LCWP TnA Trail

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by knucklebuster, Feb 3, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Simple questions:
    Why not designated trails or traffic lanes?
    Was riding down at Space Mountain at the Yeti Demo and there was a section of trail that was split up by a wooden fence for hikers and equestrian on one side, mountain bikers on the other.
    Initially that may sound lame, but lets face some facts. We are always complaining about hiker traffic, OC trail use is not going to become less. Easily double trail capacity by splitting the trails. Easily put at ease the major concerns of hikers of being run down by us crazy cyclists. The money spent on separation would easily be recovered from reduced expenditures on excessive trail maintenance on our side of the trail.

Simple solution. Maybe too simple?

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Mikie Interesting proposition, however, I cannot imagine any form of trail separation that would match the aesthetic definition of a wilderness park, and installing any type of barrier seems to introduce liability - hitting the structure and being injured by it, having the structure collapse or decay, etc. I also can imagine that a division down the middle of sections of trail would push trails out even wider.

Designated use trails, designated use days or one-direction trails are other ways to potentially decrease conflicts between trail users - though more rules means more rule breakers, thus more enforcement demanded by those offended, and potentially more conflict as a result.

pperrelle, HBkites, mike and 4 others like this.
  3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    In regards to aesthetics, I have seen plenty of split rail fencing in OC Parks. With all the new tech engineered composite materials (many of which are recycled materials) I'm confident and convinced there is something out there that would satisfy that category.

In regard to liability, people have sued for getting hurt on fire roads so liability is not going away anytime soon. We are a user group that rides a substantial amount of technical. I have ridden next to barbwire fences at high speed, 6 inch narrow trails with extreme exposure, and bouldery, rocky, chunky death trails. Due to my mentality of I own my results, lawsuits have never come to mind towards others for my mistakes or crashes. But there are those out there that feel society owe them compensatingly (<-- I made that word up), for their lack of judgment or ability or short coming.

In respect to trails widening, that has to be managed no matter what. It's not a lack of inability, it's a lack of control points to direct traffic. Thus "P" lines on technical sections. If you can't ride it then you "shouldn't" ride it. You got to take the falls and hopefully learn from it to get better.

Let's face it. There is no REAL successful multi use trail. Everyone wants them. Everyone pretends it's a common goal. But it does not make sense to have hikers on a screaming technical descent, no more than it makes sense to include hikers on a motocross track, or a four wheel drive trail. Someone is going to get hurt, or have their feelings hurt.

Splitting a trail makes perfect sense in OC. Doubles the capacity, gives hikers a spectator view where they may even grow to understand our sport. Gives us the technical we want while allowing for Hiker trails to be maintained to their liking and a sense of security. To be honest, I'm so convinced of this that it would be tough for someone to convince me other wise...;)

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Let me be the first to chime in with "it works on the FLoop!!"

No really, it does. Coming down "Mormon Hill" bikes go right, hikers and horses and all others go left. No conflicts, everyone sings Kumbaya.

I've only witnessed one crash there and that was excessive speed, which carried the rider into the opposite side - a chain link property line fence. Shattered elbow. But not due to the barrier.

mike, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks for your suggestions, Mikie. Here's my take:

Wilderness parks come with their own set of rules and regulations. They come with far more restrictions than other areas and were created to protect our unique and amazing biodiversity.

I think the user conflict problem is exaggerated. We do surprisingly well given the area's population density and park popularity. Fences on single track in Aliso or Laguna Coast would create a safety hazard, and necessitate doubling or tripling trail width. Not going to happen, as habitat is king and plant and animal survival trumps recreational user demands. Also, structurally, we had kiosk/shady benches at key trail intersections, and they were removed because they detracted from the wilderness aesthetic. Its also my understanding that most user incompatibility is attitudinal, rather than accident-based between user groups. Due to limited options, we have the trails we have and the goal is to have them no wider than necessary. Multi-use is a mandate and there are no plans to make mountain bike-only trails. Continued education, riding in control, and cooperation/respect between user groups is our best strategy, IMO.

