Endurance Nutrition

Discussion in 'Health' started by Faust29, Jun 24, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I got some of the Berry and some of the Lemon....in the reviews sections I kept seeing people referring to Lemon/Berry. So I mixed a scoop of each into a bottle and tried it out..Pretty damn good.

Mikie, Faust29, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    the upgrade20 is for repeat customers, 30 or 50 oz bags only.
    So you can use it next time...:thumbsup:

Mikie, GregMiester and jaime like this.
  3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    I used your coupon for my first time order and it worked...hope it works the 2nd time :)

Mikie and Danimal like this.
  4. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    Tw Tw Tw !!!!
    Ride was 35 miles and 3 bottles of 20oz with 1 1/2 scoops of mandarin flavor and I did it just perfect !!! the only thing I noticed was at the very finish, entering to the finish line right after the last climb inside the property, both legs stopped working, I felt like if I turned a switch off, but with spasms (is this a word) on the quads, never felt it before.. got off the bike, slapped both quads a couple times and continued pedaling for 2 minutes, since it was downhill from that point all the way to the bbq tables(uff barely made it).... Guys what to do if you feel cramps !!!?? I had 2 packets of bloks, tailwind 3 bottles, fruit in the 2 rest areas, 1 bottle of plain water, half PB sandwich. and before the ride had a 2 bananas and protein with almond milk.

Mikie likes this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

The TW is supposed to be used in place of the outside food. You were basically taking in too many calories. Perhaps your body was trying to work too hard to digest all that you ate.

As for cramps....some of it is just riding more. If you are only used to riding 10-15 miles.....going for 35 miles is going to tax your system.

You took in plenty of electrolytes, so I would attribute it to your lack of endurance. Also, the idea is to prevent cramps...once you get them, you are already behind the 8 ball. Sometimes, no matter what you do, they rear their heads...I get nibbles of cramps from time to time....but they rarely bite.

Just ride more and longer.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Plus....if you are feeling hungry, increase to 2 scoops per bottle.

Mikie likes this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'd have to agree with J about the endurance, but good job on knocking out 35 miles! That's a good feeling when the rides get longer. :thumbsup:

I'd try some of your normal length rides without the extra food... I haven't carried any gels, blocks, or food of any kind since I've transitioned to the Tailwind... Nothing. Just my little Baggie of TW and a scoop. I take in about 150 calories per hour through the bottle, and that's it... I might have an extra bottle of plain water at the rest stops, but no food.

My only exception was last week's century, when I thought I was going to be a bottle short...

8. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    Spot on J !! well this is the only time I get to ride more than my normal average mileage which is between 10 and 15 miles... and felt good the whole day but in the last 200 yards.... and honestly I want to ride more, but my work schedule doesn't let me.... but will try for sure !!!!
    And Faust29 yes I'm thinking about the food, because I did not felt hungry in the whole ride, I was eating because there were food in the 2 rest areas, but not because I need it.... next time I will try no food just bloks and see what happens, because in my normal Floop ride is just TW and nothing more..
    Thanks both of you my good friends !

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    It is a bit of a mental thing to not eat anything on a long ride. I even continued to bring a pack of Bloks the first couple of weeks that I used the TW, and I still have that pack. Now, like Faust...I don't bring any food on my rides.

Mikie, jaime and Faust29 like this.
  10. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Concur with this ^^^^^ Heck, I would consider 2.5 scoops per bottle on a 3+ hour ride. For longer rides like 3+ hours I tend to add an extra scoop per bottle.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    A couple of months into using this stuff (me with 1st Endurance; all y'all with Tailwind) let's review the results:

My experience has been that with proper run-up to the ride, hydrating and eating right, I don't need anything other than the mix. On my last big ride, though, the extra beer the night before and the junk food in the few days prior were not optimal. I also think I may have skimped on the dosage...I had a hole in my baggie and was losing the stuff to the air. I ended up having a pbj at Camp Williams before heading back up the back side of GMR on the way back to the truck.

I notice that both J and Faust mentioned food after their big ride Monday. Please elaborate. :)

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I ate a burrito....was I starving....no, not really.

Did I eat said burrito....yup.

Could I have skipped the burrito and just headed home before I ate...yup.

Part of spending the day on a ride like this is the retrospective over some grub afterward.

Also, although we were out for 9 hrs....I only took in 750 calories of Tailwind, so i was a bit behind on calories.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Tacos are hard to pass up after a big group ride... I wasn't starving, but they sure tasted good!

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So we're (waiting for Cougar, Jaime, et alii to chime in) agreed that the mix can handle the requirements, but the post-ride bull session over various food items is de rigueur and not a function of hunger or need. :thumbsup:

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yep... I managed the entire ride yesterday on nothing but water and Tailwind. I could have gone farther, but I like to support my local businesses. :whistling:

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I gotta agree on all accords. Tailwinds rocks. I did the Hell Ride on a 100 oz. Camelbak stocked with TW's. Go to admit it was odd to ride 4 hours without taking in any solid foods. The only thing I found was I got pretty bad cotton mouth after about 3.5 hours. Taking a bottle of straight water would be nice just to flush de palette would have helped.

Totally sold! I carry a food bar in case someone else needs some food. :thumbsup:

17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I haven't had the cotton mouth issue yet, but I take in extra plain water when I can. On the 50 miler the other day, I had 3 bottles mixed with 1.5 scoops, but I drank an extra bottle of plain water at Bluejay when we stopped, and again at the Dove Canyon stop.

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  18. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Yesterday was my first Tailwind experience. Usual: breakfast: Greek yogurt, flax seeds and nut mix; espresso shot with coconut milk and 1/2 tablespoon grass fed unsalted butter blended in. Ride: 4 sport legs, four enduramax (I think) electrolyte tabs; repeat every three hours; a vanilla gu per hour, and a bonk buster after three hours.

Yesterday: espresso shot with nothing else, and no yogurt or anything else (I ate a few too many cookies and shared two really good bottles of red the night before with my cousin... Stomach was NOT tip top at dawn). Very sub optimal "loading". I ate a bonk buster as I pedaled away from my house, and just drank my Tailwind mixture for the next 4.5 hours and 5,200 feet of climbing. I climbed skyline, meadows, cholla, Mathis, five oaks, Aliso rim, and skyline again (gotta get home...). 4 bottles consumed.

I had two more baggies of tailwind in the jersey and wanted to keep climbing... But the wife texted me to come home for a beach walk. I know the answer to that sort of text (27 year vet of the marriage).

I could have eaten a bonk bar, but didn't feel the need.

I thought I had a gu in my pocket, and panicked when I realized it wasn't there. Once I settled down, and trusted the TW, it was all good.

Went with naked. LOVE the slightly citrus taste. Gonna get the caffeinated naked next. I will use the regular for my night rides, and the caffeinated for my morning rides.

Pretty impressed with the stuff because I was running on some pretty crappy fuel.

This site turned me onto TW... You should get commission!

Strand.... Out.

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Yeah, at first it is a mental thing to want to eat something while on the ride. We have all been conditioned to do so for years. Once you can get over that mental hurdle, it is pretty freeing.

I no longer bother to bring any food along with me on rides. If something comes up and i HAVE to, I can always stop and pick something up. So far that hasn't been needed.

20. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Considering it is the Holiday Season...a nice dose of Tailwind works REALLY well after a few too many adult beverages the night before!

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hmmm... Maybe the green tea. :)

Beta Food.jpg

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Just ordered another round of 50 scoop Naked. <--That's the FLAVOR Naked! Not to mean I was naked while I ordered it... Not, not that there is anything wrong with ordering a 50 scoop bag of Naked . . . naked. Just sayin' :sneaky:

23. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Hey Tailwind fans, I just found out that there is a running store in Laguna Niguel that now carries Tailwind. I haven't stopped by yet to see what selection they offer, but it will be nice to have a local place to stop in and pick some up. Here is a link to the local website www.endurancehouseorangecounty.com

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If anyone ventures over to the store, let us know how much it goes for. I just ordered 2 bags on-line and the coupon codes no longer work...

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    It looks like the "TWFACEBOOK15" still works for 15% off.

Anybody have a different code that works better?

Mikie likes this.
  26. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Just got a 30 serving bag there, some kind of a sale going on, out the door $20.24. sticker price was $24.99. Only a few left but he said they were getting more in.

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for the tip.....stopped by there since we were in the neighborhood.....25% off so I bought the 2 50 serving bags they had.....$26 a bag, and $4 tax, so still was cheaper than buying online.

Sale is good til Thurs.

Fijirob, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  28. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Tried the caffeinated Berry. Not a fan. Strange taste. Going back to naked.

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I find that anything that has extra caffine always has a tinny taste to it.

So far I have tried them all, and they are all pretty good.

StrandLeper and Mikie like this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I too am stuck on Tailwinds Naked.

@rossage just likes "being" naked on the trails . . . . No explanation.

Runs with Scissors and ridinrox like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?