I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    Actually, that was my point. Just a quick note to chime in when you don't feel like making an epic, Mikie-sized report. I find it interesting to read about everybody's everyday rides. :wave:

Mikie likes this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Mikie likes this.
  3. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I rode my bike today and saw Mikie's bike ride him today! It tried to bite off his leg and then jumped up and down on him for good measure! Wow I got to ride car wreck two weeks in a row. Nice.

Mikie likes this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I rode my bike yesterday with yet, more amazing people that rode their bike yesterday.
    Dang! How many amazing mtb'ers ARE there out there!!!

Apparently a few more. We need to meet them ALL! Go ride somewhere you have not ridden before with people you have not ridden with . . . enjoy their journey as well... I am!

5. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I rode mine today...

A trip down to Casper's Park on the Bell Trail, a drop into the park on the Star Rise Trail, up the East Ridge, and then on to the insane part... Most people do the loop that the Rwanda ride follows. Up East Ridge, and then drop the bottom part of the Oso Trail. And there were quite a few guys out there today riding the Caspers Loop. I needed some more miles and elevation, as I still don't think I'm where I want to be for Catalina next month. So, I decided to climb the Oso Trail towards Starr Ranch. As Herz would say, it's just fireroad. Of course, it's Fireroad that is completely overgrown in spots, very rocky, and there are 3 sections over the 2 mile climb that are 24%. Last time I tried it, it was over 100 degrees, and I had to HAB quite a bit. Today, I made the majority of the climb, and only walked the 3 steepest sections. Improvement! :) I've never seen anyone on this stretch of trail, and there are no bike tracks... A quick look on Strava shows only 9 have done it this year. 9... Woo-Hoo.. I'm guaranteed a top 10 for the year! :D

I did startle a couple who were at the shelter at the top. I think they may have been enjoying the solitude... :oops:

From the top of the Oso Trail, there are a couple of ways down. Today, I decided to try the Cold Springs Trail that drops all the elevation back to Highway 74 pretty quickly. I think this trail may have been fireroad at one time, but it sees very little traffic, and is completely overgrown. Sadly, I can see this becoming a non-trail in the future. Lots of bushwhacking, spider webs, kitty poop, and rocks that were impossible to see through the tall grass. At the bottom, the trail intersects the Hot Springs Trail, and the San Juan Creek Trail. I took San Juan Creek back towards Caspers. Never having ridden this section, I figured it would ride along the creek... Wrong. The trail was hard to find in spots, and was really overgrown. After a couple hundred yards, though, it turned into very narrow single track, and climbed the cliff wall just off the 74. Although I never strayed more than a 100 yards from the road, I climbed several hundred feet above it on completely overgrown single track. There were a couple HAB sections. They were probably rideable, but I was on the edge of the cliff... Common sense won out. :D

The rest of the ride was the "normal" stuff... Through Casper's "proper", up Star Rise, and back home on Bell Ridge.

I conducted a little experiment today. I recorded the ride with the Garmin, Strava, and Mapmyride to see the differences. I'll be deleting mapmyride from the phone soon. :shock:

Garmin: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/751541727
    35.75 miles and 4,259 feet of gain

Strava on iphone 6: https://www.strava.com/activities/288787077/segments/6780088488
    36.0 miles and 4,326 feet of gain

Mapmyride on iphone 6: http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/950249871
    36.43 miles and 2,884 feet of gain.

A couple shots from today:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429486722.095343.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429486746.431740.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429486764.796325.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429486780.015450.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ahem - this thread is for quick updates on mundane rides, not epic solo adventures involving clandestine lovers and kitty poop!

