Idyllwild redux

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Bluesrider, Feb 23, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Let's start working out the logistics of our next Idyllwild tour. I'm leaning toward 1st weekend of March, Maybe a overnight to ride 2 days, camping or lodging? If riding 2 days, then 1st day pace needs to slow down and take in the views more often. otherwise we may be to sore to ride the next day. Thoughts anyone?

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You mean the weekend of the 7th and 8th? I vote for camping because that's how I roll....bed roll. :cool:

3. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Yup, 7th-8th. Mt San Jacinto State Park has camping and is walking distance to town.

<a class="postlink" href="https://search.yahoo.com/local/s;_ylt=A0SO8zVtGuxU9NkAqu9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzczAxaWVnBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDU01FNjEyXzEEc2VjA3Nj?p=Mt+San+Jacinto+State+Park&addr=Idyllwild%2CCA&listingid=20970394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://search.yahoo.com/local/s;_ylt=A ... d=20970394</a>

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The weasel and I could be into this.

The county park is a little more off the highway and has great bouldering :cool: I've camped all around Idy too many nights to recount. The best place IMO is the Yellow Post (free) sites up by Tahquitz Peak TH. You can have a fire (temporary restriction notwithstanding), and the good spot is huge enough for many cars to pull right in. I don't dig Rangers coming around and asserting rules, or camping next to people who won't enjoy my party stunts. Won't happen at the YP sites. But yea, you need to be okay with taking a dump in the woods. There is a nice 1-2 hr loop right out of the TH.

5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    This sounds great!

6. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    I'm in for one of the days & I know the area pretty good. I can be your guide for one of the days, but the ride I had in mind is similar to Tom The Bombs ride but with a little more mileage & climbing. Let me know what day you guys want that on & I'll be there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    This is sounding great. Thanks for sharing info, mtbb. No day preference.

8. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    So whats the head count for this trip? I'm hoping Mikie and Doug can make it, I know they wanted to get some of this new dirt. I kinda just picked a weekend, but now this is the only free weekend for me in March. The primitive camping sounds good, just need to bring a bucket and large sponge. :lol:

I want to get 2 days of riding, so I'm trying to figure out if I'll head up Friday or early early Saturday morning. Whats the plan for other folks?

9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

The 7th is tax day for me, is this date set in stone? If it is than I need to know so I can get my priorities in order, to reschedule tax day :D .

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Count the Weasel and me in for this. The Weez may back out, but I'm solid.

If you guys are into the primitive (read: free) camping, I will get there early to secure the good spot. BYOBucket/sponge :lol: I will post a map and/or directions to the Yellow Post site area up by Tahquitz Peak TH if that's da plan. There may be an online map of YP, there wasn't a few years ago. The ranger station on hwy 243 and Fern Valley Rd has decent area info.

I will bring firewood up, unless there is a restriction in place.

Cool beans, good times...

11. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I'm locked in for the 7th-8th. I'm busy the other weekends in March. Would be great if you can make it. Just tell the taxman to wait.

12. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    If everyone is cool with the primitive camping, I'll go along. But if anyone wants showers and a toilet, I'm okay with the other campground also. I'll admit, I did look into lodging up there. Have camped at Hurkey beginning of April many times and it was always very cold, like camelback frozen in the morning cold. I can't imagine March be any warmer.

13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I need to find a place to house a 35 ft. trailer, otherwise I will stay in Palm Springs which is 1hr.20 min. away, better than 3 hours from where I live. The camp ground that was posted won't accommodate me .

14. mtbbiker

Name:
    Craig
    Hurkey Creek should be able to accommodate your trail.

15. mtbbiker

Name:
    Craig
    I'm in for sure! I only live an hour away, so I'll drive up & I suggestion the 1st day to be the hard day of riding. Art School/Hub trails:
    <a class="postlink" href="https://www.strava.com/activities/251658993#5893906062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.strava.com/activities/251658993#5893906062</a>

16. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    35ft! :shock: that's huge. Idyllwild county park list site #12 at a 30ft max, maybe you could sneak it in or give them a call and see if they can accommodate your needs. This park is just outside of town.

