I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Oh man...

Cold today in the Santa Anas. 38 on my bike computer when I started up Harding, and 30 at Four Corners. Strong winds, too. Trail in awesome shape, no rockslides, just nice tight conditions. Some sections of hard frost and crunchy trail even below the Springs. Wind so strong I almost had to pedal to go downhill in the saddle before Four Corners. I was definitely feeling the cold - had to keep biking or die.

I encountered three dudes who were on their way down a little past the point of no return. They probably started out about 6:00 (I started at 6:25). I couldn't tell if they were biking or snowboarding - they had powder jackets on and ski goggles :) I wasn't laughing at them - I was extremely envious.

That was it as far as traffic goes. I didn't see anyone else until I was almost all the way back down to the 2nd switchback.

And for the first time in 40 years... I got home and didn't have feeling in the three small toes on my right foot. Nothing a hot shower couldn't fix - but it reminds me of my misspent youth growing up outside of Chicago - when you wouldn't come in from the snow until you couldn't feel your feet :)

Soooo glad I hit the trails today. Been hard to maintain the rides with the holiday schedule...

2. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    Well... I was all set to go out for mtnbikej's birthday non-death march ride, but he wasn't feeling so hot and had to cancel. You know it's bad if he cancelled... :sick: So, why not a last minute Maple Springs- Motorway loop. I haven't been down Motorway since before I went to New York, and it was past time!

@singlespeedrider joined, so I wasn't talking to myself out there... :whistling:

It was in the 40s when we started, and the wind was blowing pretty good... There was some debris in the road for the first mile or so from the rain runoff, but it wasn't bad. There were also some smaller ruts farther up, but also nothing too bad. The temps dropped a little and we were in the 30s before Four Corners, with lots of frost and frozen puddles to stare at. We passed a couple groups on the way up, and kept a decent pace. The wind breakers went back on up on Main Divide, and we saw puddles strong enough to hold our weight. I thought I was back in Buffalo for a minute. o_O

Main Divide is a little more beat up than it has been, but still fun. Same with Motorway... We would have made good time down, but one of us (me) had a rock strike and a flat. :whistling: There were also a few spots that we didn't even need brakes. The wind helped out with slowing us down...

IMG_2421.jpg

We both rode across the big one and it didn't break...
    IMG_2419.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I would really rather have done this. ^^ Currently at the mall with the wife and daughter. Shopping with two females...I'll never get out of here. Save me.

4. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    No man should have to shop with two of them. :stop: Is there a bar nearby?

Tom the Bomb, mike, pperrelle and 8 others like this.
  5. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Woke up to J-Down.
    Walked outside and there was *ICE* in HB, not frost ICE... sanity check.
    I headed out for a Whiting Old Camp Luge Loop.

As was said Whiting was open, but let me relay that Mustard (choose your favorite) Blew, Sucked, Negative Traction. Finally just jumped off and quick HAB'd it because it was doing that spin out thing.

The climb up STT was pretty tacky, nice day nice temps, light breeze. There was a few avoidable puddles etc.

There was one puddle about a mile from old camp that went trail side to side. (not the giant puddle you can get around that). I thought, remember that one. Well I didn't I was flying down is it was around a corner so I was still in "The G Lean" and I hit it and I just Hydro-Mudded across in in a diagonal, Didn't panic, Stayed upright but was sprayed pretty good on one side. I wish I had a camera would have been fun (yes I am a trail sensitive guy, but out-of-control and spraying mud in the air... the Bart Simpson in me comes out) . Apparently I wasn't the only one when I caught up with a few others they were talking about that puddle.

BUT I will say I would like to thanks the weather and @kioti and crew and the dirt gods and the new B which I tuned the susp last week. I may not have had my fastest ever run (4 secs off) but I think I may have literally had *THE* most fun on the Luge. Dirt was awesome and the recent work was most excellent. I really leaned into and worked the berms, and no it has not been sanitized. Corkscrew Good. The run of Drops ..check! and Those 2 kickers on that straight away before the little table tops.... Pop!.... POP!!! I would say 10+' distance in the air nice soft landing and straight into the left turn. All the little drops along the way look good and re-enforced with the rock lips. The berms are perfect not too much, just enough. Used about 90% of susp. Getting a bit jacked re-thinking about it.

What a nice day!
    J We were out there doing it for ya man!

