IBIS Ripley LS 2016

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by dustyyoungblood, Nov 18, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. The Ripley LS, where to begin....

First thing is, I am 5 11 3/4 and 235lb for reference. Rode a size Large. Without looking up the numbers, I am going to claim that it is not really very long or slack(compared to today's machines). The fit, cockpit, and geo felt natural and fine. No real surprises.

Took the 6.5 mile loop at whiting ranch.
    The ride up Borrego canyon through the cobbles and sand traps was fun, and it held it's line rather well. A few of the features were already maxing out the rear shock.... bummer because sag was set perfect at the shop.

The climb up mustard started with me fairly rested feeling and low heart rate. Pedaling the Ripley LS up was rather effortless, the 29" wheels not feeling any extra mass given the CF rims. As the terrain got steeper my fat ass had to put in more effort to keep my cadence and I could have used 2 teeth lower gear.

Climbing: A problem, and being heavy I notice these things. Pedaling up the steepest sections and looking down and below she showed me the situation. There is flex in the bottom bracket and the rear end. When wieghed on the left crank, the high tension on the chain the rear wheel moves rightward and tilts top of wheel to the right. Bummer. This is NOT a situation with the HD3 or MOJO3, Those 2 are stiff and firm. (EDIT::: some Flex could be caused by a loose BB and/or not proper torque on link hardware. But given what the visual was its hard to tell)

Descending: I added 5 psi to the rear shock at the top of the hill. Well I thought the Ripley might be enough bike for my needs. But after almost dying 3 times on cactus I realized this is NOT A DH BIKE...... Duhh.
    The biggest issue I had was braking late in the rough and trying to set up and load a corner. I found the rear end overwhelmed by the terrain and not get traction and not staying on my line and just getting dangerous and wearing me out. I was so out of breath at the bottom of cactus from trying to push it harder and harder that I bonked and had to rest to get my HR down.

The mellower flowing DH to the road was fun, and playful and was a blast.

That night my ankles hurt, by back hurt, my hips were sore. I can't blame all of that on the bike but most of it I will. On the DH I just could not get into a good body position and nearly died trying. As the rider behind me on a hardtail said...."that did not look good"

A quick chat at the shop confirmed that perhaps I ride a little bit to hard for this style bike and it's intended use. As a mellow cruiser it was fun and nimble. But the flexy BB and Rear end turned me off to it for sure.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    After reading that, I'm really looking forward to the Bronson review!

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!