Yours is a full-blown ride report, but like everything you do, it's go big! Nice job, glad you didn't get eaten. :clap:

7. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    I'm riding my bike all week with 15 men in the red dirt of Sedona. . That's the way I roll Thank you! Hugs Robin Mcg

uploadfromtaptalk1429490543220.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429490549479.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    SWEEET! I'm jealous of the riding, but you can have the 15 men. :eek: :oops:

Mikie likes this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    I rode my bike today!!! This was my first ride since http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2057. Unlike my last ride, today was a "putt-putt" along the 90%-paved Thompson Canyon Bike Path with my wife. She rode her Gary Fisher Rumblefish and I took my urban battleship Trek 3700 Hardtail frankensteined with an aftermarket Fox Float 120 RLC, Deore LX cranks, XT rear derailleur, Hays Stroker hydraulic front and old-school cantilever rear brake(s), platform pedals, and slick tires on random hoops that simply keep the bike rolling. Today was a whopping 6 miles with about 200' of elevation gain, and every moment was marvelous!

image.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Mikie likes this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Triple D? Please be careful and don't over do it! We gots lots uh ridin' to do in the future! :D

12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Thank you Faust29! I just took the first step today. For the sake of real MTB, and to be able to show up on any of the real rides described on this website, I won't be back until around fall (no pun intended). No risky business for a while still; I say that to remind myself to settle down.

Mikie likes this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Whiting-Old Cramp-Luge-Whiting. I haven't done this route in years, because I haven't been able to ride much over 3000' without cramping (and that is due to long periods of time not riding, or riding infrequently). It was AWESOME to actually complete this route without cramping today! The air was super-saturated and foggy, so we were dripping wet and had troubles using glasses. That was the first time I've ridden with my rain jacket on in years. Yay weather!

I was accompanied by Danimal and friend Jeff for the STT-OC-Luge portion, but the two trips through Whiting were solo. I don't know the vertical feet on the ride, but I am guessing 3700+ and about 26 miles. Yay me! If only there were a way I could track vertical feet and mileage, right on my phone. Dare to dream.

:wave:

Mikie likes this.
  14. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    According to the unwritten rules,without documentation it didn't happen. All that work for nothing. :cool:

Mikie likes this.
  15. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    This sounds dangerously like a ride that falls afoul of herz climbing:downhill ratio! hehehe :) The weather was weird today for sure. Nice ride :)

Mikie likes this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er

Sounds like you had a great ride, and there is a way. Strava app, unless you're still using a Star Trek communicator-type-phone-thingy. ;)

Mikie likes this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    I'm pretty sure I've done this route, and it isn't over 1,750 feet of climbing... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    "Things that make you go Hmmmm....

No STRAVA...no proof! :roll:

19. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What is this STRAVA of which you speak? And can it help turn me into an obsessed and discourteous asshat?

(OK, I know, I already am...)

Mikie likes this.
  20. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Official Statement from the imtbtrails Federation:
    ***Mini Ride Report***
    Oh, and I really did ride my bike today...
    All you guys can "Suck It!"... cuz KTMTOM and I rode AT up in Acton and it was Ahhhhhhhhsome! Perfect cool weather, breezy but totally tolerable. Saw hill^billy up there trimming shrubery, then saw Mike and then John, two dudes that have been frothing at the mouth to complete AT to the top of Mt. Gleason.

Proof you say? Hell yes I got proof . . . and plenty of witnesses...
    STRAVA: https://app.strava.com/activities/292545721

A.T.KTMTOM.jpg

IMG-20150425-03249.jpg

IMG-20150425-03248.jpg

IMG-20150425-03246.jpg

IMG-20150425-03245.jpg

IMG-20150425-03244.jpg

Tom? What do you think of A.T. and do you feel some folk missed out BIG TIME in not going??? :cool:

hill^billy and Voodoo Tom like this.
  21. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Good one! :clap: My legs hurt just thinking about that last mile to old camp, not to mention going back through Whiting.
    This was from awhile ago, 26.7mi and 4600ft. Take out 4 miles and 600 for Oakley.... Ain't Strava grand :lolno:

Screenshot (2).png

Mikie likes this.
  22. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Plain & simple they all missed out and should all be jealous...but ask me if I care cause I had a totally freaking awesome day out on the trail with a great friend and I don't think you could wipe the grin off my face if you tried. :mrgreen:
    A.T. is simply awesome and I'm so glad I took you up on the invite. 100 percent single track riding the entire way never more than about two feet wide. I don't thing I ever shifted off my small chainring all day(except for when my knee hit the shifter as I was going over the bars at the one small water crossing). There's a fair amount of exposure which is something that I've never been real comfortable with but after today I'm way better. I did sample the soil a couple times but no harm no foul and only left a small amount of DNA behind. The trail just has such a fun flow to it .
    Also nice to meet hill^billy and friends and I must say a great big THANK YOU to these guys. :thumbup: They have put forth some MAJOR effort in maintaining and extending the trail.

hill^billy likes this.
  23. LLPoolJ

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Strava doesn't make asshats, people make asshats.