Screenshot_20161218-162639.png

Cisco Roots, mtnbikej, jdubb and 13 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    We did the @mtnbikej J-Zilla sorry-you-are-puking ride today. See here for what the heck that means.

@Cougar, @Luis, @Bruinbiker and I were heading for Ridge Park Dr. in Newport Coast to ride LCWP in honor of J-Zilla, but some "tires on the ground" recon told us El Moro was closed (thank you @littlewave ), so that eliminates the chunky options of Rattlesnake and T and A. So we decided to meet at Canyon Vistas and ride Aliso. 10:15 meet. Lots of vehicles parked along the road.

Up to 5-Oaks first - nice run. Then up Cholla to Rock-It - always fun - smoked it today. Then up Cholla again to Lynx - fast and furious. Craig set a PR last time we rode it a few weeks ago, and he beat that by 14 seconds today. That's on a 2 minute run. Not bad. Todd had to head home at that time, so the three of us headed down Coyote Run to go climb Mathis - destination Car-Wreck. To this point, we had very little trail traffic to contend with considering how busy the parking areas were. Car Wreck would be different. Many hikers on the trail. Some were quite distracting in their skimpy clothing. We had a good run going, but right after the crux drop (where @Mikie ate it bad last year), I had to pull to a stop. Four hikers on the most challenging stretch of trail. I did not want to risk scaring the bejeebers out of them, or worse - having to contend with them in our way. We waited - but not long enough. We had to stop again just above the wrecked car. Sort of ruined the flow of an otherwise great run. Oh well.

Back up Coyote Run and Wood Canyon to the cars. 4 climbs, 4 descents. 15 miles. A million smiles. 2500' that felt like 3500. Unbelievable weather and great riding buddies!

This bird's for you Jason! Happy Bird-day!!!

Boys and Birds 12-18-16.JPG

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    ^^^ha hah! Love it!^^^

8. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Special thanks on this one to Tim from the Path (Live Oak) along with some of his co-workers, plus Josh Kolbo, Boaz Avta and maybe others. Fast, fun and flowy is the Luge at it's best and it sounds like that's what they've achieved. Awesome!

DBMX119, littlewave, bvader and 8 others like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Gunnar Rockhound 29
    Sunday morning is supposed to be the long-practice for the mountain bike kids. But riding @ 8:00 is just plain crazy-talk! Left at 11:00 after a lazy morning, and went out for a solid three hour ride. Again a headache for me, but after getting warmed and loosened up, it went away mostly. Great ride, perfect dirt, lots of water out there!
    31732918675_7ba1b2108f_c.jpg

31359784260_04f8ddb7b4_c.jpg

31732922355_bed16e3567_c.jpg

Below is a video if you click on it.
    30891214034_71da658037_c.jpg

10. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Rode our bikes up brown mt to see a new bff ♡♡ Bad Santa. Thank you! Robin mcg :)

FB_IMG_1482016650578.jpg

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Whoa, whoa, WHOA!
    Looks like Bad Santa was "being" bad and working on getting a full frontal hug!:eek:
    First Smokey, now Bad Santa!?!?
    You are looking more and more like Snow White! ;):oops: (just jealous... I spose...:()

12. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Not a lot of time on my hands lately with working OT, shopping for the holidays and I decided to re-model the bathroom :bang:. But I did manage to squeak in a quick Floop this morning with the crew and some munchies afterwards. Pic courtesy of Ricky24.

fd2.jpg

burger.jpg

13. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    @Grego Excuse me it may be a violation of forum rules to post a pic of a burger like that and not specify the establishment. Please comply.

14. StrandLeper

StrandLeper MTB Addict

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Fun loop. 30 and 5,000. Cow trial, bommer, fenceline, Lizards, Camarillo (new line rock roll to the right due to erosion in one spot), nix, out to quail, climb from Bommer Park back up to Bommer, and home. Stayed mostly on fire roads due to wet spots on the single track. Good times.

15. StrandLeper

StrandLeper MTB Addict

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Yes, please identify.

mike, Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  16. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Double Lizard loop today. Some great dirt, some still too wet dirt. Fun morning with my brother with the limited time we had.

Rain did some serious work on the freshly graded fire roads. And would you believe that all of the people I saw coming out of or going in to the closed (with plenty of closed signs) El Moro/Crystal Cove State Park were hikers?

