How do you transport your bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Racks' started by Derkderkall, Jan 27, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

?

How do you transport your bike on your vehicle?

1. hitch rack

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. roof rack

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. trunk rack

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. truck bed

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    So I had a cheap trunk rack that I was using on an old Honda Accord last year, but when that car gave up the ghost, I picked up a Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback which the rack doesn't really fit securely to. Our main car is a Nissan Rogue Crossover. So at the moment I mostly transport in the back of the Elantra, remove both wheels, and it fits in all right.

I would like to invest in a decent rack, and was thinking maybe with a tax refund coming up... it might be a good time. My car has fixed point on top, for attaching crossbars or rails. The thule and yakima systems are probably around $500, then however much for the bike rack itself... (hopefully find a decent used one).

Other option is to get a hitch put on... then find a decent hitch carrier... the bonus of this would be that I could get a hitch on both vehicles, and be able to switch the rack between them....

Sooooo, who uses what? Benefits of each? I like the simplicity of the roof rack... especially with bad tailgaters around here....

Thoughts, suggestions...

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    U-Haul has a hitch for every car ever built. I had a 2-inch receiver hitch installed on my Mazda CX-5 for about $250. Got a Yakima hitch rack on sale from REI for $349.

Check their website to find one near you. They're half the price or less than the dealer, and they give a lifetime warranty including if someone rear-ends you.

3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    If driving solo I throw the bike in the bed of the truck, as it lays down just perfect. I have a Thule T2 with 2 bike extender, so I can either use that or hang bikes over the tailgate if more than just one. I tend to use the Thule if I bring my moto along and for road trips. For day rides it is so easy to throw bikes over the tailgate.

I use the truck bed most often so that's what I voted.

I will never get a roof rack. It is only a matter of time til you forget the bike is there and drive under something low-hanging.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    etrailer.com has hitches/receivers for every car....usually for about $100, along with installation videos. Depending on the vehicle, they are silly simple to install.

Not a fan of trunk racks....they just don't seem secure enough. Plus most are hanging style, which with most modern FS bikes are kind of a PIA.

Not a fan of roof racks either....on taller vehicles they are a PIA to get your bike up on. Plus they kill your fuel economy. Then they are always on the vehicle.

Hitch racks for the win. Easily removable. Secure. Easy to install bikes. Not so bad on fuel economy.

For me, I just put it in the truck bed if I'm by myself. For more than 1 bike, I use a tray style hitch rack.....same goes for the tandem.

5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Tray style hitch rack is definitely the way to go.

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Plusing up on hitch rack.
    I will never own a roof rack again......ever.
    In 25 years I have driven into my garage twice with my bike on the roof rack. I’ll take the insurance money to replace from a rear end accident.
    It’s a great wind sail that reduces your gas mileage daily.
    I panicked at every drive-thru.
    You can’t go through a car wash, and a pain to wash your car roof by hand.

I own a 1Up after we did an earlier survey here.
    https://www.1up-usa.com/
    You may think it pricey at first, but it really is not.
    My vote is for the Hitch Rack.

Danmtchl, Derkderkall, mike and 8 others like this.
  7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I choose option #5 - toss it in the back of my SUV

Danmtchl, Derkderkall, mike and 6 others like this.
  8. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I'm a bit behind on the early adopters. If I had the $, I would get a 1Up and be done with it .
    I have a medium truck with a shell (Dodge Dakota) and hitch. I got a used Thule T2 on Craigslist fur $100.
    State of the art 10 years ago.
    I also have a roof rack and occasionally use it for the road bike. I am much more worried about hitting a low overhang vs getting rear-ended.
    My reco is 1Up on a hitch.

Danmtchl, Derkderkall, mike and 7 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yea I’m a #5, two bikes in truck bed under shell. Prefer stealth. No stickers either.

10. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    +1 on a hitch rack.
    I was worried that an off-the-rack hitch would be big and bulky looking on my small car so I had a custom one done. I asked the shop owner if he could make it inconspicuous- you don't even notice it when the rack is not on the car. It was also cheaper than the u-haul hitch on my wife's SUV ($235 vs. $250 installed)

As for the rack; I've purchased two Kuat racks. Great racks, nice looking and it's easy to get a person on the phone if you need help with anything. I also like the 1Up racks now but used to think they looked like erector sets.

Danmtchl, Derkderkall, mike and 7 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have both. I leave a roof rack on my car all the time 'cause it looks cool and tells everyone what an awesome dude I am. It's a 2004ish Yakima High Roller mounted to factory Audi crossbars. The bike goes up intact, and the rack only clamps the front wheel. I keep surfboard pads on the rack not only to impress all the chicks who dig surfers, but to reduce wind noise (yes, surf pads reduce wind noise). The rack has held my bikes solidly for 14 years. I am fortunate enough to have never bashed my bike into something low (knock on wood). I don't have a garage or carport.

I enjoy having easy access to my hatch without having to fight the bikes on a hitch rack.

Since 86.73% of my riding is local, I don't go very far with my bike on the roof. It absolutely sucks gas mileage on the long haul.

I also have a Thule T2 hitch rack with a 2" receiver hitch. I use the hitch rack when carrying more than 1 bike and when traveling any appreciable distance (Big Bear, CO, Canada). I have insisted upon a hitch on every vehicle I've owned since 1996. All have had the 2" receiver except my Audi Allroad, which could not be spec'd with the bigger hitch. I have had UHaul hitches, factory hitches and one installed by a hitch place in Costa Mesa.

The T2 is a solid design that tips down to allow access into my hatch area, but it's not easy to do with two bikes on it. Even with the rack tipped down, the Toyota Sienna's lift gate won't clear, so I can't access the back. I know you are jealous that we have a Sienna....

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    With a car like you are using, I would spend the extra money and go with a quality roof rack. On a truck or SUV, I'd go with a hitch rack. I personally do not trust trunk racks. Our bikes are serious investments. In the end, I am not against removing the wheels and keeping it all inside. It's certainly going to be more safe that way if you need to park publicly and go inside a store or something.

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hitch rack for the win!

I have a 2" hitch on two vehicles, but the primary bike hauler is the Touareg. I have the rails on top, so a roof rack is possible. But, I'm the guy who would daydream and drive into the garage. :whistling: I can carry my bike in the back of the SUV, but that is a pain in the ass as a daily practice. A hitch rack was the only option that made sense for me, and the T2 lets me carry two at once with no issue. 4 if I install the extension which takes about 5 minutes.

As far as which rack, that's preference and which one you find for the best price. I love the looks of the Kuat and the 1UP, but I came across a really good deal on a new T2 at a sports store closing. The 2 bike version almost never comes off the car now... Lift bike, click front arm into place, pull strap through rear wheel. It's 30 seconds and it's secure.

I also keep two cables in the spare tire compartment of the VW. One 3 foot and one 15 foot, along with the heaviest lock that Lowes sold. It's easy to lock the bike or bikes up if I'm stopping for tacos...

14. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Etrailer Hidden Hitch + oneupusa rack = Bike hauling Bliss

15. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I saw a hitch rack in someone's garage recently that was pre-loaded with bikes. Looked like the owner could just back up, insert the rack and go! Very cool.

I've got a p/u with a shell so my bike goes inside. I had a roof rack for my road bike BITD, but it's a hassle with the 29er. Never drove into the garage with the bike on top, but did stick the nose of my saddle through a canvas canopy on a drive-thru once. :bang: Backed up, removed bike; drove through for burger. :cool:

16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I usually just prop mine up on the side of the bed for local stuff. I wedge the front tire behind a tie-down hook and it stays put. More than two we use a tailgate pad.20170701_120237_1517155081706.jpg

17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I had to do the math in my head when I read that 2004 was 14 years ago. :eek:

Totally jealous of the Sienna. :geek:

I am another vote for hitch rack, had a Thule T2 for 6 years now and it is still in perfect condition. This is after the first couple years of its life being down at the beach and often left on my car out in the salt air. Good thing about 4Runners is the roll down back window, makes it easy to grab stuff and put things away without having to move the rack at all.

18. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    FYI - if you carry an empty roof rack on your car all the time, you are cutting your gas mileage by about 4 miles per gallon (average across all cars).

Which reminds me of an experience I had yesterday... while climbing Maple Springs I was passed by a pickup shuttling 3 mountain bikes, LOL. Just buy an e-bike, already! That was so lame it made me cringe.

19. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Roof rack on the Audi to mitigate Sienna reality-check, FTW! No matter the price, it's worth it. :cool:

Joplin shuttle? Makes sense. E-bikes are illegal on single track, so these riders are doing it right. Plus, someone gets a nice drive on a mountain road.. what's not to like? :thumbsup:

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    For any 2" hitch rack you can get an articulated arm that allows the loaded rack to be moved out of the way, to the side of the vehicle. I have a hitch rack that includes such an arm. For road trips and camping in the truck bed, it is totally awesome to swing all that sht out of the way and drop the tailgate.

Not cheap...

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchswing/

Includes a license plate relocation bracket, which could make your drive faster :geek:.

A friend of mine vowed to make one. I told him he better make two!

21. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I have a RacAttach made by a guy in Utah. I was gonna make one too but it was cheaper to buy his.

IMG_20170626_081735_273.jpg

22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    5th option: the Van
    2016-07-27 12.05.12.jpg
    Got a hitch rack too, if the van is full for the Fair.
    Oh yeah, great for picking up hitchhikers! @Luis
    2017-05-03 17.54.04.jpgOh yeah, never leave anything in any vehicle that you can't live without. Even with alarms, cars, and yes, vans, are very easily compromised and your stuff will be gone in a heartbeat.

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I get reasonable gas mileage, but yes, I am aware that roof racks create drag, which makes noise and robs gas mileage and power. But they communicate "I am an outdoor athlete. Look at me and admire how cool I must be." And that matters far more than responsible use of resources! :confused: ;)

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Love that! Gonna have to get me one of those for the Sienna, if we keep it. BTW, here is the sticker my wife wanted me to put on the Sienna...

Stig.jpg

25. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    Why is there a sticker of a brown turd on your car?

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    It's a leaf, yo! It was raining.

27. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Hitch rack for the 40 mpg car.

F150 is more obvious.

28. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I do miss driving a pickup, had the best set up in the world back in Canada, a 2x4 with one of these https://rockymounts.com/collections/adaptor-and-truck-mounts/products/loball mounted to it, slid into the bed liner. Plus, 2019 sees the return of the Ford Ranger...

Lot's of great input as always. Really helps sort through the options. I think I'll probably go with the hitch, and try to find a Thule T2 on deep discount or used. Rocky mounts monorail looks like an option as well.

29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Almost forgot. We picked up a pair of these for long trips. They have adapters for all axle sizes. We took a trip last year and were able to use the Rocky Mounts for our road bikes and throw our MTBs on the tailgate pad.
    https://rockymounts.com/products/driveshaft-track
    rockymounts_driveshaft_track_thru_axle_bike_rack_hero.jpg

30. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    That thing looks heavy.

Danmtchl and doublewide like this.