Desert Riding 2017

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by evdog, Jan 20, 2017.

1. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    The way the weather has been lately we've been heading to the desert a lot. Maybe a dedicated thread is in order!

I'll start...

My first ride for the New Year was PCE, Jan 2. I took my friend Ben out there for his first time. Normally we get a big group out for New years, but I'd been sick over the holidays and hadn't planned on it, til this came up last last minute. Ended up being just two of us.

It was a little chilly at first but dirt conditions were all time

IMG_4667_zpsc46kaf1e.jpg

I was surprised there was only one other vehicle up top. We saw no one else til the sand wash where there were 3 hikers

DSC09783_zpse7ni6zxd.jpg

Would have been nice to have a view of snow capped San Jacinto's but we will have more chances for that this winter

IMG_4672_zpsz69cpxym.jpg

For the first time in 5 yrs or so there was water flowing at both Indian Potrero crossings. Great to see!

0218E1BC-1D13-4B0A-80B2-D25BF2AF2430_zpsamgggfuw.jpg

The sun came out riding up the wash. The wash was dry but packed pretty well

DSC09784_zpslm2maupy.jpg

IMG_4678_zpsit36f6mh.jpg

We started late so we finished late, getting some nice lighting on Hahn and Wildhorse

IMG_4681_zpssnbnotsw.jpg

Hahn is a bit beat up and someone has sanitized the couple rocky corners :(

IMG_4682_zpskktow8oc.jpg

Ben was kinda blown away by the enormity of the landscape we were riding through

DSC09788_zpsv06w4izq.jpg

I am every time, as well

DSC09789_zpsdk0fbw8l.jpg

We finished just before sunset and hit up the taco shop for food. Home before 8 made for a pretty good start to the new year!

2. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Weekend before last a few of us headed out to Anza Borrego to do a ride. Some wanted to ride Carrizo Gorge while others wanted a bigger ride. The solution was to combine em into one! Mileage looked sufficiently big but the elevation gain was comical, only 1,200ft over 45mi. 3600ft down though. The wildcard would be sand, but considering the sand wash in Palm Canyon is 1100ft up in under 4mi I was pretty sure we could handle the climbing on this ride.

A bit of clowning around to start

IMG_4707_zpsadu3cnk5.jpg

Right away on the tracks is a series of train cars that people somehow moved and caused to derail. They used to be a ways up on a siding. Of course people are all over it, including us

IMG_4698_zps9gi1wdzr.jpg

Continuing on

DSC09819_zpshbw1o8rg.jpg

Markings are all painted over but these cars are from Montreal, long way from home

DSC09807_zpsskapsnbv.jpg

Then more tunnels...

DSC09822_zpsl1wyrbsb.jpg

Lights are helpful in many and needed in a couple of longer ones

IMG_4737_zpsf7zszc5y.jpg

Not long after that we get to Goat Trestle, world's largest wooden train trestle. Place was packed! Tons of hikers, some other bikers, a few backpackers, and a bunch of motos.

IMG_4761_zps7de1dord.jpg

Motos all went around this tunnel. A hiker told us there was a big cave in, but said we may be able to get over it.

DSC09841_zpsn245ljb4.jpg

Bit of a hike, but we made it. The far side:

DSC09842_zpsmvl3f39z.jpg

Trucking along we see more carnage

DSC09853_zpscdsvhwlv.jpg

And as we continue the views down the canyon really open up.

DSC09846_zpsbwmtl7hp.jpg

Fun fact: there is riding on the opposite side of the canyon, high up that looks down over the railroad trestles. View from McCain valley - you can make out Goat Trestle on the right side.

DSC07501_zpshjosrs3l.jpg

By the time we got to our turnoff point it was noon and we still had 30miles to go. The shuttle was massive so we had gotten a late start...

We peeled away from the railway and into a wash / jeep road. It alternated from packed to sandy but generally headed slightly downhill

Open view of the desert

DSC09870_zpsu23uwh7r.jpg

We made short work of connecting to road S2, which we then rode along for a couple miles before dropping into Canyon sin nombre

DSC09872_zpsn2wn5xyr.jpg

This one was an easy pedal as it continued to trend slightly down

DSC09876_zpsordxxz6r.jpg

Our only navigational challenge was connecting Canyon sin nombre to Seco del diablo because a ton of different tracks and washes intersected there. Seco del diablo would be our "big" climb on the day, around 6-700ft over 8 miles.

