E-bikes everywhar....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BonsaiNut, Dec 4, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    What he was saying didn't totally make sense so I wonder how much they paid him to say that stuff.

BonsaiNut and Mikie like this.
  2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    My take on e-bikes and backcountry trails comes down to this:

wilderness.jpg

I live in Orange County. When I take a photo like this, I know that I am within 20 miles of 3 million people. But I am all alone. Why? Because to take this photo, you have to burn 2250 calories. You have to "earn" it. I know that I am e-bike access away from 3 million people standing up here with me.

Call me an elitist, but if you had a helicopter capable of flying you to the summit of Mt. Everest, would you appreciate it as much as someone who had to toil up its slopes?

The wilds hold a special place for me, and "effort" is the price you need to pay to participate. Right now, I can have all sorts of special moments - even in Orange County - because they don't allow motorized vehicles in most areas back in the National Forest. E-bikes are the cheat that the slackers have been waiting for. I am older and frailer than most of these poseurs. Get off your asses and ride a bike - and if you can't be bothered then don't whine when you don't get to see what I get to see.

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This always amazes me whenever I ride in OC or the Santa Monicas: So many people just a few miles away, and nobody out there on the trails. Today I rode a 30 mile loop around OC, majority of it dirt. Part of our conversation was how we were basically all by ourselves out there. In our seven hour ride, we saw less that 30 people I'm guessing, and of those, maybe only 15 on bikes. I am saddened by that, as I think riding bikes is one of the most amazing things to do in the known universe, and want everyone to enjoy it as much as I do. The flip side is I can't imagine how crowded it would be on those same trails if even a fraction of the population decided to take up the activity.

HBkites, Mrtahiti80, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Easy there B-Nut, I am simply describing the e-bikers I am encountering every weekend in Aliso or LCWP. I am not arguing that all e-bikers are this or all e-bikers are that. Someone above described the E-MtBers they are seeing as fully padded up "stormtroopers" and that has not been what I have encountered. I have been surprised by those I have seen - I expected to see the old, the infirm, the overweight or the MtB newbs. I've seen a few in those categories over at Whiting and STT.

The overpopulation of MtBers in Aliso is not yet attributable to e-mtbs, but the motor-pedal bike abominations certainly won't help.

Oh, and I don't hang with Laguna's elite riders. I couldn't if I wanted to.

sir crashalot, Mikie, kioti and 4 others like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    This is what I think about when I hear talk of ebikes. Not a pedal assist such as a Specialized Levo.

BonsaiNut, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Unfortunately, as far as being remote is concerned, e-bikes are legal on the Main Divide, Maple Springs and anywhere motor vehicles are allowed in the Cleveland NF. So while the single tracks and some Forest roads are off-limits, we can tick off 2249 Harding calories with at least the hope that anyone around us got there under their own power, but at Calorie 2250 we are back in motor world.

And one of the problems is, how do you keep someone on a motorized mountain bike from dropping Joplin when they love riding, they've legally cruised to the top of it, and that's what the bike is made for?

These (currently) low-powered motor/cycles are on the verge of changing everything. They take a mountain range like the Santa Ana's, which is very challenging to the human-powered crowd, and turn it into a mountain bike park. These batteries are basically chairlifts hanging on downtubes.

herzalot, Redman, BonsaiNut and 11 others like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Must admit: That looks like a blast!

8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    The one person I know that has an eBike basically bought it for that reason. It allows him to shuttle trails that he would normally have to jump in with others in trucks.

I know a lot of people here shuttle too, so it isn't like shuttling is an unacceptable practice. I don't like doing it, but will on occasion.

9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I guess will see how popular the shuttle trend gets?.......

