I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    TECRIL again. Scott's choice. Added Mathis-Meadows. Still overgrown and hard to see. Still fun. 14.8 mi 1870' 1532 smiles. GREAT weather. Bikes are fun! :thumbsup: :) :cool:

I love my riding buddies, but I need to ride with guys who like to ride the tougher trails, but aren't beasts like @StrandLeper who ride all trails at killer pace and do six Aliso climbs and four LCWP climbs per session, dropping people like me who can't/won't keep up. :(

My new preferred loop would be 5-Oaks, Cholla, Stairs, Willow, T and A, upStairs, Car Wreck. Call it the 5STAC loop. OakSTAC?

2. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    @herzalot I will have to try the 5Stac.
    Thought I saw you on Camarillo today ... Tall Lots of green.

I rode a pretty normal LCWP Lizards Camarillo stage coach out n back etc. 13mi 2K

Did not have mojo today,

On descent to nix, on a right hander with an off camber water bar lost traction slide out.. went down...nothing major but apparently my rear derailleur did a major dig.

Successful field repaired. Rode back.

Funny spent some time in the AM doing maintenance..Bleed Reverb new brake pads...tidy up etc. Then go out and break it!

IMG_20170610_144531.jpg

3. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    IMG_20170610_181541.jpg
    Hi my name is Jaime and today I rode the Floop before work, cool temps and cloudy part of the ride thanks.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I rode my Patented Super FLoop today. 21 miles, 2,050 feet, 2 hrs 15 min. It's Patented because apparently no one else has done that exact route. I'm a KOM!!!!!

5. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Santiago Oaks today, super fun. Quick loop of Chutes up, Cactus down, Bumble Bee up, Grasshopper down, Oak up, Bumble Bee down, Coachwhip up (i love that climb), Barham Ridge and Chutes down. Unless you do Weir, or keep looping around, not that easy to add mileage, but who cares, it was super fun!

6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    DISCLAIMER: Herz is gonna be pissed about this because I am gonna attach some pics to my RR here... :rolleyes:

FINALLY got back on the bike today after 10 some-odd days off it. UGGG, I hate the sound of that!. :mad:

I am feeling a little better today but I had no idea how it was going to effect my riding ability so I went out ready to tackle whatever I could. Cherry Canyon from mi barrio was destination #1. I planned to go over the top of that mountain and drop down into GSC to ride the ST and then continue on over to and up Verdugo Mountain but I think I was a little too confident about that. It was cool out with no sun until I reached Cherry. Words simply cannot convey how much direct sunlight instantly sucks the life out of me but it always has and I felt it again today whenever the sun broke through. Luckily, it was clouded over more often than not. Anyway, under the clouds, I rode like a champ. Power and energy to spare. I rode my 31 pound gorilla well. I thought it would bog me down, but no. I guess that means that I was just dying to ride. :whistling:

So, climbed to the top of Cherry, dropped in on all 6 short sections of ST, climbed back up to the top, dropped down the back side of the range and into GSC, did two laps and then decided I was fairly spent so I pedaled to the nearest Starbucks and sucked on an Iced Vanilla Latte. :cool:

Saw a few riders out. Dog crap all over the place on the trails. A few hikers about too. My recent brush clearing job at GSC made for some nice rolling throw the twisty turns (pats self on the back). Wildflowers still going strong on that range. :thumbsup:

16.34 miles
    2:01:14 ride time
    2349' elevation gain
    1226 calories

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

7. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Yesterday Jennifer and I did a local ride from home. The usual pavement, fire road with a little singletrack thrown in. Overcast and cool temps made for a great ride. IMG_20170611_162402_437.jpg
    Today I joined the JRA gravel ride. I wanted to put some XC miles on the 29" wheelset. There were 5 of us. Four on gravel bikes and me on the MTB. The pace was fast and I was able to hang on everything except the flat out road sections where I ran out of gearing. Of course it was no contest in the dirt especially the DH. The bike was still very playful with the bigger hoops but I think I prefer the plus wheels for the majority of my riding. Even cooler temps and a little rain made for an enjoyable day.
    Check out “JRA Gravel Ride ” on Relive! https://www.relive.cc/view/1031978752
    IMG_20170611_103626_491.jpg

8. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue"...

Well actually I guess I picked the wrong day to ride Whiting - Luge..Today!, who knew how and wet and cold it would be but the mud / guck was worse. I have done many wet Lug runs, but I guess because it has been dry that top layer of dust turned into slick lovely milk chocolate frosting it was one of the hardest climbs I can remember to the flag, tire gummed up, sliding around etc. Wet as all; get out, like ring out the gloves wet, I was in the clouds AND it was raining, and there was enough stickiness to the mud my bike was fling mud and rocks all over. (I am sitting at home writing this on a sunny HB Sunday afternoon). Ohh and don't worry your pretty little heads, it was rock solid under that 1/4 inch so I did not leave any mud track / damage, it was just that nasty little top layer.

At the high point above the descent to Luge I was looking at the guck and just happen to notice some on the stantion on the inside near the arch, it was actually a sharp rock wedge it there, I picked out, glad I saw it before the descent.

Then on the luge which I think would have been fun (although the rocks on top were slick) I had to choose between wearing glasses to protect against mud, rocks and vegetation or seeing. I chose seeing took off the glasses I figure I would prefer to actually be able to see. Had some fun, kept the flat out speed in check, get smacked in the face Veg (but much better than you) and picking crap out of my eyes as needed.

The trip down live OAK was fine as I came down out of the clouds, trip back through whiting was fine other than the looks I was getting because I looked like a muddy drowned rat.

