Family Camping near Trails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by no worries, Jun 1, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    I'd love some suggestions on camping destinations with some riding nearby.

Great example would be Seven Oaks in Barton Flats. SART is right there, but there's also hiking and a stream and plenty of exploring area for the kids. I've got a wife and 9 year old who can do green single track and a 6 year old who will do campground dirt roads, so we would bring all the bikes if there's trails for everyone. We're not 'avid campers', but I'd like us to be. Kids are getting to be the perfect age for it.

Someone mentioned Point Magu at a recent BBQ, but they don't really ride much.

Anything in general SoCal is probably game, but I'm open to further travels too.

Thanks!

2. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    We're going to Morro bay. Great state campground there. Good stuff to do with the kids.
    Big bear also on the north side of the lake, Serrano is a good place too.

3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Montana De Oro, has a campground and trails right above it. Islay creek, Oates Peak and Hazard Peak are all right there. It falls in the category of a little further. No real facilities like NorthBeach campground in Pismo. But it works.

4. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Malibu Creek State Park was pretty good when I went there some years ago.
    What's the one near Idylwild?

5. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Mount Pinos with two CGs,
    Chilao in LANF is a good one too,
    Kernville with all kinds of campgrounds from state owned to private and BLM (free camping in Keyesville).
    Big Bear would fit in there too.

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Idyllwild:
    Idyllwild County Park (not the state park campground on 243); hot showers (takes quarters), walking distance to services

North of Idy:
    Boulder Basin CG
    Dark Canyon CG
    Fern Basin CG

South of Idy:
    Hurkey Creek CG

Bluejay CG in CNF

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sbnf/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=26225&actid=29

Prolly not your bag for this trip: Yellow Post primitive camping areas in many SoCal locations. Also, dispersed camping without fire is possible anywhere in the NF unless signed as prohibited. Check with the ranger station in a given area for current info. Yellow Post sites may have fire restrictions.

7. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Yeah there a couple. One I know of in town (name??) Then there's hurkey creek, but I don't think all the trails are open around Hurkey.

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Check out the area around Lake Cachuma.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I guess the camping suggestions are of limited value if you don't know the area and what there may fill the bill for your family time.

Idyllwild has Humber Park up near Tahquitz Rock. It's the start of the flat and beautiful out/back Ernie Maxwell hiking trail. Formerly a multi-use trail, great for kids, crosses Strawberry creek. Or hike up Strawberry Creek from Humber along the primitive creekside path. The ranger may stop you from heading up the Devil's Slide hiking trail without a permit (available at the ranger station in town unless quota fills). All the services in Idy are around you or very nearby on your 10-min drive from the CG to Humber. No permit needed to hike up the creek or EMT.

If you were me you'd do County Park and take your kids to Humber, hike EMT, scramble some rocks in the CG, take a mellow ride on a FR, get some singletrack in at South Ridge, Hub Trails, etc, see Lake Hemet, drive over top of Thomas Mountain (down other side, too), maybe drive up Santa Rosa Peak (Ramona Trail and Sawmill trail, respectively, come off the tops of those mountains; meet your shuttle monkeys back at the bottom), get lunch or dinner at Paradise Valley Cafe (74/371). If it's not hot you have the upper Palm Canyon area to play in. Pinyon Trail starts right in Pinyon Flat CG (at the entrance, right hand side). Out of Pine Cove is Bee Canyon Rd (dirt, almost no traffic, toward Hemet), which you can drive down a few miles and get to a nice creek crossing, pedal around.

You may want a NatFo Adventure Pass, unless you just toss that pseudo-ticket like I did about 15x. National Parks Pass, Golden Eagle, etc., are valid for NFAP (check the fine print on the sign or ask the ranger).

That area is rife with the goods you seek. Too many to list. Check with the Hub bike shop in Mountain Center and the ranger station in Idy for current trail info/closures.

10. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Heck, even O'Neill would be good. Close to home, campground trails, a creek, Trabuco Creek up to Holy Jim, O'Neill trails as well.

11. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    O'neill is the best for family camps. Free showers, nice trails, heck you could walk to THE PATH bike shop or take the car up to Holy Jim and visit the waterfall.

12. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    i will no longer camp in any campground within 4 hours of la. After the all-night Dj in Santa Ynez, and the Domestic violence I woke up to at San Simeon, and the underage drinkers rolling into San Mateo late, im over it.

Two exceptions: crystal cove and Hurkey creek (pre fire at least) seem to attract a less violence-prone crowd.

13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Great topic! How about Pine Knot in Big Bear.

Whoa, San Simeon is a magnet for that, isn't it! I was overnighting it there last summer and a couple were verbally fighting way into the night and again the next morning. I believe it was alcohol induced.

I've had good luck at San Mateo and O'Neil.

