Fellow Epo'ers

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Torrent77, May 1, 2018.

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Did you convert to 650b+ ? What tire sizes are you running? I've converted to 2.8 rocket ron and clearance is pretty tight. I'm thinking I will need to run 2.6 for the rear, but will that mismatch the front at 3.0?

Thanks!

Mikie, Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I swap tires like socks... But my current 650b+ setup is 3.0 Trailblazer on the front and 2.8 Ikon on the back. The bike came with 3.0s front and rear, but the Ikon is a lot easier to turn. Several hundred grams lighter, and a smaller contact area. I like the feel of this combo, but the 2.8 Ikon has absolutely zero braking traction. None. If you try to slow it down on loose stuff, you're going to speed up. :D I'll probably try a Rekon on the back at some point, and I wouldn't hesitate to go 2.6.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  3. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Good to know. The rocket rons are pretty light and have above average grip. The only issues with them is that it took about 3 rides before the stans sealed up the sidewalls and the tread wears pretty quick. I was going to go nobby nic on the rear, but I have a feeling that they won't hookup as well as the rockets. I'll look into the rekons. I have a feeling that the rear tire will need to be changed soon.

4. scottay

scottay MTB Addict

Name:
    Scottay
    I think I have a wtb 2.5 in the back, 3.0 up front. Been that way for a year or more, works for me.
    CAM01637 - Copy.jpg

5. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    My choice when running plus mode. DHF front and DHR II rear.

IMG_20180114_123757_410.jpg

6. scottay

scottay MTB Addict

Name:
    Scottay
    Just to be clear, I think why he is asking is because the EPO is a non-boost 29er. So rear tire clearance is tight when you put on PLUS tires.

7. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Yep, exactly right. I shoehorned in a 2.8 and I measure 5mm between the tire and chainstays. On occasion I hear rubbing from the chainstay protection, but I did double wrap it with an old tube.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  8. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    It's also a performance enhancing drug;);)

9. scottay

scottay MTB Addict

Name:
    Scottay
    Yes, the bike is THAT good!

10. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    The bike IS that good. I took it down stair steps, lizards, and luge. It doesn't do well on rock-it.

Mikie, scottay and Cyclotourist like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    So this thread is aimed at "Fellow EPOers?" Given that there is only one being ridden by anyone on IMTB, you may be waiting a while for a response. You do know that Chameleons and/or Hightowers are required now, right?

Over here a second. Shhhhhhhhh (For the record, I think the EPO is a whole lot cooler looking bike than the Chamele... oh crap, someone's coming.) :whistling:

12. Erik H - MWBA

Erik H - MWBA Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    I loved my EPO

Ran 2.8F and 2.8R Knobby Nic. Did end up with chain stay rub in the rear and planned to go to 2.6 back there. When I bought the bike they said 2.8 would be fine but now they also spec a rim width and mine were +5mm wider than what they now recommend.

I'd go 2.8F 2.6R if I still had the frame.

Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 6.24.10 AM.png