I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Evoracer

Evoracer Well-Known Member

Name:
    "That Guy"
    Current Bike:
    HBall SS, N9 old SS
    Not a scratch on it! Haha.

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Looks like "Cat Scratch Feevah"

3. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I had planned to do the JRA and SCV MTB group ride on Sunday before committing to Saturday's SART ride. By the time I got home Saturday I wasn't sure if I would make Sunday's ride. I figured I would see how I felt in the morning. I woke up feeling fine so I had a couple cups of coffee, a few homemade oatmeal cookies and headed over to JRA. There were several riders from Santa Clarita and a few locals from the shop. We took surface streets over to Cheeseboro and did a pretty much standard tour. Up the canyon to Sulphur Springs, Sheep Corral, Bones, up Palo, back across Sheep Corral to Gas Pipe, Las Virgenes, up Pump Hill, back down the canyon and headed back to the shop. On the road ride over the pace was quick and my legs warmed up pretty fast. I was smiling thinking no way. My legs should be hurting me. Heading up the canyon I was able to hang with the lead group but towards the top a few got away. We regrouped a couple of times before heading down Bones. One of the guys with SCV (Ben Norman) I had noticed was pretty fast on the DH. Very good at picking lines on unknown trails. I let him take lead down Bones and we both tore it up. After the climb up Palo we headed back across Sheep Corral and headed down Gas Pipe. Again Ben took lead and it was all I could do to keep him in sight. The guy is an animal on the chunky DH. A quick descent down Las Virgenes then it was up Pump Hill. I knew for sure I would walk the last part of this ugly climb as I haven't made it the last 4-5 times I've tried. Halfway up I pulled aside to let a couple of riders pass. Got on the rear wheel of the last person and was able to pedal to the top. PR! WTH? I'll take it! A quick regroup then it was pretty much all downhill back to the shop. All I can say is the pace was fast the whole ride. I had a 9.9 mph pace. They are a strong group. Looking forward to the next one.

Edited after reading @Faust29's post. I put the clown wheels on for this ride and they can be as fast as you're willing to push them.
    FB_IMG_1502750855755.jpg 20170813_085907-1944x1458.jpg IMG_20170813_104758_551.jpg

Postal Pat, Luis, Mikie and 12 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    A quick spin on the Bell Trail to the end and back... Trying to see how quick those clown wheels can be.

17 miles and 2400 feet.

IMG_0702 (1).jpg

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    What are you waiting for? Turn that plus-fatty into a SS! :thumbsup:

Mikie, mike, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    I have everything to run the 29er wheels SS, but I want to be able to run both wheel sets. J gave me a tip on who to order the free hub from and I've been in contact with them. Should be a week or two. :thumbsup:

I could order a kit from Problem Solvers to convert the XD driver to a single speed, but the available cogs in 6 bolt are junk. I need to change the free hub to a Shimano, so I can use my good cogs.

Mikie, mike, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Heck yeah, both wheel sets SS all the time. You don't need no stinkin' gears!

And I wanna see J turn that tandem into a SS! :eek:

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, mike and 2 others like this.
  8. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Quick floop lunch... after skyline on sat..floop was tuff to ride ... withoout dying...
    Of boredom...
    Floop
    Still my favorite..

Luis, Mikie, Tom the Bomb and 4 others like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Yeah, not gonna happen. The 180mm fork makes standing and pedaling damn near impossible.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, mike and 3 others like this.
  10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Rode to work n back today like I do most every Monday. Fought the wind most of the way home till I started the final drop to my house & then it turned to a tailwind. Was good for almost 51mph top speed bombing down the fireroad which is something like a -10% grade. Was kind of exiting especially since I was on the hardtail & darn glad I had a dropper. Wife tried to smack me up side the head when I told her.

Screen Shot.jpg

Postal Pat, Luis, rossage and 14 others like this.
  11. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Quick Floop lunch. 2nd day in a row...
    was really tuff to ride...
    without dying ...
    of boredom....
    Still the Floop.. my favorite...
    lets see how long I can keep this up...
    5 days in a row was my record... if only work did not get in the way.. Im sure I can make that 6 days in a row.. Saturdays are for elsewhere...

12. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    I'm committed now..
    better floop tomarrow....

13. Marty657

Marty657 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    12 miles at Marshall, first ride since 27 July and I felt it, 172hr and 118 suffer, did get 2 PR's. Could not have picked better weather, avg temp 66 degrees. Only saw 3 other riders. Great to be back on the bike, hope this continues.

