IMBA eMTB access survey

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by Sasquatch9billion, Nov 14, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Tags:
  1. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I understand what you're saying, @BonsaiNut. But without precise signage, Ebike users will continue to argue that the recently passed laws allow them on County, State and FS trails. IMO, the specific agencies need to make the distinction clear and post straightforward signs before enforcement can take place. Even conversations between legal user to presumed non-legal user will be easier if the parks and forest agencies post idiot-proof signage and refer questions to the managing authorities. Once signs are up, enforcement can proceed by warnings, confiscations and fines if Ebikes are ridden on non-motorized trails and fire roads.

FWIW, 6 Ebike riders headed up the STT the last time I did trail work there. They appeared young and healthy. A 7th showed up minutes later and I politely informed him of the law as I understand it. Props to him, he turned around and headed back down the Grade.

2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    You know what sucks? There are tons of motorized trails in CNF. You can ride for miles and miles up Main Divide and its tributaries... some of which, even on a good day, can be pretty harum scarum (aka Main Divide artillery shell holes south of Santiago Peak that are pretty sketchy even on a MTB). So why the need to take your motorized eBike up a hiking/biking trail? Because it is there? If you bike Main Divide between Beek's and the Motorway there is plenty of up and down and excitement - even on a MTB... so why the need to go blow through single track?

Any time I am dismayed by human behavior, I find another example of something worse. I assume no one on this planet would try to drive a 4WD vehicle up Holy Jim... but I would not be surprised if it has happened, etc.

Mikie, Cisco Roots and kioti like this.
  3. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    So this just passed in Washington State. Thought you'd all find it interesting.

https://nsmb.com/articles/washington-state-bans-e-bikes-trails/

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bill Reports/House/6434-S.E HBR APH 18.pdf

The definition of a bicycle is updated to include electric-assisted bicycles.

An electric-assisted bicycle's motor must have a power output of no more than 750 watts and the electric-assisted bicycle must meet the requirements of one of three classifications:

1. Class 1 electric-assisted bicycle in which the motor provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 mph;

2. Class 2 electric-assisted bicycle in which the motor may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle and is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 mph; or

3. Class 3 electric-assisted bicycle in which the motor provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 28 mph and is equipped with a speedometer.
    Beginning July 1, 2018, manufacturers or distributors of new electric-assisted bicycles for sale or distribution in Washington must permanently affix in a prominent location on the electric-assisted bicycle a label that contains the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage. Individuals may not tamper or modify an electric-assisted bicycle to

House Bill Report - 2 - ESSB 6434

change the speed capability unless the label is appropriately replaced. Manufacturers and distributors must also comply with the equipment and manufacturing requirements for bicycles adopted by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission.

While there is no driver's license required for the operation of an electric-assisted bicycle, persons under the age of 16 may not operate a Class 3 electric-assisted bicycle.

All classes of electric-assisted bicycles may be operated on a fully controlled limited access highway and Class 1 and 2 electric-assisted bicycles may be used on a sidewalk. Class 3 electric-assisted bicycles may not be used on a sidewalk unless there is no alternative to travel over a sidewalk as part of a bicycle or pedestrian path. Class 1 and 2 electric-assisted bicycles may use a shared-use path or any part of a highway designated for the use of bicycles, such as a bicycle lane, but local jurisdictions and state agencies may still restrict or otherwise limit the access of Class 1 and 2 electric-assisted bicycles. Class 3 electric-assisted bicycles may be operated on facilities that are within or adjacent to a highway; however, they may not be operated on a shared-use path except where local jurisdictions allow the use. State and local agencies may regulate the use of electric-assisted bicycles on facilities and properties under their jurisdiction and control.

Local regulations for electric-assisted bicycles must be consistent along the entire length of a shared-use path that crosses two or more jurisdictional boundaries in order for the local regulation to be enforceable.

Generally, a person may not operate an electric-assisted bicycle on a trail that is designated as nonmotorized and that has a natural surface, unless otherwise authorized by the state agency or local authority having jurisdiction over the trail.

Mikie, mtnbikej, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This is good, I'm glad to see that included. Enforcement is the trick...

Mikie, herzalot, Cisco Roots and 2 others like this.
  5. Getting tired of the fat ass e bike guys sneaking up behind me riding up borrego in WR and making uphill passes only a power assisted rider could make.

BonsaiNut, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Especially considering they are banned in OC Parks.

BonsaiNut, tick, MattB and 4 others like this.
  7. My take away from the Fred hall fishing show today, an 80lb ebike from Australia that i can “ride anywhere that lithium ion batteries are not prohibited” goes up to 50mph

3BFAE705-1FA6-43FE-B6C2-87B23C263EA8.jpeg

Cyclotourist likes this.
  8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Is that the bow-legged cowboy build?

Cyclotourist likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?