I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. code3

code3 Active Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout
    Yeah. I live in Riverside so I usually ride there a couple times a week.

2. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    OK, so this was last weekend...

Headed up to Palm canyon to show a friend around for his first PCE. Standard route....

A bit overcast, perfect temps, and only 1 other car at Pine View

IMG_4667_zpsc46kaf1e.jpg

The only thing that would have made it better was a blue bird day with view of snow capped peaks

IMG_4672_zpsz69cpxym.jpg

It was great to see water in the crossings on Potrero for the first time in years

0218E1BC-1D13-4B0A-80B2-D25BF2AF2430_zpsamgggfuw.jpg

The wash was dry but nicely packed and we made great time

DSC09784_zpslm2maupy.jpg

We saw three hikers otherwise we had the trails all to ourselves

IMG_4678_zpsit36f6mh.jpg

Good times

IMG_4682_zpskktow8oc.jpg

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Well-Known Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    Wow...Those are great views ^^

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  4. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    I rode my (friend's) bike up the STT this afternoon to check on my recent work. It held up to this week's rain, so I worked on a sinkhole that finally gave out (above little Mustard)--filling it and diverting water up-trail from it. Finished around 5:30 and rode down in the dark.

It was a pretty afternoon, the dirt was damp but not mushy, there were a few riders out, and it felt good to get out. Wish I could've just ridden, but there's a bunch of work that needs to be done and my fellow diggers are either injured, out of town or too busy.

5. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Quick spin up to Brown mt and down to El Prieto. Lots of water, some rock slides and a couple of washed out sections.

Water flowing through El Prieto
    IMG_0232.JPG

Rode up the Gabrielino for a bit until I came to this water crossing. Good thing I didn't drop down Ken Burton, I would have had to traverse some pretty deep creek crossings.
    IMG_0234.JPG

Fun afternoon with 15 miles and 2100 ft under my belt.

doublewide, Oaken, Mikie and 19 others like this.
  6. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
    B
    Nice spot for a photo!

image.jpeg

7. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    What was your route after the wash?

8. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Two Bikes, Two Cogs.
    I rode my bike today. I saw a little break in the clouds, and I headed to Maple Springs. A few raindrops on the drive in made me a little nervous, but that was all the precipitation I saw. :thumbsup:

Mid 40s at the start, and low 40s farther up, but I had enough clothes to stay warm, and extras in the pack... There were a couple cars in the lot, and a set of bike tracks ahead of me, but I did not see another soul until I hit Motorway. There were a couple groups of hikers, a biker climbing it, and then an older couple set up on the road with paints and easels... :thumbsup:

It was nice up there... A little spooky with 20 foot visibility on Main Divide, but the conditions were great. There was some mud for a few hundred yards at the top of Bedford, and a few new ruts on Main Divide, but it was fun to be up there.

Motorway is a little different from a few weeks ago... There are several new ruts, and a lot of the loose rock has been washed away. I was just getting used to surfing it... Now it's a trench.

https://www.relive.cc/view/830793555

Water at the end of the pavement...
    IMG_2488.jpg

Uh Oh...
    IMG_2491.jpg

Another one...
    IMG_2494.jpg

I'll be in those clouds shortly...
    IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

Pea Soup in spots...
    IMG_2505.jpg

Uh... Where's the big climb?
    IMG_2506.jpg

Nerdball Graphics & Stats...
    motorway.jpg

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, rossage and 18 others like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS

Looks like a spectacular day to ride out there. :thumbsup:

Oaken, Mikie, rossage and 5 others like this.
  10. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Agreed, great shots on a beautiful day. Nice work getting out today!

Mikie, rossage, mike and 5 others like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I saw that same rock last weekend. It moved. :geek:

20170108_114620.jpg

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, rossage and 10 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Some type of Santa Cruz...
    Modjeska Peak doesn't (seem to) get much love, so... besides another Santa Ana peak now crossed off the list...

IMG_0109.JPG

Nice to see some water!

