Hardtail

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by Dirtrider...., Oct 11, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    What hard tail do you guys really like for our local trails here in So Cal?? Just starting my search.

I want a great climbing bike but something that can also enjoy the downs. I'm on a Hightower now and love that bike going down but its an average climber.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    Stache 5 for sure. if you can find the full rigid even better!

Faust29, Dirtrider...., Mikie and 3 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Countdown to Santa Cruz Highball recos, followed by Salsa El Mariachi recos... : )

I know of one large 2015 El Mar singlespeed for sale locally, cheap. Owner says it got him down Yeager, Joplin and Upper Holy Jim with aplomb.

Faust29, kioti, Dirtrider.... and 6 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Hmmmm.....I HAVE owned both of those bikes. Both are a nice choice. Both had been up and down lots of big trails.

However, it is really gonna depend on what the OP is really looking for in a HT.

Do you want a trail bike, a race rig, a SS, + Tires, Rigid, Carbon, Al....see, we need more of a direction to go.

5. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Love both of my on one hard tails but must say been eye balling a kona honzo.

6. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Highball, keep it in the family.

Faust29, Andy, Dirtrider.... and 3 others like this.
  7. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I like the Honzo too. I'd have a hard time deciding between that and the Stache, both really fun looking bikes.

8. Dirtrider....

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    sorry i should have defined what i'm looking for... i want a bike that climbs the best. i'll figure out how to get it downhill in a fun manner. i want to begin exploring more Main Divide type riding to take myself into new areas. I've been going up Blackstar a few times and do just okay on the climbs. I'm a very slow climber and trying to get better. Looking for a light efficient bike.

I can barely handle my 1x11 setup so i do not think i'll be seeking out a SS anytime soon. lol i'm not a racer but do enjoy group events. i'm also open to AL or carbon.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Something carbon designed around a 100mm suspension fork with a head tube angle around 70°, a used one that will that will leave some budget for light wheels and other components. That could be one of many bikes. Maybe I'm not helping...

10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I know @rossage is really enjoying his new hardtail Santa Cruz AL Highball.

rossage and mtnbikej like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This is what I was thinking... I'm on the Highball now, and if I were in the market for a full suspension bike, it would be the Hightower. It's really the only FS that's caught my eye recently. The guy from Texas we rode with a few weeks ago probably thought I was checking him out, but I was really watching the bike all day. A Highball/Hightower combo would pretty much cover anything.

I think your decision really comes down to the family of hardtail you want. Do you want one that is more traditional in geometry, like the Highball? Or do you want one that is the increasingly popular "slacked out" type? The answer to those questions depends on which part of the ride you focus on most. Do you want to have the better climber or descender? The Highball is great, and mtnbikej pushes it to its limits. I'm not sure most riders would be able to get that much out of it, though, on the downs.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Since you are looking more for a climber/distance ride....I would point you away from some of the newer style slacked out/bigger travle HT's ie: Hanzo, Niner ROS, Canfield Nimble 9.

Just about every manufacturer is going to make a great XC oriented HT.

I'd point you towards a 29er.....personally this is where HT's excel.

I'm going to agree with @riiz and say keep it in the family, with the Highball. Yes, @mike I did just say that. Been running the Al version of the Highball since it came out. Have turned over 20k miles on them. Typical frame at 4 lbs for Large. Climbs like a goat. Handles the DH just fine. Run a 120mm fork and you won't be disappointed. Stable, but doesn't shy away from tight twisty trails. Frame is stiff, but the 27.2 post gives quite a bit. Room for 2 water bottle cages. Short chainstays. Excellent customer service from SC....if you ever need it. Lifetime warranty. Allows you to run SS if you ever get the bug to try it.....never say never.

The Carbon version is the same....only lighter and stiffer, and 3x the price.....but figure a 2.5 lbs frame. I think the new frame is coming with Boost rear end....where as the Al is still going with 142 x 12. Also lifetime warranty on the frame.

