I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Well-Known Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    Actually drove over to the sports complex for a tapia loop today, four of us in the group and came across several other riders enjoying the weather. Ended up with g-out where one of the guys went down and separated his shoulder, walked him out while someone went and brought his truck for a ride back to his car. He went to urgent care but haven't heard back from him, otherwise a fun time riding

Screenshot_2016-05-30-14-43-30-1.png

Cornholio, Cougar, ridinrox and 14 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    One thing I forgot to mention - I bought one of those "ice cream" bells that ring-a-ling based on jiggling of the handlebars. It has an off switch. It's brilliant. Most trail users appreciate it - but not this one guy today.

This One Guy, took off down Cactus in Whiting, and by took off, I mean crawling. He was in full lycra, riding a hardtail 29er. I came up behind him quickly with my ice cream bell jing-a-linging. On a wide spot in the trail, he wasn't interested in pulling over. So I stopped, as did Scott. I didn't want to ruin my run, nor be a dick about passing. So we waited... We waited until he was long out of sight and should be clear. Off I go, bell a-jingling. Again, I came up on This One Guy. He was not wearing earbuds. He had plenty of room to move over, and he was going really slow. I stopped again, because he was having none of it.

We got around him after the little climb out of Cactus, but we went straight and climbed a little instead of going down Sleepy Hollow. Well, I ran up on him again in some key berms at the end of Sleepy Hollow. Again, I slowed and backed off. But when we got to the clearing on Whiting road - did he allow us by? Nope, he accelerated to the best of his ability. We passed him, but he made it a challenge.

We really were trying to be polite, but I cannot imagine not pulling over when you are clearly slower and have lots of room and time to do so. I am guessing in this case, the bell made him mad and he "will be damned if any bell jingling speedster is gonna get by me!"

Oh well - people are interesting.

3. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Had a great time in Wrightwood (even though I bonked). Several last minute riders joined up.... Even the bomb showed up! Perfect weather

IMG_20160530_094118.jpg

IMG_20160530_122302.jpg

IMG_20160530_094356.jpg

IMG_20160530_094031.jpg

4. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Well-Known Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    If you went up Corral where did you descended at "Slaughterhouse trail"? or did you continue on fenceline trail.

Mikie likes this.
  5. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    @Louis Zegarra don't know I was following the leader, but we crossed fence line to a trail that doens't get ridden you can tell by the grass and loose dirt

Mikie likes this.
  6. Louis Zegarra

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    Or maybe he was too embarrassed to be passed by cows and did his darn best to save face.

LLPoolJ, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  7. Louis Zegarra

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    Yes. looks like you were at fenceline as far as you can, beyond that, nature has taken it back.

Mikie likes this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    I clicked "like", but only for the sharing. Sorry about your buddy's troubles.

9. Luis

Luis MTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I can neither confirm nor deny my participation or knowledge of this ride :ninja:

10. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    My old riding bud was in town, and wanted an easy ride as he trialed some new bits on his bike.
    We rode the Fully Loop. Great weather, pretty uncrowded, nice peeps. Good times!

11. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Isn't this normal roadie behavior? You just witnessed it outside of its natural habitat.

12. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Too late. They got you on camera!

Tom the Bomb, Luis and Mikie like this.
  13. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    You'll have to delete that last pic of you then o_O

14. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Have a new neighbor that also Mtbikes. So we rode out at 830, planning on a luge whiting run. Usually go out the drive and to El Toro. Apparently there is a nice single track just up the hill form me that takes you there...well that was fun! Been here years and didn't know this.
    Going up STT ran into a friend of the Neighbors so 2 turned into 3. These guys were fast climbing. Hit the luge, had a nice fast run down, then the descent down live oak to Santiago. This was quite interesting as one of the guys decides he'll manual down most of live oak hill , at the same speed I'm bombing it. Haven't seen that before. Fun times!

Into whiting I had my ding a ling and ding-a-linging ( like Hrz's ding-a-ling, but not his, thankfully ). Unlike Hrz, a hiker moved out of the way and Thanked me for the ding-a-ling that was ding-a-linging. Ah yes, love that bell. :thumbsup:

Now something new for me. Instead of the usual bomb through live oak and out, we climbed up, went through some streets and down NEW single track that take us from the top of a hill Glenn Ranch. That was some fun ST! I still think the the cruise through Whiting is better, but this aint' no slouch.
    Then back though some more familiar dirt and home.

