I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Nope. I replaced the KMC 8 speed with another KMC 8 speed.

Mikie, mike, SnakeCharmer and 3 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Why an 8 speed chain? Are SS cog gear teeth "thick"?

Mikie, mike and Faust29 like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    It just seems that I've had the fewest issues with it staying quiet. I went back and forth with 8-9-10 speed chains, and kept going back to the 8 speed. The last two have lasted a long time. The one that just came off was just starting to make some noise, and it's been on the bike since the week after Vision Quest. 2000+ miles on the single speed... I've broken a few quick links in that time, but no main links. I can't say the same with the SRAM chains I've used.

I've never tried an 11 speed chain on the single speed... That might be even better, but I can get the KMC for $10. That's pretty hard to beat.

Mikie, mike, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    5-6-7-8 are all the same chain, the powers that be didn't start narrowing the chain till nine speed drivetrains.

Mikie, mike, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Considering the torture a SS chain endures, I would think that the gmarliest, beefiest chain models available are the way to go.

An 11 speed chain is darn narrow. Less material would seem easier to break.

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
  7. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Mikie, Evoracer, mike and 2 others like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    Right, and at three times the price, if it ain't getting at least double the miles... well, choice made!

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  9. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    A nasty cold kept me off the bike for a week, and the pain in my achilles that was an annoyance on the Holy Jim/Trabuco ride got worse and has kept me off the bike even longer. After 2 1/2 weeks of ice and rest I finally got back out today to test it out. I headed down to Ridge Park to enjoy the cool temps and try to limit the smoke. I was looking forward to Rattlesnake, but I decided to warm up with Lizard first since the problem with my achilles is only when I drop my heal, especially suddenly (like absorbing a hit). First of all I just felt awkward after a couple weeks of doing nothing active, much less riding. Then about 100 feet down the trail I hit a bump that sent a shooting pain into my achilles! So much for that experiment. I took it really easy the rest of the way down Lizard. Fortunately climbing didn't bother it at all, I just had no cardio at all after the layoff and the cold. Missing Link and Fence Line started to feel a little more natural, to I decided to go for Rattlesnake after all. It was definitely the highlight of the ride. It wasn't a great run down it, and it's kind of hard to be smooth when you don't feel like you can fully relax one of your ankles, but it was a decent run and there was no pain! The rest of the ride was up I Think I Can, back across Missing Link and Fence Line again (started to feel a little flow the 2nd time around), and back to the car. 12 miles of the slowest, most relaxed pace I can remember.

Usually, it feels good to just get out and ride if I haven't been able to ride for a while, but not today. Today was one of those rides I just needed to get out of my system. Kind of just clearing out the cobwebs so the next ride can be a good one. For me, the first ride after being sick, always sucks and I never feel like I have any energy. Combine that with feeling really tentative with my achilles, and I can just look at it and say "At least I got out and did it, and Rattlesnake was fun. The next one will be better."

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 7 others like this.
  10. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Finally. Back to ride reports. :thumbsup:

Mikie, herzalot, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    My buddy has a messed up achilles he hurt hiking, he's had to be off the bike for two months now. Take your time, and heal up right!!

Mikie, mtnbikej, mike and 4 others like this.
  12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I was tempted by @mtnbikej evening ride tonight, but it is difficult for me to get away most nights...

So instead I took my new wheelset out for a spin in the Santa Anas. Did a cheater loop with a lot of pavement :) Park at Tree Farm, up Maple Springs, down Harding, down Santiago Canyon Road back to Tree Farm. The gradual climb up Maple Springs is a lot easier than the Harding climb... and the 9 mile downhill on Harding without a soul to be seen, while not technically challenging, is still a lot of fun during the week.

27 miles, 3700 feet. Only took me three hours... and I would rate the ride only "moderately" difficult - if you can do the Maple Springs climb that's all there is to it!

Mikie, Evoracer, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er

Same one I did a week and a half ago, but the opposite direction. Good workout.

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    I've done that loop, it's a nice one!