IMG_4798_zps4xumhwlw.jpg

It was well packed and fast, we were able to carry 8-12mph

IMG_4810_zpsdbhucd2q.jpg

Eventually we topped out and had a short pedal to Diablo dropoff that dumps us into Fish Canyon

DSC09892_zpsms9fs39m.jpg

Views were excellent as was the light, it was getting into the golden hour by this point

DSC09896_zpsw9lud2um.jpg

Still 10mi to go, but Fish is also slightly downhill so we kept up a good pace

DSC09901_zps7qmq9cez.jpg

Approaching the narrows at Split Mountain

IMG_4823_zpsellqo6xl.jpg

Cool geology all around us

IMG_4828_zpsamzv1jhe.jpg

Great day on the bike! Carrizo is an experience, and I was stoked to connect it to Anza Borrego and get to explore a couple new to me canyons. There is still a ton out there to check out. If the rain continues I'm sure I will be back out there soon.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Well-Known Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    Great RR. Keep posting.

StrandLeper, mike and Tom the Bomb like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Highball Al SS
    Great RR's.....

Palm Canyon never lets you down.....one of the top 5 rides in So. Cal. Which reminds me....it is that time of year again. :rolleyes: hmmmmm.

I've been wanting to check out Carrizo Gorge for quite some time....maybe this will be the year I finally get it done.

5. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    That gorge looks awesome, and It's been on the list since @mike posted about it awhile back. I'd be very interested in the longer route. :thumbsup:

6. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Carrizo is awesome. The only downside to the long route is the 1:45 drive from start to end. But if you come down and camp, and ride both days it would not be bad. That was a lot of driving for a day ride.

Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  7. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    This weekend I went out to Phoenix for a quick trip. I couldn't get Friday off but ducked out early enough to arrive at a decent time. A friend of a friend accepted the challenge a couple years ago to create a 100mi ride in his backyard. This was year 3 of that event and I somehow got an invite. The one who posed the challenge is an old and angry singlespeeder so they called it the Curmudgeon 100, 100miles around the McDowells and Brown's Ranch in Scottsdale.

This would be by far my biggest all dirt ride ever and I was interested to see how I'd do. I've ridden this area a few times and knew the trails are generally fast, so was doing math in my head... to finish in daylight I'd need to maintain 8-10mph depending on stop time. Which was actually within the realm of possibility. Next question, would my knees and my butt hold up to 100mi? That was far less certain. But I'd have lights if I needed more time, and there are plenty of bailouts if I'd had enough.

530am start. Fortunately those coming from afar were offered accommodations

IMG_4841_zpsc7utjcxz.jpg

Stopping to pay the $2 entrance fee. $.02/mile is a bargain!

IMG_4843_zpsfbzi90z7.jpg

And they're off! Most of the field of 15 or so would not be seen again

IMG_4845_zpsbehy3u9u.jpg

First rest break around mile 30 below Tom's Thumb.

IMG_4848_zpslreggial.jpg

Top of the hardest climb, this one required a bit of HAB

IMG_4850_zpsukdsayve.jpg

Lots of high speed desert cruising

IMG_4851_zpsrktaxpxz.jpg

Not sure if it got humid or my lens was dirty. Either way, a cool spot near the mid point of the route

IMG_4852_zpsqwdhuw6k.jpg

Reward for finishing 50 miles by noon

IMG_4853_zpsdokm5ism.jpg

If only this could work in Socal. Being the badasses that we are, we entered the unmapped area

IMG_4854_zps1rszcy6o.jpg

There are some rather large, cool cactus in the back 40 of Brown's Ranch

IMG_4855_zpssrvrx3qb.jpg

IMG_4858_zpsbcos8zdp.jpg

I came across a couple deer that were nice enough to pose for a shot

IMG_4860_zpslkgz4r9v.jpg

Soon after, I was overtaken by some dark clouds that had been hanging out on the far side of the valley all morning. Forecast had shown chance of rain in the afternoon and it hit right on schedule. And when I say hit, it was biblical and I was soaked almost instantly. Then as quickly as it arrived, the storm and lightning moved off. With 35mi left in the route and water everywhere I initially thought my ride was over. Being on the backside of beyond, I would have to carry on the route a ways even to bail and as I did the skies cleared up, the trails drained and I quickly decided finishing on trail would be a lot more satisfying and less miserable than a long pavement ride back on wet, busy roads.