Fun ride, new dirt trails, new friends and good times. Isn't this was it's all about? Damn this is a fun sport.
    18.4 mi and 3400 ft. That's a lot for little old me!

15. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Well-Known Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    Heard back from him, nothing broken just separated waiting on xray to determine how bad, he's in good spirits with some pain pills and a sling

Cougar, pperrelle, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Very cool, and good numbers indeed for little ol' you - especially since struggling with a cold. You'll have to show me some of those segments, but I don't think I'll be manualing down anything anytime soon. I can barely hold up my front wheel long enough to cross a small stream. Some people can just keep it up a lot longer than others! :oops:

And as for the bell, most people seem appreciative of the "awareness" idea rather than an assertive thumb activated "ding" that could be interpreted to mean - "get out of the way." I've had a lot of thanks, and a few perturbed looks. I guess I could blast some music to make others aware of a bike in the vicinity. :thumbsdown:

17. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    I rode my Excite Bike or E Bike for short. Calm down its a Trigger w/no motor except me. Decided to ride the hills behind my house. Moderate amount of climbing with a few downs. 13.7/2000. Summer is a coming in the IE. Time to head to the Mtns.

18. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    I'm amazed how many don't even respond to the thumb activated alarm!?!?

19. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Thanks for the tour Fran, had a great time with the group. Really cool stuff up there, I had no idea!

20. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Active Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker Hi
    Herz, I think I ran into you right after Luge. I was shaking out my hands while waiting for my buddies and the guy I was talking to was telling me about how the Luge bothers his hand. Was it you?

Mikie, pperrelle and herzalot like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nope - not me. There was nobody but me when I finished the Luge, and it didn't bother my hands. It did make me smile a lot, however!:thumbsup:

22. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kay
    So two rides wearing my IMTB jersey and both times I ate it. The second time I thwumped so hard the dirt went through the fabric and embedded to my skin. Impressive, eh? But not a scratch or hole in the jersey!
    From this weekend in Santa Cruz:

Photo May 28, 4 42 48 PM.jpg

Photo May 29, 11 54 16 AM.jpg

Photo May 29, 12 00 23 PM.jpg

23. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I'm conflicted about liking that post of yours or not @H2oChick :unsure: :laugh:

24. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    I want in on this. I think.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  25. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
    B
    Finally getting back into weekday rides after a few weeks hiatus... Just in time for the heat!

Same old Oaks...

image.jpeg

26. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    I finally rode my (friend's) bike again today. Weird, right? But all this talk of E-bikes reminded me I was suffering from an insufficiency of E-ndorphins. And it only took about 200 yards on dirt to get 'em flowing.

I got a super late start--after 7:00pm--but I went for it anyway. Rolled into Whiting from the Concourse Park entrance, down the gravel road, then up Whiting Road to 4 Corners and up some more towards Mark's bench. Went straight at the hairpin and winged it down to the water tank. Then through the neighborhood to Borrego Park, and down the little single track to Borrego. Missed Portola, traffic lights and the sand pit that way, plus it was fun.

Up Borrego to Cattle Pond, then up Mustard and down Cactus. No jingle jangle of little bells, and no rolling blockades. It was getting dark but I headed up Santiago Ranch trail, then down Vulture/Sage/Sleepy Hollow to Whiting, and sharp left at Concourse and out past the park in the dark.

No crashes, no drama, not a lot of people and I felt good (including the hill-climb, suffering part) all the way through.

Thanks for the push, Dave.

27. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Active Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker Hi
    No worries. There were a lot of riders out there on Monday.

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  28. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Awesome Jim! I always wondered where the access to the singletrack that comes down to Borrego was. Will have to give that a try sometime, if I can get someone to show me the way ;)

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  29. kioti

kioti MTB Addict

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    You got it, Dave. It's fun mixing it up out there.

Tom the Bomb and knucklebuster like this.
  30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I rode today...commuted on the road bike. 33 miles total, and a whopping 600+ feet of gain. :)

Danimal, Postal Pat, Oaken and 4 others like this.