DHR II

Discussion in 'Minion' started by Mikie, Jan 1, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    image.png
    Maxxis Minion DHR II
    An even more aggressive Minion?!
    • Redesigned, wider shoulder knobs for better cornering
    • Paddle-like center knobs for improved braking
    • Ramped and siped tread to roll fast and track straight under braking
    image.jpeg

2. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Downhill versions listed above, below are the trail/all mountain versions
    MINION DHR II
    Refined and redesigned; ready to shred any line
    • M327
    • Excellent braking and cornering traction
    • 3C Maxx Terra available
    • Tubeless Ready (TR) available
    • Wide trail (WT) casing is optimized for 35mm inner width rims
    Screenshot (33).png

Mikie likes this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    OK.... I happen to run this tire on the rear of my 140mm travel Knolly Endorphin. 26" 2.30" Exo TR. I've had it on since July (about 6 months - 24 rides - 300 miles including pavement). They show very little wear so far, and I do ride some pavement every ride.

I find it to be a little faster than the Maxxis High Roller I that had I had on there previously. It is also a better climbing, braking and cornering tire than the High Roller I. Prior to that, I was running a 2.2" Bontrager XR4 Team Issue TLR. I believe the Minion DHR II is about the same in speed as that tire, but it's been too long a gap between tires to compare with any confidence.

This is the first tire I have used tubeless on my Stans Flow rim, and so far it has been flawless. I didn't set it up, so I can't say whether it was easy or difficult. It does not weep sealant yet, and it has stayed inflated for as much as two weeks without riding.

I have never ridden a better rear tire, so I will get another when this one wears out. I am tempted to get something faster rolling like the Ikon, but those half-knob tires just don't cut it on steep runs (as I hear my friend's Ikon begging to find traction coming down 5-Oaks).

4. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I love my Maxxis DHR2 as well. But on a side note to your comment, I had a demo bike out at Aliso yesterday that came with a Schwalbe Rock Razor on the rear. I was worried it wouldn't hook up in the Aliso sand "stone." I hit 5 Oaks twice and didn't have any issue. Surprised the hell out of me. I still would never buy one (or any Schwalbe), but it's an interesting data point.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You probably just forgot to use your brakes! :thumbsup:

SoCal_Rider and Mikie like this.
  6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    The Maxxis Minion DHR II Mountain Bike Tire has been the best rear tire for me to date. I instantly noticed it to be very stable compared to other large volume tires. Tread pattern has proven to really hook up with multiple terrains although the predominant for Southern California is loose over hard pack. In the chunk my confidence has gone way up! No flats, no sidewall slices, no punctures of any kind on their Tubeless version. I still ride a 26'er so the weight is not as noticeable, I know these run a little heavy. None the less, I prefer to sacrifice a little weight for the proven DH experience they offer. I highly recommend the Maxxis Minon DHR II's! Great performance!

7. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    I'm kinda surprised. Visually, it looks like it would pedal and roll horribly.

Mikie likes this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I agree. The straight horizontal blocks look like paddles that would just suck up all forward momentum. The High Roller II by comparison has like seven straight channels when it is spinning that looks like it would allow for some easy speed. In reality, the opposite is true. The DHRII rolls acceptably well, while the HRII feels very slow.

Faust29, rojomas and Mikie like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
  10. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    This is what I also thought but after the rave reviews by herz & mikie I just ordered the combo yesterday, DHF 2.3 for the front & DHR II 2.3 in the rear. I know they won't disappoint...

11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Admittedly I have felt it to be a slightly slower roller than many other tires. But like mentioned when it came to weight I was willing to sacrifice just a little for the excellent trail "hook up" and stability in "G" Outs and cornering.

AND! This looks quite promising in regards to a more Enduro terrain oriented environment. Gonna have to try me some of that based on the happiness I have now!

herzalot and rojomas like this.
  12. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Yeah, you just made that up....

rojomas, Mikie, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  13. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Unfortunately Mikie, you will need to buy a new bike to try them on (for now at least). Only available in tweener size :(

herzalot, Mikie and doublewide like this.
  14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    NOT....HAPPY! :cautious: But Thanks!:)

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hahah! Yeah, as oppose to DH or XC... I guess...

16. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    herzalot and Mikie like this.
  17. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Mikie likes this.
  18. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    To me, it doesn't look slow because it looks heavy. It looks slow because like Herz said, the center paddles looks like they would suck up all forward energy. Typically, I look for tires with overlaping or tightly spaced center knobs. I do gotta say though, my new Tracer came with High Rollers and I was surprised that they didn't roll as bad as I thought they would.

19. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    They are good on both ends.

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Like @riiz stated, I imagine they could be good on both ends but I have experienced excellent results from the Minion DHF on the front end. It's designed for the front and delivers...

21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It delivers on the rear as well! Just installed a 2.3 on the rear and I am really liking it. It's unbelievable how well this tire rolls. Not to mention the incredible grip!

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I can totally see that...

UPSed likes this.
  23. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I ran DHF front and rear on my DH bike since 2009. :thumbsup: I do what I want.

Mikie, herzalot and UPSed like this.
  24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Information I could have used 7 years ago!

Mikie, herzalot and doublewide like this.
  25. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    For whatever reason I've been unhappy and switching out rear tires lately.
    Maxxis;
    High roller 2.. Good traction, but damn it rolled slow. felt like I was in mud all the time,
    after about 12 rides switched to;
    IKON. rolled a little faster, and climbed OK and descended ok but lacked traction. Particularly is there was even a "hint" of mud.
    Did not inspire confidence on anything other than dry pack dirt.
    after about 12 ride switched to;
    DHR 2. Got a deal on it form our own Hrz. installed and had the first ride today. Wet, little mud, climbing etc. This tire is as fast or faster rolling than the IKON, and the traction climbing and descending is exceptional. OK, $200 later I'm happy with the choice.

So in short, the DHR 2 is a very good tire compared to the other two maxxis tires I tried. Happy boy indeed!

If anyone is interest in very lightly used IKON or HR2 let me know.... :)

26. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I ran the Maxxis Ardent through a mudfest today. The mud on the FLoop is of the "sticky, yet slimy, do your best and I'll defeat you" type of mud.

While the tire doesn't shed fast, it does work. I only slalomed a little, and even on a 22% climb I wasn't spinning the tire as long as I remembered to sit and spin rather than stand and mash.

I was running the front at about 18-20 psi and the rear at about 22.

Mikie and Danimal like this.
  27. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    @Danimal I'd take that HR2 but I know it's the wrong size:) Glad you're liking the DHR2, what compound?

I've found with the Maxxi (plural Maxxis?) that rubber compound makes quite a difference. The dual compound (of either tread pattern) rolls better in the rear and lasts longer, the 3C Maxxterra on the front for the grip. A 3C in the rear definitely feels slower than the dual. I've used mostly DHR2 dual in the rear for years but have a HR2 dual right now (got a good deal) and can't tell much difference, except the DHR2 I was used to is quite a bit lighter than HR2 I have on there now....

Mikie, herzalot and Danimal like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @knucklebuster We both got the 2.30 dual durometer on the rear tires for longer wear (TR). I am running a 2.30 3c Minion DHF TR on the front. I think Danimal is too. BikeCo gives me a great price on Maxxis.

I am seeing a TON of Schwalbe Magic Marys where I used to see exclusively DHFs. I hear they are quite amazing. And they are still about $90 for the best compounds.

That said, I am super happy with my current combo, and I am stoked to hear that Dan likes his too.

29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Herzalot speaks the truth! :cool:

30. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    didn't say but my comments are for the 27.5 650b version.
    @knucklebuster it is the dual compound. i believe you are correct, that the dual compound is a faster rolling tire.
    That may be one reason the High Roller 2 is so sluggish feeling, and the IKON doesn't feel as fast as I thought it would.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?