I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    I can post here today! Local ride (of course). A couple of climbs and a couple of fun descents. Bike was flawless. Weather was fine (70s, maybe 82 by the time I finished). Crowd wasn't too bad. I had to pause a couple of times to either let a slow group finish, or to get out th' way of a group of he-man studs riding straight at me whilst I was about to climb a little techy section. (Shaking Fist emoticon)

Mt biking is fun! :thumbsup:

Here's my Strava Data: :geek::gag::stop::cool:o_O:rolleyes::)

Time to go surf. :sneaky:

ridinrox, Cisco Roots, Grego and 8 others like this.
  2. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    I did.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    51 pages and counting so I'll do my part to fill this page up. Besides Mikie ordered us to ride and post a lot so if this gets boring just blame him.

I sorta promised the family some family time this weekend otherwise this would be a ride report from Wrightwood. Instead it comes from the beautiful brown hills of the drought stricken town of Castaic. Since my pillow won the wrestling match this morning and I was forced to sleep in the numbers weren't all that impressive but I still rode and had fun so thats all that matters. Rather than hitting the usual Tapia stuff which is always fun, for some stupid reason I decided to hit some of the stuff nobody else rides on the lake side. The stats don't do any justice for how bad some of the climbs hurt.

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 11.15.02 AM.png

To add icing to the cake these normally hard packed roads were nothing but sand...
    IMG_3003.jpg

When the climbing is done there is usually a bit of sweet singletrack payoff, except for today as this seemed to be a recurring theme...
    IMG_2997.jpg

If somebody wants about 200 cords of dry pine firewood we just have to sneak in after hours with some 4WD trucks, it's everywhere...
    IMG_2999.jpg

Bring on El Niño...
    IMG_3007.jpg

I save this trail for last cause it's the most fun, but not today. Something tells me they don't want riding here anymore...
    IMG_3008.jpg

Ok that's it for pictures of my handlebars...

Luis, mike, Danimal and 15 others like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Nice Tom!
    A full 700 points!

5. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    You and your family are inspiring - count your blessings VT!!

Luis, Grego, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  6. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Well-Known Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    I rode my bike today, 18 plus miles the standard Tapia loop from my house. I won't bore you with the details other than saying warm and a bunch of fun, but I'll share some pictures. We gnome who you are mikie

WP_20151011_10_32_08_Selfie.jpg

WP_20151011_10_30_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20151011_10_29_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20151011_10_23_46_Pro.jpg

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Darn I knew I shoulda hit Tapia...

Mikie, Postal Pat and UPSed like this.
  8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Thanks Rox, and I do count my blessings all the time. Trust me it's not always the fairy tale I post here. I'm actually a super private person who just refuses to air out dirty laundry on the web our anywheres in public for that matter. Decided several years ago to distance myself from the negative folks that were just bringing me down to the same level and my life is way better because of that choice. Thanks mountain biking and imtbtrails...

GregMiester, Luis, ridinrox and 5 others like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Daham! UPSed! Sunday doubles points! Let's see 700, carry the 2, divided by stoke and the pic factor = 1450 mega points!
    Okay... I'll stop now....

Edit: Okay, I can't stop...
    @psm had I gnome you were going to ride and post these quality type pics (the pink flamingo takes it over the top!) I would have recalibrated the points system! Maximum gnome and flamingo point scoreage!!!

10. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Hold on there, Mr. Points man. The "Point" of this thread was simple little reports of the rides that wouldn't really warrant a full ride report. Now you're asking for photos and Strava screen shots? That makes them a real ride report!

Help! I've been hijacked and re-purposed by The Man!!!!
    (shaking fist emoji)

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    POINT! Well taken.... I knew I was getting out of control. :gag:I'm out of my meds/beer combo and coming down with a withdrawals crash... All should be good now I digress...

Carry on!

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Got out today for a ride... a road ride! Tried to get going by 7:00 but left @ 7:30. Could already feel it warming up. Same run up the foothills as yesterday for the first 7.5 miles, but instead of hitting the Crafton Trails, meandered through the burg of Yucaipa. I think I hit every drinking fountain on the way in order to keep my bottle (only brought one...) topped off. Pay off is descending through Live Oak and San Timoteo Canyons on the way back home. I always ride the three or so dirt miles of the Carriage Trail through the San Tim Nature Preserve, so it wasn't a total waste of a ride!!

The 30 miles over three hours is spot on my typical 10 mph average.
    upload_2015-10-11_15-21-31.png

And as always, I picked up one of these little devils:
    22094556945_013fd1444d_z.jpg
    Wouldn't be a ride without them ;-(
    by David, on Flickr

Luckily Stans in the tube (just put in yesterday!) got me home!!!

Andy, pperrelle, GregMiester and 12 others like this.
  13. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    What's with all these road rides lately? We're going to have to start calling the forum imtbtrails-and-roads :gag:.

Just kidding, I'm just as guilty :bang:. Carry on :whistling:.

14. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    After a week of business travel, the only bike time I got today was with my middle son at the school practicing riding. He can't start on his own, or emergency brake of any value, but I pushed him once and he was still going 30 minutes later. Rawr.

15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    As much as I like you Grego.........