6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Everybody ride SAFE and nobody gets upset. Irie!

mike, Mikie, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @kioti I hear yah...
    Excuse me while I rant light frustration at the narrow mindedness of OC Wilderness Parks. They talk Wilderness Protection and aesthetics until deep pocketed contractors pave it over with ridiculously overpriced housing tracts calling them upper end communities.
    For forum conversation purposes labeled stimulating talk, a wider trail is simply a wider trail and has in my opinion no significant impact on wilderness. How do they feel that a wider trail impacts biodiversity? This is nothing more than excuses for they simply don't want wider trails. Heck, I don't want wider trails. @Voodoo Tom and I prefer the brushy scratchy singletrack we ride. What biodiversity does Car Wreck contribute to biodiversity? Maybe accelerated erosion, I guess. When you look at the square footage of a trail compared to the square footage of the wilderness area, it is insignificant.

I reckon my suspicious mind is leading me that they are just tolerating cyclists, that fashion is more important than function. Mountain Bikers are the hooligans of the OC Trail Network. I rarely take any government officials at face value anymore. They all have agenda's that they must work to and do everything to say as little about it as possible. Money talks.

There.
    Rant complete.
    :)

8. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I had to do a bit of compression with this document. If anything got lost in the compression and you want to see the original, PM me your e-mail.

2015 ANNUAL PROGRESS REPORT and 2016 ANNUAL WORK PLAN
    NATURAL COMMUNITY CONSERVATION PLAN (NCCP) and HABITAT CONSERVATION PLAN (HCP)
    IMPLEMENTATION AGREEMENT (IA), SECTION 4.4.5

Attached Files:

9. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Mmmmm 184 pages, nice work Strand!

StrandLeper and Mikie like this.
  10. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Thanks @Andy, @herzalot , @StrandLeper, @MattB @kioti for taking your personal time to attend the meeting with LCF folks, and sending updates to us on IMTBTrails.

Yeah, wow, looking at the pdf doc 17-0134-1 on @strandlepers post #111, the document titled "Laguna Canyon Foundation and OC Parks trail management plan" e-mailed from LCF to OCParks around Sep 2016.... The report identifies issues with various LCWP trails (doesn't say who identified them as issues), what has been done already, and suggestions for what to do in the future to fix the issues.

Specifically in the report, Old Emerald trail, Old Emerald Falls (BVD) and the middle and lower Laguna Ridge trail (TnA) all have recommendations to reroute, or if reroute is not feasible, armor the steep sections (my paraphrasing, some of the wording is different for each trail, but the same point). Also recommended is to re-do the armor on Lizard since "current armored sections are being skirted and need realignment".

I assume (Shouldn't do that, I know) but fairly sure that "armor" means concrete turf blocks. So if the recommendations are approved and go forward, all of the legal, reasonably steep, challenging/fun mountainbike trails in LCWP will be rerouted to less steep or the steep parts concreted with turf blocks.

I sure hope we have some say in the proposed work on these trails, but really not sure since it could be the MO for OC Parks and LCF to get the trails more friendly for all users. And that's just LCWP. Not sure if LCF does the same report and suggestions for Aliso/Wood Canyon park.

Some of you guys have heard my opinion on concrete pavers. Every time I will argue to just do more regular trail maintenance rather than install pavers. Ruts and blown out berms are better than concrete.... Maybe places that get really muddy like Stagecoach.. but pavers are ugly, and give a fake, urban road riding feel to what was a natural trail. Personally I don't like the feel of transitioning from concrete to dirt or vica versa, esp at high speeds like in that lower berm on 5 Oaks. The effort to get them to the trail is crazy.

I'll stop, thanks again guys for the efforts!
    TL/dr: Always have CNF/ANF :thumbsup: :confused:

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    If you ride at Snow Summit or Mammoth, you ride a lot of pavers. As I stated, I am not a fan, but they may have their place if used sparingly to keep a trail from blowing up into a 30 ft. wide swath. I still prefer natural rock armoring, but it's costly and logistically difficult.

Falling on pavers SUUUUUCCCCCKKKS!

Mikie, pperrelle, StrandLeper and 2 others like this.
  12. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Mammoth uses pavers because they're building with pumice. Snow Summit's not a volcano, but the soil might not be compactable. Much of Aliso has dirt with a high clay content. You could set up a pottery factory on Meadows. I'd rather mix some clay into the dirt where needed than use pavers. They don't even match the surrounding dirt color, and have to be installed carefully or they'll end up with exposed edges which are hazardous to riders and ankles. I do like the cheese grater effect on gear and skin, as well as the bounce you get when your bones contact them at speed.

13. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    With the way they use sandbags to stockpile and move dirt around, that would make a lot of sense to move some of the high clay soil to mix in with the areas of 5 Oaks that get blown out and powdery in the summer. Who knows, maybe someday we can convince them.

14. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Aliso and Laguna Coast parks were established to prevent the kind of suburban devastation that happened at Newport Coast. You had to see it to believe it.

I agree with you to a certain extent about trail width, but at some point a wide trail isn't that different from a dirt road. Do you know that we have riders on this site who appear to LOVE dirt roads? :whistling: And others who can barely tolerate them? :eek: FWIW, most of our trails around here started out as ranch or mining roads, and others as game trails. We'd like to preserve the game trail trails. :)

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Ahem!!! They don't call them "truck trails" (Santiago, Monroe, Silverado...etc) for nothing.

They began life as actual roads. They have deteriorated into amazingly fun singletrack. In the interest of historical accuracy and "wilderness," shouldn't we return them to their original road state?

And sorry, but to designate anything in urban OC (including Laguna) as wilderness smacks of hubris. It's not a wilderness no matter what you call it. Half (or more) of the stuff growing there isn't California native anyway.

Mikie, Luis and kioti like this.
  16. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    What the hell??

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    No, I'm not trying to just stir the pot...but to call it wilderness is an exercise in futility and is disingenuous to boot. I just look at reality. If you can sue the county over an attack by a wild animal (in this case a mountain lion) in a wilderness park, and WIN, how in the heck can it be a wilderness?

I'm sure we all remember this one - to me it's just the most vivid wtf moment: http://articles.latimes.com/1991-08-24/news/mn-789_1_mountain-lion - "We had always felt that it was the county's responsibility to warn us (about mountain lions in the park), and I feel pleased that the jurors agreed with us," said Sue Mattern-Small, Laura's mother.

Caspers in this case, but it could be the same in any of them.

Do we really need signs to tell us that there might be wild animals that can do us harm in a wilderness park? If so, then we as a species deserve what we get. If not, then perhaps we're getting somewhere. But the bottom line is that if you go to LCWP, you're not in the wilderness. You can walk to "civilization" in no time, and there are boatloads of people around.

Let's be real. It's a great place to recreate, but it is by no means a wilderness.

Mikie, Redman, Voodoo Tom and 2 others like this.
  18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Next you're going to say California Adventure isn't really an adventure park. I did see a really large mouse there.

19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Well, it's not called "Soaring over California" anymore....:whistling:

Mikie likes this.
  20. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    My friend Facundo Malbran is having some success in working with OC Parks on LCWP and Aliso trail maintenance without going through LCF / Trail Mix. We should think about linking up / supporting his efforts. He is a VERY good guy. He LOVES mountain biking and introducing kids to the spot. From what I know and understand, his ONLY agenda is keeping our trails, maintaining our trails, and teaching kids about mtn bikes and mountain bike etiquette and trail respect.

He reached out to me yesterday.

Disclaimer: He re-did my yard, we have friends in common and I have donated to his mountain bike group before.

Edit: Whenever he is riding with his group of kids on the trail or around town and they see me, he tells the kids that I support their group and then the kids thank me. That is the kind of guy he is.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=laguna canyon riders

Oaken, Mikie, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  21. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    I received the mother lode from OC today. Posting tonight. At dinner at Elway's in Denver right now. Freaking amazing. Client giving me dirty looks. TTFN.

Mikie, littlewave, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  22. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Let's just say that LCF's fingerprints are on the TnA ridge destruction... in a big way.

Mikie, MattB, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  23. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    TnA Trail "Restoration" phase 2 Work Plan

Attached Files:

Mikie and littlewave like this.
  24. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    2016-2017 Annual Report

Attached Files:

25. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    This was the grant that was used to fund the back hoe used to rip apart the bedrock on the TnA Trail (and build the new entry).

Attached Files:

26. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Here are the bills from the contractor for the back hoe for ripping out the bedrock on TnA (and other works as set forth in the invoices)

Attached Files:

27. The entire idea of "multi use" seriously needs to be reconsidered by land managers in areas where hiker/horse/MTB conflicts occur. The mode of operation is always to remove bikes from conflict areas. That's bullshit. Dedicated up/down segments with users considered are the way to go

Mikie likes this.
  28. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Head of OC records reached out and told me that I will have the balance of the records by 3-31-17, FYI.

29. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    That's a lot better than April 1st.

Oaken, StrandLeper, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I tend to totally agree with this. We love the idea of friendly multi use trails, but lets face some facts, nobody wants their 8 year old running around on a hike with his parents as a mountain bike bombing the trail. Smart segregation in highly congestive areas only makes sense.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?