I did a group ride today at Sycamore, did about 17 miles and 1700'. Have a ride planned with the boy in the morning. Can't wait

Mikie likes this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yes, yes, I've heard all of that before. You might add "there were jerks before STRAVA too..." "People cut corners before STRAVA..." "Some riders rode too fast before STRAVA..." blah blah blah...' "Alcohol doesn't create alcoholics, guns don't kill people..." Understood. Save the spurious arguments and faulty logic.

Yes, STRAVA is an inanimate object/service that doesn't make anybody do anything, but it is a powerful intoxicant that is a catalyst for asshattery. Its proliferation has helped create an army of riders who cannot seem to enjoy their rides without data to reinforce and prove their fun - and their documented superiority (or humiliation). Then, they need to go out and beat those times - and that's the crux.

...not anybody on this site however. All IMTB riders use STRAVA responsibly and still enjoy the heck out of each and every ride regardless of what their ride data say. :wave:

What if we agree that STRAVA users have to use flat pedals and 1x11. We can combine these sub-threads into one big circular argument that won't convince anybody of anything, until a voice of reason - a knight on a white horse with a keyboard - comes in and says "you ride how you like, I'll ride how I like, and that's all that matters. Just don't be a jerk to anybody when you ride. In fact, be extra courteous." Then we will sing songs and share a beer.

An IPA of course... :twisted:

Mikie likes this.
  25. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Like the ringlets in the cross section of a tree. So are "The Days of our Lives" :Roflmao

This timeline of STRAVA talk too, shall pass.. ;)
    We could start a new thread on the philosophies of STRAVA, I leave that up to someone else... :D
    This is the "I rode my bike today... post and has been a most wonderful, and, the most long standing post on imtbtrails. :clap:

Huge kudos to the OP for starting such an awesome thread! who "else" rode their bike? :thumbup:

26. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I'm gonna ride my bike today. I'll report back later.
    220ae25e24bc3fcce9aea77610f9f75d.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  27. LLPoolJ

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Just got back from a ride up Loch Leven with my boy(17). 13+ miles 2g of climb. Little cool to start the ride and at the top it was colder. Some hikers and other riders on the trail today enjoyed the banter while passing. The boy flew up this climb and waits impatiently at the top for the old man to break out the wallet so he can inhale some country fried steak and fries. I did have a comeback to his snide remarks when I got there. "I was faster this time look at the numbers." He wasn't impressed. Kids!
    After breakfast/lunch the downhill part back to the truck which I always enjoy. No pedaling and swooping corners with some fun little water bars to catch a bit of air. Passed a few dudes on the way down, they looked to be having a great time also in the tacky dirt. This was the 1st time the boy has done this downhill he seemed to enjoy it.
    Looking forward to the next ride wherever it may be.

28. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Very nice road ride today. 38 miles and 1800'. Definitely ready for the Cruisin the Conejo Century in 2 weeks!
    70ee366844425537079d2d09bd7a1566.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2 climbs, 2 descents in my local hills after a "big" day (for me) yesterday. Legs felt good, and bike felt great! Last time I rode Rock-It was on that Norco demo with the questionable fork that resulted in one of the slowest, least confident runs I can remember. Ripped it a new one today on my own equipment - precise and forgiving.

Beautiful day to be out, once again! :wave:

30. Black Licorice

Black Licorice Member

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nomad
    @Herz- when I did the whiting -old camp - luge - whiting loop it was about 4,000' and 25 miles.

Today I rode my bike and didn't even turn on my STRAVA! It was fun playing around on trails hitting little kickers and not worrying about pinning everything while pedaling hard on all of the flat areas.