I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    I had high hopes for this morning... a little cooler, get away early, just cruise. No such luck! Still hot, didn't get out till 8:30, and legs were dead. A lot of sweat and spinning my lowest gears just to go up minimal grades.
    Still managed 24 miles and nearly 1,800ft, but it was a tough one!
    On a plus note, I decided I really do love my Gunnar! It's a keeper!
    19223987605_4e01855aa4_z.jpg
    Untitled by David, on Flickr

19036354490_59b2287415_z.jpg

18601521864_a673600c56.jpg

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I can relate to those kind of days. :(

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    I should note that I wasn't complaining... trust me, being out and about on two wheels beats the alternatives!!! :D

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Well, yesterday actually.

Was supposed to ride with my wife, but she had things to do and didn't know when she could ride.

She says "why don't you head down to El Moro, it will probably be cooler down there". ;)

My response: "nah, it is supposed to be hot and humid everywhere". :roll:

But I headed down anyway. I knew I could get in a long ride, and it was not Blackstar or Santiago Oaks.

9:15 start....and it was sunny, warm and humid. By 10:00 it was cloudy, cool and humid. Even got about 10 minutes of rain.

So the wife was right about the weather...till about 2:00 when the sun came back out and it just got miserable. :p

So the route from Quail Hill Trailhead:

up Serrano, down Camarillo, up Stagecoach South, up Willow, up Bommer Ridge, down Fenceline, down Lizard, up Laurel, up Bommer Ridge, down Fenceline, up to Ridge Park(for water), down No Name all the way to parking lot, then over to Reef Point....this is when the rain came. up No Name, down Mach One, up ITIC, down BFI, up Slow and Easy, down Fenceline, down Lizard, up Bommer, down Old Emerald ST, down/up Emerald Canyon, up Bommer, down Lizard, down/up Upper Laurel, down Serrano back to Quaill Hill Trailhead.

So I ended up with 48.5 mmiles / 7750' accent

11355034_716451241834826_1303634629_n.jpg

Screenshot (39).png

Screenshot (40).png

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    48 miles on any ride is amazing to me, but on a SS, hats off to you! Awesome Highball BTW.

I went out this morning w/ the boy, and a nice 12 mile/1100 ft ride. Pushed just to the edge for him, but successfully made it home!

19052329838_61ac291a1d.jpg

19213346866_bb66a6fcf1.jpg
    20150628_090712 by David, on Flickr

littlewave likes this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    Whiting-Luge Whiting with Danimal. Always a fun run. A little steamy out there with the humidity, but not bad. Very light traffic on the trails and at the Wahoos parking lot, other than the usual hoard of hikers on Borrego. Great day with a good friend riding fun trails. And Wahoos to finish it off. :thumbup:

Oh 16 miles and 2400' I believe. 6 rides in 9 days for me - and that's very, very unusual. I hope to never take ride time for granted! :wave:

7. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Active Member

Name:
    Craig
    Hit Idyllwild Art School trails today with my son. We had to wait out a slight summer storm. Temps mid 70ies. Can't complain about the temps! 16e4732676a502d86ed3cec9a605b6c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball

I think someone needs to slip a strava phone in your backpack when you aren't looking. You underestimate your numbers. I used to play golf with people like that! :lol:

9. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude

He's pretty much spot on, I did STRAVA and it says 15.6 miles, 2439 elevation. But I did ride around the parking lot for 5 minutes waiting for him. What it doesn't say is how Freaking humid it was.....think I drank a couple gallons of water during and right after.

10. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Yeah... Im messing with him. I just think he's in better climbing shape than he lets on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I never said I was in bad climbing shape, I just admit that I am a relatively slow climber, and I don't really enjoy the act of climbing. I do like the feeling of fitness one gets from having climbed.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... :thumbup:

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Really hot today in Fullerton and Brea so I did just the FLoop, Panorama and some other stuff around Clark Park. Averaged 95F for 2.5 hours. Ugh. 25 miles and but 1.8 Hz units of climb.

13. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Went to Snow Summit for the second time this season. First couple of runs Vincent was dropping me. Had some mild rain early on too. later on I was back on my game. The more I hit these lippy jumps the easier they become. Don't get me wrong I still have lots of work to do but some of these jumps I can clear with ease. Such an improvement than when I first started. Vincent had a crash on the second wall ride but kept riding shortly after. Apparently on our last run on Miracle Mile a guy in front of us went over the wooden switchback berm (didn't actually see it). He seemed a little messed up so I went down and alerted SS officials. Hope he's ok. Hung out with Rox, Redwoods and some SS thrashers. Good times, good friends! 9 runs 9900' descent.

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Went out for a more casual ride on Sunday.

A buddy wanted to go somewhere to avoid the crap weather we are having.

"Let's go up by the coast, it will be cooler up there."

Ok, what were you thinking? Backbone - Encinal to Sandstone Cool, new dirt, I'm in.