Redman, Luis, Grego and 8 others like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    172 hours for 12 miles????

Oh wait, you mean heart rate. :whistling:

Mikie, mike, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  15. Marty657

Marty657 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Yes heart rate highest for the ride' average was around 140.

Tom the Bomb and mike like this.
  16. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Plan to ride with my bro Colin fell through due to work overload, so I struck out solo under dramatic skies into the Dedisse/Alderfer/Three Sisters network. So many ways to weave… Up/down Dedisse/Hidden Fawn/Three Sisters/Ranch View/Wild Iris/Alderfer/Silver Fox/Ponderosa…plus the Three Brothers Scenic View spur. Then down the rest of Pondo, 3S and Dedisse.

3Sisters_8-15_01.jpg

Would have been cool if that really was the ranch.

3Sisters_8-15_02.jpg

The ranch.

3Sisters_8-15_03.jpg

3Sisters_8-15_04.jpg

I saw a few riders out (incl. Park Patrol, awesome) and the odd hiker. I let a young strong lad by on the last climb and chased him down Dedisse to Bear Creek Road where I peeled off. Shiz, we were flying through trees, rocks and roots, and I never would have caught that guy if not for a rider ahead of him. Some good brotherhood without a word. Perfect save of a failed mission. Magical evening.

Go ride yr bike.

doublewide, Redman, Danimal and 16 others like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Another Tuesday.....another solo Oaks spin.

Cool temps were very welcomed.

Felt pretty good most of the ride. Saw/heard a lady scream in horror out on Deer Trail....when I got down there, nothing but a tarantula. Insiders need to get outside more often.

Good afternoon on the bike.

24 / 3200'

https://www.relive.cc/view/1135876883

Redman, Danimal, Luis and 14 others like this.
  18. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Chantry to Zion. What happened to this place? It is a wreck! Looks like the place has not seen any love in months. The bathrooms are all tagged up . The place looks dirty . The trail to Zion is washed out in many places, trees down , what a bummer. I did have a good time. Love the techy climbing. The descending was choppy at best. Usually this place is very well taken care of. Bummer!

Grego, herzalot, rossage and 8 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Sorry to hear that. I am about due for a Zion loop but maybe I should look elsewhere.

20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Yikes! I'm calling it 51 miles per hour...:eek:

21. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Where's the vid? Actually last week I was thinking of starting a , Love Me A Good Fire Road, vid thread.

Mikie, Voodoo Tom and Maddog like this.
  22. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Your adventure pass dollars at work!

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  23. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yup, I rode today. Twice. Commutes are great!! 34 miles and 300 feet. Strava gave me 400 feet, but only because I forgot to turn off the Garmin when I took the elevator back up to the office to retrieve my forgotten phone. :whistling:

24. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Rode my bike in the high country today with @rossage and Pete. Headed up to Vetter mountain as a warmup to check out the old fire lookout site and to check out the view IMG_2014.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG
    From there we made it over to Chilao and over to the Rosenita saddle to ride Hillyer.
    Ross showing us the line down the spine on the Hillyer descent.

https://quik.gopro.com/v/eGJy3W0N6l/

What it looked like on Relive

https://www.relive.cc/view/1137180687

25. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Beautiful day out there.

26. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Well... We were going to do a Black Star to Motorway loop. :whistling: But, we pulled the plug at the Golf Ball and headed back down. Diverted onto Booby Trap, and gave it a run with the 3.0 inch tires. One of the "chute" sections was really loose, and I couldn't slow down at all. I made it through the ruts, but the back tire had zero braking traction, and acted like a whale tail as I slid down. Steering from the back! :p

On the SART ride the other day, I kept gravitating to one cog in the back. 30x18... Two teeth harder than I normally run. So... I rode Black Star to the golf ball without shifting as an experiment. Cleared everything except the last little bit to the Ball. Made it to the last left hand turn. I guess I'll go with 30x20 when I make the switch. :oops:

Cooler temps than last week... Very nice coming down.

Rockin' the Purple...
    IMG_0713.jpg IMG_0711.jpg

27. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Looks like an awesome route!

SnakeCharmer and Tom the Bomb like this.
  28. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    I have been rocking my plus tires with 32:21. Been doing lots of whiting / luge laps with the new office proximity. They are not fast or easy with that gearing but doable for everything I have tried.

29. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    T-2, Redwoods, Allyn and I Rockin Marshall!

30. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    First headlight lit night ride of the season, first crash of the night ride season. You can hardly see the blood at night
    Happy dark trails