I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    Solid ride this morning. 15/2400 Solo. Bunch of PRs. Bikes are fun! :thumbsup:

mike, Grego, Danimal and 5 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I rode... Met an e-biker at the top of the water tower climb in O'Neill. Then climbed up to Vista, and chatted with a couple riders from Ladera. One was on an old Cannondale with the headshock. He said that bike just wouldn't die... :thumbsup:

Afterwards, I dropped down Monastery and decided to check out Hal's Place. I haven't been out to Hal's since October, when I discovered that the bulldozers had destroyed the trail getting to the ruins. The nice single track was turned into a sandpit that I had a hard time pedaling down. :thumbsdown: I'm happy to say that the trail is pretty much returned to single track, and the dozers would have a hard time getting back up there after the rains washed away the trail in a few spots, leaving it pretty narrow. :thumbsup: While I was playing around at the ruins, a fat bike came up the single track and down the abandoned road into Trabuco Canyon... :thumbsup:

Hal's Place... No spelling bee winners here...
    IMG_0520.jpg

Hal had a nice view...
    IMG_0523.jpg

After dropping down the Trabuco DH, I jumped back into O'Neill and ran into the rangers working at a fallen oak. They cut a ride around, and informed me that I was the first to put wheels on it. :thumbsup:

13 miles and almost 1400 feet...

3. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    How do you measure your PR's, Garmin??? I know you don't use strava.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

anemometer-3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

5. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    That's not Herz. The red would clash with his bike. :stop:

6. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well, since I've probably never ridden 5-Oaks, Cholla, Rock-It without stopping anywhere along the way until today, I am certain it was a PR. About 40 mins. for that portion. I finished the entire ride (adding Coyote, Mathis, Meadows, Coyote again) for a total of 2:10 mins, with very few pauses (one Clif bar break, one nature break and 1 quick elbow pad deployment) - so I know the entire ride was a PR. As for my DH segments, all three were solid - though probably not PRs. Same with the climbs.

I only use the Runtastic app for data. It gives me what I want - vertical ft. climbed and total miles. Fortunately, the free version does not give me comparative times with myself or anyone else. :thumbsup: I would obsess over that data. :confused:

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I know what you mean. I use Garmin Connect, too. I have to manually switch the elevation correction for "enabled" to "disabled" in order to get a somewhat accurate elevation gain reading. The elevation gain reading for our ride yesterday from my unit was 5358' before I manually switched it over on the webpage. I wish there was some way to set it at "disabled" permanently! :mad:

Faust29 likes this.
  8. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    I drove up to join @Cisco Roots, @Luis, @Fueledbyex8, @burt, @Ricardo, plus a handful of cool and competent OTB riders on Cisco's farewell run around Strawberry Peak.

A great time was had by all. The route and trail were spectacular and very fun riding. Thanks to all for making it a great morning, including an in-person introduction to steward legends @Mikie Robin Mcguire! Great to meet you two!

More San Gabes, please :inlove::inlove:

TIA for staking out the forward recon base, @Cisco Roots :sneaky::thumbsup: Happy trails, bro :)

9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I raced today. I lost.

That covers all future posts regarding my racing, since the results will always stay the same.

James was on the podium.

code3, Fueledbyex8, mike and 8 others like this.
  10. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    July 2 The Noble Canyon Tour with T-2. July 3rd Mission Trails With Son in Law Sean, July 6th The Cold Springs Tour with Hillbilly! Damn that was fun!

11. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    July 8th, North Yuba trail by myself.
    July 9th, Sunrise-Butcher Ranch, 3rd Divide, 1st Divide trails with....myself.
    Damn that was fun!

2017-07-09 20.52.52.jpg

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Got out for a chase this afternoon with my wife. We were supposed to get up early again this morning for another dawn patrol ride. However, I decided I hadn't slept in past 5am in more than 3 weeks.....so we slept in.

At 5:30 this afternoon it had cooled down enough to head out for an easy spin. Me on the SS, my wife on the CX bike....now you know how this was gonna go. So I spent the next 2 hours chasing her....when the trail wasn't really rocky and technical. She rides that thing like a mtn bike.

Anyway, we headed through the Oaks, then over to Peters Canyon before doing a loop around the hills in Cowan Heights, then returning via Peters Canyon and back through Oaks. Saw a king snake and a rattler in Peters about 1 minute apart. Temps cooled down, but it was still kinda sticky out there.

13. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    As planned, went to Snow Summit yesterday. First 3 runs were Party Wave to Miracle to Turtle. Good runs hitting the 650b, Zzyzx and Miracle Whip. Then Vincent wanted to get a video of a full Miracle Mile run which is actually 2 miles. He had a great run until that last paver jump. A rider in front of him hit the jump and crashed. As he was crashing, Vincent was already in the air off the jump and had no where to go but to land into the crashed rider. That ended Vincent's day. He's a little banged up but nothing serious. At that time anyway the rain/T-storm started. They closed the lifts as they usually do in this case. So 4 runs for us. We'll be back.
    BDHTdzINLFnprTzGnT1wRh3GqZNYzMQPXux-m67icUE-2048x1536.jpg

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Glad to hear the Trail Slayer came through okay. :thumbsup:

15. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Family plans took up most of today. After getting home I intended to go ride B* but didn't feel like driving. Decided on the Floop instead with a twist. BMX style! 2 miles in the rear wheel moved making the tire rub the frame hard. I forgot to pack a wrench so I did the 2 mile walk of shame. Back at the truck I got it fixed. Sun going down soon, no lights, must hurry if I want to do the whole Floop. Riding again no problems. At 46 gear inches it climbed well. One thing though, those dia comp brakes don't do a thing when you weigh 200 lbs. I had to put my foot on the tire to slow down on the hills. Was like a run away train. Different and still fun. I would do this again. 14/1100.
    mjFbv4qxURo7TANNhZYOAAw2h-MpLO2X67YSARByqWk-2048x1536.jpg

kioti, doublewide, tortoise and 11 others like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I hope both Vincent and the rider who crashed ahead of him are OK! Great photo BTW. :thumbsup:

SnakeCharmer, Grego and Fueledbyex8 like this.
  17. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    yesterday... spun through santiago oaks. nothing special, except for the humidity. 15 miles and 2900'. just cruising around, looking for different lines. didnt even try to push it.
    one notable thing though... it's a good thing there are bathrooms at the main park entrance. there is no way i would have made it back to my truck without having to jump in the bushes.

Danimal, SnakeCharmer, UPSed and 8 others like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Another bonus.....the water in the sink in the restrooms are usually cold/cool compared to the water in the fountains outside. :thumbsup:

19. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 27.5
    @mike so stoked that you could make it out! You fit right in w the OTB bunch and cleaned the waterfall like a champ!!

IMG_5754.JPG

20. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    It doesn't sound like you needed a partner :geek::thumbsup:

SnakeCharmer, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    If you ride that, I might keep up with you going down Motorway... :thumbsup:

22. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Thanks Herz. Looks like the rider in front got separated from his bike and went into a tree. Vincent hit his bike and went OTB. By the time I rolled up (several minutes later:rolleyes:) they had both gotten up and cleared the path. The other guy said he was OK. Vince has a sore shoulder.:( Video uploading... ... ... ... ... ...:confused:
    I don't know, the Hutch has no brakes.:eek:

23. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Some Flagstaff goodness in between the thunderstorms with some good people.IMG_20170711_135653_427.jpg IMG_20170711_135653_428.jpg IMG_20170711_135653_430.jpg IMG_20170711_135653_432.jpg IMG_20170711_150601_828.jpg

24. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    I rode up Live Oak... And down Vista. It was hot. Bikes are fun.

A whopping 10 miles and 1000 feet.

25. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Do I see Shitty and a blonde Rox?

26. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I did a reprise of Sunday's ride, with a plan to do even fewer pauses. Then I ran into Mo at the top of Meadows and had a chat. I ended up 1 min. 5 seconds slower than Sunday. Dammit. Next time I need to take some shortcuts - like EPO. 15 miles 2400'.

By the way, never wash your bike. I washed mine last Friday using some Spin Doctor bike wash. Now my bike is creaking horribly. Sounds like it's coming from the derailleur, but who knows. After Sunday's noisy ride, I unmounted the derailleur and re-greased the interface, added some fresh lock-tite to the threads and re-installed it. Nope. No help.

I HATE a noisy bike. Embarrassing and annoying.

27. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Maybe.....:whistling:

28. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Tell Blondie and "Her Mann" hi for me!
    (See what I did there?)

Looks like a lot of fun. I need some mt. riding!!!!

doublewide, UPSed and SnakeCharmer like this.
  29. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    RR needed UPSED!!

SnakeCharmer and UPSed like this.
  30. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker