Hayden and Inge

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by mike, Oct 11, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU, Jim.

Archetypical case study for REI promo...determined underdog surmounts skills deficit through cross-discipline development (gear-intensive, of course) and rises to social prominence. This is the dream for sale at REI, and you don't need to be world class to buy it. How could a savvy biz not exploit that? Do I sound cynical yet?

At some point one has to decide what one wants to do for a living. Bringing commercial concerns into recreation and leisure pursuits ruins them for me. Unknown and unwatched suits me fine. It was bothersome to me when Tom E. made the El Cap Report official and daily for parts of the season; it changed the nature of climbing it. You'd get back and people would tell you about what happened up there, rather than the opposite. To his credit, he would not shoot your team if you asked him not to, but merely having to establish that felt weird as hell.

Pardon the yammer and drift. I think it's interesting to note the sources of motivation for mountain athletes. The breadth is considerable, and some seem more "genuine" than others. From Dan H. the notorious fabricator (who landed a Sports Illustrated expose before people caught on) to some guy or gal you never heard of, voraciously knocking down test pieces and putting up new ones completely under the radar. Part of the joy of these pursuits, I reckon, figuring out your version of it, whatever that is. Completely adjustable, requires no motors.

Happy weekend!

rossage, DangerDirtyD and kioti like this.
  2. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I appreciate and share your cynicism, but I also appreciate this woman's commitment and "follow through." Pretty courageous, given the challenge.

My take is that the outdoor athlete's connection to gear manufacturers and retailers is what drives innovation and the amazing products we have to choose from. Early Wasatch backcountry skiers wore leather boots and used three-pin bindings, or lugged heavy alpine gear to the tops of these descents (I did both in those years in and around Mammoth/Eastern Sierra). A need was seen and plastic boots and lightweight skis started to be made and available. Those of us in this small market were very grateful for the options brought to us by Yvon C. and others, whoever they sponsored or however they marketed their products.

Our icons were the home-grown ski mountaineers like Allan Bard, Tom Carter and Chris Cox, as well as the more publicity savvy like Glen Plake. All were driven by passion for the mountains and the sport, and gear companies and outlets were providing more efficient ways to accomplish goals, be safe and/or enjoy the experience.

The practice of filming and posting exploits can be seen as either documentary or self-aggrandizing. Sometimes both at the same time. But the truth is some of these athletes need the help of sponsors or they couldn't do what they're doing. And it's actually work, which could detract from the enjoyment or lead to pushing beyond one's limits. But it also speaks to our need to be seen and heard and appreciated for who we are and what we do. I tend to be impressed most by humility, commitment and joy.

mike and rossage like this.
  3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Heartbreak :cry:

mike likes this.