First of all.....that is one long drive from the OC. :shock:
    Second of all....traffic sucks on PCH this time of year. :shock:

By the time we got on our bikes it was already 11:00.....warm but not hot. :cool:

Easy climb up....however there was little breeze for the first part of the ride. Once we got up onto the ridge, it was a little better....but still warm. Got to the gate at Mulholland Trailhead and there was not 1, but 2 gates. We knew about gate #1, but it was easy to navigate around. However, gate #2 is new within the last few months and there was no getting around it. Turn around and head back up the road a little ways....there has got to be a way to bypass the gates/fences. Spot a ST going up the side of the hill.....more of a scramble than a trail. A guy we talked to said it was an abandoned trail....not so sure about that....wasn't much of a trail, and it was a steep loose drop down to the road. Anyways, got us around the gates so we could continue up towards SandStone. Finally we got some relief from the heat when the clouds rolled in. Got to the SandStone Peak parking lot, and after speaking with some of the hikers coming down that said it was much hotter up on the way to the peak....we chose to turn around. Climb back up wasn't bad, but the breeze was very hit and miss.

Finally made it to the top of the last climb, now it is all down hill back to the truck. Great...but by this time it was just blazing out there. Buddy said his Garmin was reading 117*. No, it wasn't that hot, but the heat coming from the ground was ridiculous. On the DH back to the truck, the breeze finally returned. Great.....yeah, no. It was basically getting blasted by the hair dryer on full hot. Scary thing was that we passed people heading up as we were coming down.

We decided to go through the canyon and take the I-405 home instead of deal with the beach traffic again....the canyon traffic was just as bad.

All in all good ride...new dirt is always fun. Think next time I'll wait til it's cooler.

20.5 miles / 2675' accent

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.strava.com/activities/335195408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.strava.com/activities/335195408</a>

Screenshot (41).png

Screenshot (42).png

IMG_0965.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG

15. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    ^^^WOW J!^^^
    That was like a normal "human" ride your bike day...

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Sometimes I just have to be Clark Kent. :p

17. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    Got my lazy butt out of bed this morning and met mtbbiker off Keller Rd in Menifee at 7:00am (I'm usually just stepping out of bed at that time). He took me on the most epic trails ever, built by Eric Carter himself!!

We started on Split Rock, headed to Electric (EC's trail), down 215. We climbed some fireroad over to more st's!! Can't remember the names bc by this time, this ol lady was just trying to hold on.....

I had my phone on me but only took two pics of an old abandoned stone home habited by illegals or stoners (who knows).

The rains from yesterday's downpour made for some unreal riding conditions!! Can't wait to keep exploring and having Craig show me around. He's very patient w me but I can tell he wants me to push the limits (he's constantly giving me Sh!t - I love it!!) - in due time my friend, then hopefully I'll be spanking you.... :p

18. Mikie

Mikie MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    ^^^I have met and ridden with Craig once and quickly discovered he has the HP to drive it and knows how to drop a descent!^^^
    Great all around rider. Stick with him rox! Then kick his azz! :lol: :lol: :lol:

19. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Active Member

Name:
    Craig
    Glad you're having fun! Post up the picture of the rock house! & I'm looking forward to being spanked!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Active Member

Name:
    Craig
    Thanks for the compliments Mikie! I'm tough on her, she was complaining her side was hurting! I didn't sugar coat it & bluntly told her she was out of shape & lets get a move on, the clock is ticking away!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Yes Rox show us the pics !!
    I want to see where those illegals live, and maybe tell my cousin he will have a place to stay as soon as he gets here !

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    Bonus points if he's an illegal stoner!
    :)

23. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Trump says they all are - and dealers and rapists too. "Well, not ALL, there are some who are good people." :wtf:

24. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Not only did I ride my bike today, but I've ridden my bike every day this month!

There's still something cool about mountain biking from your own garage without driving. Up Ridge Park, down Lizards, up Laurel Spur, down Repo Man, up Emerald Canyon, down Art School, up Willow, down Rattlesnake, up ITIC - Missing Link, Fence Line and back down the road to home.

OK, that's actually the route I would LOVE to do, but won't do solo. I only did about 1/6th of that this evening (Up Ridge Park, down Lizard, up Laurel Spur to ML/FL and back down Ridge Park to my garage). Nice cool temps - a little humid.

Any evening that ends with a bike ride is wonderful thing! And, in honor of Canada day, I am drinking a Trader Joe's Providential - made in Canadia, eh? :thumbup: :wave:

25. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    It was much cooler today, and made for a fast fun whiting loop with very little trail traffic!

Regardless what someone, who shall remain unnamed, thinks, STRAVA seems to be motivating me to ride faster and better.
    Stiving to go faster and more accurately on the trails is paying off.

26. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Now, I am assuming that somebody is my good friend, Mitch Cumpstein*. And for the record, Mitch never denied that STRAVA motivates people to ride faster. In fact, that's the major premise of his argument - ride faster at the expense of necessary trail courtesy. Then afterwards, obsess about the numbers.

* Again, a free beer to the person who can identify that reference without looking it up. Knucklehead is excluded - I still owe him a beer, plus two dollars for parking. I don't want him pedaling after me shouting "I want my two dollars!" *

27. doublewide

doublewide MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant

Better Of Dead!

vt-222593.jpg

28. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Pour that man a beer! Great mtb advice in that movie. "Go that way, really, really fast...and if something gets in your way, turn..."

And here's the other reference, also filled with great advice. Thank you very little.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr9fMm5-tog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr9fMm5-tog</a>

29. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '11 Turner 5-Spot
    And pick our produce for slave labor?? Awesome...only in Merica!! :D

30. ridinrox

ridinrox MTB Addict

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike: