I Need A New Saddle...

Discussion in 'Saddles' started by SnakeCharmer, Feb 26, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My beloved old school WTB Vigo is splitting apart. The original Vigo saddle is no longer available. WTB makes a new version Vigo for Pivot, but it's a different design.

I'm not open to trying other brands. I used to ride on Specialized saddles but the WTB feels better to me. Everyone is different on their backside. I've tried some of the other leading brands and they did not work for me and my behind.

Anyone here ride WTB saddles? I am looking for something similar to my Vigo. It has a long, narrow nose and thick padding at the back.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Snakecharmer I have a barely used WTB Silverado you can have (ChroMo rails). You might have to buy me a beer. I also have a white WTB Rocket V with titanium rails.

Mikie, Faust29 and SnakeCharmer like this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I used the WTB Pure for years. Several years ago I bought my Stumpjumper which had a Specialized Henge. I loved that saddle. When I bought my Jet I tried several WTB saddles, Pure included and they just weren't comfortable. I ended up with an Ergon SME3 Pro and I love it.

4. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thanks for the offer.

The more I look at the saddles on the WTB website, the more the Rocket appears to be the closest looking model to the Vigo.

Can you tell me much about the difference in comfort between the two? The Silverado appears to be more of a XC race saddle?

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The Pure is heavily padded?

Mikie, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Both are about the same in padding and comfort, but the Silverado is wider by a couple of mm. Feel free to try them both.

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I use a Silverado and it has minimal padding. I have a WTB Pure on my commuter and it is much more plush.

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm forbidden from offering saddle advice on the forum. Everyone thinks I ride a chick's saddle. :cautious:

Good luck in finding a replacement...

9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    No. I believe it is just wider.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Looks like the Rocket is the closest to the Vigo.

I personally am a fan of the Silverado. I put a lot of time in the saddle and have found it very comfortable. Been running them for years.

I also recently got a Volt for the Tallboy....so far so good in the small sampling.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Take you and your half saddle back and get back under that rock.

12. Severum

Severum Member

Name:
    Tyson
    Current Bike:
    2016 Yeti SB5.5
    Both the Rocket and Silverado are great saddles. The rocket typcally has more padding and will weigh a bit more. I have ridden both. Took a bit to get my bum used to the Silverado from the rocket, but both solid.

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... I wasn't going to mention brands, but I think I have to now. ISM saddles for the win! :thumbsup:

Doctor recommended for, uh, personal issues. :whistling: No numbness ever...

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    When I was a newb working at the shop, a long time ago, I tried to talk a customer out of a big gel saddle for his road bike.
    The manager called me over and said, " If the customer wants a beach cruiser spring saddle on their bike, sell it to them."
    Generally, if a customer wants a saddle, you can talk to them about widths, materials, and purpose. If they want a seat, go get the gel monsters off the wall.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  15. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Another endorsement for the Silverado. :thumbsup:

16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I am going to try the Rocket Pro model. Not exactly light and not exactly heavy but I think it is indeed lighter than my Vigo which will get my goat down into the upper 22s. :D

Thanks guys for your input. It was indeed helpful! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mikie, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nice run down here on the WTB line...

I've used a few also – Silverado, Rocket V, Pure V, Volt. Mostly liked them all during the time I've used them. The Pure and Rocket were the most padded.

Silverado came with a bike I bought in 2009; could not stand it for anything beyond a short ride. Tossed it in the parts bin. Rode other saddles for years. Put it back on my new bike. I can ride it all day now with no padded shorts, no issue. o_O

I've stopped using padded liners. I realize if I ride enough with the right saddle it's not an issue, and I detest sitting on a wet sponge for hours. Sorry for the drift – I may not be normal. Good luck in your quest...

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  18. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I had a WTB Volt until I broke it in a crash, then replaced it with a WTB Silverado from a take off wall. It was okay, but I liked the Volt a little better. It wasn't until I bought my next bike and did the sit bone measuring thing that I noticed a real difference. Apparently I needed a wider saddle:whistling:. At 5'11" and about 165, I was not expecting that, but I guess you shouldn't assume that sit bone width corresponds to rider size. Anyway, the Volt (and many other saddles) come in a few different widths and the correct width Volt for me was much more comfortable than my 2 previous WTB saddles. I could immediately tell the difference, and it didn't take me long to buy another one for my other bike.

Whatever saddle you get, find one that's the right width for you.

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yes, for sure. I did the sit bones measurement a while back. I have a 142-145mm butt. :D

Mikie, Faust29 and MattB like this.
  20. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    I tried the specialized power saddle after @Faust29 suggested me to look at their website and couldn't be happier with my choice !! If you have a bike dealer close to you that can measure your sit bones that helps a lot.

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  21. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
  22. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My new saddle arrived yesterday! Gonna mount it to the seat post and giver a try later today. :D

EDIT: Wasn't able to touch it, too busy! :mad:

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The Rocket Pro weighs in at 230 grams, the old Vigo is 345 grams. That's a 1/4 less and the weight weenie in me loves it.

The Rocket is noticeably narrower in the mid section, and thinner/lower profile, comparatively. Clearly more cushy than the Specialized Phenom saddles I used to ride, though.

It's now mounted on my goat and if there is time after work today, I will go for a climb to get it "dialed in".

Mikie, mike, Luis and 1 other person like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We tend to talk about butt comfort on the saddle, but the comfort of the boy parts and related areas is much more important... Whatever saddle we choose, the boy parts should never get numb. If they get numb, it's because blood isn't getting down there, because the saddle is pinching it off. No bueno...

I learned this the hard way, and had enlarged parts, and other issues. :whistling: With the doctor recommended "chick" saddle, and losing weight, all of the parts are back down to normal size... And I only have to stop to use the bushes every hour now, not every 15 minutes! :D

25. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Pictures, or it didn't happen.

26. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Nah, I think this time we can just take his word for it. :thumbsup:

Mikie, jaime, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Some would pay a good deal of money for this... :sneaky:

But I am guessing it wasn't the proper parts that were enlarged. o_O

Mikie, RS VR6, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You know... The 15 minute pee interval was a subtle homage to another IMTBer who once mentioned the ability t0 pee every 15 minutes on rides. :whistling:

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I was so busy crafting my clever quip, that I neglected to notice your homage. Thank you!

My need to pee frequently is always early in the ride, related to my caffeine intake and downing of a large bottle of Skratch. It subsides as the ride progresses. What you don't know is that I forced a certain Dodge truck driver to pull into a gas station before we even got to Palm Springs to take care of that need. I think he needs different seats in his truck to keep that pressure off.

30. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    This saddle is AWESOME! No discomfort to report. Fits even better than the Vigo did. I was a bit concerned about the narrower section mid way back but that's actually an improvement, for me anyway.

Faust29 and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?