Crank Brothers Mallet Enduro Pedals

Discussion in 'Clipped' started by Mikie, Dec 25, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CalEpic

CalEpic Member

Name:
    Craig
    I've been riding a set of Mallet E's for about a year and love them. Previously I rode the same bike with Candy's and have another bike with Egg Beaters. The main difference for me is that the platforms on the Mallet E's provide more foot support on long, fast descents. With the Egg's I will get a hot spot on my foot above the cleat.
    Someone mentioned earlier about liking the idea of being able to ride unclipped on the platforms - that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. You'll think you're unclipped riding through that gnarly section, then go to dab and find out your cleat found it's rightful home attached to the pedal. As my friend Steppie would say, No Bueno!

2. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @CalEpic blast from the past. Interesting I just had to ride out of clips for moments on Joplin just this last week, works fine for me, but I know when I am in vs not. All around I love these pedals.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Like Stephen, I too had to ride parts of a sloppy Joplin with cold feet unclipped - and it didn't work very well. Sidi Dominator on Shimano XT Trails. That experience and this thread got me thinking (too much). First, if you are trying to have your cake and eat it too - pins AND clips, then the shoe makes a world of difference. A Sidi Dominator or other hard-soled XC shoe will not really bite on the pins of a Mallet in a holy crap moment, will they? The arch area of the shoe is hard and slippery, and the unengaged cleat hitting the binding will keep the forefront area disengaged from the pins also.

So I just bought a pair of 5-10 Kestrel lace, and I will try both my HT - T1 "enduro" pedals and my friend's HT- DH1 clip and pin combo to see if there really is a perfect world where you can ride confidently clipped or unclipped. Mind you, I am no newb to clipping in and out. I've been doing it (almost exclusively on Shimanos - with moments of Time, CB and HT) since 1991.

I think the perfect solution for me would actually be to run a set of flats (pins, no bindings, no cleats) on a set of shoes with a typical 5-10 DH sole, but cut in a more XC pattern with a stiff shank for pedaling power. Seems the only shoes made for flat pedals are big, bulky, flexy, skate-style shoes.

Danmtchl, Cisco Roots, UPSed and 7 others like this.
  4. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    This is what I don't really like about flat pedal shoes. I have a pair of 510 Impacts. They feel like elevator shoes. I'd like a shoe with a thinner, stiffer sole, and not feel like I'm lacing up a pair of snowboard boots.

5. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Danmtchl, tortoise, kioti and 4 others like this.
  6. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    All of those are dedicated for using cleats. How about a shoe like those with no cleat recess?

That Adidas looks fantastic, if it has a stiff shank for efficient pedaling.

Danmtchl, bvader and Mikie like this.
  8. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Look carefully Those ALP Xs come with the bolt on cleat recess covers i.e. can be used with / without cleats... yup they do...

All though that said... I am only 85% on the shoe.... good ... not great.

Danmtchl, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Not to be argumentative - oh, what the heck, to BE argumentative - cleat covers are not the same as a complete sole, or a complete soul.

Danmtchl, Mikie, RS VR6 and 1 other person like this.
  10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Fair enough...Lol....But we did start on clippless and drifted.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Keep your feet clipped in, and it is all a non factor. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Cisco Roots, Luis and 4 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I only have the problem when riding new trails where the tech factor is high and my confidence is lacking. Having followed you for much of Joplin, you are definitely entitled to issue that statement. Confident and skilled in sketchy situations, on a bike that does not forgive sloppy riding. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Cisco Roots, bvader and 4 others like this.
  13. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Glad I came across this thread! A little late though as I’ve already purchased some CB Enduro pedals. Seems like the feedback from these pedals on here are mostly positive so hoping I made the right choice.

For pretty much most of my riding life I have been using XT trail pedals which work great but the riding up in Seattle has made me reconsider the XT pedals and many times wishing I had flats. Some of trails up here are just straight up gnarly, wet, rooty, and steep! I need a pedal that I can ride unclipped for certain sections.

My initial thinking was that of @herzalot , some shoes such as the sidis, giros, have hard soles that won’t bite the pins. So I did some research and came across the Shimano SH-ME7 shoe. The sole is a Michelin rubber sole that is meant to grip both on and off the pedal. Perfect for those slippery roots when I need to cross a stream over a wet slippery log or bridge. The soft rubber will also bite the pins when unclipped. I’m also hoping that in the case they do come unclipped they will grab the pedal so I still have traction on the pedal.

http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/us/fw/products/offroad/18ss_003sh_me7.php

Another benefit I have read of these pedals is that they shed mud and grime much better than SPDs. Not much of a problem in SoCal but up here that’s a major benefit. Most everyone I ride with up here has CB pedals.

Have not tested or ridden this combo yet but I’m hoping I got it right! If I have issues I’ll let y’all know.

BTW, did a little test to see how the pedals clipped without shins first, had trouble clipping so had to apply the shins and lower the pins.

RS VR6, Faust29, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  14. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I can say with the Enduro Mallets that if you "get unclipped" in some rough / chunk with a softer soled shoe you can absolutely ride it out on the platform of you can't get clipped in. I know that from experience with the Alp-X and Specialized 2F0 Cliplite which turned out to be great shoes for the Mallets (expensive but excellent).

With my old harder soled lugged shoes the advantage was less.

Also think they pair better with less lugged shoes.

Cisco Roots, Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have a set of the Mallet 3s... From before they had all of the enduro models. I've put them on for Cannell the last couple years and they are pretty solid. They are the only Crank Brothers pedal that I haven't managed to break in 6 months. Now they just see occasional duty, but they were the daily pedal on my first few bikes and have only needed a little grease every now and then.

Now, let's never talk about CB Egg Beaters...

Cisco Roots likes this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    They are great pedals....:they are the only ones I know of that regenerate into new ones every 6 months.

herzalot, RS VR6, Cisco Roots and 3 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Now, let's never talk about CB Egg Beaters...

You broke the rule!

mtnbikej likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?