I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    New office is about a 10 minute drive to the luge. Did a quick lap around whiting and the luge. Big tires are wearing me out on the climbs but so much fun heading down.

IMG_0298.JPG

Mikie, doublewide, herzalot and 13 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

No :thumbsdown::stop:

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  3. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    A couple days into my Santa Cruz redwoods RV trip.
    So far I have had a blast riding the UC area trails. Literally some of the best, if not the best trails I have ever ridden. Super high fun factor.

Today we road direct from camp up lakeside drive to catch a 9.6% grade paved road to the "top" of the UC system
    15mi
    2300'
    About 2 hours

This included 2 descents, both of which challenged my limits of bike control in a couple zones. Fallen trees and tree roots make up the majority of the technical features.

After DH run "sweetness" , Instead of ridding down Hwy 9 to reconnect the system, we rode down the train tracks today which was interesting as well.

It's the Disneyland of MTB

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I climbed Verdugo Mtn tonight via La Tuna, which was recently graded. Hung out at the lookout with some local buds and sipped a brew before heading back down at sunset. Blasted down Whiting Woods to get down off the mountain. Thats always a fun descent.

11.34 miles
    1824' of up

IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    More than I did today....

Mikie and SnakeCharmer like this.
  6. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Marshall again. Its fun with the jump line. Shockwiz got my ride dialed!

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Grego and 4 others like this.
  7. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
    B
    Woke up and had time to squeeze in a little ride through Oaks and Irvine Park.

IMG_2908.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

Mikie, doublewide, PATKOUG and 10 others like this.
  8. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Solo at El Moro. Started around 1pm at Coastal Peak Park then down to Rattlesnake. Have not been on Rattlesnake since probably 2003. Really don't get out here that much. Front brake was barely working for some odd reason. I'll have to check with my nemesis to see if he sabotaged it again. Fun chunk towards the bottom. I really don't remember that trail at all. From the bottom, climbed the fire road passed the two campgrounds. Across to Bomber Ridge looking for TNA, or is it T&A? Never been. Found the bermmed singletrack entrance which was cool but missed the rock garden. Next time I guess. Good stuff on the way down kept a smile on my face. Was going to throw in a Stairs out and back but couldn't get across the 133. Non stop train of cars. Up Willow to Fenceline and out. What a great day. I need to get out here more often.

jkBoDJChUdfYpaG3yg6La6tdM-cldMW_95AI-05WOFA-2048x1536.jpg

Marty657, Mikie, doublewide and 14 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I've never been to any of the stuff down that way - Aliso, El Moro, Crystal Cove, LCWP, etc. One o' these days. :rolleyes:

Mikie, bvader, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Tomorrow is "one of these days..." We will be doing a relatively mellow route starting at the top of Ridge Park Drive (Coastal Peaks Park) around 7:30. We won't be alone, as that is a VERY popular launch site for LCWP. Join us.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I would, but the wife wants to ride with me and she can't do that. So, we'll be doing mellow Mtn - Sea trail miles. But I'll get down there. Just don't know when.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    I rode today.....it was supposed to be cooler down by the coast....so that is where we headed.

Myself, my wife, @Faust29 , @H2oChick , Gregg and Jeremy had a social spin from Quail to LCWP and back. It was warm and sticky when we rolled at 7:00. Up along Serrano Ridge to Camarillo, and down. The first right hand turn got me....rolled into it and lost the line. I was good the rest of the way down. Stagecoach South to LCWP parking lot. Willow up to Bommer. Going up Willow it got hot, very hot. My wife was overheating. She tried to bail early.....the group talked her out of it. She got a second wind going down Missing Link/Fenceline, then down Lizard.

We stopped at the bottom of Lizard for a break. This is when an ebiker came by heading up. His drivetrain was skipping like crazy. Let's just say he didn't escape the wrath of our group. We all gave him crap....the rider didn't get any of it.

We continued on up Upper Laurel then under the Toll Road. My wife headed back to Quail via Serrano Ridge, the rest of us dropped down Camarillo again....and again, the missed that damn right hand turn. Very hot climb up Stagecoach to Nix...for some cool water.

Fun time out there today....fun group to ride with.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1107510371

IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    We also found out that Irvine PD is issuing citations to Ebikes on Irvine Trails. They were out there today patrolling. :thumbsup:

14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Rode Greer Ranch for the first time. That place is fun. Only fell off twice, at low speed.