Mikie, mtnbikej, BonsaiNut and 2 others like this.
  15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    My mileage/elevation ratios on this afternoon's ride are in mountain bike territory: https://www.strava.com/activities/1226095869
    Although all the climbing was on pavement! Nice ride, riding up the steepest hill in town (Rossmont). I survived it, took a really over-grown ridgleine trail (Lots of poodle + Russian thistle) down, rode the old standby through San Tim Cyn and back on roads home! Now I'm going to see if my new Moviepass works and go see It!
    36974009173_e56f3458b8_b.jpg

Mikie, mike, Evoracer and 8 others like this.
  16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    You've got me on miles for the year... but I've got 40,000 feet of climbing on you :)

My down months are killing me this year. April I biked a total of 18 miles :(

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    40,000 feet... that's no joke!!!
    I still have a couple months to catch up for the year!!!

18. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    We rode... @mtnbikej actually had some takers for his night ride! @H2oChick and Mr. H2oChick joined for the Whiting portion of the ride. Always a pleasure to ride with them. :thumbsup:

Temps were nice, trails were bumpy, conversation was great... Up Santiago Canyon and into Whiting at 4 Corners. Down Cactus, which claimed three fillings from the braking bumps and craters! That is a fat tire trail right now... Out to the front of the park through the twists and turns, and past all of the deer.

Up Borrego and Mustard. :gag: Chat with one of the guys from The Path, let the heart rate come down a little, and then up to the bench.

IMG_1269.jpg

Back to 4 Corners, down Cactus for a second time... And three more fillings lost! :p Up Santiago Ranch Road and out of the park at the equestrian facility.
    Here we parted ways with Mr. and Mrs. H20Chick, turned on the lights, and headed for the Luge!

We started seeing other riders on Modjeska Grade, and when I looked up at STT, there was a steady stream of lights... Hmmm. We were taking it easy, and to use @H2oChick 's description, we were in "mellow mode"! Until we hit the first gate and caught the herd. Mellow mode was out the window. @herzalot once chastised me a little for claiming that I had to wait for 30 people at the Luge. If we hadn't jumped in front of the herd last night at the gate, it might have been more! There were more people amassed there than I've seen altogether on all of our Maple-Motorway runs. :eek: STT is a hopping place at night...

We dropped down from the gate, and passed a couple of the group riders at the bottom of Little Mustard and started gaining on the ride leader about 1/2 way up. Caught him, and got on his back wheel, but never had the legs to go by. He was fast... We ended up chasing him all the way to the Luge and then chatted for awhile. Good fun! Not what we expected as far as pace, but it was a riot!

Down the Luge, testing out the new light on the bars. Feeling out the new Ardent Race 2.35 up front with about 16 psi. A little squishy, but not bad... Jason always knew where I was as my metallic pads overheated a little about 1/2 way down, and started squealing! I know, I know... Less braking. :oops:

Down the road, and back to Cook's! 17 miles and 2700 feet...

Great night!

19. Evoracer

Evoracer Active Member

Name:
    "That Guy"
    Current Bike:
    HBall SS, N9 old SS
    We're about even on stats. lol

Mikie, SnakeCharmer and Cyclotourist like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    It's a good place to be!!! :)

Mikie, SnakeCharmer and Evoracer like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Mixed it up a bit.....no Blackstar, no Maple Springs, no Motorway. Kinda felt like cheating.

Figured it would just be the 2 of us, since no else RSVP'd. Getting ready, @H2oChick and @cajun rolled up.....sweet they were joining, only for part of the ride, but still sweet.

We rolled up Santiago Canyon....it goes by quick these days all the way to the top of the climb then entered Whiting back by the water tower and dropped down Cactus. Last time I rode through here it was pretty torn up, today it seemed even worse.....same went for Sage Brush, the breaking bumps and bomb craters are getting ridiculous.

Fun run down Serrano Cow, and down Live Oak. Lots of deer out....not sure the hiker wearing ear buds even heard the deer scatter as we rode through Live Oak....her loss.

The ride back up Borrego is always a mystery....you never really know what kind of condition the trail is gonna be in. Again, I don't ride here often....the sand pit at the beginning was damp and mostly hardpacked. The first dry creek crossing has become very deep and sandy(wasn't expecting that). The big sand pit about 2/3rds the way up was the one I wasn't looking forward to. It has gotten me the last couple times through. Today, out front, I was able to attack and clean it. Behind me, apparently there was some bumper boats going on.