Faust29, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    In spite of my well-known feelings about emtbs on non motorized trails, Its clear that if someone uses a small electric motor on their bike instead of a giant gasoline burning truck engine to shuttle DH trails that’s much better for the environment. But I think that’s a small percentage of emtbers in my area I’ll bet most still drive to the trail head, so then it’s car engine plus bike engine. Not really a lot of car shuttle trails in Orange County, just the backside aliso trails (which are illegal even for us except stairs) and San Juan/Chiquito. Like kioti said, it’s possible they will up the crowd factor in areas like the backcountry Santa Ana’s. But probably not on Wednesday’s which is good for me

11. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I differ on my feelings of something with a motor be non human powered. I ride dirtbikes and enjoy it in legal areas. I ride similar mileage rides that I do on MTB and usually am more tired from the motor scooter. One reason I started MTBING. Now I will admit I ride different terrain than a normal dirtbike rider. I challenge myself just like I do on my MTB. And get the same feeling when I am alone or with a few buddies high above the valley floor knowing that very few people try the things we do.
    These obstacles will use all of your human power and then some. Sometimes takes a couple of us to HAB an impossible spot.

images.jpeg

355073452fc972439f5c932a1e7e08cf.jpeg

Mikie, Sidewalk, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  12. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Avert your Eyes Dion. Sorry buddy

Mikie, Sidewalk, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  13. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Yup My point exactly.

To me: they are a lot of what is wrong with America. Most don't want to put in hard work to get what others have or experience.

Redman, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  14. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    We live way more interesting lives and are more fulfilled compared to lazy people.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, Sidewalk and 2 others like this.
  15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    On the flip side, they will never get it either. If you get an eBike and race an Ironman triathlon, you will most certainly not feel the same level of accomplishment as I did. You may have been there, but you won't feel it. Same with making epic climbs in the mountains. Sure, they may enjoy the downhill, but they won't feel the rush of making that climb.

That's all I can tell them. Just let them know that sure, it's fun, but you'll never get the fulfillment I get.

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Unfortunately most don't get it...and wouldn't have that sense of accomplishment. Just dread until they got to the fun part. Why work hard if you don't have to?

17. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I give you.. "E-ronman!" (batteries not included). :cool:

41UW3Z81DyL.jpg

images.jpeg
    gobblutharresteddevelopmentsegway-580x358.jpg

18. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    yup, saw another one in lcwp today. his buddies said he rides it "so he can keep up with us pros"
    ...they werent pros.

19. Mrtahiti80

Mrtahiti80 Member

Name:
    abe
    Hey, I'm all about sharing my passion about the outdoors with people but I'm also passionate about keep trail traffic as low as possible.

20. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    El moro mondays... hardly anyone...
    I once rode holy jim trabuco on monday..only saw one truck... and one bike.. one chipmunk

bvader, Faust29, BonsaiNut and 6 others like this.
  21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Holy Jim / Trabuco during the week is amazing. My experience has been similar to yours... no one out there.

A couple of months ago I did the BlackStar / Motorway loop. The only people I saw back on the trails were rangers working on the new fire break above Corona. Then I popped out at the bottom of the Motorway and suddenly people were everywhere :)

Mikie, konakc, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My most surreal moment was July 4th 2016. I did the Holy Jim to Harding loop. I saw one or two people the whole way... Until I popped out at the nature center, and landed right in the middle of the parade. :confused:

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, konakc and 6 others like this.
  23. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Yup, sure love my midweek days off. I hate crowds and enjoy solitude.

Mikie, kioti, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  24. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Done a coupe mid week road rides up GMR to Baldy. So peaceful when you see no bikes, maybe a couple of cars for several hours.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  25. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
  26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    dad09e00b1768213c1fe7ae24a97e410--dc-comic-comic-art.jpg

Mikie, Mrtahiti80, tortoise and 2 others like this.
  27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

The artist seems to have had problems with realistically depicting the nether regions. Perhaps he's not familiar with them? o_O:laugh:

Mikie, jaime, Sidewalk and 4 others like this.
  28. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    How familiar are you with Wonder Woman's nether regions? I am jealous.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Sidewalk and 2 others like this.
  29. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I'll take LC over a artist rendition any day... Especially when I was a 12yr old, and she was on TV every week!

30. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Sorry to interrupt the derailment........found this at Ralphs this morning.

thumbnaila.jpg

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?