I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I have recorded everything I have ridden so many times that it's hardly even worth the effort anymore. IMO, videos do not do any rides the justice they deserve. But, thanks.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    This one was taped with gorilla tape.

If you know details on the group buy PM me cause I'm always shopping.

Mikie and littlewave like this.
  3. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Started our together then split up into A group and B group.

IMG_0675.JPG

Sedona day two. We all rode Mescal trail together and hung out for a bit. Then the A group, we rode back to our base camp in Oak Creek. We got to ride a new (to) us trail called ledge-n-airy which has a lot of rocky ledges and some exposure. Tough day today but fun overall.

4. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Group buy?!

Mikie and SnakeCharmer like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Barracks-style house of ill repute. :whistling:

mike, Mikie and SnakeCharmer like this.
  6. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    With no takers for my evening Aliso ride, I set out by myself. It was a pretty run of the mill ride but it was good to get out for the first time this week. I followed the same route from last Thursday ... 5 Oaks, up Cholla, down Rock-it, up Mathis, down Car Wreck, and had time to add a Cholla/Lynx loop to the end on the way out. My bike handling felt a little off on the second half of 5 Oaks, just sloppy and not precise. I started to rethink heading over to Car Wreck if I was having an off day. Then I had an e-fat-bike monstrosity pass me like I was standing still going up Cholla. I could hear the buzzing and whirring coming up the trail behind me ... he was nice enough when he passed. I couldn't help myself and asked if he knew it wasn't allowed there and he said he didn't know ... then he paused, and said "Really?" ... "yep, nothing with a motor". Later there was a ranger heading down the ridge fire road right towards him. Hopefully the ranger let him know, too. Climbing the rest of the way up Cholla, I had time to think about why it annoyed me so much and realized that when I get passed by another rider (or even a trail runner:whistling:), I generally get inspired by how strong and fast they are and want to put more work in myself. When I get passed by an e-biker, I just get annoyed thinking about someone too lazy to put the effort in to climb on their own. (yes I know 1 or 2 of them might have a disability that would prevent them from getting out there otherwise)

Anyway ... I had a good run down Car Wreck, with no OTB this time ... I had to redeem myself. I stopped to look at line choice and session the drop into the final rock garden. I cleaned it before and after that point, so hopefully next time I'll connect it and clean it completely from beginning to end.:)

StrandLeper, mike, bvader and 12 others like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
  8. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Hey You suckers, I rode the floop today! But I forgot to turn on my strava....
    Never mind.. I'm the sucker bc if not on strava, did not happen...

doublewide, mike, Fueledbyex8 and 7 others like this.
  9. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Climbing the rest of the way up Cholla, I had time to think about why it annoyed me so much and realized that when I get passed by another rider (or even a trail runner:whistling:), I generally get inspired by how strong and fast they are and want to put more work in myself. When I get passed by an e-biker, I just get annoyed thinking about someone too lazy to put the effort in to climb on their own. (yes I know 1 or 2 of them might have a disability that would prevent them from getting out there otherwise)
    well said...
    Yup.. its getting a lot more common now.. even on the floop... fast uphill and gingerly down hill....

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Thursday Blackstar social with my wife and a friend. Just took our time. Temps were really nice out there. A few bugs just to remind you they are out there.

Maxed my HR out at 142....that is unheard of these days.

Good times

Postal Pat, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I touched dirt on my ride today, so it counts. With Rwanda next weekend, and me not getting miles and elevation in, I needed to get out there and see if I could do this. Started at GMR/Sierra Madre and went up. Temp was 59 at the start. Once I got above about 3,500 feet the gnats were insane. (Yeah, I know that if I move faster I can leave them in the dust. :whistling:)

I started about 7:30 am, and it was already getting toasty before the drop into the village at about 10:00. It was in the mid-80s in Mt Baldy Village; high 80s in the switchbacks above it; 97 on the way back down. There was a good breeze blowing - probably 10-12 mph. In my face, of course. Hot and dry. :gag: And steep in the switchbacks.

20170421_105621.jpg

49 miles
    6,300 feet of gain.
    Many smiles.

Still a damn good day on the bike!!

upload_2017-4-21_14-55-7.png

12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Yup!
    I rode my bike today! Me and Mrs. imtbtrails rode the fire road on Frazier Mountain. Started at the Chuchupate Ranger station and climbed up to turn off to the radar towers. It's a 6 mile climb but I went back a couple of times to ride up with Cathy.
    So ended up with 7 miles of climbing 2160 of climb, 13 miles all up.

It's also the first time I got to ride the new 1x11 drive train with my new Grip Shift config... loved it! Like riding with an old friend, never even thought about paddle shifters.

For being off the bike for 5 weeks, the legs, lungs, and heart felt pretty good.
    Only time the wrist really hurt was reaching for the water bottle.

Going to play it smart and ease in to this but stoked to get out there.

13. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Yeah, Mikie! Welcome back... The dirt has missed you. When you're all better, we need one of those large group rides that we all think will end badly, but is usually a lot of fun. :D

mike, Mikie, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  14. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Oh dang that's a real bummer to read. Heal up well, best wishes. I really despise riding pavement. Thanks for reminding me how much a hate pavement.

15. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I rode today... Most of the Rwanda 25 backwards, minus the climbs. I have to save the legs for tomorrow. :whistling: The water crossings are all rideable... Rocky, but rideable. :thumbsup: The good news is that we finish with the Arroyo Trail. There would be a lot of crunchy drive trains if we started with that one. As it is, be prepared to spend some time cleaning the bike after that one. :thumbsup:

Down Arroyo Trabuco, up WaterWorks, back to RSM on the Tijeras Creek Trail... 16 miles and 1000 feet.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

:gag:

mike, kioti, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Isn't there a zero missing in that elevation gain reading?

mike, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Those are numbers I can relate to!

I actually rode today too. 3 ups, 3 downs in alternating fashion. 12 miles. 2000' A few bunnies, lots of lizards. No snakes. No cougars of any variety. Sunny and tolerable. Moderate amount of others out there for a Friday morning.

Bikes are way fun! Bikes that are functioning flawlessly are even way more funner!

19. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Day three in Sedona. Rode up slim shady to Hi Line to templeton to HT to little horse to llama to bell rock... phew...
    That's the thing about Sedona, you have to piece together a bunch of trails to make it an epic. The mileage was moderate and the elevation gain is not really impressive but the riding out here is a whole different ball game.
    Here's today's stats
    IMG_0745.PNG IMG_0746.PNG
    And a couple of action shots on HiLineIMG_0737.JPG IMG_0738.JPG
    Riding down a slick rock chute that does not look as steep in the pictures as it is in real life. There's a couple of high pucker factor sections on this double black diamond trail.

20. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @Luis Let me be the first to say "Fu** You!" And I mean that in the kindest possible way, based entirely in jealousy, and fueled by alcohol.

I really, really, really, really and really need to ride there!

mike, bvader, kioti and 8 others like this.
  21. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Indeed you do need to come ride here, and if you give me advanced notice I'll join ya F*cker :p

22. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Well Tom just remember there are no (that I know of LBS) that deal with Yeti anymore, because on there web site were selling bikes for less than the shops, and brick and mortor dealers got pretty hot over it at least our LBS.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Can someone translate this for me please?

mtnbikej, UPSed and Mikie like this.
  24. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    I'll try... VT wants a Yeti sb4.5 and h^b is wishing him good luck and letting him know that he's gonna have to pay to play. Sorta like bitchin bikes and good luck finding one.

25. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    This has happened a few times. Ticks me off. They ebikes zip past me on the uphill, and then ride oh slow gingerly downhill. I'm always thinking WTF, I worked to earn this, move the F over!!!

26. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Right, just saying Lancaster Bicycle Johns closed there doors, Burbank and Santa Clarita BJ's dumped all Yeti products. They will probably still work on them though if you need it, you work on your own bikes though don't you?

Mikie, Voodoo Tom and DangerDirtyD like this.
  27. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Got Yeti?

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pages/yeti-cycles

Nothing but stellar reviews and they're only 15 minutes from me.

Mikie, Voodoo Tom and Luis like this.
  28. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I hear ya DDD let me know when it works out my friend.

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  29. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
  30. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Started a bit earlier to beat the warmer temps later. Up Ridge Park, down Lizards, under 73, Camarillo, Stagecoach South, up Willow, Fenceline, down Vista Ridge road. Fairly routine route by now, love it though. Still cant clean Camarillo, perhaps one day!

IMG_1523.JPG