Up to Cattle Pond, there were 2 riders pulled over on the DH. I went by since they were stopped....turns out someone at the bottom was trying to film them. Apparently they pulled out in front of Kay on the way down.

Kay went into "mellow" pace going up Mustard. Greg went into attack mode.....Steve and I were in unofficial "chase" mode. Social spin up to Mark's Bench. Then another chattery run down Cactus....except now it was getting dark, so the holes were a bit harder to see. Quick spin up Santiago Ranch Rd and out the stables.....parted ways with the short loopers.

Felt like the spin up Modjeska Grade was quick...maybe it was the rabbits ahead of us. The pedal up to the first barrier went by in short order. We weren't pushing the pace....in fact at that point I think we were in "mellow" pace. Yah, at the barrier there was a herd....we kinda pushed through it. Got in front of most, but 3 made it out first. We caught and passed them at the beginning of FU Hill....then "mellow" pace turned into full on "sprint" pace to catch the next rider up. He held his own...we had 1 chance to get by him at the top, but ran out of trail. Eventually we backed off a little and he pulled away. Steve eventually pulled aside and I took lead. I could sense a could of other riders behind me, so I just went into "hammerfest" pace up the next 2 climbs.

Dropped a bit of air out of both tires before we dropped down to the Luge. 18 psi up front and 20 psi in the back felt like concrete. Short break at the flag. The big herd started making their way down. Steve said he was gonna take it easy going down the Luge. I have tried that in the past and found it to be more dangerous than just letting it rip. Yup, someone was trying to wake the dead with some squealing brakes.

Temps stayed nice the whole time. I took nothing with me....no jacket, no arm warmers. Turns out I wouldn't need them anyway.

First Luge night ride of the season. Think I'll stick with Motorway.

Mikie, herzalot, SnakeCharmer and 6 others like this.
  22. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Given the condition of Motorway, that means a lot. Maybe Joplin is in order? :)

Yesterday I was originally planning to do a Maples Springs / Motorway loop, but given how nasty the top of Motorway is, I just thought of it as a lot of work for very little reward. When you consider the section of Main Divide between Four Corners and Modjeska Radar Towers to be in better shape than the Motorway... time for some rain and trail work. And a new barrier to keep the motos out wouldn't hurt either.

It is the end of the dry season and many of the trails are crying out for work.

Mikie, kioti, mike and 4 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Warrior's Society is scheduling their trail work days.....most of these days will also go out to the public for help.

I'd rather stick to Motorway just to avoid the crowds.

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, mike and 3 others like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    I'll take Motorway any day- rough scree and all!

Mikie, SnakeCharmer and mike like this.
  25. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    firstdump.jpg

72 hrs later...

smash-evergreen10-12.jpg

Faust29, Evoracer, MattB and 13 others like this.
  26. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    ALL PR's ummm, meaning it was Personal Relaxation...
    Cruiser on P12 on Wednesday. Just a nonstop cruiser for some mileage after work. Close to using lights.... Grrrr! I hate winter!:mad: It's coming!
    all.prs.PNG

27. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Evening ride from home, through O'Neill Park. Up the west side, down Vista, up Coyote Canyon and back out to El Toro/Ridgeline. Vista was fun, descending Live Oak graded road on the west side was fun, the climbs were hard and the park was fairly quiet. Good to be back!

28. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Do u ride with clips or flats? If u want to ease tension on your Achilles while riding, run flat pedals and position the pedals further back under your feet.

29. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Thanks, that's a good idea! I ride with clips, but I do have a set of flats that I experimented with for a month about a year or two ago. So far it's still feeling pretty good after the first ride, so I think I'll stick with the clips for now but may borrow the foot position idea and move the cleats back a little as I rehab it a bit. If that's not enough or I have a setback, I'll try switching over to flats for a while for a much bigger difference. Thanks again, I hadn't even thought of that as a way to stay on the bike while taking a lot of pressure off the achilles.

30. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Generally, farther back than the cleats allow, almost under the ankle joint. Glad ur Achilles is feeling better, Achilles issues suck

mike, Faust29, MattB and 3 others like this.