I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier
    Never seen so many people at Blackstar. Rode up to Hagador (or Pleasant's (I'm confused)
    Had a beer by the towers watching a guy remove a microwave dish.
    Tried two singletracks on the way down for the first time ever. Went OTB at one point.
    Saw what looked like two different helo rescues at Blackstar falls. Three helos on the first one. One was WAAAY down in the canyon by the falls.
    Second one was when I was done back at Xmas tree lot. OC Fire had about 10 different vehicles roll on it.

20170225_125557.jpg

20170225_104819.jpg

2. kingaucho

kingaucho Active Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    I started around 9:30, so you guys were way ahead of me. Hope you had a good one!

3. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt B
    With no takers for for my Harding/Joplin loop, I started a little later than planned and tried to pace myself to be able to enjoy the loooong downhill at the end. This was my second time up Harding, but last time we parked at the wildlife sanctuary and this time I decided to park at Cook's and make it a loop. The pavement ended up being a nice warm-up and a good way to start Harding. After climbing Maple Springs a few times lately, Harding seemed like it went on FOREVER :eek:. I don't know why it seemed so much tougher than Maple, but I tried to keep a mellow pace and I got to 4 corners eventually. When I got home, I saw that I was actually 10 minutes faster than last year:).

Looking back down towards the start of Harding
    IMG_6816-1.JPG

Looking up towards 4 corners and Modjeska Peak ... you think you're almost there, but you're not
    IMG_6817-1.JPG

IMG_6818-1.JPG

Looking back at Harding from 4 corners
    IMG_6819-1.JPG

After a brief rest at 4 corners, I kept it moving up to Santiago Peak. The chunky rocks from 4 corners to the Modjeska towers sucked, as usual. And I think the climb up to Santiago Peak was easier in the snow last month. The snow had been a nice smooth surface and I didn't realize how rocky some of those sections are. It was definitely taking its toll on my legs.

I finally reached the peak and stopped to rest, eat, and stretch a little before the downhill fun!
    IMG_6821-1.JPG

I had a fun run down Upper Joplin, and just kept going straight into Joplin. I've only ridden Joplin once before, about a year ago. It is definitely a lot chunkier and more overgrown than it was then. About 1/3 of the way down Joplin my legs started cramping as I tried to maneuver through the chunk:eek:. Surprisingly it wasn't my quads and hamstrings most of the time, it was various muscles in my hips as I tried to move the bike around in the chunk while dodging branches. My only other time down Joplin, my hamstrings had started cramping at the Joplin trailhead and it made for a miserable rest of the ride. This time I stopped and stretched a few times on the way down Joplin and walked a few things I might have otherwise been able to clean, but at least I could still pedal pretty well. When I wasn't cramping or walking the worst sections, Jolplin was a blast and felt like a totally different place from everywhere else I usually ride.

IMG_6823-1.JPG

IMG_6824-1.JPG

IMG_6825-1.JPG

After resting and eating a little after coming up out of Old Camp, I recovered enough to enjoy the Old Camp and Luge descents (unlike last time). No more cramping and both trails were in great shape. There were even poppies blooming toward the end of Old Camp about 1/4 mile before the flag.

I was beat when I got back to the car at Cook's, but I was at 5,850' of climbing and I've never hit 6,000' before. I couldn't stop there, so I did a little cool down/extra credit heading back up Santiago Canyon a bit until I hit the magic number (yes, I'm OCD like that). With my little cool down, I finished the ride at 31 miles and 6,158' in 4:03 moving time and 4:56 total time.

https://www.relive.cc/view/879653740

I also learned an important lesson about Tailwind. Don't put off buying more ... and actually drink what you brought! I made the mistake of not restocking, so I only had 5 scoops to put in my 3L Camelbak. This is much weaker than I usually make it, and then I didn't even drink much of it since I tend to not drink much when it's cold out. Because of this I ended up eating on a ride for the first time since using Tailwind, and cramping for the first time since using tailwind. Although in fairness, the cramping probably had a lot more to do with hitting my limits today.

