I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Looks nice! What fireroad is that?

2. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Boiling Point Rd. Palmdale lies on the other side. Its one of H^B's secret stash of rides.

mike, Faust29, CBone and 3 others like this.
  3. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Yo Ross I have fox float 120mm fork Compression , rebound and lock out adjustments, black, in extremely primo condition I am letting go. Just serviced at Ridgeline Susp. Make an offer.

littlewave likes this.
  4. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Sending you a pm now...

Tom the Bomb and littlewave like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    After work ride w/ the kids... pretty nice out!
    32486861186_ee8747fcea_b.jpg

6. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Nice to hear . One if the best in the winter.
    Fork is 3.3 lbs!

rossage likes this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I rode my bike tonight... With the other crazy single speeder. The nighttime version of the Maple Springs to Motorway loop. Maple Springs has a lot more small debris to dodge on the pavement section, but nothing too bad. Some of the stream crossings are interesting, and I ended up with wet feet by mile 2. :p That wouldn't have been so bad, but it was low 40s at the start, and 29 when we hit Four Corners. No breakneck pace, just steady... We started seeing a little snow about 1/2 way up Maple Springs, and lots of frost and ice, with crunchy dirt. We even spun out on the ice in a few spots... :thumbsup: We also ran into two trucks that were making their way down... "Telecom" something or other written on the side. I imagine they were checking equipment up top...

I bundled up with extra socks, another layer, heavier gloves, and a neck gaiter for the romp across Main Divide. I'll be turning in my "Born in Buffalo" card shortly... :p
    We saw a few stretches with more snow after Four Corners, which was pretty cool...

Main Divide Snow...
    IMG_2572.jpg

The gaiter is now my favorite piece of winter riding gear. I pulled it up over my face on the downhills and was nice and toasty. Main Divide wasn't bad... We were a little nervous about the mud at Bedford Road, but the wind must have done its job and dried it out for us. There were a lot of cut branches blowing around, but everything was navigable.

Maple Springs was rough at the top. The water thought it was a little smooth, so it roughed it up for us... Other than that it wasn't bad, until the very bottom. I saw Jason having some issues with fallen rocks and then I noticed that the trail was gone... The good news is that 36 degrees at the bottom felt downright toasty after being up top!

IMG_2577.jpg

Looks like Wrightwood Creek Crossings...
    IMG_2575.jpg

All in all, it was a great night to be on the mountain. :thumbsup:

8. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    ^^^^^ that's hardcore... :thumbsup: I was shivering at a soccer game.:oops:

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    I got out and rode today....well actually tonight.

Did a Maple Springs - Motorway night ride with @Faust29

Made it up the paved section before it started to get dark. The creek crossings were moving pretty good, but only about pedal deep. Lots of debris on the road, as well as a few places where the water was flowing across.

Dirt section was in good condition. Lots of water, but not really any mud. Started to see patches of snow about 3500'. Temps were about 45/46 when we started. By the time we reached 4 Corners it had dropped to 30. Quick break to change gloves.

Was happy to finally see snow.....
    IMG_2401.JPG IMG_2404.JPG

Shortly after this the road was covered....but I wasn't taking my gloves off to take any pics. Took it easy on the downs as wasn't sure what was under the snow. Main Divide was pretty torn up, but seemed better than last week. Main Divide went by pretty quick. This was the only time I really felt cold, and it was only my index fingers.

Onto Motorway, the first chute was a little on the rough side, a few new ruts that like to grab the tires. The rest of the way down was good, but still just cruised. Until we reached the last debris flow above the moto barrier at the bottom. Got hung up on a couple of rocks the size of basketballs. Then noticed the debris flow field. The trail is completely gone. Had to HAB over it.

Great night out on the mountain. Fun adventure. Good times.

10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Greg, I think those are my tracks in your headlight! Today I did the maple springs-motorway loop, which i havent done in about 7 years. Just me and the cougars out there. It was so nice to see all the water flowing down the canyon, and lots of epehemeral waterfalls. the creek crossings are now manageable. I forgot what a grind the last bit of the pavement is! but a pleasant spin in a middle gear up the dirt o four corners. Started seeing snow and ice patches at 3600', and up around four corners an inch of snow covered the shady stretches, looked deeper up towards the peaks. Saw some kitty tracks in the snow and did some "snow biking" going downhill from 4c on main divide. Main Divide was very wet, and soft in spots, but no washouts or damage except for a few ruts and downed shrubs. The last 2 climbs sucked! Motorway was in fine shape, the top section was rough and fun, no washouts exept for a debris flow near the bottom. The views and sense of accomplishment(at least for me!) on this ride are pretty sweet.

unnamed10.jpg

unnamed11.jpg

unnamed12.jpg

unnamed13.jpg

unnamed14.jpg

unnamed15.jpg

unnamed16.jpg

unnamed17.jpg
    Debris and washout near the bottom of motorway:
    unnamed18.jpg

unnamed19.jpg

11. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    You can really see the damage to the bottom of Motorway in your shots. :thumbsdown:

Sasquatch9billion, pperrelle and mike like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I'm really glad I had my first run down Motorway in apparently near-perfect conditions. :thumbsup:

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

It is still really fun....just a bit rougher.

14. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Don't look for perfection. Perfect your technique and deal with what you get.
    New ruts-new place to practice. Roll it? Bunny hop? Combo? Unfortunately, a lot will choose the P-line.
    5 inch travel bikes that go around 2 inch rocks! What's the suspension for? Impressing your friends? Impress yourself with some new skills in this melache soil!
    Get some!

15. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    All three of the people who liked this post ride hardtails almost exclusively. I wonder why that is... :p

16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    They don't need rear squash to ride mashed potatoes.

17. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    We only ride the mashed potatoes to get to the raw carrots.

mike, kioti, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  18. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3, Ibis Tranny
    So, just as @mtnbikej said it would, Oaks opened up today. I had an opening in the work schedule so I decided to run out for a quick ride. The trails were a lot drier than I thought they would be. There were a few areas of standing water or mud, but nothing that I couldn't either ride or walk around. Lots of new ruts and trail debris, but that doesn't bother me. Kind of fun to have the same old trail all of a sudden ride a little differently. Deer was in much better shape than I thought it would be. The worst area was at the bottom of the canyon where Coachwhip, Cactus and Bumblebee all come together. Felt good to get dirt under the tires again.

IMG_0107.PNG IMG_3657.JPG IMG_3658.JPG IMG_3659.JPG IMG_3661.JPG

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Yeah, I got out there this afternoon as well. I was expecting wet spongy trails. Nope...trails were very dry. Not any hero dirt.

The bottom of Oak had water running down it....especially since there was a lake above the first turn.

Lots of ruts, a few mudslides and some failing trail....but everything was ridable.

TwoWheel Eric, mike, bvader and 5 others like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    On a side note.....I overheard the ranger telling a couple on e-bikes that they were not allowed in the park. In fact they were not allowed in any of the OC Parks.

He said that even though they were allowed by State Law....local jurisdictions can overrule that. Sounds like that is what OC Parks is doing.

They were bummed that they spent all that money on their Levo's, and that the shop didn't say anything to them about it.

21. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    ^^^^ can I like that x 10000?

gunga din, rossage, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  22. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kay
    Alright, that just made my day! Hugs to everyone!!! :inlove:
    (and Oaks is in good shape, Jon drained the mud puddle at the bottom of Cactus so no "oh Sh8t" when you come around).

rossage, MattB, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  23. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    There are at least 3 threads I could post this in (weather, trail work..), but I'll put it here.

I rode my friend's bike today (more on that later). Received multiple reports on the STT/Luge and decided to ride and work on the STT. I cruised out to the area called Vulture Crags, aka the descent to the flag, grabbing a pick and shovel along the way. There was a small mudslide about 1/2 way down and long ruts at the bottom. I'm concerned about the ruts because a lot of entry level riders hear about the Luge and I don't want them getting hurt before they even get to the flag. So I filled in ruts. (That works for fast riders, too, because things can get a little crazy at that point.) I had a little extra time so I cleaned up the mudslide, too.

Then as I was heading back the STT to get to my truck, I stopped to stash the tools and my friend Geoff, who loaned my the Ripley, rode up.

He said, "I have some bad news."

"You want the bike back."

"Yes."

But then he said, "I also have some good news. You can ride this bike while I ride the Ripley."

This bike turns out to be a Mojo HD3. I know, sucks right? Guess I'll just have to make the best of it. :geek:

Update: For STT/Luge conditions, see post #283 in "Santa Ana Mountains, CNF"

24. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I hope you can cope with the hardship! :( :whistling: :cool:

And thanks again for your tireless work to help us all have more fun and ride more safely. :thumbsup:

Luis, mike, Sasquatch9billion and 5 others like this.
  25. tfitz

tfitz Member

Name:
    tom fitz
    Did the Skyline Regional Park not sure if most would like it. The trail is manicured but only 2 miles off the hwy it's definitely a good place to stop for lunch and stretch your legs. Buckeye az. 20170126_112732.jpg

26. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    Hightower, 29r Hardtail
    I did a blackstar night ride with a friend last night. I wanted to try out a new ITUO light. Conditions were pretty solid when we started at 4:30. Cool but not cold. It got a bit windy in some of the transition areas on the way up. A few muddy spots towards the bottom but you there were ride arounds or throughs that were easy to handle. A significant, but not surprising amount of washouts on the way up. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a fire road any more with how narrow some of the passings are ending up. Overall though it's in decent shape. Persistent ruts and typically each corner has one big one about 6-8" deep and 6-8" wide. Regardless none of the corners are so rutted that you can't take them at speed.

The booby track single track was in great shape and as fun as always. Definitely not too wet and still a bit tacky. Overall a great night for a ride and i'll post a review on my new lighting setup soon.
    bstar.jpg

27. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    ^^Are the Blackstar washouts unmarked?

28. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    Hightower, 29r Hardtail
    They are not marked. I think there are about 4 significant ones leading up to the gate before beeks. The worst is about 3 miles in from the gate/parking lot at the bottom. That one is easily fixable for bike traffic with maybe 2-4 hours worth of work although I wouldn't want to take a 2 ton vehicle on it with how the down slope soil looks. There is for sure two very questionable spots just before the booby trap single track turn off. I'm not a soils engineer (although work for a general that does a lot of site work so this isn't totally out of my realm of expertise), but they look like they should be stabilized.

mike, bvader, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  29. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Thanks Erik. Not a good situation for riders/trail users, plus it's a fire prevention road so I'm not sure why it's been neglected. This would be a great time to fix it with all the moisture in the ground, so I'll pass the word on to the Forest Service and County.

30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I went up B* today - what Ebruner said. The ride was still fun, I had a good time, but it can be a little tricky in a couple spots if you don't pay attention. I updated the "Trail Conditions" forum in "Santa Ana Mountans CNF" http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/santa-ana-mountains-cnf.1529/page-10#post-75628

Pics and everything. Oh, and it was windy. If you have to ride in the wind, have it push you up the last 150 feet of the climb out of Hidden Ranch on the way down. I didn't have to pedal. At all. Freaky!!