I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Considered a couple different rides today but it was just to easy to roll out from the garage and hit Tapia. Temps were awesome, skies overcast and a slightly misty drizzly kinda thing for most of the ride made the glasses fog up and the dirt almost tacky. Ran in to Pat(psm) on the second trip up to the towers and we BS'd for a while then hit G-out and stopped and BS'd some more before parting ways to head home. Great morning for a ride.

Took me a bit longer to get home than usual cause thousands of other people were riding their bikes for the 32nd annual love ride...
    IMG_3047.jpg

They're everywhere and I'll leave out my tasteless Harley jokes cause there were some seriously nice bikes cruising around...
    IMG_3048.jpg

knucklebuster, Luis, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Danimal, Faust, Cougar myself and an interloper (friend of Dan's) named Jeff. took to the trails today. Sort of... Jeff bailed at the top of Whiting. mtnbikeJ was a no show. A ride like this is an afterthought or warm up for him.

Whiting-STT-Luge-Whiting. 16 miles. 2400' Lots of fun. Kinda sweaty with the high humidity.

Faust pre-rode about 1000' 'cause he knew if he were riding with me his climbing numbers would be embarrassingly small. He also added some EC up to Mark's bench,

Fun run down the Luge, as always. Well worth the climbing. Dan set a PR, and I can claim that I did too, because you can't prove me wrong. Craig had a solid ride down the hill too. Faust was also quick - especially for a hardtail.

Faust turned left on Live Oak Cyn Road when we turned right. He probably rode up Holy Jim and down Trabuco, or at least did some laps in O'Neil. Dude is strong, especially for someone in a salmon-colored jersey. ;)

That left three. I was on the verge of quad cramps due to the higher-than-I-am-used-to gear ratio I had to push up the hills. That, and only riding about 6 times in the last two months. So I spun easy along Santiago Canyon road, and pushed my bike up the first little climb back in Whiting. That paid off. I was able to hammer pretty hard through the frosting-on-the-cake that is Whiting (Cactus, Sleepy Hollow, Live Oak, Serrano Cow Trail, etc). Dan blasted that section with Craig trying his damnedest to reel him in. I brought up the rear, taking advantage of Cougar's slipstream.

And then there were two. Craig had to return to husband and daddy duties, while Dan and I enjoyed some eats at Wahoos.

Oh, and the Intense Tracer didn't suck. I don't have to rush out and buy it however as it did not help me keep pace with Steve and Dan on the climbs.

Mt. biking is fun!!!! :) Thanks for the camaraderie today, boys! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

WahoosLot10-20-15.jpg

3. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Well-Known Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    Since Tom hit alot of the same points I would I'll tag team his post and just add a few things. I was out today to meet up with a coworker and his son who rides on the hs mtb team. Did a lap with them and few other members of the team and their dads. Then saw Tom and another buddy James who's in the process of manufacturing some really cool helmet lights that he'll have available soon. He's let me use one and they work awesome. Like Tom said alot of bs'ing with some fun riding thrown in. Add a couple of scenery shots just for the hell of it

WP_20151018_11_00_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20151018_11_01_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20151018_11_01_06_Pro.jpg

4. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Too lazy and tired to go into details. Was fortunate enough to get in two good rides this weekend. Yesterday I did the 22nd annual Ottobeerfest and today the JRA gravel ride on my MTB. A little over 50 miles and 6000 feet. Time for another beer.Screenshot_2015-10-18-13-18-12-1.png Screenshot_2015-10-18-13-16-45-1.png

knucklebuster, Luis, Grego and 10 others like this.
  5. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    It was great to get out with DAnimal, Herz, Faust and Jeff today. I was slow up Mustard and STT as one would expect (Herz likes bringing me along because I'm someone he can out climb), but I managed a PR run down the luge which was fun. It was only 3s, but I haven't rode the Luge since May (For some reason - I used to do that with far more regularity).

It was a fun group outing, next time I'll try and get wife clearance for the Wahoo's afterwards :)

6. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66

I am sooo spoiled and I know it! :p

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  7. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 27.5
    My daughter is hounding me to go buy her an outfit today so I gotta be quick!! Luis, Jose Pete and myself hit up Chesebro today, my first time! ...Great destination to ride, well worth the trip! Had to cut it a little short but still got in 19 miles and 2770 gain.... I can see how you can stay here all day riding the many different options, will be back for shooo!.

Thanks @Luis for the tour!

Screenshot_2015-10-18-13-57-58.png
    Luis got a flat hahaha!
    20151018_100645.jpg
    Perfect temps and scenery!
    20151018_090623.jpg

8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Why is it so much fun to pick on Luis? Ha ha ha!

MCB2K, Cisco Roots and Luis like this.
  9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    A little Whiting Ranch love today...

What is it about weekends that brings out the jerks who don't know how to bike courteously? Got run off the trail by some noob bombing into ascending traffic. I should have just held my line, let him smash into me, and then beat him senseless with my bike frame. I can't stand idiots. I was taking a guy out who had never been to Whiting before... and he got to see all the knuckleheads.

10. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Jennifer and I were climbing a local trail and a group of about 10 Fast Friday guys were coming down. I pulled aside and the first one says watch out there are 10 of us. Watch out? Not thank you? I just pulled back onto the trail and made myself as wide as I could. Surprisingly the rest of the group were very friendly. Go figure.

11. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    It's cus I'm a Fungi...

12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    What's with the collared shirt on Steve? Is that "downhill casual"? I can tease him because I know what a bike monster he is... but collars? What a fashion leader!

I actually think he is tempting people to comment on it... so he can smoke them on a ride and yell "and it was all the collar!"

13. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I really enjoyed today... It's nice to break up the solo rides, and Herz, Cougar, D Animal & Jeff were fun to ride with. Mtnbikej and RWS missed a fun time... Hint hint for next time! :whistling:

I have to admit, though, I was a little worried when we had our first mechanical 20 yards from the parking lot. But, that was the only one... :thumbsup:

It's fun to watch guys who enjoy the downhills. I've gotten a little faster in the last year or so, but I'll never let the bike go like the guys who truly enjoy it. I actually stayed at the flag and watched until Herz and Cougar were out of sight. The two guys who were there watching were quite impressed, and I got some residual cred. They let me drop in first... :thumbsup:
    I usually do the Luge alone, and I'm a lot more cautious. Today, I didn't want to be the guy who held up the group, so I let it go a little faster, and got into the low 5s for the first time. I'll take it...

image.jpeg

14. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Good ride with good people, nice to see everyone! Everyone was riding strong today.
    Luge was tacky and fast with the high humidity. I felt fast on the Luge, and STRAVA confirmed that it was a PR. Even though Faust was on a HT he was not far behind.
    But yesterday strava it said my run was 12 minutes, so have to take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks everyone for coming out to the ride, hope we all do it again soon!

(ps, my legs are toast..)

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I plan to make one of these soon. Just didn't have enough time to make the 45 min drive each way AND ride.

16. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Went to Bonelli with the fully loop crew. Didn't know today was also a running event but that didn't interfere at all. Just had to change our route plans slightly. Still ended up covering most of the trails in the park. Great weather and camaraderie. No casualties. The usual smack talk, future ride plans and a little bbq at the end. Good times! :D

b1.png

b2.png

b3.png

b4.png

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Yeah, I'm guilty....but with an excuse. We had a horse emergency last night and by the time I got home and in bed, it only left me 2.5 hrs of sleep for me to get up and ride out meet up with y'all. Just wasn't gonna happen.

I will get in on the next one.

Cougar, pperrelle, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Ok....since I missed the Hertz Love'a'thon at Whiting....I did get out for a ride.

Decided to head over towards the coast....looked like it was supposed to be cooler there.

Started at Quail Hill parking lot. Headed up Serrano, and so on.....too many trails to list....but I ended up doing quite a few of them. Temps were cool/hot/cold/hot/humid/cool/hot/warm/cold...you know, completely predictable.

Anyway...really didn't see many other riders out....and I was out from 11:00am to just minutes before dark.

Kinda bonked at mile 44...but was able to pull through.

Ended up with 5o.3 miles / 7986' ascent.....really wanted 8000'

Screenshot (80).png
    Screenshot (79).png

19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I can see that I need to get my carcass out to Bonelli. Looks like fun times!!

Grego likes this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    My clusterf*ck comment was not pointed at Hertz's ride....it was intended to the High School CC Meet going on at Irvine Park....made Easter and Memorial Day crowds look small. That is the cluster that I am glad I stayed away from.

21. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Get out there this Saturday for the Turn and Burn 6hr endurance race.:thumbsup:

GregMiester likes this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:

That's one of those marital tests... The wife bought one, and I wore it. She assumed that I really liked it, so she went back and bought two more!

23. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Wow... I'm so glad you got out for a little ride. Oh well, I guess a short one is better than nothing. :whistling:

24. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I didn't read it as referring to our merry little band of men, but thank you for clarifying nonetheless.

And I will gladly do an additional 14 vertical ft for you so you can have a full 8000, ya wuss! (waving smartass emoticon)

25. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    And I was in the middle of that cluster! It was nice, though, as it was an excuse to get my wife on her bike. She probably did 10 miles from the college, around the park multiple times, and back to the college. :thumbsup:

26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    pperrelle, Luis, Andy and 3 others like this.
  27. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    I was being a bit of a smart ass myself with the spoiled remark. I rode today, just a back yard jaunt of 9 miles, no big deal.image.jpg

28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    This Saturday (actually this Wed - Sunday) is also the OCHSA (Orange County Horse Show Association) Finals. My kid is competing, so I will not be riding my bike this coming weekend. But let me know of a future ride and I'll be there.

pperrelle and Faust29 like this.
  29. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Went out for another quick spin through Whiting today with New Mike. 11 miles and 1700 feet (we climbed to 4 corners twice). He crushed it!

Funny thing... we saw a doe bouncing across the trail as we were ascending Serrano Cow Trail. I pointed it out to Mike, and was startled to see the deer stop to watch us, and then come heading back to the trail. I had visions of the MTB video where the biker in Africa was taken out by the antelope. The deer got really close, and I said "don't hit us" kinda half joking. As soon as it heard my voice, its ears shot up and it took off. Must have been an extremely near-sighted deer :) Can't say I've ever been that close to a wild deer before :)

30. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Got out to do my commute again today. Two rides, total of 33 miles and a couple hundred feet climbing. Life is great!!

Postal Pat, Voodoo Tom and BonsaiNut like this.