Dangerous Day in Whiting

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by knucklebuster, Dec 10, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Heading up Borrego, a guy was helping another walk back towards the trail entrance, the one guy looked a little dazed and had a splint on his leg, and seemed like he couldn't move his head when we asked if they needed any help. A little further is a guy walking 2 bikes out, said his friend broke his leg. Ugh.

On the Sleepy Hollow downhill, another fella laying on the ground, paramedics there already, and a helo waiting off the side off Whiting road. Not sure if he had broken leg but for sure a deep gash and bleeding alot. When we saw him and his group earlier at 4 corners, none were wearing helmets, so hope he didn't have a head injury.

A little ironic, the rangers were handing out free handlebar bells at the Borego trailhead, to make the trails safer for all users. Not that that would have kept these two guys from crashing, but still.
    IMAG2067.jpg
    IMAG2066.jpg

Cyclotourist, Grego, mtnbikej and 8 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hate to see that. I hope neither was hurt too badly, and I still can't believe people will ride a mtb without a helmet, especially the inexperienced.

3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    @knucklebuster from the title I was thinking about @DangerDirtyD ride or something like that but to my surprise it was about fallen riders...no bueno.
    Hope they are ok. When climbing skyline I wear a cap and the helmet strapped on my backpack or if a short ride and no pack the helmet goes into the bars. But when riding down helmet is in use !

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Those are called safety breaks. We temporarily pause the ride to don safety equipment before continuing. Lots a dudes don't like climbing with helmets, etc.

5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Stay safe my friends....

HBkites, Oaken, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    If you have good visibility on your climb, great. But if you encounter fast dh traffic unexpectedly and experience a collision, you might wish you had kept your skid lid on.

HBkites, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  7. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Pretty sure this was the bike the second guy who crashed on Sleepy Hollow was riding. At first glance I thought it was a URT bike, but even better, it's actually a folding bike. Didn't look to see if the bike was still in one piece as we went by...

hummer-bike-fold1.jpg

jaime, Obsidian, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I hit the dirt on climbs often enough to require a lid at all times.

9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I never, ever remove my helmet. Maybe it is from my days in the military :) Maybe it is from being hit by cars, twice.

That said, I still am confused about people getting medivaced from Whiting. I guess anyone can have a bad moment and go OTB, but there really isn't any technical anything in the whole park.

herzalot and pperrelle like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at   7.05 PM 1.png