Eyewear recommendations..

Discussion in 'Eye Wear' started by Torrent77, Jul 28, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Had some time this morning and went to Chino Hills and road telegraph. On the way back I nearly endo'd because of a dip in the road that I didn't notice while wearing my oakleys. On my tracer, I'd blow through that dip like a freight train, but my 80mm squish bike wasn't having non of that nonsense. No eyewear is not an option as I have light sensitivity.

What are y'all using?

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have Oakley Fivesquared (wraparound, polarized, sunglasses) and wouldn't ride without them. No glare, protects the eyes, and I've had them several years. I wear prescription glasses, so these are also prescription, and were pricey but very well worth it.

3. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Basically what RWS says, mine have the Prizm lenses and they are great. When I first used these prescription glasses they basically scared me because I could actually see the terrain. Expensive but great.

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have been using Smith sunglasses for several years and I like them. Currently using the Piv Lock V2 Max,. Got them cheap ($79) from Nashbar. Comes with 2 lenses and a hard case.
    Always wear eye protection.

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    IMG_1806.JPG $3 plastic cheapies from forestry-suppliers.com

ANSI Certified Z87.1 for projectile protection, and the tints leave no excuse to ride anytime.

6. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    I have Rudy Project transitions.

7. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Currently using either a pair of Oakleys I found on the road that are pretty dark, or some transitional safety glasses I got from work (don't tint much).

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Oakley Flak Jacket XL's....grey lenses. Wear them during the day all the way til dusk...almost dark. I used to wear clears at night, but I stopped. Have only had a few instances where I had a contact lens pop out.

I have tried riding in my normal prescription glasses and it bugged the crap out of my eyes.

9. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Same here with the Oakley. I've got some Racing Jackets with the Trail Prizm and Photochromic lenses. The Photochromic ones get clear enough that I can use them at night. I've got some Jawbreakers with the Road Prizm for road riding.

Some glasses I've recently come across are the 100% Speedcraft. I picked them up at Sea Otter for a pretty good price. I'm not too fond of the look...but the lenses are on par with Oakley when it comes to clarity. The glasses themselves are super light.

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  10. john_hovard

john_hovard Guest

Uvex Sportstyle 202 Vario, 1-3 or Oakley Radarlock photochromic also 1-3, both good enough to ride with at night and in sun.
    Non polarized as good polarized lenses see through water and if you see the road and not the water on it you could get a nasty surprise. Happened to me in a car.

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Reviving this thread as I had a nice disappointment with my Sports Eye Wear. :(
    I bought a pair of RockGardn Pangaea Sports Glasses from JensonUSA for $32.99 about a year ago and they come with the ability to insert your eye prescription into a mini lens frame that snaps into the main frame between your eyes and the main lenses of the glasses. I went several places to have them put my prescription in the mini frame and got no's... until I went to my eye doctor who did it. Well after much anticipation I rode with @Voodoo Tom on Golden Eagle with my glasses the other day and it was a huge disappointment. I can't really put my finger on it but my best explanation is they distorted my depth perception. My eyes were straining to focus on the clarity the lenses provided. It was almost an HD/3D effect that was so distracting that by the time I was done with the ride, my eyes were exhausted. I love the glasses! They are made for cycling. But I also got to see. What kinda money am I going to spend on prescription sports glasses? How durable are the lenses to not scratching? Do you prefer contact lenses?

Rockgardn Pangaea Kit
    rockgardn.pangaea.jpg

12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Think the bifocals were distracting and confusing the issue? The attack position on the bike is probably completely different than sitting in a chair and reading, Just a thought. The glasses and the prescription insert were very nice so don't give up too soon.

13. Robbie

Robbie Guest

After years of wearing contacts, I got Rx lenses put in some Nike sport frames. Like it better, except now am getting old enough where I can't read the computer well. So next time I will have to get progressives instead of single vision. I wouldn't want a lined bifocal, but a progressive, with the reading section set a couple millimeters lower than normal, shouldn't interfere with riding trail vision. Those inserts, if the lens sits closer to the eye than normal, could give a different resultant lens power (vertex distance is closer), and there could be reflections between the 2 lens surfaces that are noticeable. I get my exams and street glasses at Costco, but they didn't have any good sport frames. So I shopped online, I think used Eyeconic. For single vision, just needed a paper copy of Rx and PD (pupil distance) to order online. When I get progressives, they need to be measured more accurately, might have to find an optician that can get the frame I want then. The single vision were about $350. I got brown lenses, polarized with anti-reflection coating. Most sports frames have large 62 mm and wider lens size, so the lenses get thick the higher the Rx is...so if you have an Rx of + / - 2.50 or higher, pay for the hi-index lens material.

IMG_0246.JPG

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I'm a contacts guy. Then I can wear whatever I want when it come to glasses.

I have tried to ride wearing my regular glasses and I didn't like it. Maybe I just so used to my contacts, but I had issued focusing, plus in high speed sections I found that I kept looking below/above/around my frames.

I have thought about getting some Oakley's with my Rx in them, but it's a lot of money for something I may not like.

15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I actually can't remember what I'm using. They are transition safety glasses I got from work. I looked them up and they are only $20. I will pay that on my own if I can't get more from work.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer and I both wear these. The imaginary lenses don't seem to offer much protection though. FB_IMG_1515992057970.jpg

Cyclotourist, Redman, LLPoolJ and 9 others like this.
  17. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Oh mannn we could have a long conversation on this as I am very picky.

These are my parameters others have theirs.

I want good frames that go all the way around for protection. I have had 2 friend get deeeep lacerations from "half or blade" frames.

I want good lenses I like polarized typically brown for riding with the ability to switch out lenses if need be.

Lense need to be high quality poly carbonate optically correct

I like soft / tacky nose / ear pieces.

Size is important, I have a pretty wide big noggin and want good coverage from sun and wind

Some thought to venting or anti fog

Tough frames!

My go to brand is was Native take a look. Check most / all boxes. Lifetime replacement used to be free now $20 or so. Boulder / Cable for big faces.

Brand I am currently looking at is Ryder's they have some good options. Although I have to laugh out loud at a couple half frames they have with no frame on top... Can you say slice your face open... But I digress.

They have photochromatic polarized and antifog

I ordered a pair of Rockface photochromatic try seem pretty good but too small for me, so I may try the Face.

This is the short version

EDIT:, LOL Sorry Mikie I was responding to the original post.
    Ryder's have prescription coming soon.
    I don't think Native does prescription.
    Smith is a solid brand that does prescription

18. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    For riding I use multifocal contact lens and Oakley Radar EV Pitch Sunglasses with Prizm Trail, Black Iridium Polarized and Clear Lenses. This combination is far superior to my " regular glasses " including the added features that they stay put without being pushed around by the helmet and are vented which I find to be very helpful in wet weather.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, kioti and 3 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Multifocal contacts have been a life changer for me. :thumbsup: I can read. I can see far. I can wear whatever goggles or glasses I want. I don't need to carry a set of readers. YAY!

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I had a feeling it might be going this direction.
    I go through Sports Glasses like Front tires. I'm rough on them.

My concern is I have never worn contacts. I had the Doc put one in one eye once and I was like a feral cat on a collar and leash! I rolled around on the ground like I was dying trying to get it out. Can you picture Gollum at the end of a rope? "It Burns us! It burns us!!!!"

But based on Cathy's reaction to what @herzalot had mentioned about the multi focal in another thread, she has been very pleased with them. Maybe that is the direction I should go. Luckily the lenses I had installed in my ROCKGARDN's were on my company benefits.
    :thumbsup:Thanks for the help folks!

21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This actually helps a LOT! Now I know what NOT to do...:whistling:

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Please wear a GoPro when you try them out. The least you can do for us!

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I picture the Curly Shuffle, in the beginning...

24. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    UPSed likes this.
  25. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    About 7 or 8 years ago I invested in a nice pair of Rudy Project glasses. I found the recommendation in a Competitive Shotgunner magazine. The author loved the fact that the glasses didn't slip off with shotgun recoil. I figured that they'd be stable enough for my riding style.

I chose the style that allowed the "behind the lens" Rx insert too. Additionally, I had to go to a specific optometrist from a list supplied by Rudy to the the Rx filled. The optometrist was also a cyclist and I followed his recommendation to go with an Rx "one level" stronger to better pickup terrain changes at a longer distance. My only two issues 1) when looking far left or right, my eyes left the Rx field of view and things got blurry and 2) the stronger Rx made it nearly impossible to read my Garmin while seated.

Issue #1 went away naturally. I guess I turn my head more? #2 is still there but there is no reason to look down at the Garmin while pedaling anyway. End result is I absolutely love them. I have 5 tinted and one clear set of lenses to swap out. None have ever fallen out during my crashes. The ballistic level protection is an added bonus for both riding and shooting.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?