Mikie, Grego, pperrelle and 5 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Yep... I got to ride on Saturday with a really good group: @mtnbikej , Mrs. Mtnbikej, @H2oChick, Greg, and Jeremy. We hit Camarillo twice, Lizards, Willow, Stagecoach, and a little climbing extra credit here and there. :thumbsup: And, because I hadn't put the good wheels back on the Highball, I took the old GT spare parts bike. On Black Star the other night, the bike felt completely alien. I know 120mm front and back is "short travel" to most of you guys, but it seems like a DH bike after having 120/0 for so many thousands of miles. After a couple ascents and descents, it felt better. But, it's probably going to get hung on the wall for another couple years. If Santa Cruz ever manages to catch up on their orders :mad:, the Highball may have a brother. :D

The comedy highlight of the day was the knucklehead on the Haibike. While the group was taking a breather in the shade 50 yards below the Lizards exit, said Knucklehead came around the corner, hit the little incline, almost came to a stop, and then decided to attempt to shift, while mashing on the pedals. Crunching, grinding, a few wobbles, a complete stop, an examination of the drive train, a confused attempt to enter the hiker only trail, and much ribbing from us. I don't feel bad about the ribbing... But I am starting to feel bad about the lack of education for these guys, and more than a little anger at the bike shops pushing these things. Thankfully, the City of Irvine was out and about for a little enforcement yesterday in the form of warnings and citations. :thumbsup:

Great day near the coast... Couldn't ask for a better group and conditions.

16. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    From earlier at The Hub. Still riding though...

IMG_1762.JPG

17. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Cool! You hooked up with @Luis. I wanted to head over there but would have been about 30 minutes late. Hope you had a great ride.

Cornholio, Mikie and Luis like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Had a decent ride from home. Some steep fire road climbs and a couple of my favorite chunky descents. Early start was key. Nice marine layer most of the time. Ran into the Mrs towards the end of my ride. She made me chase her on one stretch on the way home. Sometimes I think she's just sandbagging. :D What a wonderful day. 20170730_065525-2268x3024.jpg 20170730_100634-1612x1209.jpg IMG_20170730_110048_769.jpg

19. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Did what I threatened to do - LCWP at 7:30 am with Todd and @Cougar. @Danimal had other things on his docket today.

Nice day out there. I did something I don't think I've ever done before - cleaned all of Camarillo and Stagecoach - all tricky turns, all tricky climbs. I've cleaned Camarillo before (maybe twice) and I've made the two challenging climbs on Stagecoach (including the one that used to be fenced off) but I've never cleaned all of those in the same run. Yay me!

Got to the top of El Mo/LCWP and Todd was wondering what the knocking/creaking sound was coming from his drivetrain on his fairly new Pivot Switchblade. After futzing around a bit, he found the culprit - loose cranks! They were close to coming off. :eek: Good thing I carry the right size allen key. Snugged it up and kept going.

Todd has a big day tomorrow, so he skedaddled before the Rattlesnake - Mach 1 - I Think I Can loop. R-Snake is always fun. We also saw some real rattlers on ITIC.

Nice temps - about 75° high, although it felt a lot warmer at times. Good times. 17.6 mi, 2800' and 3743 smiles.

Bikes are fine - especially ones that are running silently! :thumbsup:

20. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    @herzalot jinxed me today! Said I should lead down Camarillo since I always clean it. Apparently I haven't ridden camarillo this calendar year (wtf.. ?) and the corners have been altered significantly in that time. I didn't clean either of the two tricky corners trying to take my old lines that have been man handled. Oh well :)

Given how little (comparatively) I've been on my bike this year, I did okay out there. I felt good on Rattlesnake and cleaned that. But man I Think I Can in the sun (when I've got sunburn from yesterday) was just taxing. When the breeze came through, it was very nice... but when it wasn't. Oy. I ran out of legs getting back up to Fenceline/Missing Link.

Nice to ride with Todd again, and it's always a pleasure getting out there with Chris!

21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Rode with Luis, Jose, Carson, David, and finally with the big boss at OTB, Hans. The humidity was insane, we were all sweating buckets. We had a great ride but most of the way through I felt some saddle soar action setting in so I opted to bow out of a double back the other guys did to hit some ST in Sullivan Canyon. I just climbed out and waited for them at Nike. Hans had to cut out of the ride when we reached the top of the creek bed in Sullivan Canyon, too. I'd never dropped down J-drop or Squirrel Cage so those were new for me. After lunch, we hit Starbucks for a caffeine fix and somehow, we all became "David" from that point on. So at the end all of us Davids bid our farewells and headed for home. Great ride, great group of fellas!

I got a lower stats since I bowed out of part of the ride:

20.46 miles
    3287' elevation gain
    1580 calories

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

22. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Nice... That ruin is very close to where @mtnbikej and I veered off the beaten path, and ended up climbing with our bikes on our shoulders. Just because you can create a route in Strava, doesn't mean it's doable in real life. :D

Cornholio, Mikie, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  23. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Fun times this morning riding the Santa Monicas. Six riders rolling early at 6:30am and we hit some of my favorite sections, Backbone/Rogers Rd, J-Drop, Sullivan Canyon (The ST fun portions), and descending Hectic at the end :thumbsup:

This is what it looked like:

Relive your ride

25 miles and over 4K elevation

24. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I have a Relive account as well. After the ride, I added the app to my phone so that I too can start adding pics during the ride. :thumbsup:

25. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Rode yesterday, the penasquitos tunnels in San Diego. Very cool trails with tree covered "tunnels. Lots of ducking and weaving. Wide handlebars could make it difficult and gotta keep your head down!
    Rode with other riders I met on the trail.
    Route and pics on link

https://www.relive.cc/view/1107364628

26. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Makes my day hearing about all those Camarillo turns..some clean ...some not.

Me I *finally* got out today for a LCWP spin.. life / work has been a bit over the top. So glad I got out, super nice coastal breeze, I got out a bit late at 11 still really nice.

Rode with the new BikeYoke Revive dropper..all smiles.

Lizards, PCT / down to Dartmoor, Old Emerald.. but no Camarillo for me ... Guess I should have

14 n 2300

Seemed like plenty today ...

Cornholio, Grego, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  27. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Sidewalk, I and a bunch of good friends did a mixed terrain ride today in the Angelus Oaks area. 37ish miles 4600' ish of climb. Beautiful weather great group. Memorable experience happened on the way down Leven. Josh (sidewalk) pinches his rear on his CX bike 2nd of the day. I catch up to him walking his ride. Offer my tube up. He flips his bike over starts the job and about 5 minutes in the front tire makes a noise and goes flat, make that 3 flats. Immaculate pinch flat! Good chuckle was had. Luckily I had another tube wrong size but we made it work. Good times.

28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Yep, I rode today. San Diego Creek Trail, Freeway Trail, and Peters Canyon (not in the canyon) Trail with the wife for 29.5 miles and 627 feet of up. :cool::thumbsup:

Grego, mtnbikej, pperrelle and 6 others like this.
  29. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kay
    Well done @herzalot on Camarillo with the switchbacks. I have made them twice but with re-dos and felt a sense of accomplishment. Now I believe the first two are demoralizers and can't seem to get them (damn that dirt on the pavers).
    Yes, we did Camarillo twice and for me the outcome was better the 2nd time but still did not even attempt the first two.
    What they said above, temps were supposed to be cool and they were until 30 minutes in. After 30 we all had the same "sheen."
    Fun group and enjoyed the camraderie - nothing is sacred.
    A few photos:
    Da IMTB Boys - Greg, Steve and Jason
    IMG_0571.JPG

Serious Suzanne:

Serious Suz.jpg

Not so serious Suzanne
    IMG_0582.JPG

30. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Snow Summit with Vince. I think this is our 5th time this season. I really was not excited to go but if it means getting the teenager away from youtube for a day then it is worth it. Met up with one of his teenage friends so two teenagers and an old guy was our group. First run I took the P-line around 650b but warmed up a little towards the bottom. Bike felt harsh, I felt old. 2nd run said f-it, hit 650b and flew across perfectly. Continued to clear it easily throughout the runs. That made my day. Miracle Whip was my nemesis though. I kept sliding around the blind corner leading in. Had to brake check which scrubbed my speed and cased it. The trails are getting loose throughout imo. Felt better and better each run. Ok I'm excited I went now. Found Mike aka mtbcrazy and later Patrick aka Redwoods having a good time. Ended up with 11 runs. Vince got 14. No crashes. Not crowded. Some video but haven't looked at it yet. Someday I'll get a real DH bike.

6pnnW41xKtWOCHP1obRpHiUNq7x7LC2mxBnyemG0enI-2048x1536.jpg