Idyllwild Park
    54000 Riv. Co. Playground Rd.
    Idyllwild, Ca 92549
    (951) 659-2656

17. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    The campground is open but the HC trails arent??

18. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Best watch the weather. Snow coming up there this weekend through monday.

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What Tom said. This is pretty early season up there, and even without snow it gets cold at night, as mentioned.

20. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Weather looks better for next weekend. No doubt the nighttime temps are gonna be real cold camping out.

21. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Well, if the snow cancels out Iddy, than we should have a good back up plan like doing the PCE right? Thoughts?

22. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Storm is clearing out Tuesday, looks sunny from there out through the weekend. A back up plan is good to think about. I just spoke with Brendon at Hub Cyclery, he said most likely the trail with be prime next weekend. I'll check back with him Wed-Thurs next week.

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for digging into this, guys.

One good thing about this area is the diverse elevation...something great will be rideable between Idy, Mtn Center area and the PCE.

24. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    might be a bit warm for pce.
    Keep checking.

25. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Palm Desert mid 80's Sat and Sun
    Idyllwild mid 60's Sat and Sun

Weather for both areas is sunny from Tuesday on into the weekend. I spoke with Brendan from The Hub and he's thinking the dirt with be prime, snow should melt off quick once the sun pops out. I'm committed to this trip, just because I really enjoyed riding up there and 2 days worth of riding those trails shouldn't be missed. My plan is to arrive midday Friday and get a afternoon ride in, Saturday ride with whoever is coming up or join the Hub cyclery Saturday 9 am ride, Sunday more of the same. So lets try and pin down who's coming so we can get a head count. I know some folks are much closer than my 3 hour drive and may want to just come up for the day.

26. Bluesrider

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Channel 5 news showed 8" of snow in Pine Cove/Idyllwild this morning. But rest of the week is still looking good.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:92549.1.99999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:92549.1.99999</a>

27. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Sorry gents, the 7th is still tax day for me, a bigger deciding factor is the weather. I don't get many chances like these to work on the trail, so that's what I'm going to do. I'll get out there one of these days.

28. mtbbiker

Name:
    Craig
    I'm still in, but I'm not sure about Sat. It may have to be Sun. For me. I'll know for sure by Thurs. I'm betting the trails are going to be epic!

If not within 30 mins, you have Simpson Park in Hemet that's just as epic as anything at Idyllwild or PCE. & a little further my backyard in Murrieta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm in for the weekend, including getting there early-ish Friday in hopes of nailing down the killer spot. (Assuming you guys are down with the primitive camping.)

Not concerned about getting a ride in Friday, but it's probably inevitable with the sweet short loop off the campsite. I will have a work stand that anyone can use, and will bring firewood. I'll yell at the ranger today and see if any FS/road issues, etc.

May be some white on the ground, but it looks great. AYE!!!

30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Spoke with the Rangers...

Fires are not allowed at this time at the Tahquitz Peak TH Yellow Post sites. There is another viable primitive option: just outside Pine Cove heading down Bee Cyn fire road (toward Hemet) are two YP sites on your left that are pretty open and easy to get to. A fire is allowed there now.

The USFS SBNF Yellow Post map does not show these sites (either of the two locations I mention above), but here is a description of the "Stone Creek" YP I mention above:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.socalcamping.com/newcampgroundtemplate.asp?camp_id=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.socalcamping.com/newcampgrou ... amp_id=120</a>
    I never stayed there, but have passed by many times; it looks very open and flat. :thumbup:

4400' elevation sounds a lot easier to take than nearly 8000 up at Tahquitz Peak. Especially with the campfire situation. No fire with lows in the teens or 20s is needlessly hardcore. A trail cuts from this area of Pine Cove to Idy without riding the few mi of highway; I rode it once and could probably find it.

Here is the official (read: lacking) page for USFS YP sites in SoCal FYI:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sbnf/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=26225&actid=34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sbnf/re ... 5&actid=34</a>