Photo Jan 14, 12 32 41 PM.jpg

Mikie, Fueledbyex8, Oaken and 15 others like this.
  13. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Good one Andy. That access road is pretty 'unimproved', though I've only gone about half way up to that singletrack that come out by Joplin. I believe there is another singletrack from the peak back down to 4 Corners, but have never done it.

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    The wife wanted to ride "her" new Cannondale (my rebuilt Synapse) so we rode from Back Bay Newport up to where Jamboree starts to do more than 1/2 % incline, turned around, and came back. 22 miles, 450 feet, great couple of hours of just spinning.

15. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Two Bikes, Two Cogs.
    I believe you're right... I was up there with mtnbikej last year when a couple of his friends popped out right by the gate at 4 Corners. And looking at Google Earth, it looks like there's something there... Might be time to explore!

16. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    I hiked that trail like in 1994

17. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Some type of Santa Cruz...

Funny you should both say that... After I turned off MD, and headed up Modjeska, I saw this off to the left -

Photo Jan 14, 11 03 03 AM.jpg

I walked down it a few dozen feet so that it'd show up on my strava route, and I could go back and hopefully find some more details

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 3.25.31 PM.jpg

Interestingly, it starts at almost the same place for the trail Dave mentions (which I didn't notice!), which exits near the top of Joplin

Took a look on the desktop using Apple's "Maps", and although the upper part is obscured by foliage, what I'm assuming is the lower part comes out on MD, just up and East of 4 Corners -

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 3.29.27 PM.jpg

Thinking I might have to take a look...

18. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Two Bikes, Two Cogs.
    That is the spot where we saw the riders emerge... Right by the gate. That image is actually clearer than what I can see on Google Earth. :thumbsup:

19. Fanatic

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    I rode up Skyline today with @jaime. I was pretty tired after my hike yesterday, but it was cool seeing the TLD sections. Those are some steep descents. The temps and views were amazing.

20. mike

mike MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    My group ride on Bell Ridge consisted of the weaselpup and myself, so we had no compunction to revise the ride to a spin down Yeager instead. She's been nursing a pesky shoulder and preferred a little less commitment. It's some kinda cool to hear your old lady say that Yeager Mesa is "more fun" than Bell Ridge, jeez, I got the right lass.

Conditions were a little slippery, a couple more dry days would help. And the rut is a little out of hand now in a few spots. All par for a short, adventure lap. More water than I've ever seen in the drainage, and even flowing down the trail. An incredibly beautiful day to be out with my better half. She kicks ass :inlove:

yeager1-17_01.jpg

yeager1-17_02.jpg

yeager1-17_03.jpg

yeager1-17_04.jpg

yeager1-17_05.jpg

21. Fanatic

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
  22. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Overall, very cool. Yeah, lets take the easy way down..Bell Ridge. :inlove:

BTW, are those ladybugs, or little orange helmets?

mike, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  23. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    IMG_20170114_132017.jpg
    ^^ some section of TLD.
    Good riding with you @Fanatic
    Will glady show you around more of what Skyline has to offer !! Remember to keep and eye for knee and elbow pads !
    Beautiful day to ride, cool temps, lots of hikers only one small fall from my part but I managed to save it at the last second, left hand fingers got caught on a branch and made me brake !!

24. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    This is best mapage I could come up with it, but yeah, looks like it cuts off the Modjeska peak access road close to the same point as the ST that goes towards Joplin. Looks like a few Strava people have ridden it. I love exploring these kind of trails!
    Modjeska ST map.png

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......I had grand plans for a big ride today. :thumbsup: However.... :oops: I was at a birthday party last night, and by the time I got home it was 2:00. :eek: No way I was gonna be able to do a 50+ mile/8500'+ ride on 3.5 hours of sleep. :thumbsdown: Since no one else committed to joining me, I decided to sleep in and alter my plans. Some friends from the party said they were riding Maple Springs/Motorway this morning at 10:00. Screw, it...I'll just do a social ride instead.

I go to the Tree Farm about 20 mins before the meet time, except the meet time was up at Maple Springs. So I had to push the pace to get there. Right away, I was fighting a headwind going up Silverado. :mad: Turns out my ride buddies were running late due to an accident on Santiago Cyn Rd.

We headed off and it was windy and chilly. Debated putting on the armwarmers, but chose to go without. The pace was social. Ran into @Grego and Pat?(sorry, horrible with names the first time). Uneventful the rest of the way up. The road was still wet in some spots, but not muddy. Rolled into 4 Corners and took a break. Right before we left another SS rolled up. Turns out it was @MegaLurker . He would join us for the rest of the ride. He had rear tire issue, so he ended up having to tube it. He had no problem hanging on the SS. The muddy spot along Main Divide were in way better shape than I expected.

So nice to see and here the water flowing......
    IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG

No snow up on Main Divide, but there is plenty out there elsewhere......
    IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG

The ride down Motorway was a blast as usual. Did seem a bit rougher than on the Drop the Jop ride 2 weeks ago.

Had a tailwind all the way back out of the canyon. Fun day on the bike.

26. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Active Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2011 Specialized S-Works 29er

Great meeting you (@mtnbikej ) and your buddies out there today... and thanks for lending me your pump.

I had intended a short solo ride to 4C, but couldn't pass up tagging along with another SS'er along MD.

Lessons learned kiddos, when carrying only CO2 (no pump) throw some tape over the threads of the cartridges if they are stashed in a saddle bag. Mine were galled from bouncing around in the saddle bag over the last year, and wouldn't thread in to the nozzle. Would have been a LONG walk out if I was solo.

mike, PATKOUG, Voodoo Tom and 8 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    @Voodoo Tom and I discussed where in the world to ride today that would be minimal cold and minimum mud. We gambled on Sisar to Red Reef today and won! I have been off the bike for two weeks. Last ride was with @Luis and company on Brown Road when I hit the tree stump for the singletrack sling. But Tom swore he would go easy on me... he did. Still a long climb for the payoff but the trail was an unexpected hero dirt even though it was saturated. Sunny skies all day temps in the upper 60's peeking around 76. I have NEVER seen the ocean from Sisar before... not like today.

Voodoo at the last road climb switchback before we leave the trees. Nice to see steady water in the stream bed!
    DSCF1143.jpg

Rain filtered skies! Hokey Smokes! You could see forevah!
    DSCF1147.jpg

Voodoo Tom
    DSCF1153.jpg

Life behind bars!
    DSCF1156.jpg

Stopping for a look...again!
    DSCF1157.jpg

Last easy climb to Red Reef Trail. Yes... that is snow on those hills.
    DSCF1158.jpg

DSCF1162.jpg

Top of Red Reef Trail gives you a look at the Southern Cal world.
    DSCF1161.jpg

DSCF1163.jpg

DSCF1164.jpg

DSCF1166.jpg

28. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Dawn at Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary. Couldn't wear my sunglasses but light enough that I didn't need a bike light.

mod1.jpg

Trail wetter than a week ago. Weeping is widespread and more pronounced. Grotto Spring (on Harding just below 4 Corners) had actively running water - you could hear the spring from the trail there was so much water coming out. Main Divide between 4 Corners and Modjeska had active water flow down the middle of the track about a quarter mile above the gate.

mod2.jpg

Looking down at Harding Truck trail (about 1000 feet below).

mod3.jpg

Looking across at Silverado Canyon and the Motorway (about 1500 feet below).

mod4.jpg

Awesome day for biking. Better get the miles in - this could be "the" big storm coming later this week that will shut everything down.

29. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Noice! sounds like a great ride and conditions.
    Were those ladybugs near the creek crossing above the long gravelly section? That's where I've seen a horde in the past.

kioti, BonsaiNut, mike and 2 others like this.
  30. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Rode the Oaks today with my wife (8 weeks after child birth. She is doing so well, she loves riding). It was fun! We rode just under 8 miles. Rode up Chutes from Irvine Park, down Cactus, up Mountain Goat, down Cactus again, up Bumble Bee, down Grasshopper. Managed to climb up the Dam, then rode back to the car. The park was in great shape. The cacti, all very green, views towards Fremont/Weir canyons were especially nice. Good crowd in the park, everyone was nice, no impatient strava-riders :).