13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Well I'm sold!!!
    What do you think about the 27.5er? I don't know a ton about them, other than this glowing review:
    http://theradavist.com/2015/02/santa-cruz-redesigns-highball-hardtail-mtb-27-5-platform/#1

mike and Mikie like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  16. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I dig my Pivot Les 29. Two years ago it was among the slackest of the HT 29ers, but I think the Highball and others have surpassed it.

17. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I was holding out commenting because I have trumpeted my love for the Highball loud and often.
    I agree with @mtnbikej that a 29er really makes a hardtail shine. The stuff I can roll over with my rigid 29er makes some full suspension guys jealous.
    For me, the value of the Al frame outweighs the benefits of the carbon. I really liked my carbon Stumpjumper too, but it cracked in half the first time a truck rolled over on it!

18. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    @mtnbikej really is the ultimate reason I got my Highball in the end...
    I did try various other 29er HT bikes, and after my Niner deal fell through I tried some more, the last one being the Highball
    My Highball is pretty much my "all round bike" - for most of what I ride.
    But lets face it, I don't have the skill and stamina to put my bike through what Jason puts his through, and if its good enough for him, its got to be good enough for me
    And it is. I got the "cheap" D. Couldn't be happier (after I swapped out the Volt for a Specialized Phenom)

19. Dirtrider....

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Thanks for all the advice... i'm going to test ride my friends Tranny friday through Whiting... not sure that sounds right...haha

will see about test riding the HighBall. probably a good time to buy if new models are coming out. time to search who has the best deal :)

20. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    "Test ride my friend's tranny..." Damn! ;)

21. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Just bought this rig. Niner Air 9 RDO AL frame and spec'd with some decent lightweight components. Serves me a few purposes. First is as a back up bike and second is for training and long distance rides. I live right up against the Gabes and there are some great fire roads nearby where I can put in serious miles and elevation gain and this bike is perfect for that. Riding a hardtail also has helped me appreciate my trail bike more when it comes to descending chunky, rocky, loose, steep trails.

IMG_2653[1].JPG

IMG_2407[1].JPG

mike, Luis, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Congrats on the purchase! I always like the looks of the Niners... Their entire hardtail line is just sleek.

Cisco Roots likes this.
  23. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've got roughly 2,500 miles on my Giant XTC 29er. It's carbon and was a tad expensive but it's light (about 24 lbs) and climbs like the proverbial goat.:thumbsup:

The only things replaced so far are tires to go tubeless, chain a few times, and I bought a better cassette than the stock one. And turned it into a 1x.

Giant makes an Al version also I think. It's a good bike that is fun to ride.

mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  24. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
  25. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    The 27.5 Highball is Carbon only atm, the Geo puts it more at Trail than XC, especially with a 120 fork. And last it is not SS friendly like the 29er version, you cannot swap the rear drop-outs, nor do they slide.

mike, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The 29er carbon models are also geared setup only... The aluminum is the only SS capable frame.

mike, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Giant has redesigned the dropouts on the XTC line for 2017. They are all SS capable now, and able to run 29ers or 27.5+. Giants never really caught my eye... Until now! I really like the versatility.

This all-new, multifaceted hardtail has a lightweight Advanced-grade composite frame that’s loaded with technologies for various off-road adventures. In its 29er form, it’s ready to race. But you can also switch it up and convert to 27.5+, or even go singlespeed-making it a true do-it-all XC machine for whatever terrain and conditions you face. It features wider Boost hub spacing (110 front/148 rear), which improves wheel stiffness for better handling, adds tire clearance and optimizes the chainline for flawless drivetrain performance. A 27.2 seatpost adds compliance, the MegaDrive downtube and toptube work together to maximize chassis stiffness, and a PowerCore bottom bracket gives you ultra-efficient power transfer.
    XTC-ADV-plus-SS-Gray-RT.jpg

28. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    ^^^Very cool looking bike. It looks like they went with a wedge-style seat post instead of the clamp. I don't think I've seen that on a mtn. bike.

29. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Also looks like the compliant 27.2 seatpost is a dropper in the photo.
    Interesting, though

mtnbikej likes this.
  30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Have pity, for (insert favored deity)'s sake!!! I too have a kid in college. :stop:

Faust29 likes this.