6 others like this.
  26. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Who knew that the 2.8 Recons work so well as snow tires.20171021_121142.jpg

27. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
  28. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    A few more pictures:
    7C901D80-8701-47B0-9AD6-AEFA34DCD957.jpg
    The Aspen forest at Lower Rock Creek.

0BE6833F-21E6-4DC5-AD7E-3DAFB717C9C7.jpg
    Lower Rock Creek Trail

4D8FD094-92F1-4CAB-B8DF-9EC697628655.jpg
    Mammoth Rock

1E223E93-3490-445A-B454-D29E2405EF48.jpg
    Sherwin Meadows

983190CD-28C0-4A08-83D9-F8E79F5E1BD7.jpg We got some drone footage.

9FC1FF4E-FA36-49B7-83C6-B3161AB24734.jpg
    Mammoth Browing Co.

29. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Did Rock Creek yesterday then road to Bishop. Trail was in good shape.

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Beautiful!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?