DangerDirtyD, tick, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  14. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Get away from the coastal campgrounds go inland, haha. I've always had a great time camping in the San Bernardino mountains and forest.

15. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    If you find yourself further south, Mt Laguna is excellent for families, mellow trails and nice meadows.

16. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I think alcohol is the common denominator. For some, camping=public drunkenness, and I suppose some campgrounds will attract that mindset more than others. I had a hard time explaining this to Boy Scout parents when they would keep choosing cheap beach sites over less convenient places. Glad we moved on from that troop.

If I'm going to the mountains I will hike in. As far as possible.

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Per normal, the less convenient, the lower the kook factor. That MO doesn't so much apply to family camping, especially for unseasoned campers.

O'niell is a great suggestion. OC Parks has done a good job with their pocket maps. Lots of water around still. Saving 4-6 hours of windshield time sounds like a winner.

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    There are a lot of good recommendations here. I would like to add that the Riff Raff is usually on the weekends. I have gone to some of these campgrounds during the week and I was the only one there.

19. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    Awesome input from everyone, I'll start researching a bunch of the above ideas. Hopefully some others got some ideas too!

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  20. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    2 more suggestions are Prado in chino hills and the Calico Ghost town.
    Prado has a nice dirt trail that is easily to hike and bike. Also, you could leave the campground and ride the east side trails in carbon canyon state park.

I've never been to Calico, but I like the idea that the kids can walk around the Ghost town while I ride the trails.

21. I got a 2 week family camping trip to Santa Cruz redwoods booked for July. There might be some trails there :)

22. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Holcomb Valley CG (Big Bear)

Southfork CG (on Hwy 38 on the way to BB) is at the top of SART

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  23. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Just camped at calico 2 weeks ago. It is not bad but really dirty and this time of year really hot. We have a trailer and it was still hard to keep it cool when it's 90* with no shade. I said I would go back but the wife can do without it again.

I think there are trails near by but check Woods Valley Campground in valley center. Been camping there for 30 years and once I got my own trailer was one of the first places to go back to. They have a pool, small fishing pound with tent and rv sites.

Also you can't throw out O'Neil park or caspers. Close to home with lots of trails.

24. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Permits only required for Devil's Slide on the weekend or holidays. If you are there during the week you will have the trail to yourself... :) Same can be said for the campsites north of town. Your list is a little incomplete there:

Boulder Basin CG
    Marion Mountain CG
    Fern Basin CG
    Dark Canyon CG

Boulder Basin, Marion Mountain and Fern Basin take reservations 6 months in advance via recreation.gov. Dark Canyon is first come / first served. If you are willing to go even more rugged, there are Yellow Post Sites throughout Black Mountain and Santa Rosa. These sites are usually open year-round while the campgrounds normally run Memorial Day - Labor Day.

If you are looking for a great trail... I highly recommend 7 Pines. Many of the Idyllwild trails are crowded. Devil's Slide is awesome, but crowded on weekends even with the permits. If you know how to get to the 7 Pines trailhead, you will often have it entirely to yourself - even on weekends. It will get you up to the Pacific Crest Trail just like the others... but via a very private and less-traveled path. It also tends to have much more shade than other routes.

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    If one is considering Yellow Post: Camping in this area of SBNF is allowed anywhere not expressly prohibited. YP may have a fire ring and campfires may be allowed at a given time (they're often not), but that's all a YP gets you, so you might as well just find a nice primitive site away from other YPers (unless you're one of them that just has to have a fire when it's 60° out). Black Mountain Road north of Pine Cove is a likely area, as is San Jacinto Ridge TT toward Hemet (where the COULTER PINES sign leads off 243 on Pine Cove Rd). Unlike the other areas I mentioned, this area will have running creeks; the N Fork San J River crossing a little ways down is a great picnic area. Of course South Ridge, where other YP sites are, has spots; Thomas Mountain too. Trails in close proxy to all; less so down at the creeks on Bee Cyn Rd (but at least no pavement down there).

No permits or passes are needed for YP or other primitive camping there. Always a good idea to stop by the ranger office for current info.

If you're looking for some silly fun and a nice tour of the area, shuttle SJRTT to Bee Canyon TT. It's 15+ miles of DH on a fast FR with a mile of uphill in the middle to rest. At top, park anywhere in Pine Cove; the bottom is marked by a water plant on the north side of 74 just east of Hemet. (Getting picked up at the finish on the way home works well.) It's the green section at the start of this route, but done in reverse:
    http://www.ousleycreative.com/misc/CaliforniaCrescent_mapA_4-14.pdf

26. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    I am a big fan of laguna mountain. it can get crowded and noisey on the weekends though. We have seen weddings, DJs and huge groups. Recent changes in the reservation system have also eliminated the first come first serve sites so you have to reserve months in advance. But the single track around the meadow and great for the family, dogs are allowed on trails, and noble canyon is a good shuttle for dad.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?