Knee pads - why don't you wear them?

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Varaxis, Dec 9, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I personally feel somewhat naked going on a mtn bike ride without knee pads, as if I were riding without my helmet, after riding with them so often. Despite that, I find the main thing that keeps me from wearing them are fashion reasons. Mainly how goofy they look when worn with short shorts that leave a gap of flesh showing between the bottom of the shorts and the top of the knee pads. Comfort with knee pads seems to get much better after a few wearings, as long as they can stay in place. Haven't found any bargain bin knee pads that pass the comfort test.

Don't see many others wearing knee pads. Why not?

2. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I never have worn them. Not once. Just because that's what I know. When I started riding there were no bike specific knee pads. I am, however, researching them and will be buying sooner than later. I am seeing more and more people wear them, elbow pads too.
    But, I understand your point about feeling naked. I wear knee braces when I ride MX. And, would not even consider riding without them. If I showed up at the track and realized I didn't have my knee braces. I would pack it up and go home.
    So what are you wearing now. And would you recommend them?

3. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    I went from bargain bin to RaceFace Flanks until they started shredding up after about a year and a half, to 661 Kyle Straits until I found out they didn't absorb much of the impact, to POC VPD 2.0, and finally back to alternating Kyle Straits with VPD 2.0, depending on the kind of ride I was going, choosing based if I wanted comfort or protection.

As far as recommending, I really liked the built in shin protection in the Flank and how low profile (thin) they were. I like the comfort of the 661 Kyle Straits (discontinued, replaced with "Rage" I think). The VPD 2.0s are a bit bulky in front and a bit small... I don't like them that much overall, but I wanted something that would absorb big impacts and it does its job.

If I had more disposable income, I'd be checking out the 7idp offerings or the Dainese Hybrid, but I think the 661 Kyle Strait, if you can still find them, is the best knee pad for getting started, as comfort/fit probably should be top priority. One thing I look for in fit/comfort is the strap placement and how secure they are, generally with the lower strap being above the fattest part of the calf, not on or below it, and the upper strap able to stay secure if your knee is bent 90 degrees and straightens from there. I think the strap under the knee makes more difference in fit.

Dainese (left), 7idp Tactic (right)

2EP5NO6.jpgnzewrpc.jpg

4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    You wearing just for DH, or for extended climbing also?
    I haven't worn knee pads much, and only occasionally elbow pads. Although elbow/forearm guards are a very good idea.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I wore knee pads for all trail riding for about two years. 661s or Race Face. I recently realized that when I fall, I roll over my forearms and elbows more than I hit my knees, so I stopped wearing knee pads except for dedicated DH days or when I am riding fairly tough trails. I think knee pads look cool and signal your intentions, so long as they are paired with proper shorts. However, they are uncomfortable for pedaling up long hills.

I wear elbow/forearm guards for descents. Nice brush protection too.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable and confident. But please - check with me to see if it matches acceptable mtb style guidelines.

Mikie likes this.
  6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I changed my mind - I luv ya again!! You constantly make me laugh ...

Don't forget to go cut down some trees, you have been hangin in Newport Coast just a tad too long. ;)

Mikie likes this.
  7. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    It really depends on where I'm riding.

I use Kali Aazis knee & elbow pads, and if any section of my ride deems that type of protection, I'll wear them the entire time including long climbs.

Cycling specific pads that slip on out number the strap on variety unless you're including moto pads. Slip on type pads require taking off shoes every time you want to use them. My Aazis are like that, so I just wear them the entire ride if I intend on doing anything stupid.

Mikie likes this.
  8. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I've been using the G-Form elbow pads for a few months, but I never really "tested" them....
    I'm thinking about getting there knee/shin combo.
    The elbow sleeves are very comfortable, and I'll use them as removable sleeves on a cold ride (dirt or road).

Does anybody have any experience with G-Form pads?
    Do they work as advertise when you hit the dirt (I got them after I busted my elbow on the Main Divide)?

http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDet...6uQrFrceY2daiWzcAt7aNnXRUY7yl0YGosxoCwPLw_wcB

Mikie likes this.
  9. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Great topic Varaxis !!
    I'm currently using the Aazis too, and they feel pretty good, stays in place and after 4 falls I am really happy with them, bought them from my lbs jensons for $38 bucks

uploadfromtaptalk1418232077946.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  10. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I don't always wear knee pads but when I do, I'm Downhilling!
    I've been using the 661 EVO pads. They're not as bulky as the Kyle's and are quite comfortable to wear. I've hit the dirt a few times and they stayed where they were supposed to stay, on my knees not my shins! :p

sixsixoneevokneed30.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  11. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I don't wear them because I dont like how they limit my mobility. They usually make me hotter so that can be an issue when things get warm. I rarely care about how they make me look, but, if you wear pads and lycra, you will look like a fool! Believe me, I know....
    I typically only use protection when I'm shuttling, lift access ride, or general, all around, nastiness-like Palm Cyn. I use the G-Form knees and elbows. Something like Palm Cyn gets the hard knee-shin combo from Specialized with a squeaky hinge and overkill protection.

Mikie likes this.
  12. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    To better answer your question on why I don't wear them. It doesn't seem as much of a necessity as a helmet for "standard" low shenanigan rides.

I can live with banged up knees on an unexpected fall at the Fullerton Loop, but I don't want to add a concussion to the mix. I know a handful of people who've gone otb there ending up with crushed helmets, one actual concussion, but all had clean knees/elbows.

I do wear my knee and elbow pads at Turnbull even though the "standard" riding vastly outweighs the higher risk stuff.

Mikie likes this.
  13. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Fashion reasons? WTF, V...Nothing is more liberating than letting go of caring what others think. Form follows function, man; that's all you need.

Nothing looks more stupid than Impact Lows, knee socks and spandex shorts. Anyone who doesn't like it can GFT.

Knee pads are half physical, half mental. It's unlikely my knees will hit anything, but having them helps me relax and push limits. (Not getting carried away with bravado; knowing bad injuries happen to padded-up riders.) I've spent too much of my life already in healthcare facilities and out of action. Even a few stitches puts you off the bike for days or more. I've taken many stupid little falls and laughed them off with pads on; without them, who knows. They keep your legs warm in winter. They're not uncomfortable. I've no reason to not wear them.

Good thread...

Mikie likes this.
  15. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I wear pads when I wear my full face...and that's no too often.

Mikie likes this.
  16. cranky

cranky Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    T
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c
    I only wear pads if I am lift-riding - I don't like the way they feel when pedaling uphill and most of my rides involve sustained climbs. Even when there is minimal climbing I find that wearing armor makes me overly confident so I prefer not to wear it all the time as I tend to ride with less skill. I definitely take more risks when it comes to protection, though; I was late to the game wearing a helmet as well.

Mikie likes this.
  17. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    How many of you wear knee pads and ride clipped? My on trail observations tell me that most riders that pad up, also ride un-clipped. I ride clipped and take less risks because of that. Is this the case with any of yous?

Mikie likes this.
  18. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I ride clipped in and wear knee pads when riding technical downhills.
    I've been using the Race Face Ambush for a few months and really like them. I can put them on/off without taking off my shoes. I carry them in my pack on the long ups and put them on for the downs. I've taken a few spills with them; enough to know they've saved my knees a few times just by looking at them. When they're on I really don't even notice them.

Mikie likes this.
  19. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    I ride clipped and wear my knee pads on every ride . Don't care if I'm doing 10 miles or 50 I wear them. Like varaxis said I feel naked with out them. But I have bad knees from mx days and the pads help me from twisting in my knees some, like a small support. I also seem to bang my knees on the down tube.(every bike I have ever owned) the pads also keep my knees warm it helps me from stiffing up well I'm ridding. Im running the tld 5400

Mikie likes this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Climbing with knee pads is a sure way to hate knee pads. I put em on before the descent only. But yea, that MO doesn't work so well for some areas. If I spent more time in those areas I'd have to rethink it.

Pads matter more on more remote rides. You gotta get yourself outa there, and maybe with little chance of another rider coming by. Leg pro is more important than arm pro. A broken arm, shoulder or wrist is not gonna benight you like a non-functional leg will.

Mikie likes this.
  21. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    There's usually some mishap that makes you think that you should've been wearing protective gear. I rarely crash with my gear, but when I ride without I ride a bit differently (carefully and easy going); that tends to take me out of my comfort zone and I find that it's actually more technically challenging to ride slower, leading to crashes. It's as if all the bumps are more pronounced and throw my momentum and balance off far more than if I plowed over them at speed. When I ride with knee pads, I tend to let the bike go, even pushing it harder, and have more fun. I love the feeling of drifts that aren't skid induced, and that's something I feel reluctant to do without my gear.

I ride not clipped in. I don't even notice the pads on climbs. The first week riding with knee pads, the back of my knee was rubbed raw, but it's never really bothered me once it healed with tougher skin. I once tried climbing with them around my calves and found them to be uncomfortable like that, with how they can spin, bounce, etc. It does feel nice to climb without them, but I consider that a luxury. I probably am used to being geared up, due to my prior occupation. I used to ride all trails with my full face helmet too.

Mikie likes this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    So you're okay with that skin on your leg showing now?

Just effin with ya, bro.

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Fashion is all that matters in MtB. Abide by the rules or be banished and/or ostracized! 5-10s, knee socks and lycra? C'mon now...

(For those who don't know me, I tend to poke fun at our own tendencies. Rox gets it.)

Mikie likes this.
  24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You are performing a valuable service here, Herz. Commendayshun!!!

Mikie likes this.
  25. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I know I need to get Herzalot's approval, but I think I'm one of the best dressed guys on the Fullerton loop! And one of the safest too. Opinions?

Free-shipping-2014-PRO-1set-NEW-font-b-Knee-b-font-elbow-font-b-pads-b.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  26. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Member

Name:
    Kelly
    I love my plastic courage. Every time I think about NOT wearing my knee/elbow pads I get superstitious and end up putting them on. I ride clipped in, and I also wear spandex ;)

Mikie likes this.
  27. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Key to Enduro: Looking good is better than being good. - Drunk Cyclist.

Mikie likes this.
  28. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Spandex, knee pads and Car Wreck = kiss my grits Herz!!

IMG_21583359120606.jpeg

Mikie likes this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You and others like you are the obvious exceptions to the lycra rule. You can and should wear lycra everywhere.

Mikie likes this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I dig the matching colors of the shoes and the jacket. The pants match the pads, and the pads are all the same brand. And those laces on the shoes are hinting golf shoes! This guy gets it!!!! I believe he is even sitting on a POC stool, judging by the color and design!

:thumbup:

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?