Sun came out, rainbows appeared and all was good in the world

IMG_4872_zpsxoyjkupx.jpg

Complete double rainbow

IMG_4875_zpsp6ke5zmo.jpg

The only smell I like more than napalm in the morning is rain in the desert

IMG_4880_zpsfq72dkxt.jpg

Rain was on and off the rest of the way but trails were great, they just rode a little slower than before. I didn't even need glasses.

IMG_4881_zps9dcwaabz.jpg

I got back to the cooler, mile 90, right at last light. One more beer to power me home.

IMG_4883_zpsb8zk0wsg.jpg

It was mostly downhill back to Jeff's house. Dark to dark, I finished in 14 hours, a little slower than I thought I could do because of the rain delay but I was stoked to finish at all. Others finished up to 4 hours earlier, and most were done 2 hours before me.

This was not my longest ride ever, we did 113mi in Death Valley but that was 70mi of pavement. But this was much more satisfying being almost 100% sweet singletrack. Maybe next year I will be angry enough to do it on a singlespeed. If I finished that, I would be guaranteed a faster time!

IMG_4888_zpsuyguaiwj.jpg

bvader, Faust29, MrGreedom and 27 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer 275c DVO
    Well done sir - and great RR! :thumbsup:

mike, StrandLeper and Tom the Bomb like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Three great rides this season!!!

StrandLeper and Tom the Bomb like this.
  10. tfitz

tfitz Member

Name:
    tom fitz
    Thanks for the stoke. I am planning to ride skyline regional park Thursday then make the rounds gotta get some trail 100 in it's kinda my local trail when there.

Tom the Bomb, Luis and StrandLeper like this.
  11. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    That looks like my kinda 100 miler! How do you get in on that? Let me know if its possible Evdog! I could bring a Bomb Squad with me!

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  12. Old Skool

Old Skool Active Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    That looks like a blast, I may want to take that ride w/ you Tom, just need to ramp up my saddle time a bit :(

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  13. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I may not be able to get you guys an invite, they were trying to keep the group small after a similar ride got shut down. But you can ride the route any day of the year if you want to, its all public.

Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.
  14. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Another ride from last weekend...

With weather forecasts looking bad for most places last weekend we opted for Palm Springs. Forecast looked good but up top looked questionable, so I threw out the idea of doing a loop from the bottom. A few people took the bait...

Preparing to ride from Vons in PS

IMG_4895_zpskgypy4em.jpg

We climbed up the dirt road up through the Goat Trails and then diverted onto some of the singletrack

DSC09916_zpslzezge4k.jpg

Riding turned to pushing in places especially the switchbacks near the top of Wildhorse. Some of us (not me) rode most of it.

DSC09922_zpsizogi7gk.jpg

Attaining the ridgeline things got a lot easier

DSC09924_zpskwxydkxv.jpg

Views were pretty meh

IMG_4907_zpsyzo4ttv5.jpg

Climbing up to the Wildhorse Saddle with the Murray Peak Trail in the distance

DSC09926_zpsiuwiuyt1.jpg

Murray Peak was our first destination, the top of which is a few tough switchbacks away on the right

