DOWNIEVILLE!!

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by mtbMike, Jun 10, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 09-13-18, 09-14-18, 09-15-18, 09-16-18
  1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You can always count on Brett to provide facts.
    I brushed over the report. Not knowing the area at all I would have to dig in to it a lot closer to determine where and where not to ride bikes. They have maps in there but I did not see it's relation to trails. Be great to have a map that shared, "While shredding, hold your breath at these locations!"

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @mtbMike, count me in for a day. Maybe the weezel, too. We won't need accomms, coming from nearby.

:thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I’d demand to be at the back of the line to test the waters. Mind over matter. Im gonna live until I am done living, arsenic be damned.

Danmtchl, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Exactly. They closed some areas down here in SD over arsenic. Trails that I rode for years before they decided it was an issue. No telling what other residue I'm soaking up in all the other areas I ride, not to mention the exhaust fumes and smog all of us in SoCal have been inhaling our entire lives.

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yes. We are killing ourselves to live in this world, so live it up, every moment.

Danmtchl, Mike Dee, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  6. Mike Dee

Mike Dee Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    2Dogs
    Current Bike:
    Trek Junker
    What's up, yall. Just found your forums after doing a search for "Sierra Fund" "Downieville Classic".

I don't ride much anymore since my pups are getting too old to keep up. I am, however, always up in the hills around Downieville looking for some color. While up there, I meet a LOT of mountain bikers (maybe even some of you), and my offer of a cold beer is usually accepted.

While hanging out (sometimes for an hour or so) we usually discuss gold prospecting, as that is what I'm usually doing at the time. I get lots of questions and have made quite a few friends over the years. I'm not going to name drop anybody, but you can ask the Downieville locals about me. Yes, you can say 2Dogs.

What I mainly stopped by for was in regards to The Sierra Fund and Izzy Martin. Make no mistake about it, her main goal is to shut down the Classic, and the article on the Sierra Fund's website is her first crack at it. That group has been making millions from the state (our tax money) by finding problems for their solutions. I won't go into the dredging ban here, but it started out the same way: mercury advisory signs all over the lakes and rivers and then a ban. You see, when dredging was permitted (literally), Nevada County and N.I.D. had a thing called "Operation Milk Run" in which gold dredgers could turn in the mercury they recovered - so as not to sit for years in people's garages, only to turn toxic if vaporized - for safe disposal .

During Milk Run, however, Carrie Monahan and Izzy Martin (who were both involved in the project) saw dollar signs. Carrie Monahan can be seen on a youtube video explaining to the state legislature that they had to shut down Milk Run because it was "too successful"...that they were getting more mercury than they knew what to do with. Long story short - the Sierra Fund now has a monopoly on gold dredging, as they are currently dredging the Combie Reservoir (a private lake) on the Bear River and are getting millions of our tax dollars each year to do it. They say they are doing it to remove mercury, but we all know the truth. As for the gold they are also getting, they proudly say that they will market it as "E3 Gold," as it is Environmentally, Economically, and Ethically Mined Gold. Yes, they even use the term "Fair Mined Gold" on their website.

I could go on about this all day, but I won't. Just know that Mike was right in what he saw in the Sierra Fund's name alone. As for why they are trying to shut down mountain biking in the Sierras, I can't say. You can be certain, however, that there's money or power to be gained somewhere.

If you make it up to Downieville, have fun on your ride and if you see me and my two huskies - stop by for a beer and try your hand at getting some gold.

And of course you can keep what you find, but know that I'll be getting the rest after you leave .

Alright, yall...I'm out. Thanks for your time. See you around.

chaos, pperrelle, Maddog and 11 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well that was fun, surprising, odd, friendly, informative, and unexpected...
    Thanks @Mike Dee !
    Let me know if you want me to swap your real name to your screen name as your screen name.

pperrelle, herzalot, Mike Dee and 2 others like this.
  8. Mike Dee

Mike Dee Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    2Dogs
    Current Bike:
    Trek Junker
    Haha, glad you liked it. I may or may not be back on here, so it probably doesn't matter about the name. I thought it was going to show '2Dogs' on my post, so that's why I mentioned it. Thanks for the offer, tho!

Heading out to the claim now. Hope to see some you out there!

herzalot, kioti and Mikie like this.
  9. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Six more weeks!! Anybody decided to head up there?

kioti and mike like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Anybody might already be in the area. You never know... :cool:

kioti, doublewide and herzalot like this.
  11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I'm working on setting up a "private" shuttle that will actually be a double-drop. If we can arrange it again like we did last year, we'll start the morning by meeting in Downieville and then getting dropped at the top of Mills Peak. The shuttle would then pick us up in Graeagle and drop us at Packer Saddle for us to ride back into Downieville. Last year the charge was $40 pp and we'll probably do it on Thursday the 13th or Friday the 14th. One of the days, we'll be riding the the "new in 2017" Gold Valley Rim Trail out to Big Boulder for sure.

Send me a PM if this shuttle might interest you.

mike and kioti like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The shuttle sounds really cool, Mike. TFPU.

The date is looking questionable for me, but if it breaks open I'll let you know. (Realizing early birds get worms.)

mtbMike likes this.
  13. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    That's OK. I don't think there's anybody else racing to get on the shuttle. I did hear back today and it's a GO but we have to do it on Thursday morning at 10 am (Sept 13th). If that works out for you, he said he can squeeze two more riders into the van.

mike likes this.