If you signed the waiver and something goes wrong, well....HTFU !

Discussion in 'Gravity Junkies' started by jaime, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:02 PM.

1. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    The Canadians have not lost their minds. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You know what the verdict would have been here.

Mikie, Obsidian, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    Judge laid it down pretty nicely!

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  4. Cornholio

Cornholio Well-Known Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    RIP9
    Isn't this similar to why Snow Summit stopped in bounds MTB riding for several years? If I remember correctly a dude broke his back or neck in a DH race and sued them which cost them a ton to fight.

When I broke my arm snowboarding years ago the last thing on my mind (or my parents since I was only 16) was blaming Snow Summit for my shitty form on a big jump and botched landing. It was my fault and I am the one who chose to hit said jump.

Edit: this is what I was talking about..

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/m...ng-big-bear-lake-snow-summit-mountain-resort/

http://www.bigbeargrizzly.net/news/...cle_672da902-1b1b-50a7-8a9f-2bfe4c25e4b3.html

Mikie, Danmtchl, RS VR6 and 7 others like this.
  5. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Even if you did sign a waiver, or something didn't go wrong... HTFU for good measure. At some point it'll be beneficial.

Don't want to risk a spinal injury? Ride slowly and stay on perfectly flat ground. If you choose not to and get hurt? HTFU. Blake Jamieson is a pussy who wants to blame someone else for his mistake.

6. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Lots of times it is not the rider who wants to blame/sue the resort, it is the insurance company who sues trying to recoup costs of that person's medical care. Even if it is not the insurance company, I would think your tune about a lawsuit might change when you look ahead toward a lifetime of costs for full time care, housekeeping, special mobility equipment etc, none of which would be covered by health insurance. Not saying that is right, but these people are in a difficult place.

I had always heard that those waivers weren't worth the paper they were printed on, so it is a bit surprising to hear the judge's argument. I would think the individual facts such as the rider being a bike patroller for years and riding for longer would establish that the rider should know the risks.

The A-line rock drop is where I broke my wrist...a kid had crashed right at the bottom and left his bike laying there on the landing while he emptied rocks out of his shoe. I should have sued his family! I would have at least kicked his ass if I could have gotten up under my own power. The little sh!t didn't even apologize, he just picked up his bike and continued on. The real miracle was there were no riders for the next minute or so while all this happened, then a train of 20 or so barreled through.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  7. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    This ^^^

I broke 3 ribs in my back in mtb accident.

A few weeks later received a letter from my medical insurance asking who I was with, where I was and who was responsible for the accident. They even said they needed this in order to recover the costs associated with the doctor and hospital.

My reaction was " f'in a-holes, I pay my medical insurance, suck it up and absorb the costs. ". Really left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Told them I was alone and it was an accident plain and simple.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  8. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Yea, you're right. I would throw my principles out the window based on a financial disaster. Can you taste the sarcasm, ev? :)

I might go to lengths to get help that I previously thought I never would, but falsely (and knowingly) putting my financial liability on an entity which provided my enjoyment at its own risk? Yea, maybe my insurance will do that. I will not.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  9. Cornholio

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    RIP9
    I was told to go to more doctor appointments and to seek more damages after a car accident where a dude barreled into me from behind in his Chevy Avalanche in my little
    Corolla. I didn't need it so I didn't do it. Just because a lawyer says jump doesn't mean I have to ask how high.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  10. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    With nationalized health care I'm sure he would have a harder time showing financial damages. If something like this happened here and someone had a $500,000+ in medical bills and a life time of expensive care in the future? Juries have a tendency to award lots of $ in cases like this. I feel bad for the guy and what he faces in the future but we all take our chances.

Mikie, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  11. kioti

kioti Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    "Despite being a volunteer patroller in the park prior to the accident.. ..he "had no idea that a spinal-cord injury was possible and specifically that going over the handlebars was a common mechanism of injuryā€¯."

He obviously never rode with me. ;)

I've flown over the bars and tucked and rolled (thank you judo!), landed on foot and run it out, landed on my face and plowed pavement (thank you oral surgeon!), slammed the ground like a lightening bolt and broke a collarbone, landed hard in a field of whoops after a pristine moto jump (and got a mouthful of desert dirt), and skinned knees and bruised my ego so many times I could write a book about it. Never anyone's fault but my own so unfortunately I still have to work for a living.

I feel bad for him in that he won't be able to live the life he anticipated and may be in a lot of pain. My hope is he'll find new avenues of adventure and risk, and ways to lead a fulfilling life.

12. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    National health care only covers medical expenses. It doesn't cover things like hiring a care person to take care of or assist him in the future, special equipment needed like wheelchairs etc, or other expenses that are not medical expenses.

Mikie, CBone and Danmtchl like this.
  13. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    "1. Bikes must be less than 38 pounds.
    2. Designated tire size must be less than 2.5 inches.
    3. Front shock must have less than 7.5 inches of travel.
    4. Bikes must have at least two chain rings unless they are single speed."

I wonder how many of these rules are still being enforced...especially 2 and 4.:whistling::laugh:

Looks like they were trying to keep DH bikes out.

14. Cornholio

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    RIP9
    They were trying to keep DH bikes out and when they reopened the "inbounds" area for park riding again in 2013 they did away with those rules. Those were in place during the days when the lift just took you up to the forest roads and trails outside of the SS property.

Mikie, kioti, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  15. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    True. My point was just regarding the way cases are presented. All the best to the guy. I hope he gets the help he will need.

Cornholio, Mikie, kioti and 1 other person like this.

You can support keeping imtbtrails' doors open at no extra cost to you by purchasing
what you typically already buy at Amazon.com here! No additional cost or fees!
imtbtrails appreciates your support! Thank you!

imtbtrails is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites
to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.