I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Went for a quick-ish, short-ish ride which was all I had time for. Maple Springs gate to Santiago Peak and back. But somehow, my Garmin went apesht and froze up, and I tried to get it to work, but this time it did a hard reset - I lost my ride. FAQ!!!:bang::bang::bang:

It was about 4,100 feet, and 25 miles.

Ran into (as planned) @mtnbikej 's Death March crew at 4 Corners. Rode with them up to Santiago Peak, where I turned around and rode back down with no rear brake. :bang::eek:

20171111_093201.jpg

The views are great, as always.
    20171111_093242.jpg

2. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Skypark 5k run. Then 15 miles of rad W/Sidewalk and another buddy.

3. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    A sweet day of riding ST with my wife all over our local goods. We both rode well and had a blast. Couldn't have been better. :inlove::thumbsup:

Here's to the Santa Anas crew going huge...right on!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::eek::thumbsup:

4. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    I did not ride my bike today, but I did yesterday! Late afternoon rip through Marshall Canyon, up to the gazebo, back across to washout, through roller coaster, and out. Still pretty dry and loose in there. First ride in a while that I haven't set a new pr on any segments, but, got some trickier lines that usually slow me down a bit.

5. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Whilst the Super Crew was doing the SJT Ultra-Scenic route I rode my Inaugural Fall Maple - Motorway with my Brit Friend Chris, super nice day out.
    Had a bit of mojo ... attacked the Motoway and Bang!! PR'd it (downhill portion)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1271096796/segments/31406696991
    https://www.strava.com/segments/2681385

I did not expect that because my last PR was on hero-ish dirt back in Jan and now its kinda end of summer dirt. Moved me up the leaderboard for this year and in the IMTBTrails club , did not expect it but hey, feels good. Will go to bed with a smile on my face, relive it a bit even when my head hits the pillow skiing through the scree, doing a good job on the turns and abrupt bars and even when I hit that big baby head in that sweeping right hander at speed... relax ...and it was all right.

Notes:
    • I have always like to pushed myself when the time is right, many here push themselves in different way and I have raced / timed myself long before Strava... but it does make it easier and hey little friendly competition is OK if your into that kind of thing... not everyone is!
    • Yup there is a Special H3LL for stravaholes (unsafe passes/riding, posting off menu trails, posting closed trails etc..etc) its not for everyone
    • As discussed many times before motorway is not for everyone... lot of work to get there... and the payoff is kinda a wonky trail, some reason I find it fun / exhilarating.. some day I may pay for that.

ricke24, Luis, LLPoolJ and 11 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    Unbelievable...

The number of people on bikes today in Aliso was all-time, not including any special events. It was crazy. We still managed to get a few good runs in, but I felt bad for the hikers and other trail users when a group of 25 mobbed all over the popular trails. There were many large groups of 7-10 riders as well. I did NOT see any large groups of hikers, oddly enough.

And it happened today for the first time. I was riding down Meadows and I saw a rider coming up - at a rate of speed that was inhuman. Yes, a physically fit person riding an e-bike up Meadows at 15-20 mph. :thumbsdown::( :bang: Who has the right-of-way? I'll be damned if I'm giving the right of way to an e-biker climbing. :mad: That was the fourth e-bike I saw today in the park. And I saw four yesterday while riding with my daughter.

It was still a great day to be on a bike. 16 miles. 2400' Bike was superb. My older brother did well.

Bikes are fun! :cool:

7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    this morning at 830 I saw a group of at least 40! riders (Mtb's, not road bikes) assembling at laguna cyclery to start a ride. Sheesh.wonder if that was the large group u saw.
    I agree, e bikers dont get right of way in my book.

