Hans Dampf

Discussion in 'Schwalbe Tires' started by Mikie, Jan 1, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Why they stealin' Maxxis' yellow writing? It won't make them a Maxxis! ;):sneaky:

riiz, SoCal_Rider and Mikie like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have those on my kid's bike... way overkill for him, but that's what I had at the time. Work fine, seem to be lasting better than Racing Ralph or Nic or other Schwalbe tires, but maybe that's because not carrying as much weight. Snakeskin tubeless set up. So far so good. I buy from German retailer Bike 24, and they go for about $40 shipped.

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Schwalbe's Hans Dampf Mountain bike tire is very popular for the front end. I ran several before I just got tired of punctures, tears, fast wear, and PRICE! They are grippy when brand new, but I found them to wear faster than any other tire out there that I would purchase. I ran the 2.35 Tubeless Ready version. As a large volume tire, they floated and felt unstable in "G" outs ( I would go into a deep dip of trail compressing the tire and suspension and feel the tires wander in either direction).

As mentioned, I experienced a lot of punctures and sidewall tears with the Hans Dampf even with their snakeskin version. Digging into large Boulder chunky trail I have wore the Hans Dampf sidewalks to the point of seeping Stans sealant, but usually got a tear before that. I also experienced wash outs on loose over hard pack, often no matter how much weight I would apply over them.

A very good and light tire for Southern California, but there are just better (Maxxis Minion DHF TR) tires out there, AND, for a lot less money.

I do not recommend these Schwalbe tires Sam I Am, based on performance/pocketbook.

DangerDirtyD, Andy and herzalot like this.
  6. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    The Schwalbe Hans Dampf pace star is at an amazing price of 19.99 at Jenson for the 27.5/2.25 size

Mikie likes this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Too bad it is not an amazing tire.

Luis, littlewave, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    This is the sort of review that counts (well, for me anyway!)

Mikie likes this.
  9. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    I like the tire. Have not had flats or sidewall issues with it here in the San Gabes. However, I'll admit to not being a super aggressive rider on descents.

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  10. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    I happen to like them, for my 27.5 I use it as a front tire, grips great, haven't let me down but I do use the 2.35 instead of the 2.25. Never a flat or burp. I ride them at 24 psi. I do mostly AM riding but I hardly go down steep trails that have jagged rocks.

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  11. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I picked up a HD in 2.35 for the front and a Nobby Nic in 2.35 for the rear. I got them in the Trail Star compound. The knobs are mad soft...like knobs made of gummy bears. It measures out to exactly 2.35 lug to lug...aired to ~25psi with a tube. I've read that they stretch out to almost 2.5. It weighed in at around 750-ish grams. I did one ride with them so far and I really like them. The front wheel feels like it just bites when cornering. Gave me a bit more confidence to lean the bike a bit farther in turns. I came from a Butcher front and Purgatory rear.

The Schwalbe prices from Merlin was too good to pass up. So I decided to give it a shot. So far, no ragerts.

Mikie likes this.
  12. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Mine is starting to rip on the knobs...well after a year of ridding and some snow summit trips its good....but next time will try the maxxis agressor....

Mikie likes this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Wait about 3 weeks....then you might be second guessing the HD.

Mikie likes this.
  14. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    That's fine. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the tires. I wanted to try max grip over some durability. I paid 72 shipped for both tires. So no big deal if they burn out quick.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  15. That's an awesome deal!

Mikie likes this.
  16. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Never did get along with the Hans Dampf I had. Did not like the way it cornered. Traction was ok, braking was alright. I wouldn't buy another, it just happened to be on the bike.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Ok.....ill throw my review of the HD since all I do is complain about them.

It's been a few years now. But I ran the 29 X 2.35 at the time I believe that only had one option.

I ran it up front on my Tallboy....Er, my DH bike.

It mounted up tubeless super easy to my Velocity Blunt.

It is a big tire. Barely fit in my Reba.

Traction was great on the trail....most likely because of the super soft compound. For 2 weeks it was a great tire. However, by the 3rd week the shoulder knobs were already showing a lot of wear.

PSI was a big factor in why I eventually got rid of it. At 200 lbs at the time, anything over 20 psi felt like concrete. It was decent at 18 psi...at 16 psi it was just scary soft and squirmy. A bit too low for me.

Between the touchy PSI and quick wear, it wasn't worth it to drag that monster truck tire around. For a tire that retails for $90....I expected so much more.

Faust29, Luis, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  18. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    "At 200 lbs at the time, anything over 20 psi felt like concrete". I'm at 170 and I ride at 24 psi tubeless and my DH gives me enough give without losing handling.

Mikie likes this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Something tells me I ride my bike a little harder than you do. :sneaky:

littlewave and Mikie like this.
  20. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    For sure, but what do you mean "feels like concrete", in the landing? while rolling?

Mikie likes this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    One of the benefits of tubeless is for the tire to not bounce / pinball off obstacles. The HD required me to run too low psi to get it to not feel like it was just ricocheted. At that low pressure the tire would squirm in the turns regardless of speed. Not very confidence inspiring. There just was no happy middle.

Most other tires allow me to run low pressure but not feel like it wants to squirm out from underneath me.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    IME the HD is a great tire in the right conditions. For our typically loose over hard pack conditions the side knobs are too flimsy. The first time I tried them I stopped several times thinking my rear tire was flat it was wallowing so much in the turns. I did get a chance to run them at Space Mountain our go to trail after it rains. They stuck like glue in the tacky dirt.

Mikie likes this.
  23. Louis Zegarra

Louis Zegarra Member

Name:
    LouisZ
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance
    Got it.

Mikie likes this.
  24. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Tire debates... chuckles.

Premium product never wins any value contests.

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  25. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    Jensons is selling these for $17/ea 27.5 wire bead..non folding. I'm in for a pair to check them out and from what I hear all the cool kids are running bigger tires nowadays.

Mikie, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  26. 7Mary3

7Mary3 Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Current Bike:
    LaPierre Zesty 427 650b
    Fudge..no wonder these r cheap..wire bead suck..takes a workout putting these on..returned and got the foldable..can put thesr babies on with my hands-no tools required..er..edit..foldable Nevegals

image.jpeg

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?