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower

I agree with @bvader ...
    If it's not a violation to the imtbtrails Burger Location Admission Act (iBLAA) of 2013, then it should be. Only way to rectify this now is to NOT subject us to a FLOOP ride but take us to this burger joint after "a" ride somewhere else...

18. noLungs

noLungs Well-Known Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    Had the company Christmas party on saturday. On Sunday, hungover me, thought it would be a good idea to ride FLOOP. Well it wasn't. 4.5 miles in and I lost it. My ride map looks as drunk as I did on Saturday.

IMG_1497.PNG

19. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @noLungs ^^^^^^ bad things happen when you get drunk at company Christmas parties...

20. noLungs

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    Bad things did happen:eek:. Part of me drinking was the fact I lost a bet on the office fantasy football league. Wearing a bolo tie and having to drink anytime someone yanked on it never ends well.

Cyclotourist, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  21. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    A buddy of mine showed me around Dos Vientos yesterday. A lot of punchy climbs and fun descents. The wind was pretty intense at times but the views were incredible. This area is next to Sycamore Canyon and the west end of Space Mountain so you can add as many miles as you care to. 12 miles and 1900'.20161218_121405-1814x1356.jpg 20161218_121452-1806x1350.jpg20161219_060249-720x533.png

22. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Drinking games, eh? Do you work at a frat house? ;) :confused: Sorry to hear about your fantasy bet and the bolo.

23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    He's probably a geologist.

24. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Uh... what the heck I thought you didn't like climbing you sand-bagger!

25. DBMX119

DBMX119 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I rode it yesterday and the bottom half is in the best condition in years. Cleaned up a bit, and maintained, but not sanitized. Thanks to the crew that put in so much work on Saturday!

mike, Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  26. noLungs

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    Shoot a geologist sounds better than process engineer. Frat house, manufacturing, what's the difference!?

27. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Did my usual ride, chill wore off pretty quickly, realized I forgot my sunglasses. Trails in good shape, meaning more rocks, ruts and roots since the last grooming! Looks more like Danny Trejo's face than a baby's behind. Almost down and realized I forgot to bed in the new front pads that I put on yesterday. Oops, well probably got bedded as well up here as they would have down the hill.

A little odd experience on the street nearing home, have to go through a section of Industry, lots of semis and regular maniacs but a wide shoulder so safe enough. Looked back to see if it was going to clear up as I usually cross over to the sidewalk against traffic for the last half block to make my left turn without getting out in the intersection and see someone in an SUV pulling over behind me like he was going to park. Except there's no reason to park in an industrial area and it's all red curbed anyway. So I keep glancing back and it looks like he's trailing me for 30 - 40 ft. WTF? Good samaritan blocking for me from behind, bikejacker, psycho road rage? I don't know. So I darted across the 2 lanes into the median and SOB if he didn't tail me into it. By then it was clear to left turn across to lanes oncoming onto the sidewalk. Obviously, his work was done or plan foiled, whatever, but he peeled back into traffic and headed on his way. Not sure what just happened. Nothing really happened.

bvader, kioti, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  28. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut MTB Addict

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Be careful - there are all types out there. Guy just shot a 3 year-old kid in the back seat because his mom didn't go through a stop sign fast enough... Doesn't take much to set some people off - in some cases you don't even know what you did.

kioti, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  29. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    San Diego last weekend, looking to do Noble but it was under snow so did Anderson tt and Mission trails.
    Anderson's world cup area was closed. Major bummer so looped the middle chutes 4 times . Fun but not what I expected . The views of El Capitan were nice. Did the Mission trails grand tour. Some very steep climbs and descents. Found a couple nice chunky dh climbs and drops to test out the Ellsworth Rogue 60 demo. What a machine! xtr di2 shifting was very good. The wire routing was a bit sketchy though. It went right over the outside of the chain stay at the through axle. Not good. This is the best 160mm travel bike I have ever climbed. Amazing ! It just crawled up over rocks and was very easy to keep pedaling. I never spun out! Of course the descending was phenomenal ! Super stiff. 28lbs. xl carbon bike. Carbon wheels and shimano 46-11 cassette with xt 32 up front. I never needed any more gears, could not believe it! You gotta try one.

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0637.jpg

Cisco Roots, kioti, herzalot and 13 others like this.
  30. rossage

rossage MTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Put down the kool-aid Tom!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and mike like this.