Ker... SNAP!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by BonsaiNut, Sep 16, 2016.

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I am not kidding you when I say I went all the way up Harding to 4 Corners and back down with a broken rear axle. I was wondering why I was feeling so slow... there was a little extra play in the cassette but that was about it. When I got home I decided to tune up my rear end, and everything just fell apart when I removed the rear wheel.

rear-axle.jpg

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    What wheel? What hub?

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Same here on a 2013 Bontrager Rhythm Proimage.jpeg

Broken prawls image.jpg

Grego, herzalot, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Rear wheel. I don't think anything else was damaged - I just broke everything down and everything else looks good.

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    I figured as much that it was the rear wheel.

I wanna know......

WHAT HUB?

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Vuelta Team SL 29

7. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Have you ever loaned your bike to mtnbikej ?

8. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    These parts are only rated for so much torque. Try not pedaling so damn hard.

9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Ikr? Good thing I keep my skewers super tight. There really wasn't much play at all - I assume the skewers were just keeping everything pinned together. $40 part - should be here by Wednesday. Until then, I'll just ride my 26".

10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I will say this... I went out early Sunday morning in the Santa Anas on my 26". Everything was looking good... until I got in the saddle and realized my dropper post was sagging about 2-3" :mad: It was the one thing I hadn't checked when I pulled my bike down from the ceiling of the garage. So I did my whole ride in a combo of single-speed standing position and f$#@ed up sitting on a low saddle while trying to climb position. I am sore in places I have never been sore before.

My new buddy:

spidee.jpg

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Rare axle that they only produced for a limited line of cross-country racing bikes. The wheel manufacturer had to order the part for me from Taiwan :)

I will give Vuelta an A+ for customer service. They could have just said - too bad buy a new wheelset.

Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Final chapter in this story: Vuelta stands behind their products. They shipped me a new axle overnight from Taiwan - delayed a couple of days because they got hammered by a typhoon last week. Wheel was rebuilt on Saturday, and I went for a glorious spin in the Santa Ana's this morning and everything was perfect.

13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    Good to read that positive customer experience @BonsaiNut !

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    But wait! There's MORE!

broken-axle-2.jpg

There comes a time in any bike's life when you hear a whisper that sounds a lot like "buy me a new wheelset you loser!" That's right... a SECOND broken rear axle almost exactly a year after the last. And if you recall I had to replace all the spoke nipples on both wheels because they kept breaking. Enough is enough.

I decided to go with a safe Shimano XT WH-M8020 from a vendor I found online. When I went to pick up my new wheelset, I had a nice chat with the vendor... who just happens to know a lot more about my old wheelset than I do. Turns out that my old wheelset isn't really a full Vuelta Team SL wheelset - it has the rims and spokes and the front hub... but the rear hub is a specialty OEM customization that they did that is made in China (not Taiwan). So the reason I was having trouble finding parts is that the wheel hubs are more or less custom and only the manufacturer has parts. I will leave it up to you to decide if the broken axles had anything to do with Chinese quality :) The vendor said Vuelta is getting upset because people are calling with problems with their Team SL wheelset rear hubs (or what they think are Team SL wheels)... and Vuelta is having to tap dance around the issue that they aren't really their parts - or really up to their standards.

Ah, the bike business. My pretty new wheels are all mounted and ready to rollllll!

Cyclotourist, mike, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  15. Danmtchl

Danmtchl MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    Looks similar to a Bitex axle.

mtnbikej and mike like this.
  16. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Sweet upgrade! Give em hell :sneaky:

mtnbikej and Danmtchl like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    What, you didn't buy a Stan's hub? :whistling: :sneaky: Super reliable - you can bank on them breaking!

18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    Still worth it to get fixed and have as a back up wheelset. Or loan to @herzalot for when his Stan's hub inevitably dies.

19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    You're going to think I'm stupidly wasteful, but when I fall out of love with a part it goes in the trash. I don't want to pay another $$$+ and hours of labor to fix a crappy wheelset that I will never be able to fully trust. I should have probably added that when I took the hub apart I also found a broken free hub pawl and nice scratches on the interior of the hub body. I only put about 1500 miles on this wheelset and it has required new spoke nipples, two new axles, and other misc parts... You would think I hammer my bikes but I have only had problems with this one wheelset - I have never had to swap out wheelsets on any of my other bikes.

I have a backup bike (actually two) so I will hopefully never find myself without wheels.

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Looks like the bearing just wears down the axle til it can't take the stress anymore.

I'm not a fan of shimano built wheels.....but I will admit that they spin forever.

Throw that Vuelta crap in the dumpster.

BonsaiNut and Faust29 like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    Hammer-time!

BonsaiNut likes this.
  22. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict