Ibis Ripmo

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by pperrelle, Mar 26, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Yes! Just like I would Ripmo on that than my current RIP whip.

mike, Danmtchl, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  2. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    You see him LEAP over Sh!t we roll over? I was like DAAAM son! :eek:

mike, Obsidian, Cisco Roots and 2 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Upper part of Telonics I think. Based on his cursing, it sounds like he got injured. I don't have an InstaSnapBook account, so I couldn't read the full post, but it looks like he was about to thank people for the get well wishes?

EDIT:

Not Telonics as he is facing the Ocean. Didn't notice that at first. And not injured.

mike, Cornholio and doublewide like this.
  4. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Screenshot (11).png

Superman!

mike, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    IronGiantSuperman-650x273.jpg

mike likes this.
  6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I don’t have an account either but was able to see the whole thing.. here:

C45C00A9-D210-4C0A-B30F-A96A281535A6.png

mike, doublewide, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  7. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    anyone know why ibis isn't making enough XL's?

mike likes this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Supply and demand.

First run was probably for M and L frames as that is what they will sell most of. Fringe sizes get smaller production runs.

mike, Faust29, HBkites and 1 other person like this.
  9. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    From what I am reading, pretty much every size is already on back-order until late June, early July. Not that I am looking or anything...... :whistling:

10. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Who is on or has ridden the Ripley and can comment to its pros/cons for our levels (normal non-superman style of trail riding) of riding? I fit into the category of not wanting an "enduro" style heavy hitter, rather a good climbing FS bike that will descend with confidence and safety. Thanks for conversations.
    My short list:
    Tallboy 29
    Ripley ls
    Yeti SB4.5
    Pivot 429 tr ?

11. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    So the Ripmo is not on your short list?
    Jeffsy 29?

Voodoo Tom likes this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have a similar list, with a Tallboy at the head of the line. Intense Sniper Trail is also there. 120-130 travel is probably the sweet spot for me.
    Aiming for spring '19. Crabon would be nice, but not sure I could justify the extra $$$for it vs beer-can build.

Voodoo Tom and mtnbikej like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Sounds like he is looking at the 110-120mm bikes. :cautious:

HBkites, Voodoo Tom and Derek13 like this.
  14. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    riply ls felt very cramped for me, too short of a top tube, might be ok for shorter riders.

Voodoo Tom and UPSed like this.
  15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Same here. LS included. Great bike otherwise.

Voodoo Tom and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. Derek13

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    This is useful, thanks. I'm 6,0 190 and like the reach and feel of my Chameleon. If I could retrofit 110-130mm of squish to my Lizard that would be great. I find that the FS bikes I demo feel cramped. Bars feel like they are in my lap.
    My thoughts on any more travel is if I'm not mobbing rocks and burly drops, why do I need 130mm+ travel? Although I enjoy descending steep trails and an occasional jump or rocky section, I will not be bombing through these sections at breakneck speeds. I value exercise and adventure over extreme at my age. Most of the lower travel bikes have the capability far above my comfort level.

Faust29, Voodoo Tom and Cyclotourist like this.
  17. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I've owned 2 Ripleys. The first was the Ripley V2 OG. It had the shorter top tube and steeper head angle. I recently upgraded to the Ripley LS V3 which I do like better. The Ripley is a good all around bike for everything that I ride around here. I think it's a great climber. The DW link really is efficient. The head angle isn't as slack as some of the bigger enduro bikes, but I think it's a confident descender. That said, I don't do big drops or huck off of stuff. It's definitely not a point and shoot kind of bike. You do have to be cognizant of which line you're taking.

Here's a good site that will compare geo on different bikes.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/

18. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Sorry to keep derailing this Ripmo thread, but from this post and the fact that you are already on a Santa Cruz...you are describing the Tallboy 3. I picked up an Aluminum one from @kioti and have been thoroughly happy with it. I believe I tend to be on the rowdier side of us amateur riders and although I have reached the limits of the Tallboy 3, they were way harder to hit than the travel numbers would lead you to believe. And as far as cockpit, I'm am 5'9" with short legs and a long torso and I picked up a large. I could definitely ride a medium, but prefer the stretched out cockpit of the large. My TB3 was meant to be a secondary bike for non-tech stuff as my main bike is more of a trail/all mountain type bike; however, the TB3 is way more versatile than I ever imagined when I picked it up and it has made choosing which bike I ride a it more curious than I ever thought it would be.

Faust29, herzalot, kioti and 4 others like this.
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Wait what hat no...Hightower on the shortlist??? Actually that's a pretty dang nice list you've got. I've ridden all but the Tallboy(but I'll bet it's like a mini Hightower) and currently own an OG Ripley with 140 Pike and my wife has an LS.

The Ripley is a great bike. Really a great pedaling bike and very capable. Geometry #'s are weird but there isn't a trail around I won't ride on my OG Ripley. It's a little flexy and tends to develop creaks easily and the paint is chipped to sh!t but it's still a great bike and I've beat the crap out of it. Again mine is the V1. Even now with the Hightower being my go to bike I still enjoy ripping the Ripley.