IMG_4918_zps6f86ghax.jpg

Lunch time at the top. And looking at, but not looking forward to, Dunn Road

601DCB72-D8F0-4B7F-AAF5-6E080608AA8C_zpsq6p8bvvg.jpg

We were getting pretty tired of the crappy views by this point

IMG_4934_zpsfo02hxmv.jpg

Lots of fun switchbacks and cool rock on the way down though

IMG_4942_zpsmfqamdeg.jpg

Really fun riding and dirt conditions were all time with recent rains

DSC09945_zpsyosxzwy3.jpg

From the bottom of Murray Peak we took a shortcut that lead us up to Dunn Rd, which we suffered up for awhile. Original plan was to drop Cindy's, then climb back up Dunn Rd and do Arts Johnson. But we changed plans mid ride and opted to circumnavigate Hahn instead of dropping Cindy's. None of the guys had ridden Cindy's, Art's or Vandeventer/Fern before. Cindy's is far from my favorite trail and it would be a 1.5-2 hr loop to do that one and climb back up, so we decided to take Fern around to bottom of Hahn and then Vandeventer to the sand wash.

At one of the Vandeventer intersections

IMG_4960_zpschgd0pur.jpg

Dropping into a wash

DSC09954_zpsem1iqm74.jpg

Been awhile since I did Vandeventer, there is a cool narrow section the trail goes through at one point

IMG_4966_zpsshcllf0r.jpg

Took a sandwich break at the sand wash. It seemed dry but was well packed, I stayed on it the whole way up

DSC09958_zpsdeg8j8wo.jpg

On to Art's Johnson. Everyone liked this one for an ending

DSC09959_zpsqkpmjb4n.jpg

I agree it's fun but I still think Wildhorse/Goats has the best value/payoff

IMG_4979_zpstet5zrae.jpg

Good times... we had a beer at Vons and then some mexican down the road.

Faust29, PATKOUG, MrGreedom and 18 others like this.
  15. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Good call on the route change that would have been really tough. Great pics , any route stats? You got all the goods. The climb up the East side of Murray peak is a butt pucker!

mike likes this.
  16. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    Hightower, 29r Hardtail
    I've never done any palm canyon riding but I'd like to next weekend. It seems like the good introductory route would be climbing art smith, hahn and fern as an out and back. Can anyone confirm?

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  17. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I think the ride was 23mi and +/-4800ft. And yeah, the climb back up Dunn out of Cindy's would have sucked. No regrets missing that one in favor of more singletrack.

Ebruner, not sure I'd call going up Art Smith a good introductory route. I have climbed it a couple times. It is probably easier than the climb up Wildhorse overall, but the first mile or so would be mostly hike a bike. Then it becomes more rideable. Going back down it will seem like a lot more work than you would expect. It is not an easy trail in either direction. Honestly the best introductory Palm Canyon route is to just do the traditional Palm Canyon epic as a shuttle. Post up here and you may get some takers, or sign up for a seat on Crazy Bear shuttle. The route you mention is an option, but exiting via Wildhorse or Arts Johnson would make for a much easier ending if you don't mind some easy pavement miles to close the loop.

Faust29, Tom the Bomb, mike and 4 others like this.
  18. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    Hightower, 29r Hardtail
    Thanks for the tip. I just booked a spot on teh shuttle on 2/11 for my buddy and I. My birthday is 3 days before so I'm going to consider it a bday present to myself. Is wildhorse better to end with or Art's Johnson? And is art's johnson the same thing as art smith or is it another trail? TIA.

Tom the Bomb and mtnbikej like this.
  19. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Art Smith and Arts Johnson are different trails. AJ splits off AS about 50 feet from the top of AS at Mike's Desert Oasis. AJ is visible but not wide or well established like AS. Should be obvious if you're paying attention.

For your first time doing the ride I always take people on the standard route which is Wildhorse to Goat Trails ending, doing that full route IMO is the best return for your effort. The route is Palm Canyon - sand wash - up and over Hahn Buena Vista - Cathedral Canyon - Dunn Rd for 150m - Fern - Wildhorse - Goat Trails.

Maybe someone can post a strava route of that or something that can be downloaded. I'm not on strava.

As for which is better, both are good, just different. To ride AJ you avoid some climbing and get a quicker exit on a fun trail. But you also miss out on a lot of fun singletrack that you get on the standard route, and you lose some final elevation in a sand wash and pavement rather than on singletrack. You can do AJ next time, because you will be back for more...

20. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    A couple weeks ago I went out to AZ for some riding. Weather was looking sucky in San Diego and dubious in AZ but at least Friday looked like a sure thing. I figured I'd be able to ride somewhere the other days and it would be more than I'd get in at home.

I checked in with a friend of mine John and he had Friday open, so we threw out some ideas. I've only done 2 rides on BCT and that was years ago, so I've been wanting to get out and ride it again. He was interested, but which sections? All of them! John was game so we made plans to meet 6am at the Emery Henderson TH. It was an hour+ drive to the northern terminus.

Interestingly, there is no trailhead kiosk or even a sign there aside from a carsonite post marking the route. We unloaded, and were off shortly after sunrise. The trail starts with about 3 miles of doubletrack before the singletrack begins.

DSC09962_zpsp4dktiuz.jpg

This segment does not see much traffic at all. The trail for the first while was pretty faint, but in good shape and flowed well.

20170217_080739_zpsocurnrzz.jpg
    Photo by Schillingsworth

Like the AZT there were plenty of gates to go through. This one was the cadillac of them all

DSC09973_zps0hbhegzl.jpg

Although we were getting on towards 9am the cloud cover left it looking more like dawn

DSC09976_zpsspp6gagy.jpg

Lots of big open country up there. I recently read there are plans to connect BCT over to Prescott or Cottonwood, another 40 miles away

IMG_5311_zps2fqgtzhc.jpg

Cruising along we get into some rockier sections. Overall it is more gentle descending than climbing, though it feels as if you're always climbing

IMG_5310_zpsipjrrldl.jpg

Perfect flowing singletrack

IMG_5324_zpszin1hibw.jpg

Soon enough we get to the Antelope Creek section which is much more heavily ridden, and one of the better segments of the trail

20170217_114057_zps6a4sco7r.jpg
    Photo by Schillingsworth

We took a break here where we ran into the first (and only??) riders we'd see that day

DSC09983_zpsgzryhnop.jpg

Perfect place to stop as the views are great and the trail really gets fun right away

DSC09995_zpsdhurrftt.jpg

Many miles of fun riding ensued

DSC00002_zpsuc05ek09.jpg

I love trails like this that stay up high for long distances

DSC00008_zpsiz7vdmf9.jpg

IMG_5327_zpsm3lizhpx.jpg

Hiking not allowed?

IMG_5329_zps1yclrlce.jpg

We did see one hiker. No yetis to speak of though.

IMG_5331_zpsmsyceloq.jpg

Sun came out again later as we were getting closer to Rock Springs

20170217_125722_zps6eduobgs.jpg
    Photo by Schillingsworth

IMG_5334_zpske9c3knt.jpg

Agua Fria river crossings definitely required shoe removal unless we wanted wet feet

IMG_5343_zpsthzxvirs.jpg

John got this awesome shot of me climbing out of the crossing. I've already been called out for not making the turn. I did, just on try #2 :D

IMG_20170218_143155_918_zps3oufcdvn.jpg
    Photo by Schillingsworth

At this point we were still over 30 miles from the end and had around 3 hours of daylight. No problem, we thought...

Except the riding gets tougher and thus slower. I seem to have selective memory about sections like this. There was definitely some HAB involved through here...

DSC00021_zpsnlihhnne.jpg

And some water crossings to deal with.

"Think shallow thoughts!"

DSC00022_zpscgri550c.jpg

It did get shallower out of sight to the right.

John on Chanel No.4

IMG_5359_zpsumsxgavf.jpg

Climbing somewhere above Black Canyon City. Apparently there was some thought to bailing out on the rest of the ride but I must have been oblivious, so we continued on to the next water crossing and climb.

DSC00019_zpsvtptv3dg.jpg

Approaching the top of the Skyline climb south of BCC

20170217_133953_zpsnuuptmdo.jpg
    Pic by Schillingsworth

Love these crossings, except when there is a dead cow hung up on it. None today thankfully...

IMG_5361_zpskem9gblu.jpg

We made it almost to the start of the Little Pan loop before it was time to turn lights on. John had never seen this crossing more than a few feet wide and it looked shallow, so he started riding across. It got deeper and deeper and ended almost waist deep after he eventually picked the bike up and waded across. I angled across where it was shallower.

IMG_5373_zpspsaebzxz.jpg

We kept plodding along in the dark. The trail seemed a lot more rocky and rubbly than I remembered. End of Little Pan is as far south as I had ridden. It got a bit better past there but definitely not fast riding.

DSC00028_zpsaylcli6c.jpg

My main light went out about 6 miles from the end, fortunately I had my camping headlamp as a backup. I hadn't expected to ride this much in the dark so had just one battery for my magicshine.

Marks the end of Boy Scout loop! Not far to go now...

IMG_5377_zpsrdqwvfpr.jpg

It was a fast few final miles to the trailhead, and then another couple north to where we had to park because the trailhead gate don't open at 6am!

We finished with 75 mi on the day and around 5,500ft gain. We didn't technically ride the whole trail - there is another 6 miles south of Emery Henderson but it is flat/sandy/vague for 4 miles and then 2 of dirt road. No thanks.

Still having to retrieve shuttle we enjoyed a beer while packing up and then stopped at McD's for a salt and grease fix! It was pretty late by the time we were on the way down, but with rain starting to threaten we dared not hang out up north there, that dirt that turns to death mud when wet.

Great day on the bike while San Diego got rained on!

21. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Pssst hey @Mikie we really need to carve out some time and go riding with @evdog ...

Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and evdog like this.
  22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona

I see that you got your Schillingsworth out of that ride. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BCT is such incredible XC riding. It's probably my favorite overall out there.

Tom the Bomb and evdog like this.
  23. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    @Voodoo Tom Anytime!

Tom the Bomb and Voodoo Tom like this.
  24. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Here's a bonus TR for the BCT weekend:

Saturday was a bit of a crap shoot weather wise. Forecast was looking iffy in Phx area but looked clear in the afternoon in both the Yuma and Palm Springs/Joshua Tree areas.

After a couple hour nap at the rest stop I headed down to the rec area at Buckeye where I could sleep under a ramada and not worry about any rain.

I slept in til 10, the campers in their RVs probably thought I was crazy but it kept me dry when rains came through early morning

5256_zpsrhaqrpg5.jpg

I decided to ride in Yuma due to a shorter drive - they have a fun trail system near town (see trailforks). But by the time I got there the forecast had changed from morning showers to afternoon rain. And rain it did. Forecast rain kept getting extended til there was no time left to ride. So I wrote the day off, and decided to try and camp near Salton Sea. I pulled into a couple campsite but they were all full, and extremely muddy. I almost didn't make it out of them due to slippery mud.

Headed up to my go-to site above Palm springs instead.

It had plenty room but was only marginally better mud wise. Not sure how some of the people camped at the back end got out.

5261_zpsqhwfydvp.jpg

I did a fun local loop in PS I hadn't ever checked out before

5275_zpsynhptor7.jpg

It was a solid climb up

5283_zpsii69bmay.jpg

Flowers were out

5286_zpso6ll0bcw.jpg

Great views near the top

5295_zpsdbdmjw8h.jpg

5297_zpsjfgvdo7r.jpg

Just a bit more climbing

5308_zpssyl1ka3l.jpg

Til more views

5311_zpscztvwgmy.jpg

5316_zpsadbkijzr.jpg

Trails were perfect with a bit of rain

5318_zps0ebitrus.jpg

And some fun stuff lower down I hadn't known existed

5324_zps4ermjrso.jpg

Slept in, got in a solid ride, and got home before sunset while San diego was drying itself off from another round of storms plus the BCT ride made for an awesome weekend.

25. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Another AZ weekend....

Every winter I tell myself I need to do more trips to AZ. But every winter, I never seem to get out as many times as I want. This winter was going well so far, made it out a couple times already to do the Curmudgeon 100 and BCT rides. I still wanted to get in an AZT Picketpost ride before things get too hot. I'm a bit Sedona'd out but have never done the Arizona Endurance Series Sedona big friggin loop or Prescott Monstercross rides, so those along with a Lemmon drop shuttle that got posted last week were on my list for a road trip.

Forecast had been showing good temps for Fri & Sun and hot Saturday. But as it worked out the forecast tamed and I figured the SBFL would be a good option for Friday with hopefully lesser weekday hiker traffic.

Slight hitch discovered when loading the bike. Replacement of this particular spoke required removal of cassette, rotor, tire, rim tape, and due to difficulty re-mounting tire, delayed me a couple hours starting my ride.

IMG_5987%202_zpskygzqhpn.jpg

Finally got up to Sedona and started riding around 1030. O'dark finish here I come!

IMG_5990_zpsijlj9dy6.jpg

I had a good run up and down Hiline. Cleaned the climb, and only hiked one section down I didn't want to chance early in a big ride. Lots of hikers on Hiline, but none past the high point fortunately.

IMG_5993_zpsrgs1zync.jpg

Uneventful ride for a while. I'd go for long stretches seeing no one then run into a bunch of hikers and bikes at once. Lost my flip flops crossing oak creek when I stumbled at the deepest point and they floated out of reach.

This isn't oak creek, but it was nice to see Dry creek not dry! I unnecessarily took my shoes off for this crossing, it looked muddy but had a solid gravel base.

IMG_5998_zpsjtrcobca.jpg

When trails up creek beds turn into creeks

IMG_6001_zpsbuaovgtv.jpg

View from Aerie. Saw no one on this trail!

DSC00479_zpsrs231szc.jpg

Mezcal, awesome as always. Had it all to myself!

IMG_6005_zpsdgqweabv.jpg

IMG_6006_zpsqttecqpz.jpg

Further on Chuckwagon, perennially muddy water hole

IMG_6012_zps2solnusj.jpg

More Chuckwagon

IMG_6014_zpscowbotsq.jpg

Teacup really is my cup of tea, some nice solid tech riding though it proved tough at this stage of the day

IMG_6018_zps7irjiaur.jpg

I was getting a bit concerned about how late I'd finish but there were more fast pavement miles than expected which put me onto the Hogs before last light.

IMG_6023_zpshtjvn6z0.jpg

IMG_6025_zpsqbkmsnas.jpg

I thought, no problem, should be done in an hour. That was wishful thinking as always. The AES site warned to follow the GPS track carefully since the route didn't always take the obvious trail. So I watched it... go up a couple washes where I was sure the trail didn't go, only to figure out finally the track is just off. Lost a few minutes for that a couple times, and combined with a general loss of coordination for tech riding due to fatigue, a slowed pace kept me going til around 9pm. Not a bad time for such a long ride and Sedona miles, but I'd been hoping to finish earlier. Very glad I did the ride, it was a lot of high quality miles on a great route that I was happy to finally get to ride.

levity, BeckTrex, littlewave and 6 others like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon SS and Highball
    His ride reports put most of us to shame!

27. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    No doubt...

SnakeCharmer, Tom the Bomb and evdog like this.
  28. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    @evdog thank you sir for sharing your ride adventures with some of us simple peasants :notworthy:

Tom the Bomb, SnakeCharmer and evdog like this.
  29. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks guys, you're welcome to ride with me anytime!

Tom the Bomb and SnakeCharmer like this.
  30. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Picketpost was the main ride I wanted to do this weekend. Schillingsworth thought he could ride Sunday but then remembered he had a work shift scheduled that day. On Friday our friend Shannon connected me with another rider Arturo who wanted to ride PP on Saturday, so that became the plan.

Only problem was, my ride in Sedona went late and we were planning to meet in Kelvin 730. Well, I guess long days and sleep deprivation are part of bikepacker training right? So I had a few hours nap at the rest stop on 17 and then finished the 3 hour drive to Picketpost TH. This gave me some time to get the bike prepped, eat breakfast, get ready to ride and then drive down to Kelvin.

Interestingly when we got down there we were told by ADOT not to park at the usual lot just across the bridge. They were starting construction on a new bridge that very day and needed it clear for machinery.

