Knee pads - why don't you wear them?

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Varaxis, Dec 9, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Whaaaaa? No oxford comma?

Edit... well, I guess it still makes sense. :x

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  2. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    I rarely wear them, the times I have been hurt and been off the bike for a length of time pads would not have helped. Separated shoulder, cracked ribs, and hyperextensions. I can live with the cuts and scratches. I did once spider fracture a forearm and if I would had been wearing a hard shell arm pads it would have helped.

Dean

Mikie likes this.
  3. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    Because I don't like to. Honestly, I just haven't found a pair of knee pads that work for me. They're hot, limit mobility, and often the slip-on style ones slip around on me. I have the G-Form pads and I used to like them until they stretched out. Now I need clear shin pad tape to keep them in place.

Mikie likes this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Spoken like a hockey player! :thumbup:

5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I just dont like them, so I don't wear them.

Mikie likes this.
  6. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Does this pass? I doubt it would if it were a guy instead.

MjNcUOL.jpg

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You can't tell by looking. You have to wear them to see if they work.

But yea, those might make your ass look fat.

Mikie likes this.
  8. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Knee pads absolutely must be worn with baggies. No Lycra. I think it says so on the packaging.

Mikie likes this.
  9. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    ..afterwards you can play Rollerball.

au500roller-rollerball.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  10. I wear g-form knee pads whenever I'm on dirt. The g-forms may not provide as much protection as some of the other pads, but given the kind of riding I do, they represent a good balance between protection, comfort and convenience.

(I categorize myself as a "casual" rider. I ride to be outside and to see the sights While I enjoy the adrenalin of the occasional smooth, flowy, twisty singletrack I sometimes get to ride, most of my dirt riding is on fire roads in the mountains or service roads in the desert. My goal is to get where I want to go.)

Mikie likes this.
  11. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    Haven't been on here in a while. Yep, I used to play hockey, so I used the shin guard tape. It wasn't comfortable.

Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  12. pwe312

pwe312 Member

Name:
    Eric Thai
    The G-Forms actually work pretty well on hard falls. I've fallen 10 feet on my knees, smashed my elbow on a boulder, and ate it a few times on the big bear jumps. I might get a few small scrapes where there isn't any padding, but nothing that kept me off the bike.

Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    So what pads are the cool kids wearing these days? Specifically looking at knee pads. I want something I can pedal all day in. Not really interested in the G-form type. Suggestions?

14. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I like these ones....

adam-huber-by-rick-day-1-620x822.jpg

15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^This is troublesome^^^
    o_Oo_Oo_O

16. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Everything G-form makes just reminds me of the Ninja turtles. I mean, they were cool when I was a kid but I'm not into cosplay or comic-con.
    The 661 pads I've had for maybe 4 years are still in good condition. But, I'm thinking I'll go with something like the 7idp "transition knee guard," next time I'm in the market. I can't recommend any 661 models, the tags cut and scrape your knees as you ride.

herzalot, Cornholio and UPSed like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Thanks for reminding me about 7idp. Their UPS driver is out of our Center and gave me a catalog a few months ago. Cost is a good price I believe.

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey, Ed... None of the knee pads I've owned were/are comfortable enough that I would not want to slide them down over my calves during extended climbing. I'm currently on these light POC knees for XC: http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/2143/joint-vpd-air-knee

Your natural corrosive (salt) will ruin elastic in time unless you rinse out your pads regularly. Some designs are more dependent on elastic than others. My POC elbows are useless until I sew some new straps on them, because I can't be bothered to regularly rinse them out.

UPSed and Cornholio like this.
  19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I've been using 661 Evo pads for 2 years now and like em. I wear them for my entire rides, even while climbing Black Star. Granted I don't climb as much as Mike but they are comfortable enough that I forget I'm wearing them (have even found myself driving home in them after forgetting to take them off).

BUT! The elastic is starting to give, thanks for that little bit of info above @mike. I thought I was losing leg muscle from not riding a lot but now it makes sense that my pads are probably ready to be replaced. They were slipping down the other day for the first time in 2 years. (I rinse/wash my pads every 10 rides, maybe)

UPSed and mike like this.
  20. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    after 2 spills (one by a rattlesnake lying across the entire width of the trail half way down Cactus/Oaks), I finally put
    my Fox Launch Pro to use. I hate climbing with them on so they're at the ankles and prob would not pass any imtb visual inspection.
    It seems I'm the only one doing that on the trails, the most frequent comment is "nice ankle weights".

I need another epiphany to get me to wear the elbow pads...

Runs with Scissors and UPSed like this.
  21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Because I don't need no steenkeen knee pads. I would never crash. :rolleyes::bang:

UPSed and mtnbikej like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    How about wound care as an epiphany? Trip to ER for sutures, keeping it clean and dry, change dressing regularly, keep dry in shower, take your antibiotics, don't bump it against anything, don't bend it much, etc...

I don't expect my g-forms to keep my arm from breaking, just to keep me from getting cut up. They're essentially arm warmers with a pad. Super easy to wear, tote, clean.

@siata94, if it works for you...

23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    After reading a few reviews I decided to go with the 7idp Transition elbow and knee pads. Since they are local and I am getting them direct I'm sure they will take care of me if I have any problems. 20170208_104532.png 20170208_104516.png

24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I like the look of those mister! I want to know how they work out. Thanks @UPSed !
    Mikie

UPSed likes this.
  25. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    ack, sorry to hear that Mike!

I have the TLD Lite so they're pretty lo-profile and can fit under some loose long sleeve shirts and
    I always wear LS. And other pads that are bulkier that I could carry up and put them on as needed.

All it'd take is one sharp rock and it'd be pretty unpleasant. And from my avatar, still trying to
    play competitive league, my wrist/elbow is sorta essential.

I'll wear them for next ride :).

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  26. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    can we have a DISLIKE button?

herzalot, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Roger, mate. No sharp rocks involved, just flopped onto the ground and got enough of a slice to have me go to the ER after a few days of thinking I had it sussed myself. (As it turned out, I did a "pretty darn good" job...) PITA and completely avoidable. +1 on the LS, can save some damage. Aged skin is Sh!t for durability, busts open if you look at it wrong.

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and UPSed like this.
  28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Ain't that the truth?! Remember when we were bulletproof?

Mikie, mtnbikej, mike and 1 other person like this.
  29. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Clipped in. Always always always LLD sleeves with plastic elbows.

Unless a j-zilla Santa Ana fire road death march is on the menu, I wear the TLD fabric knee pads with Velcro top and bottom.

Wash each once per week bcz putting on smelly shizzle is Third World.

I got bit on Stairs last weekend (yet another burp on the waterfall on my xcountry bike. Those Enve 50/50s don't dig low psi) Glad that I had them on.

I sometimes pull them down for long climbs, but mostly I just ignore them and turn the pedals for fear of forgetting to pull them up.

DangerDirtyD, herzalot, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  30. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    IXS Make some comfortable stuff.

Carves and Flow.

I am riding in the Flows light I like them a lot. They only have on strap which fits at the top of the calf muscle pretty much stay in place relatively cool. On a long climb, I just push them down if need be but haven't really needed to.
    http://www.ixs-sportsdivision.com/en/shop/flow-knee-pad

I also have the Flow Elbow Pads, light weight wear almost all the time, its definitely lightweight protection.

Carves are a little more coverage but still pretty comfortable.
    http://www.ixs-sportsdivision.com/en/shop/carve-evo-knee-guard

I also have POC Elbows I think the protection is really good but I am one od the few that seems to think the put the bottom strap in the wrong place so they don;t stay up reall well.

UPSed likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?