Oh that second picture is a rocked "wedge" into the lower susp, I had to let out the air to get it out, and most of that that looks like scratches was just mud trail, they just wiped off. Amazing what modern MTBs can take.

Yeah took a while to clean up, but it it was beautiful in HB.

Oh in case it didn't come through... I had a blast! bikes are fun, I needed a bit of adventure, even if it wasn't really what I was looking for.

IMG_20170611_122224.jpg

IMG_20170611_144114.jpg

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    ^^^Oh My...^^^ @bvader ! :eek:

I rode "my" bike as well. On Saturday that is. Along with a couple other hooligans as well. @Voodoo Tom and @evdog! No way! Yup! It's true...

The Dawgster was interested in getting some Cherry Creek Action in, so Voodoo and I obliged him. Evan promised to write one of his classic Ride Reports with pics, but that won't happen until sometime later this week. I hope evdog felt it was worth the drive up from San Diego! It was awesome to have him in our zip code!

cherry.creek.vt.evdog.PNG

10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Hey I just rode up the fire road to the big gate and turned around...remember??? That's my story and I'm sticking to it...:speechless:

11. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Strava says otherwise. :p20170611_184207.png

12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Oh yeah.... That's right. You posted your STRAVA just like I did you dingbat! Oh wait...:unsure::whistling:

13. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I rode a little. It was ok. :p

IMG_0198.JPG IMG_0223.JPG

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Sorry you had to put up with such crappy conditions and scenery. :cool::thumbsup:

kioti, StrandLeper, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  15. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Oh my, it's nowhere near that green around here:thumbsup:

16. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    Got out for my never fail me typical loop Santiago Oaks & Weir Canyon. Up chutes, down cactus, up coachwhip, down deer and over to weir canyon counterclockwise. Dropped my new favorite single track over and up deer weed. Did that loop twice then headed back over to the oaks. Down coachwhip, up bumblebee, down hawk and up mountain goat. Finally down chutes ridge line and out the park
    Conditions were superb at the oaks, misting on me most of the time. By the time I got back to weir canyon it was raining on me. Rained just enough to get everything good and wet. They have recently graded a large majority of the trail so it's a little loose. Add just enough rain to that and the dirt was clumping up real good. My bike was hammered and I was drenched. Dried up by the time I got back over to the oaks. IMG_3550.JPGIMG_3554.JPG

IMG_3558.PNG

17. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Big one Mikie!

18. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Rode my bike today at Golden Eagle. Got to see some blue skies at the beginning of the ride until we reached the top of the fireroad climb, then some clouds rolled in for the remainder of the ride. In all it was a perfect day to ride up there, temps in the low to mid 50's but I know it got a little chillier because we got caught in a really brief hailstorm while heading back.
    The entire upper section of single track has been cleared of downed trees. All the trees we encountered a few weeks back are gone. Someone was busy up the with a chainsaw.
    Thanks @silvia , @Jose m Cepeda and Oliver for coming out for a great ride.

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 10.03.43 PM.png

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    I hope you brought a spare BB with you. :whistling:

20. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Thought I saw your truck at Casa Lupitas yesterday:thumbsup:

21. StrandLeper

StrandLeper MTB Addict

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Ha ha ha @herzalot - I am quite a bit less quick on the climbs on the Enduro - but I don't recall ever dropping you on anything.

I was just thinking the same thing. I did a Mentally - Five Oaks - Stairs - TnA quickie yesterday afternoon. (20 / 3000) I wanted to do Car Wreck and Art School and another off-menu trail, but Stairs is my max "solo ride difficulty level" drop. The top of stairs is really rutted, we need to throw some dirt around up there.

(Five Oaks was in GOOD shape)

We need to ride. Summer is coming and maybe I can get out after work one of these days.

22. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Worth it! :D

And the extra 20mm up front was great. :thumbsup:

23. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Drug myself away from the desk for 1:15. After 3 days of heavy meals, wine, martinis and spa treatments it was an interesting pedal session.
    11 mile, 1,100ft

24. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Was it a good ride? Signs point to yes...

IMG_1949.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

25. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    See that's the difference. Your "quickie" is my once a month epic chunkfest!

26. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Not as epic as yesterday, but I did explore the paved paths and hobo-made dirt trails along the river. With the water level so high, my hobo made trails disappeared under water in spots... :thumbsup:

Next trip... white water rafting!

IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0254.JPG IMG_0262.JPG

27. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
  28. StrandLeper

StrandLeper MTB Addict

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    How about this: mentally, Cholla, car wreck, 5 oaks, cholla, stairs (or dog park), Art School (or TnA). That would qualify as a once a month chunk fest and I would be down for it!

Cyclotourist, herzalot, mike and 6 others like this.
  29. no worries

no worries Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Rode Weir yesterday. As Redman noted, it's been 'sanitized' some. Nothing severe, I suppose, but most of the loop has been lightly graded and in cases significantly widened. I think the heavy drizzle of the past week helped; it's loose, but it's on its way to getting packed down. We will see what the upcoming heat does. Be ready for soft corners!

BeckTrex, mike, Cornholio and 3 others like this.
  30. Dismay

Dismay Member

Name:
    Michael
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Trigger 29
    Did a quick 5 Oaks - Mathis - Car Wreck loop on Saturday. First time on Car Wreck in ~15 years (when I walked most of it), since I'm just starting to get more comfortable with steeper techy stuff. Managed to ride it all, but not clean, and nearly s***t myself on the big rock drop. How does Stairsteps compare to these two?