I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Nice whip! Trails pretty easy to work out without a local showing you the tips and tricks?

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Rode before work. Up Fern/down Fern. Was looking for speed, found it. Didnt even need to have brakes on my bike today, incredible traction. Hero dirt perfection.

13.72 miles and lots of elevation gain.

E64B1D36-90E7-4EE1-A1BB-8E45EF37199F.jpeg

92D2E4B1-2D8E-4CB1-A962-D233B3A5B340.jpeg

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I rode this morning. 16+ miles, almost no gain.

At approximately 4:45 I'll do it again, but in the other direction. :thumbsup:

Grego, Old&InTheWay, tfitz and 8 others like this.
  4. tfitz

tfitz Well-Known Member

Name:
    tom fitz
    Prescott it’s just wonderful here no bugs and in the 70s

3FFF83C1-7840-465D-AB43-C3C4CD8D5AF6.jpeg

Luis, Old&InTheWay, kioti and 12 others like this.
  5. luskie

luskie Member

Name:
    Randall Loscutoff
    Current Bike:
    Piviot Mach 5.5
    Yes the trails I rode are really burnt in with tire tracks. There are don’t enter signs and two way signs
    I looked starava tracks from others that have ridden there a lot of trails to ride out there

6. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Dead Highball
    Quick run through O'Neill and out to the Luge... Bikes are fun! And seeing as how there wasn't another soul in O'Neill, I climbed the Vista DH single track instead of going up Live Oak. That gets the old heart rate up. And up the "back side" of Modjeska Grade... I guess it was the day for the oddball climbs. :D

21 miles and 2800 feet...

:thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Fueledbyex8, Grego and 8 others like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    It sounds like a really fun place, but figure it's best with local knowledge. Or a detailed Strava heatmap!

Speaking of which, I got some miles in: https://www.strava.com/activities/1574966473 Short drive up to where the pavement ends, then I pretty much had the world to myself for the next hour. Best therapy out there! Dirt roads up, singletrack all the way back.

42140360331_354f6cf946_b.jpg

Danmtchl, Grego, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  8. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Got home early today so I jumped on my bike and sprinted up to Tower 45 and back. I'm guessing I was already warmed up from work as I was able to push it as soon as I left the house. Pavement to Runkle and Albertson fire roads. Grabbed me 7 PRs and a cup. All on climbs and all on my Minion DHF plus tires. Tire choices are so confusing.
    13.3 miles
    1926'
    12mph pace

20180515_193536-2016x1512.jpg 20180515_193321-2016x1512.jpg 20180515_193611-2016x1512.jpg

Danmtchl, Fueledbyex8, Grego and 10 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Your bike, your choice of trails, your signature - where you been hiding, oh kindred spirit?! 'Bout time we get one more of us on here to counteract the mega-climbers! Now there's three! (OK, maybe 5).

And welcome! (waving emoji)

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Woohoo.....Tuesday at the Oaks.

Been meaning to get out to Weir Canyon....so today I did so. Did 2 loops. Breeze back there kept the temps cool.

Oaks wasn't as quiet as I would have liked.

Had to warn the camp councilor that hiking up Chutes Ridgeline with the group of kids was probably not a good idea. :bang: She had no idea where she was going. o_O

1 rattlesnake sighting.

Good times.

26 / 4000'

Screenshot (75).png IMG_3748.jpg IMG_3750.jpg

Danmtchl, Fueledbyex8, Grego and 10 others like this.
  11. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '14 Giant TCX SLR2 Cross Bike
    The wife and I made a 2am cruise out to Flagstaff on Saturday morning for my niece's NAU graduation. I knew I'd have about 4 - 6 hours to myself on Sunday to explore. @UPSed was helpful with some ride suggestions and my wife's boss gave me a referral to Cosmic Cycles. It couldn't have turned out better. Cosmic opened at 10 and set me up with a Rocky Mountain Instinct and I had a nice 2 mile warm-up ride over to the Schultz Creek trailhead.

I've been on my CX bike for 3+ years now and only riding a MTB about every other year. Wow, what a drastic change. With the slack front end I was wondering all over the place. I met a great couple who let me tag along. Schultz Creek to the Pond, back to Secret, to Newham and ride all the way back down on Dogfood/Engineer. Climbing at 7K' is always a little shock, but was easy to forget on the long down. Great trails and beautiful vistas. Go back a few posts to @tfitz report and that was typical of the trails. 17 miles & 1900' of pure bliss.

So much fun I only took one picture.....
    1.jpg

Headed home Monday & took a detour to the Grand Canyon. Came in at the East entrance and hit the viewpoints on the way to the village. Took a zillion photos.......
    20180514_094537_resized.jpg

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I love Flagstaff... Great town! How did you like the bike by the end of the day?

13. tfitz

tfitz Well-Known Member

Name:
    tom fitz
    North of Prescott with little less climbing 334 feet for 5.5 miles

1862E062-42C6-4A70-AF0F-FEADA537D8C4.jpeg

14. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Is that the alloy 50? That's at the top of my short/wishlist when I finally get a new ride... Seems to be a well balanced machine. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

15. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '14 Giant TCX SLR2 Cross Bike
    Like a dummy, I fell in love with it. It is light years ahead of my old Heckler. I was most impressed with how smoothly and easily it rolled the rocks. I think we only hit three drops and it felt like landing in a pillow. Good thing I didn't have $3K in my pocket.

Yes, it was the Alloy 50 build. The Fox 34 and SRAM build worked perfectly and much smoother than I could have imagined. I only used the dropper two or three times and I can see why everyone has them now. No creaks, super solid rear, the brakes were fine with no squeals or fade. I guess my MTB skills need a LOT of polishing as I almost washed out several times but I'm not blaming the tires. Coming from the CX bike the bars felt a mile wide at first but finished feeling just right. The weird part was how much more effort it took to pop the front tire up versus the Lauf Grit equipped CX bike that I'm used to. Fun, fun and more fun.

16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Good intel, thanks! It looks like a good bike and I wasn't aware of it before. The front end of my Chameleon is really "heavy" compared to my XC geo Gunnar... I think that's just the nature of modern long/low geometry.

Danmtchl, kioti, pperrelle and 4 others like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Which is really funny, cause I think the Chameleon wheelies and manuals much better than my Highball did.

18. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Same with the carbon Highball! Much harder to lift than the lizard.

19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    It's the relaxed geo of the Lizard that makes the front end pop up so easily. Just as much as it's the relaxed geo of the Lizard that makes grinding up 25% grade hills a real challenge.

20. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I really don't notice the difference in climbing that much. With one gear, I stand all the time anyway.

21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    That makes sense. It would be most noticeable in a seated position in low gears. You have to lay your chest on the handle bars to keep traction and balance and a planted front wheel on the super-duper steep ups with these modern, aggressive geo hardtails.

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Maybe it's technique, but the lizard is planted to the ground like it's made of Velcro, whether 29er or plus wheels. On my Gunnar I could bunny hop, manual, wheelie all day long. With the Chameleon, I basically can't hop or lift the front end at all, and just end up plowing through everything. I presumed that was a feature of the geometry. I dunnhoooo....

23. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    The next time you are doing a steep climb on the Lizard, pull back on the bars. It will lift off easily compared to an XC geo rig.

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Ha, not worried about riding a wheelie up the hill... it's hopping over rocks on the way down! :) Come to think of it, it seems to climb just as well as my XC bike, maybe even better. That bike seemed to be a skittish climber.

25. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    We rode last night... I thought it was going to be just @mtnbikej and me for the usual Maple Springs to Motorway loop, but @mike ran us down just before the end of the pavement! Too cool... A minute to park, catch up, shoot the breeze, and our twosome became a threesome. Social pace all the way up to Four Corners and then some fun across a dusty Main Divide for 6 miles. Whiteout conditions in spots. :D

Motorway was fast and loose... Fun run down. I rode the lizard 1/2 fat last night. 3 incher up front and 2.3 in the back. The best of both worlds. Rolled back to the cars, loaded the bikes, and drove mike back up to his truck for a cold and frothy post-ride refresher. That really hit the spot... :thumbsup:

It's a little long, but I left the Motorway section almost completely intact. Maybe @UPSed will watch it and ask for a death march that includes Motorway. :whistling:

17/3600

26. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    A nice, relaxing 16 mile commute this morning. :thumbsup:

I know schadenfreude is not nice, but I had to chuckle at the stupid teenager biking to school (good) while staring at his phone (bad). He ran smack into a telephone pole. Luckily not hurt, but truly embarrassed. :laugh:

Maybe he'll learn.

28. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Include it all! I've yet to be disappointed with your OC goods!

29. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    That's a good run there!

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I really don't get this. Same bike and I have to yell at mine to stay on the ground!

Motorway is fun. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl and Runs with Scissors like this.