Grego and Runs with Scissors like this.
  16. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    New jersey...20151011_082311.jpg 20151011_133038.jpg Mmmmmmm

Well it is my turn to post here !!
    did 35 miles on the road on my reign... uff heavy !! (36 lbs with the road tires..)
    did good all the ride, better than expected actually, from my group of 5 I finished 1st !!! and 1 of my friends which was training 3 times a week, cramped at mile 27 and had to call a volunteer for a ride to the finish line... and all of them riding road bikes with skinny tires.. the event is Cycle for Life.. my company is a sponsor.. so we ride for free and we get a new jersey every year, sweeeeet ! food was tri-tip, bbq chicken and pulled pork and all the fixin's and 2 beers (skinny dip and rocco....IPA's for sure) Good times, a little bit hot but hey I had lots of fun !

17. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Great job Jamie, but I too am concerned about all of this road love. I'll eat the food, and maybe choke down an IPA, but you can have your tarmac.

(Ooops, can I say tarmac, or will Specialized police come busting through the interwebs and shut down this site? "But I didn't capitalize it...!")

This is my thread so I henceforth declare - get all your asses back on dirt immediately! I may need to retroactively change the thread title to "I Rode My Bike on Dirt Today..."

tortoise, Grego, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Then my ride still qualifies. My dirt connector is about a mile long. 20151011_095537.jpg

Grego, Mikie, Daddy Dirtbag and 9 others like this.
  19. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Wasn't today, but last Saturday... Went to the LBS to get the rear squishy bit installed (I'll do another thread on the current state of the TB LTc) and took my soon to be 4 yr old to the "ramps". Valmont Bike Park is a jewel, created by the Mtn Bike, cross, and business communities in Boulder.
    Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 8.11.05 AM.png

More Info: https://bouldercolorado.gov/parks-rec/valmont-bike-park

herzalot, Varaxis, Grego and 8 others like this.
  20. GregMiester

GregMiester Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    "Church" on Sunday. My buddy Noel and me hit Turnbull Canyon yesterday evening, no bikes and few hikers...almost like the old days! I think the heat is keeping many away. A couple hours of golden sunshine with a breeze to keep things cool rounded out a nice weekend for me.

IMG_20151011_192703.jpg

Screenshot_2015-10-12-09-27-27.png

herzalot, Varaxis, Oaken and 13 others like this.
  21. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz: Nomad + Highball
    Tired of the heat. And not riding because of it...

Solution: 4:30am start

today.jpg

Nice to watch the sun rise

sunrise.jpg

Varaxis, Grego, pperrelle and 7 others like this.
  22. GregMiester

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    ^ Nice! I agree, this heat is a bit oppressive.:gag:

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and Andy like this.
  23. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Well-Known Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    Two reasons I rode today, 1. couldn't let my union negotiated holiday go to waste :thumbsup: , and 2. while on my ride yesterday I found a bunch of empty beer bottles all over, didn't have a way to get them so I came back today with a bag and packed them out. If I can do it so can the d bags who left them, that kind of crap just makes me mad

WP_20151011_11_08_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20151012_11_31_59_Pro.jpg

Mikie, Varaxis, doublewide and 13 others like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I think we, as bikers, have a better appreciation because we get out there under our own power... Douchebags in 4x4s don't sweat to get there.

Mikie, jaime, hill^billy and 3 others like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That, my friend, is an astonishing photo! Nice work, and thanks for sharing! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mikie and GregMiester like this.
  26. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    15mi and 3000' delivers a good ride for how small Turnbull is. On occasion we used to link every (almost) trail for a 20mi 4000' ride and I'd be beat after that. Haven't been there for some time now, is the tank accessible still? Was always a point of interest. Thanks.

Mikie, GregMiester and Andy like this.
  27. GregMiester

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    Hey Grego, yeah Tank is still there behind a wrought iron gate now. Not sure what the goal was with the gate as people are painting on it still anyway. I had to climb up to the water tower twice to get my 3k feet yesterday but I didn't hit A line so there was still some trail we didn't cover. Cow trail is a blast would have liked to hit that or 7th st. twice but we ran out of daylight. Turnbull is great for what it is and where it is and seems to have a bit of everything.

Mikie, Faust29 and Grego like this.
  28. GregMiester

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    Got a ride in early this morning. Started at 630am in the dark trying to head off the heat, it started to lighten up within 15 minutes but I found that much of this ride is shaded in the morning by the mountain side. No one out there but me though I did see some hikers walking in from the highway toward the tunnel.

Oh and I got a chance to try out my Garmin 500(I bought used from a friend) and sorry to say Mikie, but I likie and will likely be keeping it. If I upgrade to a fancy new fangled one, you can have first go at it:thumbsup:

Screenshot_2015-10-13-11-46-32.png
    IMG_20151013_132711.jpg
    farfocus.jpg
    20151013_084350.jpg
    20151013_091608.jpg

Mikie, Cisco Roots, BeckTrex and 12 others like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I like Gregmeister's ride better... :thumbsup: But I got out for a quickie around the block. The legs felt really heavy, until the last 2 miles. :thumbsdown:

They really need to finish the construction around the ball park at Canada Vista...
    IMG_5256.jpg

Toughest stretch of trail that I ride... The doublewide strollers are murder to get by. :whistling:

IMG_5257.jpg Untitled 2.jpg

Mikie, Cisco Roots, BeckTrex and 10 others like this.
  30. GregMiester

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    Babies heads takes on a whole other meaning...

Mikie, herzalot, Cougar and 1 other person like this.