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Fun ride in Oakmont Park. I drove my bike up there, as I was running out of daylight. Had a great time on the trails. No e-bikers, either!
    This bike climbs like a beast. It takes more energy to get it up the climbs, but there is so much traction I don't have to worry about the tire losing traction, or balancing the front/rear weight. Just jump on the pedals and go!
    38351625941_50dc370dea_b.jpg

9. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Chino Hills solo ride. Unplanned route starting from Brush Cyn. Park. Would not take long to realize there was a running event going on. Tried my best to avoid their course. Climbing was a little more challenging because the new chain slips across the 42t cog. I just can't justify buying a new cassette when 10 other cogs work fine. Plus I figure in about 50 rides when the chain has stretched it will fit in the 42t just fine as the old chain did. We'll see, probably not. Kept a slow cruise throughout the day. Peaceful ride. Ended up with 36/4600.:thumbsup:
    monibuvyctxrx.jpg

10. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    If Sram pretty sure you can just replace the 42.

Example (think there are a number of solutions)

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/gcx-42t-gc-cog-for-sram-xx1-x01-cassette

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

Good route......except the climb up Telegraph from Bane Canyon.

Grego and Faust29 like this.
  12. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    InnnnConnnnCeivable!! o_O

Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  13. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Glad no one got hurt! That's been one of my biggest concerns ... no one (mountain bikers or hikers) is expecting someone going up a singletrack like meadows at 15-20 mph ... that's just a collision waiting to happen. Right of way is easy ... illegal trail users never have the right of way! The big question is did he yield the right of way?

That may be worse than the shirtless, stoner I saw at LCWP riding a downhill off-road moped last week. First he started going on about what a great trail "that hiking only trail at the bottom of Lizard" is (Laurel Canyon):eek::bang:. Saying how it's a blast and even more fun than Lizard ... and he referred to it as "that hiking only trail", so he knew exactly what he was doing! Then he said he was off "to bomb down Rattlesnake". Great, now riders on dual crown downhill bikes with massive travel are flying down single tracks that they wouldn't have been able to shuttle before. And flying through hiking only trails on that same downhill bike! That's really going to win mountain bikers a lot of friends when it comes to trail access around here.:mad::bang:

14. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Short ride today from Ridge Park. Rattlesnake/I Think I Can loop to get back on the bike and test out my back after I overdid it trying to play basketball like I'm still half my age last weekend. It felt good to get back out there, weather was great, and had a fun, clean run down Rattlesnake.

I couldn't believe how crowded the parking was on the streets up at Ridge Park. I've gotten spoiled riding more on weekdays. Fortunately everyone on the trail was friendly, even if it seemed like half of them (hikers and mtn bikers) had earbuds in.

mike, Cyclotourist, Grego and 8 others like this.
  15. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Wouldn't it be weird if they dumped like a hundred rattlesnakes on Rattlesnake?

mike, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Did the OTB ride with @Luis and a bunch of great guys. I think our group totaled ten. New Millennium Trail is fantastic but it is not easy. Flat out scary/intimidating in some of the downhill switchback descends with near vertical drops down the hill side. You do not want to go over the side there! The climbing did indeed seem like it went on forever but the reward was well worth it. Some of the smoothest fast, flowy downhill around these parts. I shall return to do this one again, oh yes, I shall.

My Garmin unit says:

18.9 miles
    3005' of upness

The boys....

IMG_2990.JPG

17. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    First ride in a couple weeks. Rode Bell View trail in RSM. It's a fun fire road out and back. Only saw a few other riders, and maybe 4 hikers. Great views too!
    Apx 16.4 and 1800.

Mtb Bikes are fun :)

ricke24, mike, Luis and 10 others like this.
  18. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I just can't wrap my head around prying the cassette apart with a screwdriver and pressing a new cog on with pliers.:confused: I would think Sram intended the cassette to never come apart. Prying the pins out might upset their press fit tolerances and may not be as strong of fit as new. I'd hate to have my cassette fall apart on a ride. Just my thoughts. Thanks for the info. Wait, they have one in blingy blue. Could be a game changer.:D
    Trying to get away from the runners. Nope, they were there too. Cleaned the first two B's but HAB the third. Oddly enough, the entire climb seemed to go by quicker than the usual climb.

mike, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    My brother Tom and I took another shot at Aliso today. What a difference a day makes! Virtually NO crowds today, as opposed to the world record number of bikes we encountered yesterday. It felt like a weekday. And, it was overcast all day. :thumbsup: We just wanted to do a short ride today, since we did a longer ride yesterday.

I chose to introduce him to a bit more challenge, so we made an assault on 5-Oaks. We scouted a bit then ran it, and repeated once more. Tom was doing fine so we ran the rest of it down to the last - and arguably - most challenging section. He's not comfortable on steep, loose conditions, but he managed the entire run, except the stairs section.

We then went back over to Rock-It, because Tom wanted to go back to a familiar trail and conquer the short, chunky middle climb. We were also dialing in his suspension on his new Ibis HD3. You may recall from other threads, his 2004 Heckler was stolen, so the insurance company at first compensated him $1900 - a more than generous offer for such an old bike, but then they also covered the difference so basically he got his Ibis for about $100 out of pocket. :thumbsup:

Tom RockIt Ibis.JPG
    A little Rock-It climb...

About 1200' and 8 miles. Empty trails and big smiles! Bikes are fun! :thumbsup: :cool:

20. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Vince and I met up with Bobby and @ricke24 this morning for a Sycamore Cyn. cruise. Did our usual route from Jensons. Singletracks all over, down Rattlesnake, Rock tunnel, and all the twisty stuff. Later we played on the rocks and jumps. Overcast skies kept the weather cool all morning long. Great to throw Sycamore back in the mix.

stfjhlkj.jpg

21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    If I had a rear brake I'd have wanted to join for this...I've never been out there.

ricke24, mike, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  22. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    For a change I actually did ride my own bike today. Not because I wanted to but because my stepdad decided to hijack his own dang Hightower back so he could ride it. Woke up this morning thinking I'd ride the old ridge route to GE and back but decided I didn't feel like talking to myself for 5+ hours so I decided to stay closer to home and seek some company. Knowing that his bike was now properly broken in and he had no excuses my stepdad took me up on the ride invite.

First though I gotta back up in time about 15+ years. I've known Steve for a long time, since way before he met my mom and became family. Back in the day long before he ever met my mom he used to mop the floor with my skinny little ass on dirtbikes and truth be told he still can despite some serious injuries in the process. Today it was my turn to return the favor.

First please note the sparkly clean Hightower. Little does he know that I flogged the crap outah that thing for the last few weeks haha...
    IMG_6667.jpg

So he seems to think he has this whole MTB thing figured out by showing up like some kinda pro in his Spinter van and new Hightower.
    IMG_6670.jpg

So I was relegated to my own hoop'd 5.5 today.Truth be told she was kinda comfy. Good god would you look at this thing...
    IMG_6674.jpg

Lots of HAB but the old dude made it to the towers and I was proud of him. He kinda hates me though now. Descending Kona might have helped my cause though.
    IMG_6672.jpg

Voodoo enjoyed himself...

IMG_6681.jpg

That's all I got. Aparrently depending on how bad the cramps are later tonight will determine whether or not the Hightower has a big red bow with my name on it in the morning as an early inheritance. I'm hoping not...

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Good job!! I'm hoping to soon take my son-in-law out and make him whimper for mercy. :p:thumbsup:

24. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    @trailslayer sending it...:thumbsup:

25. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I joined @Luis, @SnakeCharmer and a few other guys for the New Millennium ride. I rode it twice last Saturday but it is such a fun loop I was willing to do it again. I parked a few miles away from the meet point so was able to get some extra credit before and after the ride. Very strong group today and minimal waiting. Looking forward to the next one. I have a new route in mind that adds a smaller loop at the end and you would get to Colossus twice! Stats would be 30 miles and 4600'. I will probably try it Thanksgiving weekend.IMG_20171112_122001_358.jpg

26. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I can't imagine you'd want to catch that much air but just for a moment, I pictured your head on top of Vince's body. :D

27. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Unbearably cool... even rocking the bottle... I never look that cool!
    Nice Pic!

28. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    I can’t imagine why anybody would not want to ride that Yeti?

29. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    That bike looks tough!

30. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeah. And I beat on it every ride.
    I never would have guessed that a simple, affordable, Aluminum hardtail would bring me such joy.
    Battered, but unbroken, what a ride...

Luis, Danimal, mike and 7 others like this.