After years of riding in AZ I've yet to see a Gila monster in the wild. Encountered one on this ride though it wasn't exactly the species I had been hoping to see! (MTBR's Gilamonster)

DSC00483_zpsrttojg9w.jpg

Was great to ride with Phil though, haven't seen him since the Queen's ransom bikepack a couple years ago

IMG_6037_zpsd0px2gxc.jpg

Arturo climbing below Picketpost mountain

IMG_6040_zps1tmlh1rx.jpg

It was around here Phil decided to call it a day. He'd had a crash on the rocks and with little riding this year wasn't enjoying the climb. Thanks for joining us for a little at least Phil, hope to ride again soon!

IMG_6059_zpsglde5tbl.jpg

A lot of the hill sides were stunning, covered in solid yellow

IMG_6074_zpsfigabevm.jpg

First overlook

IMG_6079_zpsrtftt3hz.jpg

One of my favorite sections

IMG_6086_zpstmjmtb98.jpg

Some nice new gates have been installed, very classy looking!

IMG_6099_zpsi7irlbgh.jpg

Entering Martinez Cyn

IMG_6110_zps2cfznw7h.jpg

Great views. The yellow hillsides don't show up well in pics, but they are covered

IMG_6116_zpsbw7mpa7c.jpg

Saw a couple equestrians coming so we pulled over at a flat-ish spot. They were real friendly, doing a thru-ride from Oracle to PP

IMG_6117_zpstzz6uud6.jpg

Great views open up approaching the saddle

IMG_6125_zpsojolrpv4.jpg

I was hoping to get some great action shots through here but I had a minor mechanical as my handlebars decided to rotate forward on me once, and again after I tightened them. Arturo got way ahead at the most scenic part of the ride, so I only got bike shots

IMG_6148_zpsr60ls4iu.jpg

IMG_6157_zpsja4y8wo1.jpg

Passing the saddle we saw the first of a few backpackers we'd encounter

DSC00526_zpsr9rqu0zp.jpg

And then got into the scenic descent

DSC00527%202_zpsnzkazxzo.jpg

DSC00530_zpsb1tegxpg.jpg

IMG_6161_zpsdevrhjqu.jpg

I always complain I never get a bluebird day for Picketpost. Well, got one finally today!

IMG_6169_zpsaxbqvlyg.jpg

Dropping down

IMG_6171_zpspmemlvvn.jpg

Crossing to the west side of the canyon

DSC00533_zpsjvhwq013.jpg

More great color

DSC00535_zpsolt3zjig.jpg

Ocotillo in bloom. Everything was in bloom

IMG_6188_zpse3fvltzv.jpg

This is SlowBro, first of many thru or section hikers we'd encounter before Kelvin. I thought the umbrella was pretty ingenious. Wonder if I could pull one off for Oracle to PP during the 300 if it is real hot

927AF9B6-9628-45F1-9E20-DE03C53E024F_zpsoakthw7n.jpg

Looking back at Dale's butte

IMG_6195_zpsjswet2zd.jpg

We stopped to filter water at the Gila. Slow going due to all the silt

IMG_6205_zpsdqbasjha.jpg

We only had a couple hours light to finish the 18 miles. After slagging Schilling that we would finish in the light since he couldn't make it, guess who was going to finish in the dark??

IMG_6223_zpsvtmzqtgn.jpg

Saguaro stand

IMG_6227_zpsfesq7ubx.jpg

Things were so green down by the river!

DSC00543_zpsib2t4tho.jpg

Getting into the golden hour. Just before this I scared up a huge pack of javelinas right on the trail. Didn't realize those things could run so fast or jump so high!

IMG_6236_zps7uc0lt0v.jpg

Fading light. Still one climb and descent to go

IMG_6244_zpsbdltecep.jpg

We turned lights on at the final climb. That climb seemed crappier than normal. The machine work done recently left it with a loose surface that made climbing more difficult on anything more than a moderate slope. Hopefully that loose surface will either pack down or wash away in rains.

IMG_6251_zpszzewflfv.jpg

We finished just before 8pm, another great day on the trail. Phil dropped Arturos rig back at Kelvin so I didn't have to return to PP.

Thanks for the beers Phil! And for the ride Arturo! Picketpost was good times as always, though it was punishing after doing SBFL the day before. But I'll blame all the photos for the late finish... :)