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    All this flowing water is really neat to see. It's my understanding that this is the first "wet Winter" we have had in 5 years. The other day when I was climbing one of my local grinds, I heard tree frogs peeping. I can't remember when the last time was that I heard that and I am thrilled that they somehow survived the drought years. We have a local falls in the forest above me that is spectacular when it's flowing. Maybe I will take the wife up there soon.

6. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    2011Trek Fuel Ex9
    Today me and Trinidad, rode our bikes on the Backbone trail original plan was to start from Kanan dume rd. end it at Mishe Mokwa" trailhead then head back. Personal messaging @bigringrider101 he gave me the heads up to start from Encinal cyn. rd. to Mishe Mokwa"otherwise we would be doing a lot of climbing back to Kanan. Taking his advice starting from Encinal was much better" the views where phenomenal weather was nice and cool, can't wait to ride it again soon! Did I mention the beautiful ocean views throughout the trail. Although I didn't take any pics of the ocean here are the few we took. Total distance 20mi. 2600ft. Climbing.
    20170225_121752.jpg 20170225_092808.jpg 20170225_105634.jpg 20170225_094442.jpg

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    There is nothing wrong with....in my mind, it is perfectly normal...if not encouraged. :thumbsup:

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Hmmm? Nobody messaged me about that mess between Kanan and Encinal...

9. Severum

Severum Active Member

Name:
    Tyson
    Current Bike:
    2016 Yeti SB5.5
    Got myself and lil man out today for a quick loop at Aliso......fire road to coyote and back. This is lil mans loop he loves. Sure we stop along the way, he's seven, but each time out we stop less and less. The best part is he and I bonding with something only he and I understand.......and to see him take some hills he wouldn't the previous time, makes it all the best! Beautiful day.

10. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Got a ride in yesterday. Just local stuff I haven't ridden in several months. Most of the single track has a washed out section or is rutted. There is also a lot of run off due to the ground being so saturated. Everything is so green though! Raining here now so I may be "exploring" the road later.
    16.1 miles
    2502'
    The residential area next to the lake is my UPS route. 20170225_094728-1612x1209.jpg FB_IMG_1488123431874.jpg 20170225_100651-1612x1209.jpg 20170225_100700-1612x1209.jpg 20170225_100754-1612x1209.jpg 20170225_110045-2016x1512.jpg Screenshot_20170226-075114.jpg

11. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Nice action, guys and gals. :thumbsup:

Party foul! :eek: Hey, Jim, so ya know, I've never ever done anything like that :whistling: Glad you lived to tell the tale.

Hah, I take lil man out every ride. But damn, if I had a choice...

12. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier
    I assure you, the two are totally unrelated. Steep, rutted, rocky, too much front brake and I have a problem getting along.

13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I rode again today. I attempted to reach the fast melting snow on Mt. Lukens but it was pedaling (melting) up the hill faster than I could keep up with it. I started to feel fatigue at about 3 miles so when a certain trail head (Blue Bug ST) appeared on the left as I climbed, I turned onto it and worked my way back down the mountain. That trail is amazing. Someone is taking great care of it. Every time I ride it, there's new sections added. Scary as hell on an XC geo'd HT, though!

7.01 HARD miles
    1:18:05 ride time
    2100' elevation gain
    773 calories

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

14. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Several friends from OTB ride this quite often. I need to head over there one of these days.

15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Have you ridden it before?

Sasquatch9billion and UPSed like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    It didn't stop raining until after noon. Didn't feel like riding the road bikes so @MrsUPSed and I rode our MTBs over to Starbucks on the road. On the way back I saw that it may be okay to ride a section of dirt. There were a couple of muddy spots otherwise it was perfect. Actually managed a 7th overall on a DH section. Nothing beats riding with the love of your life though.
    17.5 miles
    1157'
    IMG_20170226_162650_783.jpg 20170226_135825-2016x1512.jpg 20170226_140205-2016x1512.jpg 20170226_140434-2016x1512.jpg 20170226_140518-2016x1512.jpg

17. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I have not. It appears OTB includes something else with it? Hans rode 16 miles with 5k of climbing!

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Hmmm? Well, it is a hell grind up a steep (500'+ per mile elevation gain), loose, rocky, gravel covered, over grown fire road but the ST is well worth the effort. The exposure is terrifying on the upper reaches of the trail, lol. More and more ramps to get some good air off of are going in all the time in the lower sections and a few in the upper sections.

Sasquatch9billion, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  19. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    The new jumps are what I am hearing about. One of the reasons I want to check it out.

20. StrandLeper

StrandLeper MTB Addict

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Seriously, another dead dropper. So I spend a hour yesterday cleaning and dialing. Loading into the car, I notice a dropper problem. As in it's dead. I can't do a monster ride with a seatpost down by my ankles. I couldn't you tube a fix as we were running late for a dinner foursome. So I just loaded it in and dialed back the expectations. Maple to Motorway. Picked up more trash on Main Divide. And on Maple. Was having a great run down Motorway when I aired out a bit too much over a water trough (at least four inches) and went into the next trough too hot, nailing a monster rock. Hard crash. Snapped brake lever. Swollen knee, blood all over. But no worse for wear. Rode the last 1/4 of motorway humbled. Raining at the start. Sun and clouds for Maple to Motorway (with a few showers) and then rain down Motorway a bit of snow at the top. Made the best of a dead dropper. IMG_5623.JPG

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Glad to hear you are ok, that the bike took the bulk of the damage. Heal up.

Bummer about the mechanical....

That snow wasn't there yesterday.

Thanks for picking up yet more garbage out there.

You learned what is so great about the Motorway...while it is not a hard trail....the faster you go, the harder it can be.

22. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Wootah...everywhere...

Both of my shoes were soaked within the first 10 mins of riding.

IMG_20170225_173240788.jpg

IMG_20170225_173254706.jpg

23. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    Which dropper?

Sorry to hear about the bitch slap dished out by the trail on top of the dropper problem. Hope you're OK.

You know, you're Mixer E won't do that to you!

24. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Ouch... Welcome to the Motorway Blood Donor club! I was initiated in a nighttime ritual last week. Glad it wasn't worse for you... :thumbsup:

25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yeah, @StrandLeper what they ^^ said. Heal up quick, get a clamp instead of a dropper, and bitch slap Motorway right back. :thumbsup:

26. StrandLeper

StrandLeper MTB Addict

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Reverb.

Funny, that u say that- the squirrelly POS (rock shox 32) front fork on my Pivot did not help matters as I was trying to hang on.

@mtnbikej oh yes, I am addicted to tacky dirt Motorway. Got bit but only bcz I was pushing the limits of my ability. The ride up was INCREDIBLE. Visibility shifting from 30 feet to 45 miles as we were riding in and out of clouds. My buddy and I were laughing and enjoying the route like never before. The alternating between squatting and standing stressed my thighs pretty well- but that run is just plain stress free fun. Thanks for showing us the goods Jzilla!

Faust29, herzalot, pperrelle and 5 others like this.
  27. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Got up early to squeeze in San Jan to CR and back before work today. Chilly out with light rain and and absolutely epic dirt. Started pedaling at 630, figured I'd be bowling for climbers on the way back down...nope, was stoked never seen so few riders on a Sunday am there. A little drizzle keeps everyone away I guess. Just saw 8 riders (well, 7 and one ebiker in full face and crash suit :)). PRfor the climb I think. Bushes and flowers are starting to bloom, spring is going to be righteous!

28. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Good injury dodge, Strand. One of those Reverb dropper stoppers could be useful on days like that. "Clamp instead of a dropper"...there's a controversial idea, RWS. One I like.

Back to your ride today :)

29. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    I carry a hose clamp in my pack. Just sayin'!

30. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    If I remember , don't you carry alot of stuff as a rule??

herzalot and StrandLeper like this.