Handbuilt Wheelset Suggestions

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by kingaucho, Jun 4, 2018.

1. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    So want to build a new wheelset. Would love to get them built by one of our LBSs, but there is no way anyone could touch the prices from Colorado Cyclist. I plan on going with the Hope/Stan's Arch combo, but am also looking at the Hope/DT Swiss (471). Both are around the same prices ($500-600 after the 10% discount they are offering now). I read the new new Arch rims are pretty shallow and may be a little soft. Anyone have experience with these?

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/hope-pro-4-custom-handbuilt-wheelset-with-dt-swiss-ex-471-rims-29
    https://www.coloradocyclist.com/hope-pro-4-custom-handbuilt-wheelset-with-stan-s-mk3-arch-rims-29

Thanks in advance!

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I already flat spotted an Arch Mk3 on the SS. We have 3 other sets currently....so far so good. I probably won’t build another set.

So far have been happy with the Raceface AR27 rim’s on the Hightower.

Have no personal experience with the DT rims. Other than truing one and re-dishing another.

Cyclotourist, kingaucho and Mikie like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    There are several wheel builders on this site.
    I don't know if you can pay J to build wheels ;), I know that off the top of my head @Daddy Dirtbag and @rossage both build wheels, I'm sure I'm missing a few folks.

4. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    DT Swiss... Hubs, rims and spokes.

Next question?

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I built a front wheel not long ago with a Hope Pro 4 hub/DT Swiss Competition spokes/RaceFace Arc27 rim. I bought a slightly used matching rear wheel before the build. Everything has been rock solid so far and I only paid about $400 between the pair. I laced up the front myself and had the LBS tension and true it for $20.

6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    That's my trick, too. Do the rough build, and send it to the pros to finish it off. So far so good!