My wife has the V2 LS. To me it pedals just as good as my V1. Definitely has a low BB though but that's half of what makes the bike so fun. Much better cable routing and no creaks so far. I'm sure the newer V3 is even better yet albeit slightly heavier.

Yeti SB4.5 that I demoed was a hoot. Pedaled & descended great. Didn't care for the build kit but that's just being picky. Cables rattled around quite a bit in the downtube but there's tricks to fix that and the new ones might have guide tubes.

Edit...Now that I see your post about feeling cramped on other FS bikes the Ripley would probably feel kinda short. Yeti felt pretty short too.

Faust29, kioti, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  20. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I'm in a similar situation. Been doing a lot of window shopping looking at different stuff. Like a few of you above for 90% of riding I think a 120 -130 mm rear would be enough. (110 if tallboy, or even 105 on the banshee phantom....)

The Tallboy 3 is a really nice bike. I demoed one back in March. Any reviews I have read on it are all extremely positive. Look for the North Shore Mountain Biker review, the reviewer was testing it out on north shore trails usually ridden on longer travel 650b bikes, and basically said it was extremely capable.

Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  21. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Then he is the wrong thread..... The Ripmo is a long travel 29"

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I think he derailed this thread.

Faust29, Cyclotourist and pperrelle like this.
  23. Derek13

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Very sorry... But, tacos are good right?

24. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I have not ridden the Rimpo as I rarely demo bikes unless I'm ready to buy at a moments notice, plus I'm so picky that I'm bothered by things I shouldn't be on demos....like a seat I dislike or even skinny grips. I like thicker, softer, sticky grips like OURY. Anyway, every review I've read has raved about the Ripmo overall and with a frame weight that is essentially comparable to the new Ripley LS somehow. I'm in the camp that says all other things being equal, more travel is the way to go. Better to have it and not need it that need it and not have it.

A buddy of mine moved here from CT and had the original Ripley and decided he thought he wanted to race XC so he built a 22 lb Giant of some sort. He realized that bike sucked for the everyday rides out here in SoCal so he bought the Ibis HD3 V1 and while I thought it was a great bike, he wasn't happy with the way it climbed compared to his past bikes (well....duh). What he didn't realize was how his much his riding was improving on the HD3 in the techy stuff. He moved over to Mojo3 and didn't like the 2.8+ sized tires (neither do I) so he ran it with 2.3-2.4 tires and his riding continued to improve. He was always a strong climb but he got so much better in a year on tech stuff it was amazing....then the itch started. He wanted a new bike. He demo'd the TB3, Intense Primer, Santa Cruz HTLT (a heavy lower level build) and the new Ripley LS. While the Primer was his favorite going down, the Ripley LS was the clear winner on climbs for him and since that's his strong suit, that's what he focused on. Everybody in our group tried to get him to demo the Ripmo before pulling the trigger on the Ripley LS but he was too infatuated to listen. The 1st weekend he had it, we went to Sedona and while that type of riding isn't his strong suit, he had improved on the Mojo3 so I hope fore the best. Alas it was not to be as Sedona ate him alive. He wasn't making it up stuff the 29er should have helped and wasn't confident on the chunkier DH stuff on Hi Line and obviously Hangover. I'm sure part of it was mental as he didn't want to thrash his brand new sled but it was painful to watch as his riding actually regresses and I told him so. On the last day on the Hogs trails, I actually trying to coach him thru a few of the techier spots and he was just too hesitant to get thru them smoothly.

I don't know if the Ripmo would have made a difference or not but clearly ditching the Mojo3 of the Ripley LS was not the best move.

25. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Sounds like the Indian, not the arrow...

Faust29, mtnbikej and Voodoo Tom like this.
  26. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I'm still waiting for my Ripmo that I ordered the first day it was announced. Good news is it is supposed to ship Friday! I can't wait.

Luckily I still have my Ripley LS to keep me happy. If you're considering a Ripley LS, then try to size up if you can fit your preferred dropper post. I went XL at 6'-0" and it has been great.

27. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Threes no size up for some of us

Faust29, Cyclotourist and pperrelle like this.
  28. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    True. If you're > 6'-2" then Ripley LS XL is probably too small.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  29. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Finally got my hands on an XL Ripmo demo. Very good so far, plan to do some loops at Black Mountain to test different types of trail. Every bike review claims every bike climbs well and descends better. I wasn't pushing that hard on the up and stopped give directions to some kids and still got a PR on the main climb. The trails down are not the hero dirt of this winter but still felt comfortable going faster than normal. Has that classic 29" feel when charging down steeps or through rocks but not sluggish when changing lines...in fact I over corrected a few times. I will know more on how it compares to SC hightower lt and pivot switchblade after black mountain, although those demos were on really tacky conditions. My guess is better on the up than SC and better on the down than the pivot. 20180525_180247-1.jpg

30. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Black Mountain? I guess that's one step better than Hodges but go ride that thing at Greer or Noble and give it a proper testing.

DangerDirtyD and pperrelle like this.