It's not body shaming...

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by mike, Dec 8, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It's condition shaming.

The fat nine-year-old kid and his portly mom are upset that Santa told the kid to lay off the burgers and fries.

boy-fat-shamed-by-Santa-twitter-640x480.jpg

Tough love may be a little beyond Santa's job description. I give props to that Santa for the gift of reality to that family.

Making fun of a body? The shame is that you let it become what it is, and defend its poor condition in the guise of social correct-ness.

We all pay for our collective obesity. If one truly have a health problem, he gets a pass. The other 98%? There is something wrong with you, and I'm not going to pretend there isn't because it's en vogue. Time for some freaking push-aways from the table and exercise (he says to no one at this web site).

PS: Isn't nine a little old to be wishing for gifts on Santa's lap?

Luis, LLPoolJ, UPSed and 12 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Under Armor hoody - maybe they started going to the gym?

rossage, mike and Mikie like this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    @mike for Prez 2020! MAGA!

4. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Only if Santa paid for it.

Faust29, Mikie and mike like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @mike
    This could get deep, and I want to be careful, but I am 100% in agreement with you. I will never make fun of anyone over weight (at least in front of them). My goal is never to be rude or to embarrass anyone ever. But unless like you say, there is a health condition, lazy over weight people do not fly with me. I'm not politically correct... ever. I don't buy into, "I can't help it, or it's not my fault", or justifying it through social correctness pressure. But I'm very confident that many (most?) would really not like to hear my political views on subjects like this and especially other subjects. We are one of... the if not the "most" fat society on the planet due to over eating and little to no exercise.
    Sugar and X-Box as oppose to healthy food and mountain bikes... no comparison!

6. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    You'd rather make fun of them behind their back?

UPSed, mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    No, what I'm saying is that we all have at one time or another had comments about people who have lost control of their eating and exorcising curriculum. I don't make a point of making fun of anyone, other than myself, who I make fun of a lot.

8. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I have been forced to except weakness, as long as it is not my own! Weakness comes in so many shapes and forms.

herzalot, Mikie and mike like this.
  9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    The irony is Santa is calling someone fat.

noLungs, kioti, doublewide and 14 others like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have that down to a science. No demons, devils or black magic bothering me!! (sorry, couldn't help it) :devilish::devilish::geek::p

herzalot, Faust29, kioti and 2 others like this.
  11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You got me there! You little devil, you.

Runs with Scissors and mike like this.
  12. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Not a Rome fan overall, but this rant makes me laugh. I grew up in a pretty typical, unhealthy American household- not a great diet, little to no exercise, Mom leans on the metabolism excuse. If I'm honest about what I observe, Americans lack commitment to a healthy lifestyle. Pretty simple.

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I guess what really burned me about the story is, the kid is being passed down poor health habits from Mom. Never mind that he may be predisposed to weight gain, now he's in an environment which enables (and, essentially, defends) poor health habits.

He's just a kid; a dependent. Most people want the best for their kid, and most understand that good health is essential to optimal quality of life. It's one thing to sacrifice your own health to laziness and apathy, but to inflict those values on your kid? It's unthinkable by me. I don't have kids, so maybe there's some nuance I'm missing.

Props to everyone instilling sound health practices in their kids. My folks did that for me, and it was one of the most important takaways from my youth.

mtnbikej, herzalot, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  14. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Hi I'm jaime and 40 lbs over :unsure:.

kioti, doublewide, Luis and 8 others like this.
  15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Fat bottom girls,
    You make the rocking world go 'round!

doublewide, Oaken, Luis and 5 others like this.
  17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Thanks a lot. I just threw up my lunch. :gag:

herzalot, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  19. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Do 9 yr olds still try to sit on Santa's lap? Am I off thinking that is a little weird?

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  20. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I thought your wife was pregnant. Congrats! I think....

Faust29, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  21. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I am starting to get offended by people who get easily offended.

D, I am not offended by male pregnancy.. congrats!

kioti, Faust29, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I finally saw the image... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude, next time I see you I'm gonna shame you with my "doorknob" gut. It's never been photographed, and it's awesome.

23. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    Mikie, Obsidian and rossage like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Body image is tricky. TV and print media glorify anorexia and sell it as a sexy look. Girls grow up thinking they're fat when they are 20% under their healthy weight. Meanwhile, being fat is seen as a "disease" that is not my fault. I can't cast stones because I eat way more than I should but still have a metabolism that deals with it pretty well. I have nieces (of different brothers) who grew up as athletes through high school and are obese as adults - almost like a genetic tendency. I am sure their habits are partly to blame, but not entirely.

That said, we Americans are too fat, and too sensitive about everything. Evidently, we are also an Idiocracy (and I mean that in a bipartisan way). Horrible movie, but accurate concept. Wall-E was another frighteningly prophetic movie.

25. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I eat sugar, alot of it and play Xbox! Sitting on Santa's lap is on my Bucket List. I do wish there was a way to make people embrace exercise but don't think Its possible. Things are way to easy these days and exercise is an uncomfortable experience until you learn to enjoy it.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and mike like this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    As the magistrate of imtbtrails...
    I decree that "Mountain Bikes" are the cure for all things bad!

mtb.fixes.everything.png scars.are.perfect.png good.ride.png

27. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I waited a day after seeing this thread to post, and thought about not posting at all, but here goes:

First, Santa could have had more tact, but someone needs to say it. The mother may or may not have tried to instill good eating habits, but perhaps she doesn't know what those are herself.

Now, on to the meat of the post: I am the father of an overweight kid. Part of it is he didn't get great genes from his mother and father. A lot of his friends eat and eat and eat, and are skinny, with not a lot of difference in physical activity. Sorry kid, you got dealt a bad hand there. He also seems to have inherited our sweet tooths (teeth?). And yeah, if you saw us out in public, especially if we were enjoying a burger and fries, you'd probably look at us a lot like you look at that kid and his mother.

Don't assume that healthy eating and an active lifestyle haven't been drilled into him. Don't think for a minute that I don't tell him every chance I get about good and bad eating, and about how much easier life is when you're not fat. I know how (*&^$% hard life is when you are fat. I'm down about 90 pounds from my peak, and I've still got a good 30 to go. But Mikie's post above is right - mountain biking saved my life, literally, along with learning about better nutrition and better eating habits. Healthy eating is still my weakness. I like my beer. I have a sweet tooth. I don't eat enough vegetables. But I'm a hell of a lot better than I used to be.

And I'm doing everything I can to keep him from going down the same road I traveled. I talk about nutrition every chance I get. I talk about being active. He gets out on the bike with me (but not enough), he goes to the gym with me. His baseball hitting coach has tried to instill the importance of being fit. I'm trying not to be a food Nazi, and try to tell him it's OK to enjoy a burger or pizza now and then, but eat sensibly the rest of the time. Slowly, some of it seems to be taking. He still isn't likely to eat much in the way of vegetables. He loves bread and potatoes. He won't go near fish. But I am seeing him not finish everything on the plate at every meal, which is a big improvement. I believe he's seen results from the gym time, and that's encouraging to him. So there's some hope. And he's 12. Even at 5'6" - yeah, he's a big kid, going to be several inches taller than me - he's got a growth spurt coming. So he may very well grow into his weight.

Believe me, it's a damn fine line his mother and I walk. There are days where I want to get rid of the XBox and TV altogether, force him to ride with me, serve fish and vegetables for dinner and tell him if he doesn't like it, he can go to bed hungry. That's more likely to be counterproductive, and lead to him sneaking food, the worst kinds of food. It's kind of like an alcoholic - you can't force an alcoholic to stop drinking, he has to want to stop. Thus the education. The positive reinforcement. The encouragement to be active.

My biggest hope is that we're setting a decent example. His mother plays tennis and will occasionally ride a bike with us. I bike, run, swim and train. We're working on setting better examples in our eating.

Not sure what the point is, but I know this parenting stuff isn't easy. Sometimes you don't know the right action. Sometimes you do everything right and stuff still goes wrong. And every once in a while you do things right and get the expected result. Those are the days that it's all worthwhile.

kioti, mike, MolarM and 13 others like this.
  28. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune

Umm...mountain biking definitely does NOT fix being poor.

29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Poor is not, in and of itself, bad. Nor should it be permanent.

30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Richard,
    Thank you for the share. I'm thankful that we have a Forum community that for the most part thinks things through, and choose to respond as oppose to react. There is probably no subject out there of this nature that does not have someone fighting through it. Fight on, and I'm with you. The balance of good food in proper portions and exercise is a tough Struggle for many. I know Cathy works hard to hike EVERY DAY, ride her bike as often as she can, eat right, and still struggles every day with weight.

For me, my testimony still stands that bikes indeed saved my life from a life of drugs and alcohol as I have always had an addictive personality and have to watch everything in moderation. Every day is a challenge for me.

Pretty confident that families like yours are not the discussion here, obviously. It's the vast lethargic and mentally atrophied that do not take a moment to think of health, then have children, and pass on their horrific habits to their kids. Where a quality day to them is fast food and an evening spent in front of a monitor screen with an energy drink as their idea of exercise. Night after night after night.

All I can suggest is make the outdoors as fun as possible, hiking, sports, mountain biking, etc. Key is to not shove it down his throat so it turns him off. Maybe, cycling around young ladies, I know that motivates most of us! ;):whistling: I wish you the absolute BEST, and I know we are all with you!

herzalot, kioti, mike and 6 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?