Fatal Mountain Lion Attack- Washington

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faust29, May 19, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Edit: Another article says that the lion was just found and killed- several hours after the attack.

http://triblive.com/usworld/world/13668756-74/cougar-attacks-mountain-bikers-1-dead-one-injured

NORTH BEND, Wash. — One man was killed and another was seriously injured when they encountered a cougar Saturday while mountain biking in Washington state.

Authorities said the two men were on a morning bike ride in the foothills near North Bend when the attack occurred.

The mountain lion ran into the woods and officers with the Washington Department of Fish and Game are trying to track it, King County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Ryan Abbott said.

The 31-year-old survivor was taken to a hospital 30 miles west in Seattle. He is listed in serious condition in the emergency room but was alert and talking, Harborview Medical Center said in a statement.

A search and rescue team has been dispatched to recover the body of the deceased man.

KIRO-TV reported that the injured man called 911 shortly before 11 a.m. and shouted, “Can you hear me? Help!” and then the call hung up.

Authorities found the cougar standing over the body of the dead biker, the station reported.

It wasn't immediately clear if the two victims were biking together or separately.

No further details were immediately available.

2. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Guess where my ride was today?? North Bend! Guess where it was on Thursday? Tokul which is miles from where this incident happened.

Prayers to the two guys attacked! This is sad and not good news to me since I ride remote places and many times alone. I’m not gonna let this stop me though. Still think the odds are very slim of getting attacked by a lion.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Wow, that's shocking.

Cisco Roots and Danmtchl like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That's horrible. So sad for the family and friends of the rider who was killed. I know it's nature, but what a dreadful way to go.

:(

Grego and Cisco Roots like this.
  5. Cisco Roots

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Updated article with details of the attack....

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/cr...ountain-lion-attack-near-north-bend/752771730

"He said he had his whole entire head in the jaws of this animal," said Capt. Alan Myers of the state department of Fish and Wildlife. "And was being shaken around very, very horribly."

When responders found the biker who was killed, the mountain lion was still standing over his body.

The 31-year-old man said he and a friend were mountain biking in the Lake Hancock forest area at about 11 a.m. Saturday when they realized they were being chased by the big cat.

"So they stopped and they made a lot of noise, said Myers, ''which is exactly what we counsel people to do."

But then the attack took a tragic turn.

"The two victims then took a minute and were catching their breath about this amazing, incredibly scary event that just occurred," he said, "and suddenly the victim who's now in Harborview was attacked again by this cougar. It latched onto his head."

The man who managed to escape watched his friend run. The cougar chased after him and killed him.

Hikers were asked to stay away from the Tolt Reservoir/ Hancock Road area.

Myers says the cougar's behavior is baffling.

"The fact that it stayed in close proximity to these folks and attacked and stayed with them is highly, highly unusual," he said.

Wildlife officials say that at 100 pounds, the cougar was a big cat, a male, 3-4 years old.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    "Highly unusual." Well that's comforting. :(:(

7. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I dunno Cisco, definitely taking a chance. Remote and alone, I'd like someone to be there with me if I was injured, etc. My 2 cents:)

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    That is one of my preferred ways to go...but not without a fight!

Grassblade23, Erik H, LLPoolJ and 4 others like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Imagine the fur balls!

Tragic....

10. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Well that's how wolves are;);)

DangerDirtyD and doublewide like this.
  11. Cisco Roots

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Yeah me too it’d be nice if someone is with me. But if every ride I go on has to be with someone else I just wouldn’t be able to ride as often. I realize that these occurrences are extremely rare so it’s not gonna stop me from getting out on solo rides. What’s crazy is that there were two people there and someone still lost their life!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?